You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: hood no service!  (Read 4919 times)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: hood no service!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
at best this addition SHOULD be seen as a setting enhancer not to suit your needs or to make those that use a hood adapt NOPE it enhances the setting of a xenofobic folk.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
I'm finding that sometimes an off hand comment can work wonders in this case. Why just the other day one of my characters just stated flatly while she was in thew morninglord temple that she and I quote, "I detect a Glow in here". Some one was still wearing their scholars ring I think, and they promptly removed it. So yeah, sometimes it works  :mrgreen:

dark_majico

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.

I don't really see how a simple script which emulates NPC's reactions to players appearance is a negative thing. Also given your aversion to game mechanics limiting your ability to role play, you can't murder a guard or cast wizard spells in public without your outcast rating increasing, that's a fairly hefty game mechanic you have to contend with right their, and if you break it a lot it will seriously decrease your ability to even play here when NPC's attack you on site, it's considered accepting consequences for your actions, not enforced role play or prevention.

I've read this through and I find this notion to start applying mechanical means to keep the "Immersion going" rather silly. No mechanical means will ever change the way PC's act.

You want to talk about immersion breaking? What about Radu chasing some PC's cat, running around outskirts like he has some ingrained hatred for cats, and then doing it over and over again. What about 30 guard horns from the other night, that was due to some poor critter dancing just at the edge of the guards field of vision? What about hearing NPC's spam "Remove your hood!" every time someone enters the inn, imagine seeing that in your roll window while you are in the middle of some rp.

If you want to change the way PC's act, change the culture of the server.Try to educate, teach, talk to the player, maybe it is a new player not having a slightest clue about PotM. You want no hoods inside the establishments, do it through ic means, roll a guard or a maid character and add some flavor to the ways you can make people take their hoods, there are plenty of other scripting requests that are equally as silly as this one.

Also, have you looked at the script to know how simple it is to apply it to NPC's inside every Barovian establishment? Don't assume the difficulty of scripting. If I was your boss I'd say, great, your idea, have it on my desk by tomorrow morning.

Actually I'm not assuming anything, there is no scripting involved truthfully, that was just me being lazy and writing script, it actually involves adding a rule to a conversation which checks the speaker for an item equipped in the head slot, which branches the conversation off in another direction and abruptly ends it. There is no need too break immersion by making PC's spam remove your hood! because most conversations (if not all) in the module are private the staff don't have a habbit of creating conversations that spam everyone present, and you wouldn't add it to generic PC's who don't have a store or a meaningful conversation.

This idea isn't silly, actually its rather good, its the Neverwinter Nights equivalent of walking into a Liquor Store wearing full motor cycle leathers and a helmet with the visor down, its just not right in society, its rude, its potentially dangerous and people will react badly too it. NPC's don't have to appear to be unemotional robots, they can appear to react to the world around them, and the players who converse with them, I cannot see this any reason to label this mechanic to be a negative thing.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »
Just to but in... Bupi was actually having a conversation with Radu last night... He didn't say much back to her though, in fact he seemed to ignore her completely. There was no one else around at the time to witness his rudness either. But I was certainly entertained though  :mrgreen:

Darkelf30420

• Outlander
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »
Just to but in... Bupi was actually having a conversation with Radu last night... He didn't say much back to her though, in fact he seemed to ignore her completely. There was no one else around at the time to witness his rudness either. But I was certainly entertained though

:lolsign:          Done this before too, just not Radu. LOL's

Roach

• Outlander
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Actually I'm not assuming anything, there is no scripting involved truthfully, that was just me being lazy and writing script, it actually involves adding a rule to a conversation which checks the speaker for an item equipped in the head slot, which branches the conversation off in another direction and abruptly ends it. There is no need too break immersion by making PC's spam remove your hood! because most conversations (if not all) in the module are private the staff don't have a habbit of creating conversations that spam everyone present, and you wouldn't add it to generic PC's who don't have a store or a meaningful conversation.

This idea isn't silly, actually its rather good, its the Neverwinter Nights equivalent of walking into a Liquor Store wearing full motor cycle leathers and a helmet with the visor down, its just not right in society, its rude, its potentially dangerous and people will react badly too it. NPC's don't have to appear to be unemotional robots, they can appear to react to the world around them, and the players who converse with them, I cannot see this any reason to label this mechanic to be a negative thing.

I am going to try and touch on few responses here:

You have swayed my opinion, it is not silly, let me get my orthopedic inserts on, because I stand corrected. Joking aside.
Look, I see your point, it is the law of the land, but that being said it is IC law, and such laws can change. You want NPC's to appear to be unemotional robots, well giving them a generic response that they repeat over and over would do exactly the opposite of what you want.

I've seen plenty of players that go out of their way to make a casual banter with a NPC's, when a dm sees that, they are even more likely to jump in and posses the NPC and continue with the rp because they know that there is a player who creates rp out of nothing.

Further more, yes I understand that there are some players that are not going to learn, but when I see that I realize that I am just trying to teach them something using the wrong approach. In some cases those players need to die a time or three before they start getting the bigger picture. There is approach to teach everyone, you just have to put some thought and effort in it, do it in an inventive way.

On one distant server long time ago, there was an IC law/rule to keep the fort gates closed at all times, and yet they were still left open, people ignored it due to whatever reasons they had, and then one player decided to make a gate greeter PC. All he did was stand at the gates and greet people, opening and closing the gates for them. Tremendous amounts of rp was created from it, and people were coming to chit chat with him while he was "working as a gate greeter". Enough time passed and people picked up on "Hey, let's start closing the gates when we leave the fort!".

There is a drive thru liquor store here that let's you get your booze and you don't even have to leave the car, or hop of your motorcycle.

As one of my old professor would say: This is a very good drawing, very very good, but I think it is for the best that we don't let anyone else in the class see it.  Then he crumpled my drawing and tossed it into the garbage bin.

Since it is a fantasy setting, I thought I'd bring this up.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvO35MunzU0[/youtube]

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
Just to but in... Bupi was actually having a conversation with Radu last night... He didn't say much back to her though, in fact he seemed to ignore her completely. There was no one else around at the time to witness his rudness either. But I was certainly entertained though

:lolsign:          Done this before too, just not Radu. LOL's

Guilty of this one, too. :) 
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Soldier0fortunE

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 07:50:45 AM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.

I'm 12 and what is this?

This just nearly made me cry laughing man.