You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A spider's tale - Maylin d'Jaelre  (Read 1254 times)

MyBadDay

• New to the Mists
  • ~Deviant Artist Sylinde~
A spider's tale - Maylin d'Jaelre
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:48 AM »

~Little hands cupped the ashes in the already cold fireplace. The white skin turned black, tearing a squeal of glee from the pale lips. Quickly the girl ran to the mirror with handful of ashes, then rubbed the ashes into her cheeks, marring the milky skin. A bit onto the forehead and some onto the nose - almost perfect!

What are you doing, Maylin? - The female voice made her freeze and squirm. - Look at me! The girl faced the drow and looked up to her - her clothes were a mess, the floor of the room was a mess too, her skin all dirty. The woman's red eyes studied the child and a firm backhand quickly followed.

May sniffed, tears rolling down her blackened cheeks, leaving white trails of clean skin upon them. - I just wanted to be beautiful like you, Sabala! I hate being pale and ugly... The drow cupped the girl's chin painfully, forcing her to look up. - You know what it is expected of you, do you not? Sabala cooed and Maylin squirmed even more, knowing that intonation meant nothing good. The Lord granted you with unique appearance and you should learn to use it. Correct? - Yes, Sabala. - The child replied obediently. - Go wash youself. We have a 'guest' elf. He will teach you their language. The drow pushed her away, then turned and walked out of the room.~

Maylin sat up on the bedroll, looking around quickly, in a semi-paranoid manner. It was still dark outside, she could tell. The cold breeze was bringing distant wolves howls into the cavern she and her companions were camping in. Her magenta-hued gaze locked on one of her companions. Noriand, shy and helpless, was in a reverie. I am surprised he's not sucking on his thumb in his rest. She thought to herself and smirked, trying to locate the other. Aremar - one that offered her his companionship, rather hastily, too. Was it a trap or he was just feeling lonely and lost in this land too? She could not tell just yet. Afterall he could have become a good ally, that and nights were rather cold.

A little movement in the dark caught her attention and she reached over, picking up a spider. The spider crouched, lifting its forelegs threateningly as it sat on her palm now. Maylin studied the creature's perfect form thoughtfully for a long moment.

It's amazing that they live even in this land... Damned, cursed land I dislike strongly. This land and the people in it... Most are harmless though, and even helpful. Shy'Nar, Noriand, Aremar, Isia and others that I met - they were all so easy to fool. Just needed to smile more, to joke more. Giving 'right' answers all the time. There is one dangerous though, that Ay'uriel the zealot.

Crunch! Her hand clenched in a fist instinctively, crushing the spider's chitin. May's magenta eyes locked on the twitching legs of the creature. That damn elf will die if she gets too close. The pale drow drew a deeper breath. Was she toying with me when she touched my cheek? How much does she know? Does she suspect? I must be very careful around her. Extremely careful. She finally tossed the dead spider to the side and wiped her palm against her thigh.

A shadow approached the camp silently - Aremar returned from his patrol. May smiled to the sun elf pleasantly and laid down again, closing her eyes, listening to him stirring the coals of the campfire. Yes, this one might prove useful. ...Just useful for what? What is she doing in this land? She did not know yet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:44:30 AM by MyBadDay »

Abbadonich

• New to the Mists
  • Master of the 1hand Suplex
Re: A spider's tale - Maylin d'Jaelre
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:27:22 AM »
"Who... Are you?"

The 5.4 Tel'Quess sits on her haunches, idly gnawing on a leg of chicken held in her right hand. The fireplace before her sending small embers into the air, crackling and sputtering on occation. Solitude is a grand thing, it lets ones mind travel freely, uninterrupted by bothersome questions, chatter or other unnecesarry noise. A light croak of a raven, its beak glinting in the moonlight, the only sound aside from the perpetual crackle of the small, elevated fire. Winter had come not long ago, preceeding it, another Quessir with a skin paler than she'd ever beheld before. Like a wandering sapling of Birch, void of the blackspots. And yet, she has the eyes..

Those eyes..

An arrow: Long like her arm, made of ash with three steel barbs on its front. A small pot of tar slowly turns the wood darker, darker and darker still until it is completely black. A skinning knife carved the name into the drying gunk.. Just in case.

"May"

Another bite of the chickenleg, a feather spat out casually before she lets herself tip back and gaze at the stars above, relaxing as much as one who walks alone can afford.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:30:39 AM by Abbadonich »

MyBadDay

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
~The heavy stone door opened and Maylin stepped into a cell, following Sabala. The small room smelled of blood and vomit, a body was stretched upon the floor. The lightly tanned skin was bruised and covered with welts, once black locks were matted. The drow approached the elf and grasped his hair, yanking his head back. The elf was aged, his face with high cheekbones and a firm jaw was still beautiful despite the dirt, dry blood and bruises covering it.

His green eyes opened wide as he saw the child. The chains rattled as the captive moved his arms as if to grasp or embrace her. May quickly hid behind Sabala, noting the expression of confusion appearing upon the 'guest's features. He thinks I am an elf too! The realization dawned upon her. Sabala hissed at him, her fingers sinking into his hair harder, then the drow's red eyes locked on the girl. You will learn from him. With that the elf was thrown back onto his face, the chains chimed again, noisily. The tutor left the cell, closing the door behind herself.

A click sounded and May breathed out sharply, approaching the prone male and squatting down, trying to look into his face. The little ivory fingers stroked the messy raven tresses lightly...~

Stone tiles... Old, covered with dusty web here and there. Cracks in several places. The ceiling. Maylin stared at it for a moment, hazed. Where am I? Her body felt so very light and numb. She tried to move her hand and regretted it a second after as that tiny motion triggered a jolt of pain that surged through her frame. A grunt escaped her lips, a nasty metallic taste of blood in her mouth made her feel even more sick. Someone leant over her. Are you okay, May? She knew the face. It was Isia, clearly worried. Uh... The pale woman grunted, forcing herself to sit up. I am fine. What happened?

Once the red haze in her gaze faded, she looked around. Morninglord's temple. Means I fell. Her lips twitched. Vith. Though the training kicked in and the drowish word did not escape her. Too dangerous to let my emotions control me. The woman pushed herself to her feet and hobbled to the corner of the hall, slumping onto a cot there and leaning against the wall.

Others joined her in the corner and Maylin continued to stare ahead. New people were approaching and trying to converse, and despite her desire to growl, she kept offering polite smiles to them. Control your expression. Breathe. Be polite. Smile. Think before talking. And no drowish speech. The rules she knew too well. Her eyes closed and she breathed out slowly. Why am I here?!

New faces. Old faces. Potential allies. Potential foes. Some more dangerous than others. One must be strong to survive here. Survival is my main goal... for now. And once I am strong, then perhaps... I won't need to pretend anymore.

MyBadDay

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
~Her usually white palms were slick and red with blood. Her pet elf was laying on the stone floor like a broken ragdoll, a single wound was on his side and some blood pooled beneath him. The male's body was innaturally stiff already, his mouth opened and his features grew sharper. The expression was of torment, as he died suffering, his end was not a peaceful one.

Maylin's eyes filled with tears and the girl sniffed, devastated with her loss. She knew she should not have gotten attached to the captive, that it'd have been noticed and she'd be punished. But he was so kind to her... so genuinely, it was disarming and the child was truly taken by this kindness, never really experiencing it before. And now it was all gone. He was gone. Stolen. And that was making her angry.

Maylin. She heard Sabala's voice, but ignored it. -MAYLIN!- The drow repeated, louder and with more authority in her voice. The girl flinched, turning to face her tutor. -Look at yourself. Sab cooed, wiping her cheek. So sad, so hurt... so -weak-. -  Why did you do this? May asked, looking up to the woman. - -I- did it? Oh no, you did it to yourself. Growing soft, getting attached, it all brings pain. Shows your weakness. The child looked over to the dead elf again, then glared to the drow, reaching to a dagger that dangled from the belt. A rather harsh backhand made Maylin stagger back and trip over the corpse. -Control- your emotions. Sabala towered above her, sizing the szarkai up. You're angry. It's good. But never show it. The tutor watched her longer, then turned and walked out of the cell, leaving the girl in the puddle of cold blood.~

Maylin looked to her leatherclad palms. Since the incident in the past, she disliked having her hands uncovered, so usually have been wearing gloves. The lesson back then was learnt well enough. Her dark painted lips quirked in a smirk. No weaknesses. No emotions. No attachments.

The albino placed her new sword in her lap and examined the blade thoughtfully. It was truly a masterpiece, an example of the finest elven craftsmanship. That elf, Legos, was as blind and easy to mislead like others. He even offered her to become his apprentice and learn smithing. The leatherclad fingers stroked the silver-gilded blade almost lovingly. Definitely going to accept that offer...

The woman rose up then, attaching a shield to her left arm and heading down the stairs to the crypt. The halls were silent and dark, her mind was still elsewhere. "Look for the thrice damned in times of trouble, yah? They will hide your shadow." - What that vooden told me... So I checked that Drain and what did I see? A hole in the sewers filled with careless little villains. The ones I saw were so... self-assured, they proceeded to discuss their little villainous plans in my presence. MY presence. A complete stranger's. From Degannwy. I learnt their plans for enslaving others, for alliances, learnt the names of associates. How very very sad and disappointing... Amateurs. I wonder who'd be interested in all that information?

A sound drew her attention to a corridor. A zombie was dragging its feet, moving closer to her. I wish you were Ay'uriel. Maylin actually smiled as the new blade of hers proved to be razorsharp, cutting through the dead flesh like through butter. That bitch suspects me. And will come after me eventually if I give her a reason to. Another swing of the sword chopped the zombie's head off and May stepped in, stabbing the rotting face. I should keep playing my role... be a little poor lost elf, losing faith.

"Beware the night of all Nights. For that is Her place... and Her Children are ever watchful, even here." Right now I'd welcome even a Llothite... The pale drow stopped hacking the head, looking around again and breathing out, staring ahead to a spot where she last saw that vampiress whom attacked her. Such... raw power. The woman stood motionless a moment longer, then moved deeper into the crypt.