Author Topic: Request: Increased Transformation duration out of combat  (Read 1328 times)

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
Re: Request: Increased Transformation duration out of combat
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 06:50:04 PM »
This is primarily a thread about staying in Shapechange or Polymorph forms.  Don't derail into druid hate.  Druid's class is built around wildshaping and thus has long length durations as is.

However, the balance issue is with wizards and sorcerers in Shapechange.  Beyond the fact that people sitting in Red Dragon or Balor form is immersion breaking...

Shapechange replaces the stats of the wizard in question.  It also applies former buffs, allowing for a fully buffed wizard to also be even more durable while just milling around.  Casters are powerful enough as it is, they don't need to be able to sit in effectively combat-ready forms for extended periods of time.  Again, these forms confer both stat benefits and other benefits such as regeneration, damage resistance, immunities and spell resistance.  For a class that can also apply their own massive amounts of wards and often fight in dungeons, being able to sit in such forms effectively make arcane casters much harder to catch off guard or otherwise defeat.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 11:23:43 PM »
Watching people who are in fact not actually animals constantly walk up and sniff peoples butts is somewhat discomforting in my opinion ...

Nonetheless, neither an application gate nor removing form-changing spells would entirely prevent those who want to RP such exercises in olfactory intrusions upon the derriere from doing so. Moreover, as uncomfortable as they might be to watch, I vouchsafe they are worse to experience.

(It seems the topic of the thread is fairly exhausted as I have not read any argument for extending the spell other than the OP. And I agree that the criticism of druids and their RP is not generally productive. Against that, I'll point out that they were already nerfed recently regarding elemental damage stacking.)

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 08:28:51 PM »
This is primarily a thread about staying in Shapechange or Polymorph forms.  Don't derail into druid hate.  Druid's class is built around wildshaping and thus has long length durations as is.

However, the balance issue is with wizards and sorcerers in Shapechange.  Beyond the fact that people sitting in Red Dragon or Balor form is immersion breaking...

Shapechange replaces the stats of the wizard in question.  It also applies former buffs, allowing for a fully buffed wizard to also be even more durable while just milling around.  Casters are powerful enough as it is, they don't need to be able to sit in effectively combat-ready forms for extended periods of time.  Again, these forms confer both stat benefits and other benefits such as regeneration, damage resistance, immunities and spell resistance.  For a class that can also apply their own massive amounts of wards and often fight in dungeons, being able to sit in such forms effectively make arcane casters much harder to catch off guard or otherwise defeat.

That's a ninth circle spell.. druids get shapechange at level 5 and have constantly been the ones to run around the outskirts as animals until a player or Dm has to tell them otherwise. Please don't turn this into a nerf spellcaster thread

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 09:11:43 PM »

That's a ninth circle spell.. druids get shapechange at level 5 and have constantly been the ones to run around the outskirts as animals until a player or Dm has to tell them otherwise. Please don't turn this into a nerf spellcaster thread

I never said to nerf spellcasters.  But they don't need to be in dragon form or iron golem form or balor form or death slaad form 24/7 either.  It doesn't need to be extended.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 05:05:25 AM »
Lets just make sure we're back on track to the topic in general rather than replying to each others posts, yeah?

I dont think druids need any extending to their shapechanges, nor do any other classes. If you can't roleplay out your shapechange in the very generous time you have to do it, I don't really know what to tell you. Maybe consider if the rp you're doing really requires you to be shapechanged, and if it does? Make sure you have some shift/polymorph slots available to re-apply

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 08:40:16 AM »
As the player of a high-level druid, the transformations don't need to be changed. Moreover, I'd just like to point out that sending tells to other people (for instance: trying to curate some aspect of how they choose to role-play) might be warranted when they are directly violating server rules, but I don't think this is acceptable if you just happen to disagree with how they are roleplaying their class. There are druids who really do spend most of their time in animal form or are more comfortable in it, and it is perfectly in-character, lore-accurate and not immersion-breaking; the problem there is in the one who thinks it ruins their day. Druid is a powerful class, yeah. But it's not at all unbeatable, far from it. I do hope nobody is actually sending hate or feeling angry towards players of druid characters just because they're fixated on the class's strengths compared to whatever else. (Though from what has been written, it seems like this has happened. If so, I'd recommend contacting the CC.)
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert