Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Making campfires inside caves?

(1/4) > >>

Jeebs:
  So, I noticed that you can't build a campfire inside a cave. The reason I bring this up is because I had a bit of RP going during one of Barovia's particularly harsh winters and the PCs I was interacting with and I had decided that spending the night inside a cave would be smarter than spending it outside in the snow, at the mercy of the wind and cold. Only when we got in there, we realized that we couldn't actually build a fire despite having RPed bringing wood along with us.

I assume that the primary reason for this is that you can't differentiate between a cave and, say, the Lady's Rest? The second reason could be argued that there isn't any firewood inside a cave. So, to address both those points: could we not set certain areas within caves (relatively close to the entrance, I'd imagine) where you can build a campfire if you are carrying wood? I don't imagine it would be too complicated to set up. This way, if you're stuck spending the night outside during a storm you could just try to find a cave and brave the potential dangers within to be a bit warmer.

Feronius:
I think the fact the smoke can build up really quickly underground and suffocate you, unless there's cracks in the ceiling or a cavern entrance nearby, is a good reason as well.
After all, like in your example you could simply bring the firewood yourself. This still doesn't fly for small open caves, only for tunnels and deeper dwellings.

You probably gave the reason yourself already. The server likely seperates the areas in which you can build a fire by either indoor or outdoor areas.

Honoun:
Having played around with scripting a little bit I think I can make an educated guess on this matter. The script run to play the whole building of the campfire just checks whether the area where the script was implimented is interior or an exterior location. It is set to return (IE do nothing) if the script detects it is being run in an interior location. This of course is an easy way to stop players from building campfires in wierd locations like a Hotel room and such. However as it is only checking for the location type it dissallows a campfire to be built in cave.

Now I don't know scripting well enough to offer a solution, but I could guess that the use of triggers in certain locations could utilise another check however this in itself would create a lot of work for the devs as they would have to search and place a trigger in every appropriate location. Quite the feet when you consider how many areas they would have to check in the first place. Mind you if they did go thios route I would mightlily impressed ;)

tzaeru:
There's GetIsAreaNatural and GetTilesetResRef. The former would be very easy to implement if areas have been properly set to Artificial or Natural, whilst with the latter could determine the specific tilesets that disallow campfire placing.

Ovidiu_Lacusta:
I think someone posted on here one time that if you build a fire in a cave, it traps gases that could cause a subterrainean explosion!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version