Author Topic: Arrival in Dementlieu  (Read 4132 times)

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
Arrival in Dementlieu
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »
Feedback!

First time headed to Dementlieu and rose got a bit excited about the docks. Walks up and BAM, army of calibans jumped her. I would potentially suggest a lill sign outside the zone that warns people of nightly dangers in the city? Might have expected a few wererats but that was out of this world deadly!  Thanks for taking in suggestions!
"And when everyone is special.. no one will be!"
Player of Rose Twain

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: Arrival in Dementlieu
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
Additionally those Brutes should DEFINITELY give some xp for the fight they put up, lol.
: )

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:29 PM »
Additionally those Brutes should DEFINITELY give some xp for the fight they put up, lol.

They put up a fight? I've been soloing the port since level 8.... not that I'm a power builder at all...  :oops:

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »

They put up a fight? I've been soloing the port since level 8.... not that I'm a power builder at all...  :oops:

Did over 100 dmg to me in one round of combat, took three firebrands, a fireball, a lightning bolt, two magic missiles and a Green Slaad to kill the three of them.

It isn't so much that they're that dangerous (their ab isn't great, if I had had buffs up I doubt they could have hit me) but it's the fact that it's the first transition off of the vardo and if you're not already familiar with them, you're not going to be ready for them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:05:21 AM by BahamutZ3RO »
: )

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
Those were just caliban brutes, pansies compared to some in the streets at night. They only get the jump on you once though, now you know.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
Why not remove the caliban brutes from the marchand all together?

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
I think the biggest issue isn't how hard they were but how soon they are after the transition. At least at night in Vallaki the gates are closed off to keep us out and the Gypsy camp + western outskirts are relatively free of wandering monsters. But if you arrive in Dementlieu with bright eyes and shinny new hopes, you get little to no leeway  :lol:
Player of Rose Twain

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
Well they're only there for half the time, arrive during the day and they are no where to be seen ;)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
They also seem to lack an interest in following you through transitions, which makes it easier to avoid or escape them.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »
They also seem to lack an interest in following you through transitions, which makes it easier to avoid or escape them.

They actually do sometimes transition and kill the vistani caravan master rather often if people are not careful.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Though I think it's rather amusing when the caravan master goes down... Then you get to RP getting stranded in the Port! Though... Really, it's not being stranded. The city is a utopia compared to Barovia  :D

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »

Not true at all, they killed me and another poor sod that was standing there in safety.
Player of Rose Twain

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
The city is a utopia compared to Barovia  :D

That depends. The average Barovian serf probably has it better than the average Ouvrier resident. The velvet glove of Dementlieuse society hides a profound social malaise and simmering class war; and the iron fist that grips the of reins power is even more insidious and controlling than Strahd is. I mean, you have the option of rebelling against Strahd. Sure, he'll kill you and your family for it if he catches you. But it's possible. Try crossing D'Honoraire and see how you f--

I'm sorry, I'm talking utter and complete codswollop. I am a slanderous swine and deserve only public opprobrium and disdain for even for a moment countenancing the very idea that the most honourable and righteous Councillor is anything but a pinnacle of enlightenment, a distilled refinement of virtue and a very pillar of society. I should be hanged.

(But yes, to an external, casual inspection, it's an utopia compared to Barovia. :P)
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

GraveThatGoesYards

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Just show up during the day? The same as half the towns, although they do have rediculous sneak attack damage in groups, especially if they get lucky and crit an IKD, you just wanna cry at lower levels.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 02:38:22 AM »
The city is a utopia compared to Barovia  :D

That depends. The average Barovian serf probably has it better than the average Ouvrier resident. The velvet glove of Dementlieuse society hides a profound social malaise and simmering class war; and the iron fist that grips the of reins power is even more insidious and controlling than Strahd is. I mean, you have the option of rebelling against Strahd. Sure, he'll kill you and your family for it if he catches you. But it's possible. Try crossing D'Honoraire and see how you f--

I'm sorry, I'm talking utter and complete codswollop. I am a slanderous swine and deserve only public opprobrium and disdain for even for a moment countenancing the very idea that the most honourable and righteous Councillor is anything but a pinnacle of enlightenment, a distilled refinement of virtue and a very pillar of society. I should be hanged.

(But yes, to an external, casual inspection, it's an utopia compared to Barovia. :P)

Sarkath flat out refuses to go to Dementlieu, it's frightening on a level about equal to Castle Ravenloft. Go ahead and have your parties and bask in being able to cast magic freely, and pray you remain ignorant to the terrors of the domain.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 02:41:21 AM »
The city is a utopia compared to Barovia

Maybe thats why Asta finds it boring :P

urathraviel

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:40 AM »
Sarkath flat out refuses to go to Dementlieu, it's frightening on a level about equal to Castle Ravenloft. Go ahead and have your parties and bask in being able to cast magic freely, and pray you remain ignorant to the terrors of the domain.

Sal has much the same reaction she wont spend time there without a very good reason now. sadly Dementlieu is one of those domains that needs a lot of DM attention to bring that side of it to life. so I think a lot of people just miss it :(.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 06:37:39 AM »
people do miss and do not see the horrors of the domain. I have often heard basically "there is no horror in dementlieu just fancy parties and what not" >.> which makes me facepalms. I love dementlieu, horror part especially. I find it fun as the horror is subtle and mysterious. murder mysters and intrigue horrror. Horror of poverty and so on. All of which are creepy and horror, and good for stories. The problem is as Urathevial states is that a lot of this does require a dm to truely show the horror of the land.

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »
I get the feeling that Dementlieu has a subtle kind of horror rather than the in-your-face werewolves of Barovia. Madness, insanity, corruption, the fall of many bard characters I'm certain. But you're right, without DM's it's just a home away from Barovia with cake and fancy party :)
Player of Rose Twain

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
Feed the Brain and it doesn't feed on you.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
Simple answer to this problem. Don't travel at night.
A most troublesome Fox.

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »
To compare, my poor home of Saint Louis has at various times been considered the most dangerous city in the United States of America but still we do not advertise it openly to the few people brave, desperate, or foolhardy enough to visit. We need people to bring in and spend money, we do not want to discourage them.

We do have signs welcoming visitors to Saint Louis, and they are easily visible when the city is not flooding.

Anyway, it would be kind of strange and unrealistic to have a sign warning people about high crime rates, because in real life, even in the city with the highest crime rate in the nation, we do not do that.

Besides, Saint Louis has many "green zones" similar to the "green zones" in Baghdad, islands of peace and prosperity surrounded by poverty and desolation. (I happen to live in one of those safe zones.)

I like Port-A-Lucine because of the realistic set-up, it is very similar to how Saint Louis works in real-life, the police do what they can to keep the streets clear and enforce the rule of law at day, and at night gangs roam the streets freely, except in a few safe zones like Washington Avenue or the Hallowed Ground around Busch Stadium. It is somewhat unfair for tourists and visitors because they do not have the intrinsic knowledge about which areas are safe and when, but that is the way cities truly operate.

Besides, it adds to the horror of the situation, Port-A-Lucine, like Saint Louis, has many grand artistic institutions and places of learning and inspiring monuments, but societal problems have caused a vile reflection of itself to manifest at night. It makes more sense when you consider that at one point in time Saint Louis had enough cultural prominence and international recognition to win a bid for the 1904 Olympics, but now it is reduced to a pit-stop between Chicago and Dallas. It is very discomforting to be driving along the tranquil park grounds of the Gateway Arch dutifully patrolled by park rangers, only to make a wrong turn and abruptly find yourself surrounded by smashed-in and burnt-out meth houses. I used to volunteer for "Habitat for Humanity", until I decided that I would rather be selfish and spend more time playing video games.
//edit: spelling error
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:47:27 AM by rabidsmily »

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
Dementlieu's horror is very different than Barovia's, but no less Gothic. For the curious, the domain and its darklord are inspired by the following:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Geiger

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
Yeah. Only thing that makes D-lieu different from other domains is their lack of 'magical monsters' due to their magic rating being very low.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
[Slow clap] As a fellow Saint Louisian... I gotta say well said rabidsmily, well said.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."