Author Topic: hood no service!  (Read 4924 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
hood no service!
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Hello,

Since barovia has anti-hood laws in the taverns and other establishments, I wonder if the various merchants can be scripted to check if you have a hood and on and if you do not give you service. This can help reflect the fact that in vallaki you have to lower your hood while in taverns. Though perhaps tigen's rest may not have this script being that it is a dingy shady tavern.

also can the laws be updated to say "wearing hoods is finable" or something like that?

thoughts?

-herkles
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:26:19 PM by herkles »

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
Re: hood no service!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
Pretty sure Amia has a script that makes it so that gate keepers in some places even refuse to open the gates for people wearing helmets and hoods. But that's also because they have a 'disguise' script that makes it so that even if you're wanted and hostile to everyone in that city, if you wear a hood/helmet, it hides you from that detection.

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
the banks here have a similar script, what I am asking is for it to be applied to most of the stores and taverns in vallaki. Also if it is possible for radu and garda to shout "NO IDAUL HOODS!" at people wearing hoods that would be good too :P

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
I'd love to see this implemented. Great idea.  :thumbup:
Not all who wander are lost.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
Second the motion *achoo*
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
I know the Vallaki bank works this way. If your face is concealed or your weapon is out, they refuse to deal with you.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
A bit of micro managing can hurt. Shouldn't players be held responsible to their actions other than because it's scripted?
"And when everyone is special.. no one will be!"
Player of Rose Twain

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
I truly wish all our players -could- be held responsible.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
   Guys,  let's just think about this for a second.  How many times have we all seen people run up to Lizuca/Petre with a weapon out and get turned away?  Then they just sheathe blade and go on their way talking to them.

Some people are going to learn,  some are just going to keep doing what they do.   It will just be " HEY!  Take that hood off!"  (oh,  I had my hood on?)  [pops hood off]  [re-initiates conversation like nothing happened]

Plus,  if it really bothers you THAT BAD just go up to them ICly and be like "Hey bro,  hoods are illegal in here"  instead of rubbing your hands together and thinking "I can't wait to propose a mechanical restriction for this later!  Nobody can be trusted."

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
There's also the "Nuance" (Stealing from Icono  :twisted: )  of when say, my priest wears a hood in Vallaki and makes it a whole day with no one saying anything.

I love breaking the rules!  And I'll probably get fined for it at some point, which would be interesting roleplay.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:24 AM »
   Guys,  let's just think about this for a second.  How many times have we all seen people run up to Lizuca/Petre with a weapon out and get turned away?  Then they just sheathe blade and go on their way talking to them.

Some people are going to learn,  some are just going to keep doing what they do.   It will just be " HEY!  Take that hood off!"  (oh,  I had my hood on?)  [pops hood off]  [re-initiates conversation like nothing happened]

Plus,  if it really bothers you THAT BAD just go up to them ICly and be like "Hey bro,  hoods are illegal in here"  instead of rubbing your hands together and thinking "I can't wait to propose a mechanical restriction for this later!  Nobody can be trusted."

I've seen and have participated with other players to have thier hoods removed in places like the Ladys Rest, one of my characters actually refuses to talk to anyone wearing a hood, she consideres it the height of rudeness.... So yeah, been there done that... That said, most just ignore you unless you're a Garda PC, sad fact that it is.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
I can't say that I'd corroborate the notion that non-Garda are ignored.

They're not ignored, they're just given verbal abuse ;P
A most troublesome Fox.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
  Guys,  let's just think about this for a second.  How many times have we all seen people run up to Lizuca/Petre with a weapon out and get turned away?  Then they just sheathe blade and go on their way talking to them.

Some people are going to learn,  some are just going to keep doing what they do.   It will just be " HEY!  Take that hood off!"  (oh,  I had my hood on?)  [pops hood off]  [re-initiates conversation like nothing happened]

Plus,  if it really bothers you THAT BAD just go up to them ICly and be like "Hey bro,  hoods are illegal in here"  instead of rubbing your hands together and thinking "I can't wait to propose a mechanical restriction for this later!  Nobody can be trusted."

I've seen and have participated with other players to have thier hoods removed in places like the Ladys Rest, one of my characters actually refuses to talk to anyone wearing a hood, she consideres it the height of rudeness.... So yeah, been there done that... That said, most just ignore you unless you're a Garda PC, sad fact that it is.

+1. Also reminding them that hoods are illegal inside barovian establishments will make them, do not care.
Also about the no service script i am in all favour for it since there is a LAW with the no hoods inside barovian establishments, if i know well.
Secondly if this law actually does exist, anyone with not complying with this rule, or not being given a permission by the guards as an exception to wear hoods inside taverns, is neglecting NPC-s. (Especially Radu, who would, should, is actually checking under everyone who is wearing a hood, since he is a bouncer. OFC if mentioned person is inside or is entering the Ladies.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:12:25 PM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »
Amazing suggestion, as long as it's added in moderation and in the right places. Then it would definitely contribute to the immersion.
I would love to see this indoors, as you suggested it for taverns like the Broken Bell, the Prancing Nymph or shops within the city.

For outdoors areas? It'd be awfully realistic, so I'd steer clear of adding it to outdoor NPCs like garda NPCs or Radu.
Since it's actually more than realistic to wear hoods outside in an environment with such harsh winters and frequent rainfall. Especially amongst the commoners.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »
I can't say that I'd corroborate the notion that non-Garda are ignored.

They're not ignored, they're just given verbal abuse ;P

I stand corrected, so true :P

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.

I'm 12 and what is this?

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »

I have found the same thing, I've asked people to remove hoods or helmets ( helmets are even worse) when talking to me, and I usually get told I am crazy, or some other short sharp response, then my character goes from being part of the conversation to being completely ignored from this point onwards, which is lame.

dark_majico

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.

I don't really see how a simple script which emulates NPC's reactions to players appearance is a negative thing. Also given your aversion to game mechanics limiting your ability to role play, you can't murder a guard or cast wizard spells in public without your outcast rating increasing, that's a fairly hefty game mechanic you have to contend with right their, and if you break it a lot it will seriously decrease your ability to even play here when NPC's attack you on site, it's considered accepting consequences for your actions, not enforced role play or prevention.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:43:10 PM by dark_majico »

Roach

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »
Nah.  This is a role-play server.  This is a medium with which to tell stories.

Who here has played The Sims (any incarnation)?  The most annoying part of that game was that you were limited in what your Sims could do as far as murder.  Well, for me, anyway.  Limiting people with what they do by in-game 'laws', sure.  Murder's illegal.  But when my character is physically incapable of murdering another because of scripting, or just lack of initial programming as is the case with The Sims, no thanks.  I don't want to role-play with a computer mechanic.

By the way, if there was a Sims expansion like Clue where you can bludgeon people with candlesticks in the foyer, and other Sherlocky Sims can solve the case and throw in jail with a Sim-lectric chair execution - that could very well be the best selling piece of software ever.  If your greedy little ears are reading this with Dragon Dictation, EA.

I don't really see how a simple script which emulates NPC's reactions to players appearance is a negative thing. Also given your aversion to game mechanics limiting your ability to role play, you can't murder a guard or cast wizard spells in public without your outcast rating increasing, that's a fairly hefty game mechanic you have to contend with right their, and if you break it a lot it will seriously decrease your ability to even play here when NPC's attack you on site, it's considered accepting consequences for your actions, not enforced role play or prevention.

I've read this through and I find this notion to start applying mechanical means to keep the "Immersion going" rather silly. No mechanical means will ever change the way PC's act.

You want to talk about immersion breaking? What about Radu chasing some PC's cat, running around outskirts like he has some ingrained hatred for cats, and then doing it over and over again. What about 30 guard horns from the other night, that was due to some poor critter dancing just at the edge of the guards field of vision? What about hearing NPC's spam "Remove your hood!" every time someone enters the inn, imagine seeing that in your roll window while you are in the middle of some rp.

If you want to change the way PC's act, change the culture of the server.Try to educate, teach, talk to the player, maybe it is a new player not having a slightest clue about PotM. You want no hoods inside the establishments, do it through ic means, roll a guard or a maid character and add some flavor to the ways you can make people take their hoods, there are plenty of other scripting requests that are equally as silly as this one.

Also, have you looked at the script to know how simple it is to apply it to NPC's inside every Barovian establishment? Don't assume the difficulty of scripting. If I was your boss I'd say, great, your idea, have it on my desk by tomorrow morning.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
While I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, I do think that it is so insignificant that the staff would be better off doing something more productive and worthwhile with their time.
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Major Tom

• Undead Master
  • "Nobody has margaritas with pizza!"
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »
If you want to change the way PC's act, change the culture of the server.Try to educate, teach, talk to the player, maybe it is a new player not having a slightest clue about PotM.

Kind of have to agree with this specific part here. Though one of the main issues is that a lot of players seem to not want to be taught or educated, IC and OOC, instead just shrugging off things with a 'So?' response when it comes to stuff like 'Don't kill the Vistani or their pets. Seriously, it's not a good idea,' or 'Spamming spells left and right, mere feet away from the Garda who are merely mechanically unable to see you, but any real person can with ease is basically you terrifying the locals with your dark witchcraft.' Tell some players this and they stick their nose up in the air and act like you've profoundly insulted them by pointing out a basic faux pas in a setting like Ravenloft.

Hell, the other day I saw two player characters talking in Elven - they RP'd it as their Common being broken and untrained, so they felt comfortable speaking in their own tongue. Fair enough. They did it in front of a Garda player. Said Garda player, naturally, chewed them out for 'speaking in tongues I don't know' and 'possibilities of conspiracy,' as it natural and expected of the Garda to react in such a way. After agreeing to follow the Garda's instructions of speaking in Common, if at the very least when a Garda was around, they were left to their business.. Two days later, they're speaking in Elven three feet away from a seperate player Garda as if that previous talk had never happened. >_>

"A monumental black hole. A swirling headstone marking the spot where we used to live and play and slaughter the innocent."

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
Unfortunately, individuality makes the choice that over-rides any mechanical changes.

For example,  I've met players who have asked me point blank "Where's the xp mill around here?"  If a player's mentality is geared towards doing something, no amount of mechanical rules are going to stop them.  They'll find a way around it. 

I agree, educating the player makes more sense than mechanically imposing a system rule that kicks in to enforce it.  But that's just me.  :)
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
Good points made here.   There are *so* many players who just love to wear their hood or helm everywhere, trying to make them change with a mechanic would be more grief than it's worth.  Even if it's rather silly to be going around like a constant masquerade ball!

Bardboy

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
In the end, it doesn't really matter, for some it's a style for others it's their life or death insurance. It's all part of the game.
"And when everyone is special.. no one will be!"
Player of Rose Twain