Author Topic: Use of Crafted Traps  (Read 1764 times)

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
Use of Crafted Traps
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
When my PC sets one it is 'hostile' to him. One time after setting one he was in middle of red zone and had to trigger it to move. Ha can't recover them either.
Next point is that someone was able to remove the gem the trap was protecting suggesting it was not hostile to them.

How are these traps suppose to be used? Set, recovered? How are faction settings used with crafted traps?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Use of Crafted Traps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
Hmm, what (apparent) faction is the character you tried to set the trap with? Unfortunately, NWN does not allow for setting the faction settings of a trap script-wise so I have to do use the standard factions ("commoner", "defender", "hostile"), but I've been trying to come up with a better solution - just need to find the proper work-around.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
Probably because he's undead or such. On our AMPC wight / ghoul group we actually used traps to heal.
We had no way to restore hp, whatsoever, so we used negative trap kits as a work around. Wasn't very effective or much of a solution though.

Wingfree

• New to the Mists
    • Dances of Dragons
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
Hmm, what (apparent) faction is the character you tried to set the trap with? Unfortunately, NWN does not allow for setting the faction settings of a trap script-wise so I have to do use the standard factions ("commoner", "defender", "hostile"), but I've been trying to come up with a better solution - just need to find the proper work-around.

If it was me I would just use a script based on pc factions, you have a list of them because it tells you what your faction rating is. Attach a color green for faction or red for not. Apply target area effect for removal etc. oh yeah attach that to a trigger,,, pretty simple.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
How would you do that script-wise?

Xarnata

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
Suggestion. If nothing better works, perhaps create a script to disable the trap for about 6-7 seconds upon setting it down, after which (if possible) have it switch to being a hostile trap (as in real life, trappers do not set and walk freely but have to arm it, Often remotely, and traps can be set off by accident by the setter). The script would replace the simple place and move with a: Place trigger zone x by x size (trap skill = size maximums [better the setting, better the area]) pause 6-7 seconds (can reduce or lengthen by preference) get item info (used item's trap type) if (item type) = x, set X type trap by entity (faction hostile to all).

And optional extra of :Play sound (clicking noise).

Just a thought. My scripting sucks.

Wingfree

• New to the Mists
    • Dances of Dragons
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
How would you do that script-wise?
Well i might do an area effect based on "set trap" event which targets the given number of players in a given radius. ( these would be my party members) // rp " ok guys dont step here, here or here, your likely to explode" or you can make a switch /case break using your player factions... I personally like the first idea better.