You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Trade with dead  (Read 3335 times)

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
Trade with dead
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
The ability to trade with the dead will be an excellent RP tool, being able to loot dead bodies, search your friend for potions or bandages if they're fallen and you're out.

Also it's very realistic, although it would require OOC consent...

An example of how this would be beneficial is, earlier today I was in the werewolf den with a party, I was the only one with any healing supplies, I'm of course the one that manages to die, and they watch me bleed out while I have 19 bandages on my person. It's just utterly ridiculous.

Thanks for reading.

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Trade with dead
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
 ...wouldn't this be used mostly to gank people and take their belongings?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I believe you can drop items as a ghost, but simply not pick up things. Might have to confirm this though.

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
I believe you can drop items as a ghost, but simply not pick up things. Might have to confirm this though.

That's correct, but I mean trade when someone is bleeding out.

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
...wouldn't this be used mostly to gank people and take their belongings?

It would open the door for this to occur...yes, but people also can pickpocket and steal your belongings..how often does that happen though?

People prefer not to piss of other players OOC, so they usually avoid doing stuff such as that...

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
HoshaZilo: maybe I am msiunderstanding you but do you want the opition to barter with the dead? or to be able to pick items off of people who are dead?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Usually to avoid such happenstances potions/bandages and the like are handed out, distributed before entering the dungeon. Also there are a number of items that may be use to prevent such occurances.
What you describe is quite fitting, however there would be quite a number of folks that would leave the person die and loot him while he is lying down unconsious. (on 0 or below 0 hp you are unconsious i think that is what the blindness and deafness symbolizese, though i am not that sure i just rp it that way.)

Also ghosts are able to drop items. (Is why quite a number of folks carry with them raise objects for such occurances.)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
HoshaZilo: maybe I am msiunderstanding you but do you want the opition to barter with the dead? or to be able to pick items off of people who are dead?

Barter with the dead or, unconscious rather. However, I can't imagine a reason for placing an object on a dead person...besides perhaps framing him with evidence, but that could be done by placing an object next to them

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
I dont thin the OP means -10+ HP ghost dead but rather the 0 to -9 HP state. Am I wrong?

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
I dont thin the OP means -10+ HP ghost dead but rather the 0 to -9 HP state. Am I wrong?

I think she means what i like to call the "Knocked out" Stage. Your bleeding out but you arnt "corpsed" yet.

being able to barter with the "knocked out" player would be cool even in the NWN barter system you need both players confirmation and consent to complete the trade.
And i do believe Soren is right you can drop as a ghost just not pick up.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
even if its not used to trade potions or bandages, it could be that dramatic moment when the person carrying the quest item spends his last breath handing it to his companions with the "there's no time... take it... end this, its in your hands now."  then expires

Sage - When stories come to life

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

You are not wrong

even if its not used to trade potions or bandages, it could be that dramatic moment when the person carrying the quest item spends his last breath handing it to his companions with the "there's no time... take it... end this, its in your hands now."  then expires

Impressive, Had not even thought of that

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Heh heh heh, I just imagined this:
Please, take it. Take it and go on without me!
No! We're not leaving you! We need you. -I- Need you!
You have to... *coughs* This is bigger than the both of us, it always was...
Damn you, you can't leave me like this, I won't let you!
You... You know I will always be with you... in your heart... *presses the scroll into his hands*
I'll get this done, but I'm coming back for you, nothing will stop me!
*stabilised*

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
Heh heh heh, I just imagined this:
Please, take it. Take it and go on without me!
No! We're not leaving you! We need you. -I- Need you!
You have to... *coughs* This is bigger than the both of us, it always was...
Damn you, you can't leave me like this, I won't let you!
You... You know I will always be with you... in your heart... *presses the scroll into his hands*
I'll get this done, but I'm coming back for you, nothing will stop me!
*stabilised*

-Damn you, just when i thought i can finally end this...*sighs and pulls out his sword* Well, you of course could not die normally eh? You had to invoke a miracle eh? No matter, this ends here and now*stabs*
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »
Ah.. it's bartering, not becoming lootable? In that case I fully support the idea.

I can still see it being abused, a lot, and it will be. "Quick I'm dying, take my valueable loot so you can afford to ress me!" (Or simply passing along all your cash quickly.)
But the pros seem to vastly outweigh the cons in the case of barter, at least from an RP point of view. It will no doubt also lead to much more "abuse" to exploit dungeons with.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »
The cash is already on the ground. And it seems pretty IC to be able to get items from a bleeding man or a corpse. After all their items didn't get petrified to their body.
Not all who wander are lost.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »
Travelling with people who are unprepared can be a risky adventure!

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »

That's correct, but I mean trade when someone is bleeding out.

Unfortunately, there's technically no way for us to allow normal battering when someone is bleeding out. I have considered making more items be put into the visible backpack on death but searching the entire inventory of a player and moving about items can be a bit heavy on performance.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »

Unfortunately, there's technically no way for us to allow normal battering when someone is bleeding out. I have considered making more items be put into the visible backpack on death but searching the entire inventory of a player and moving about items can be a bit heavy on performance.

Maybe if there was an Emergency Kit that could be bought, typically a bag of one of the various types.  When a player drops, if they have such a bag, it auto drops as well with its contents.  Then players can decide what to put in the bag, they can keep potions hotkeyed, but still droppable so long as inside the bag.  Would be the same for bandages or other such things. 

Sage - When stories come to life

Abbadonich

• New to the Mists
  • Master of the 1hand Suplex
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
The "dropsack" is a familiar system from other servers. You select what you want to drop and put it in the sack. When you die, you hit a command @drop for instance, and the sack is dropped... Saves you from dropping extra stuff when you die alone (like the miserable derpwald that you are) and it lets you drop the sack when you have a buddy sorting through your stuff to find that valuable heal-pot to save your sorry hide.

-Abs

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
Drop all use items on death!! Back to full looting like several years ago!! I'm channelling Mayvind right now!!!

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
Drop all use items on death!! Back to full looting like several years ago!! I'm channelling Mayvind right now!!!

All use items would include equipment like the armour you're wearing at times, etc. Not just things like potions and scrolls, which I don't think is a good idea with a server already this unforgiving.

I really like the "drop sack" idea, seems exactly like the kind of thing the original author of this topic was looking for. While pretty much ruling out any chance of system exploits.
(I can imagine the high level and richer characters to -always- carry somekind of ressurection scroll inside it, but still.)

Darktide18

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • Social Butterfly
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »
Seems fine how it is.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »

You can. I think he maybe was commenting on that between state where he wasnt dead but bleeding out. Since he wasnt a ghost he couldnt drop anything. Still. the point about ganking people and taking their stuff seems a valid concern.