You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Temporary stalls for traders  (Read 2965 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Temporary stalls for traders
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
Just saw a PC logging in rushing up to a trader with his items on the ground, stealing then logging out. (outskirts)
And as it is, traders just drop their stuff on the ground, into the grass, even the tinyest rings.
On a server I played there were temporary stalls that the traders could rent, and place their wares on it. It was like an outplaced inventory. A few of these on the Market district would surely make that map more popular, and the tavern too and would finally act like a market. Would add to immersion (high quality wares not just lieing around) and would attract more trading rp perhaps.

What do you think?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
Re: Temporary stalls for traders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
You could also type up a list of your wares with prices in word and paste it into a letter to lay down ingame.  I like the stall idea but I'm not sure if the dev team would script a placeable item to let selected players put stalls down.  If those players were trusted they could also be given a remove placeable item or they can script the placeables to despawn when you use the same place tool on it again.  Hope that makes sense.   :?

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
Not placable, but fix stalss. Objects like crates and similar, a few on the outskirts maybe and more in the market district. A table like object would fit this role very well, into which you can place your wares.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
I would totaly support this idea if the Dev team would allow it.. or even better yet an auction house of some sorts In barovia where you can rent stalls... or even place them in a chest sort of like WOW AH (auction house) and FFXI AH kind of idea.. i support this idea all the way

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
Just saw a PC logging in rushing up to a trader with his items on the ground, stealing then logging out. (outskirts)
And as it is, traders just drop their stuff on the ground, into the grass, even the tinyest rings.
On a server I played there were temporary stalls that the traders could rent, and place their wares on it. It was like an outplaced inventory. A few of these on the Market district would surely make that map more popular, and the tavern too and would finally act like a market. Would add to immersion (high quality wares not just lieing around) and would attract more trading rp perhaps.

What do you think?

Placing everything on the ground is very lag inducing in high traffic areas such as the Vallaki Outskirts.  Rp'd one on one sales between pcs might take longer but it is lower risk and better for the atmosphere than putting things on the ground.  Based on the setting it's also unlikely that there would be open sale of items clearly magical in Vallaki/Barovia area. Things that glow, are on fire and so on are considered very witchy and suspicious by garda, and various Garda react to witchy wares in different ways.

For merchants who plan to sell things long term and become established merchants, using the forum and lists of wares can help a lot, it allows pcs to 'window shop' but not in a way that adds to lag.  There are some stalls now in the marketplace district that are empty.  If a pc who was native Barovian were inclined to set up and rp that they were working out of the stall there's really nothing else required to begin doing that now but taking the initiative.  I say native Barovian, but if the pcs in the marketplace will sell to your pc, then it's possible they might be accepting of a shop next to theirs.  They would not be accepting of certain races of outlanders setting up shop next to their own shops however, and those are generally pcs that the npcs do not sell to.

For auctions there is the public storage (this is a storage system pcs can use) in the Vallaki warehouse district and other warehouse buildings besides the one with the npc in it, I've seen auctions take place in those other buildings in the past.

You might also consider looking up members of the supported trader faction in game Red Vardo Traders, who have a shop in market district near the broken bell tavern if your character would be interested in joining a faction made up of traders/salvagers.  In Vallaki Vasco Silivasi is Captain, in the Port au Lucine area, Jinx.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:08:42 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

WildPirate13

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
Vardo fixed stalls and independent stalls.. collapsible and heavy would be best with a heavy price as well.

RP side wouldnt rogues.. try and steal from goods just left out?

The Vardo hires bodyguards to watch over items which was a great idea.

Suggested Item? If possible. We use tents sometimes.

Transportable Merchant Stall
Weight 50.
Cost 1000 fang/solar

Creatable with woodworking.. :)

Perhaps if possible include the @write command on it as well.

Mercantile rabble division has dibs after the Vardo.  :eek-spider:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:49:44 PM by WildPirate13 »

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Vardo fixed stalls an independent stalls.. collapsible and heavy would be best with a heavy price as well.

Vardo as a supported faction has shops in both Vallaki and Port merchant disctricts.  In the port we work out of the shop or one on one rp'ing sales with pcs we run into in game who want to do business. We don't use the set things on the ground method.

As for stealing, there are better ways to role play theft than running up grabbing and item off the ground and logging off.  It isn't rp'd theft to do such a thing, it's considered greifing, the rules which apply to pvp and CvC conflicts (hostile first etc) also apply to theft as a hostile action.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »

As for stealing, there are better ways to role play theft than running up grabbing and item off the ground and logging off.  It isn't rp'd theft to do such a thing, it's considered greifing, the rules which apply to pvp and CvC conflicts (hostile first etc) also apply to theft as a hostile action.

PM me the names of the PC's doing this, that is a clear rule violation.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »
Grabbing the wares and immediatly logging off isnt how thieves should rp the situation.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

WildPirate13

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Grabbing the wares and immediatly logging off isnt how thieves should rp the situation.

Agreed bad.. and now that Heretic is after them.. really really bad  :mrgreen:

We don't use the set things on the ground method.

Umm perhaps that is now the standard but I know in the past I have dealt with many Vardo that did.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:43:07 PM by WildPirate13 »

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
I sent the names and such to blue bomber.. and dm vixon knows more on this subject

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »

Umm perhaps that is now the standard but I know in the past I have dealt with many Vardo that did.

And before that, Vardo didn't. In the beginning (2 years ago +) RvT didn't use that method.

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
It may not be a method for everyone, but I've gotten plenty of traffic after I posted my list on the Market Square board. Even if you don't like the idea of keeping a forum post updated, you have to admit that nobody can steal from it. :D
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
Honestly, I'd kill for some sort of actual system for selling and buying things.  Posting a list of what you have in gamn these boards is all well and good, but not all of us have every single item in the game memorized simply by name.  Most of us need to actually LOOK at the items to determine if we want to spend hard-earned coin on them or not.  And, as was pointed out, laying things on the ground is time-consuming, lag-inducing, and, despite the wonderful shopping opportunity it presents, probably against any sort of actual common sense in the outskirts (varja everywhere!  Oh my!).

Some sort of "temporary merchant stall" that allowed you to put items in that people could walk up and inspect like a merchant's goods would be wonderful.  Make it so only the person who put the items in could remove them, then people could come up, inspect the inventory, and haggle with the merchant.  When a deal was made, the merchant grabs the item out of the "stall inventory" and sells it.  Man, that would be sweet.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
The problem with the current system is that it requires pre-planning with another player to be on at the same time that you are to make the transaction. Never mind a case when you just want to buy something simple like a healing potion of some kind but there is never the right player on who sells it when ever you are in game, again it takes pre-planning to organise the sale. This is all well and fine and works well enough when all players are in roughly the same time zone. Hate to break it to you but we all are not, and so the difficulty increases.

Now I applaud the idea of trying to implement a player driven economy but this server does not make it easy for those of us who need or want to buy any item if we have half a mind to. Why just this week I've been watching out for anyone who would sell more potent healing potions than any of my characters can get from any other means. In a week I have not seen one player selling any potions at all when I have been in game. Sure I can log onto the forums here and again pre-plan the sale but the "point" is I shouldn't have to. I remember some time ago when I wanted to particular bow for one of my characters that it took more than a week to key a time that the seller and I were on at the same time. Add the fact that the character of mine had to earn the coin to pay for the bow which added more time but by the time that she had it was another week before that particular player was on line at the same time I was to make the sale. Thus a simple bow took several weeks to get when optimaly it should have only taken a day of in game time to earn the coin and then buy the bow.

Now you can make persistent stalls, (I've seen it done on other servers so it is possible) in the market place in Vallaki and any where else you may wish to place them that merchants can use to sell their wares but they would be charged a small rental fee to do so, (this can be a recurring fee or a single down payment I leave it up to the Dev's to decide which). Such stalls would just be a container or NPC that would initiate the store window when interacted with. Merchants can place their wares into the store and we customers can buy from it when ever it is most convenient for us, which is the whole point really. Then once all items have been sold the when the merchant checks the stall they get all the profits the store made (minus a the hire fee, at Dev's disctretion ;) ).

This of course does not stop those same merchants from using the outskirts to sell their wares if they so choose wavering the rental fee that a regular stall would charge them and thus allowing them to sell their items at a slightly cheaper price. Thus still remaining a viable option for them. However, if they also place items in the persistent stall they increase their customer base and so the potential to garner greater profits from that despite the rental fee could well be worth their consideration.

And we customers can get the cheaper items if we are willing to wait the time out or pre-plan a sale, however should there be an urgent need for us we have an option to use the persistent stalls to buy items at a slightly increased price but will still be available to us when we need it. It's a win, win situation for all of us if you just think it ALL through.

Dark Locust

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
I've seen this done on other servers with minimal lag. Usually its not a full on store but just a crate or another placeable which players can browse through and purchase items.