Author Topic: Ideas on Dye & Clothes Crafting Menus  (Read 4043 times)

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." -W.S.
Ideas on Dye & Clothes Crafting Menus
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
Being a bonified clothes horse, I use the clothes crafting and dying system a lot here so far, and I have some suggestions for things that might make it easier/more convenient.

On crafting clothes, instead of just a "previous" and "next" option, would it be possible to add something like "next 5" and "previous 5" so one can jump ahead and move quickly through various options when you know where in line your preferred item is?

On the dying, I understand the IC reasons for certain dyes available in certain areas, so I won't address that, but for ease of dying, so you don't end up dying the wrong parts (which I do constantly, and for lowbies, the dyes are quite expensive), if there could be-- for example, even a conversation box that opens up when you are about to dye something that lists out for you which colors are currently on which parts of that armor/cloak/helm/whatever, so that you know which you wish to change, and then dye from there. 

I know this is work and scripting, etc.  But its user-friendliness would be enhanced a lot by these changes, or something similar. 

Just wanted to air it out.

Thanks!   

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Re: Ideas on Dye & Clothes Crafting Menus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
I often encounter that trouble myself, ending up dying the wrong parts of the clothes and losing hundreds to dyes. That above idea would solve that problem indeed.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

VeeTpl

• giff RP pls
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
Just the option of having 'next 5' and 'previous 5' would be a great thing to have.
Player of:
Yuliya Vorius

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
I often encounter that trouble myself, ending up dying the wrong parts of the clothes and losing hundreds to dyes. That above idea would solve that problem indeed.
same here
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
Maybe clothes dying could be similar to crafting item appearances. It shows you what you've done, and then have the option to either accept the changes or revert back, without losing your dye charges.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." -W.S.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Maybe clothes dying could be similar to crafting item appearances. It shows you what you've done, and then have the option to either accept the changes or revert back, without losing your dye charges.

Even this would help with the problem.   :thumbup:

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
I want! Because most the time I waste my coins on just trying to get the right colors as I did with character creation. Further more it's freaking hard to find the right color. I'd prefer a merchant the same way the character creation dye is chosen. Just speak the color number you want and just click 'buy' instead of 'try'. That way it'll remove some coins and give you the exact color you want.

Alternatively, make it in crafting options, next color/next 5 colors. Though this would be great to cycle through colors to see what fits - but I think the prior would make a bit more sense. Since you can really look up the dye charts easily on Neverwinter nights wiki. I usually just open my tool set and work the dyes there and then cross reference the number with the color I chose in the tool set. Because my main problem is always mixing up Cloth 1 and 2 and so on.. I end up using 3 out of 5 times leaving little room to correct the mistake.

I'd like it just being in crafting menu, deduct the price of the dye once you hit accept like any other part on the item.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Actually, I'm fairly certain Dementlieu has a trader like that, in that tiny bazaar building.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
Actually, I'm fairly certain Dementlieu has a trader like that, in that tiny bazaar building.

Didn't know that. I'm new so I haven't seen most of the module yet. Odd that the same system isn't used for all other dye-sellers.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

Yep. There's one there who's chose a specific colour options aren't broken like all the major ones in the port are as well. Biuying dyes from the shops is a pain because of clicking through because their dye conversations don't recognise numbers and always reset to 0 if you try for a specific one. The ones in the bazaar still work 'though so surely the posh shop ones could be fixed too.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:44 AM »
Is there any reason why the tailoring dummies found in the New Character area aren't available in the main module?  They're quite simply amazing - even though they lack the full palate of colors.

Quite frankly, I hate the 'dyes'.  I hate everything about them.  I hate they fact that the only readily accessible ones are Degannwy and the Vistani camp - which specialize in leather browns and fuchsias, respectively.  I hate that even once I get to Dementlieu - as the dye person in Barovia won't even SELL to non-humans - I still have no idea what whatever color I pick will actually look like on my clothing - and there's only five chances to get it right!  Here's how that always goes down.

"Two 'metal' options - oops!  What you wanted 'silver' was cloth 2, not 1.  Now redo 1 back to 'red' and set 2 appropriately.  Oh no, you used up all the charges on your 'red'.  Remember if it was light cardinal red, or crimson stardust, or cinnamon paprika?  No?  Have fun spending 5 years and 5 k tracking down which it was!"

The saddest thing is, as I've mentioned, you have the perfect (or as close to perfect as I've seen on any server) tool available to make this hassling hassle nearly hassle-free!  I've seen it!  I've used it!

Now, yes, with such a wonderful resource we may put dozens of NPC merchants out of business.  A tragedy, but these are harsh economic times for the digital proletariot.  Here's the thing - I don't feel like 'role-playing' dying clothes.  Ever.  I want to imagine when whoever made the armor, they made it using fabric instead of blank canvas paper.  It adds nothing to my atmosphere to spend 200 on a trip to the Mist Camp, then Dementlieu, then spend 85 gold per dye attempt (never get the color right the first time, either) just to have my character look like she should have in the first place.  I think most people would agree with me on this point.  Those of you who want to role-play dying clothes?  You're boring.  Also, nothing's stopping you from doing just that even if the infinitely better system were implemented somewhere.

If we can all agree that the role-play focus should be on the characters -- and not an MMO-style grindfest in altering the appearance of the character -- I would even offer that such mirrors could be made in the OOC lounge, so as not to distract people within the actual module itself with rainbow glitzing wardrobes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:34:25 AM by Smitehammer »
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:01:07 AM »
Can you say thread necromancy?  :P

Ahem... Anyhoo....  :mrgreen:

I agree with having the dyeing dummies in the new character area readily available in most other places in the actual module itself. Some tweaking would have to made to the system though to reflect each domain you find them in of course ;)

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Yeah. Have to agree with this. I know a number of folks get frustrated and just ask a dm to let them access the dye dummies. Please put them somewhere in game. Like back in Laura's Fashion? Maybe you can put a set in Degannwy or Hazlan too. I recall people were actually flocking to Port whenever the dye dummies were set up there.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
Yeah. Have to agree with this. I know a number of folks get frustrated and just ask a dm to let them access the dye dummies. Please put them somewhere in game. Like back in Laura's Fashion? Maybe you can put a set in Degannwy or Hazlan too. I recall people were actually flocking to Port whenever the dye dummies were set up there.

they fit the port and I know the devs don't want easy access to them for Barovia. Having them at laura's fashion store is the best opition IMO.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »

they fit the port and I know the devs don't want easy access to them for Barovia. Having them at laura's fashion store is the best opition IMO.

Yep, which is why I said that some tweaking would have to be done to make them fit in a domains feel. Thus a dye dummy in Barovia would only ever offer dull Browns, blacks and whites for the most part. Other places would have other restrictions. But having any form of dye dummy in game in any place regardless of the restrictions on its colour pallatte would just be the bees knees  :mrgreen:

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
If you keep the color restrictions, I still have to travel the 5 corners of the earth just to get my outfit of red and gold red and gold.  Seriously - if I want to roleplay a smelly Barovian in leather browns, those are the colors I'll pick for my character.  If I want to play some Forfarian highlander, I'll make a kilt with fancy plaids.  Limiting the colors available in one area just mean I have a stupidly colored incomplete outfit until I can visit some other ridiculous place that offers only variations of 'yellow' or the notorious 'any shade of black' guy in Tigan's Rest.  Again - those of you who actually want to be forced to roleplay searching for a 'green' dye like it was the Golden Fleece?  Boring!
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Geiger

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
They should just add the new dye dummies to D-lieu as well as the way to Krezk as one of merchant stalls. It'd make sense and be easy to get to.

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
Could always do what I do and check out the following charts for colours (can then jump to the colour you're after by number)

For Cloth and leather dyes dyes

For Metal dyes

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
I don't understand why the tailors don't just have a varient of the dyeing dummies found in the character creation area in the shops. Maybe to lower lag? but eh probably not so laggy...

I mean it sucks when you just can't find that color... I remember having to travel all the way to Barovia for Fhearghus to get "White". Just white color. I mean why on earth would no other tailor have a white color. especially with all the trade going on.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
I don't understand why the tailors don't just have a varient of the dyeing dummies found in the character creation area in the shops. Maybe to lower lag? but eh probably not so laggy...

They probably haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'd say it's related to somekind of script, where it would bug if there were several dummies used at once.
But there are already multiple dummies in-game, so I'm actually not sure as to why they haven't been implemented yet.
(Or rather.. why the one in the new character zone has been, but the other places have not had it added. Seems logical to add them all at once.)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
Dyeing dummies are horrible things and should be destroyed.
: )

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:59 PM »
Dyeing dummies are horrible things and should be destroyed.

Don't buy clothes that are so incredibly edible and stop taking fashion advice from Lady Gaga in general.
(You all know the running joke with Fane Silivasi and his robes / dress by now, surely.)