You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Mark a corpse that has had a raise cast upon it.  (Read 3053 times)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
Mark a corpse that has had a raise cast upon it.
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
Been thinking about this for a while now, with so many dead bodies I'm seeing in the Morninglord Temple and in other various locations it is kinda hard to know if they have had been attempted to have a raise done on them or not. For all I know the player might have logged off in the time it took his/her party to drag their sorry corpse back to the temple and perfomred a raise. Hence the body is just waiting for the soul of the person to return to it. IE, Have the player log back on.

Be nice to know if a raise has already been preformed on the corpse already, before the whole diamond thing was introduced it was no real big I would just perform a raise on the body anyway just to be sure. Now however I have to be more frugal with whom I raise and I don't want to waste an attempt on a dead body if a raise has already been done. Not actually sure what would happen if i did try for that matter cause I haven't been game to try since the diamond thing was introduced. Even so, if nothing happens would still be nice to have a corpse marked in some way if a raise has already been performed on it. Doesn't have to be lengthy maybe alter the description a little to add a line or two at the top that states it has had a raise done on it already.

Anyway, thats my random thought for today... discuss ;)

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Mark a corpse that has had a raise cast upon it.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
I'm very much against this. You should wander around raising someone you don't know. He might actily be a criminal or mass murderer. I know that you want to help, but I find it very disturbing how little ppl thin about their actions. Yes this is a game but still try to consider the effect of it. We want death to be feared, yet we have "nice" high l Los running about spraying their fangs and diamonds like it was pixydust in endless reserve.

Just my coin, Im sorry if I come off as mad of angry - not intended!

Boots

• Princess Postledash
  • Dark Power
  • The Bard Queen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
Can get frustrating once you've blown a bit of gold raising someone (10k myself recently left me a bit huffy) I agree with it, it'd be nice to know a bodies been raised.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »
I thought you weren't supposed to attempt raising someone unless the player was online anyhow? At first I thought it was a good idea but Mark does make a good point and now that I think about it, if you just wait for that player to be online, then you won't be wasting your money/diamonds.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:57:57 AM »
Well my suggestion came to mind over newer players who found out what this server is like the hard way. Yes the price is miniscule in comparison to a having a high level raised.... But I would still like to have some sort of notification on whether or not a raise has already been preformed on the body. It wastes less time

I can see the point about if the character is not a good aligned one, however chances are they are not. I like to think that good guys on this server out number the bad guys, could be a pipe dream but you never know. Bottom line though its more a convienence thing to know if a raise has already been performed. Did come across another dead player where someone placed a mark on the ground next to it stating a raise had been preformed. Doing this works for me, its nice to have known that... I don't know, maybe I'm just too kind for this server. Seems I'm willing to help others regardless if I know them or not.  :P

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »
In regards to new players, I think it a simple change in the dialogue of the "beam of light" might clear up what happened to them and how to get back in the game.

It's also not obvious straight of the bat that you can even ress, you just end up in a spaced out zone that looks like a storage for dead chars, until you come across the light.
This might put people off or make them thinking they're stuck in some kind of locked up boxed zone for ghosts, logging before they'd even bother to find the beam of light.

But marking corpses? I don't know. Perhaps a small notice in bottom of the description saying "This corpse still seems to have some life in it, although it's slowly fading."
It seems a bit far-fetched and crude in most cases to have such a message, ressurections or raises are often enough bordering the breaking of immersion as it is.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
Frankly, I only assume its new players cause sometimes I see like half dozen dead characters all gathered together in the morninglord temple in the Outskirts. I mouse over them and the character names are always ones I've never seen before. Least I don't recognise them anyway. I then check the player list to see if they are online, they never are each time. These bodies tend linger there for an awful long time too which again suggests that they were new players who just gave up on the server and never came back.

The other issue though is they could be newly created alts, the owner of the character could have logged off and be back on another character cause there was nobody around to raise them at the time that the newly created one got killed. Would love to send a tell to them and ask if they wanted a raise but I got no way of knowing if it is a newly created alt and to whom it actually belongs.

Now sometimes a raise is performed on a corpse but the player had to log real fast and couldn't complete the raise due to a real life issue that needed their attention. Their body then remains a corpse until they once again return. Its mostly due this situation that I would like to have a note of some kind on a corpse. Its just nice to know that the good deed has already been done and I'm not waisting my time and my resources performing yet another raise when its not really needed.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
Put me down as in favor of this its a good idea, also on a side note shouldn't there be a high level dungeon where we can farm diamonds like we do any other resource?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
I think some things are better left with an element of mystery to them, corpses are one of those things. Who is this person, (their are no floating names above it really), do I even recognize it after it was burned with Fireball at 10 paces, melted with Mestils Acid Breath, or...cut to pieces by a Stag beetle. It seems too much of an OOC mechanic to have a corpse labeled.

(Raised already, go spend you lo0t sumplace elz' LOL!!1)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
yeah, remove names from remains, makes it more interesting, when all you know about the remains is that someone really really hated this corpse when it was a corpse

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »
Removing the names would not be a good idea. What is done when one was poisoned or something? Or was stabbed in the back? Or choaked on their food? Or took any other non-disfiguring deathblow? You need to be able to figure out who it is. If the body is badly impaired, the description says so, and if that is the case, one should RP not being able to tell who it was. Or use environmental clues and logic to piece together who it might be
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:28:47 PM by Dumas »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
I think when they mean remains, they mean the result of burning a corpse.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

dark_majico

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
yeah, remove names from remains, makes it more interesting, when all you know about the remains is that someone really really hated this corpse when it was a corpse

I'm sure my powers of divination detect sarcasm here. What I meant was a corpse should be treated as a corpse, your first thought should be. "Do I recognize this body? Should I raise it from the dead?" Then you need to find out IC, "has he or she got any friends nearby who have already helped it, or are going to help it, and how would I be better suited to help?" Rather than [Examine], "AAh dead player needs a rez, BING! Oh this one already got the good mojo on it, I'll raise player number two instead"

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »
I think the largest two counterpoints to keeping the system the way it is, are that it only serves to waste time/money/resources/cares, and ultimately alienates the playerbase from helping itself. We'd see a lot more charity that results in enriching roleplay, and a lot less ooc tells of "Dood buy me lifes plz" with this new projected system. My two cents, anyway.

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »
I think the largest two counterpoints to keeping the system the way it is, are that it only serves to waste time/money/resources/cares, and ultimately alienates the playerbase from helping itself. We'd see a lot more charity that results in enriching roleplay, and a lot less ooc tells of "Dood buy me lifes plz" with this new projected system. My two cents, anyway.

I'm skeptical people will stop asking for help when they die, no matter what system was put in place, but is it really a problem?

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »

I'm skeptical people will stop asking for help when they die, no matter what system was put in place, but is it really a problem?

Not so much, been a while since I was asked via a tell to raise someone... Maybe nobody knows my main can do this? I don't know... But it is kinda immersion breaking when it does happen.  ;)