You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: To Environmental Map or Not to Environmental Map.  (Read 1501 times)

Blight

• Dark Lord
To Environmental Map or Not to Environmental Map.
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:29 AM »
I've recently been forced into a graphical dilllema that absolutely sucks, causing things to render improperly.

With environmental mapping on, All metal bits on armor and whathaveyou appear ridiculously shiney, almost like a distorted mirror. Here's a picture of the shiney metal which i loathe. This is with Environmental Mapping on.

And here is the same picture with environmental mapping turned off.

Now, obviously, the second picture looks way better and i should go with that one. Except unfortunately, with environmental mapping turned off, all CEP weapons and shields become SEE-THROUGH. Like Casper the Friendly Ghost see through, ethereal, transparent, etc. Which is also awful and makes me avoid the CEP models too.

I just want the best of both worlds, is that too much to ask?

Any known fixes for this?
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: To Environmental Map or Not to Environmental Map.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
try removeing anti aliasing

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:33 AM »
Thats not a bug, thats the way they are supposed to look, Ive found that depending on the environment you log out in will change the reflection color to that environment.. EX: My PC helm is black shiny, but if theres a reset and im in the OOC area, Its more purply black, to get it back to the same reflection I have to go to an outdoor area and open the helmet crafting menu, then move it to a different helm over then back to my chosen helmet appearance, then just escape it without paying the gold and the refection will return to the chosen color, might be off topic but I figured id say it anyway, You could try dying the helmet to a non metallic color, that might help you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:46:47 AM by edarsenik »

Through battle, you find validation, liberation, and exultation.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:01 AM »
I'm going to have to disagree with you. On my previous laptop, I did not experience this issue.  The non-shiney appearance is what it used to look like always.

Also, Mark, Anti-aliasing is turned off already.

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:48:04 AM »
Its probably because your laptop wasnt rendering it the way its supposed to be, Metallic items in NWN are supposed to be shiny like that and reflect the environment around them, again tho, Try to  dye the item to a non mettalic color, It might take away the reflection
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:49:52 AM by edarsenik »

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:46:34 AM »
You were correct in that it was a color issue; the metals on my outfit were in fact very shiney dyes. After using other dyes, it became apparent it was fixable. :)

Solved.

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:41:23 AM »
Excellent glad youve got it looking how you want it  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:14:00 AM by edarsenik »