You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Natural Machine, A Corroded Leaf  (Read 12568 times)

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
The Natural Machine, A Corroded Leaf
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...

...drank the bloody concoction?  How could he? Such a brilliant man taking an adept's route.

Such a remarkably brilliant, brash, creative fool.  Yet, envy flooded the academia of my thoughts.  How could he conceive such a vile notion?   Assault such an unwashed and immaterial, yet irresistible, taboo?   Let alone, test the veracity of the solution, of that liquid, without suffering some unforeseen...nay, better said, "feared" consequence? 

Irresistible.  Irresistible fools, all of us.   

I knew that day, when he showed me the vial in the sanctity of the basement, away from praying eyes, I knew. 

I knew, when it's inky blackness was desperately trying to siphon itself through the glass, I knew. 

I would be the end of him.  He would be the end of me.  It would be the end of us both. 

No, not fully truthful on my part.  In this, I am dishonoring him once more.  With hesitation, I must confide that I am holding back an indelible sincerity. 

I would be the be the end of him. 
It would be the end of him.
I would be the end of myself. 

He, if present, could have prevented the former tragedies from coming into existence.  Yet, it was not his job to save me.  Only himself in this matter. It was not my job to decide for him, only for me. Yet we bo......

....or, in hindsight, is it my own untethered, personal hubris that makes me think I could have influenced his life so much so as to promote it's smoldering, suffocating end? 

In the end, without drinking of him, did I turn the unrelenting perseverance into an undying mistake?   

The guil......

*Comments are welcome*
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
Re: The Natural Machine, A Corroded Leaf
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken. 

Dried ink has run, assailed by a torrent of what could only be described by the clear mind as unrelenting tears....

.........ad.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  De.......

.....nically, we both ended up the same, via different paths.  He choose his, trying to find and recoup life ripped straight from the odium, and rancorous grasp, of death.  I, gif......

....no denying any more the sp....

Rhetra'Bushion.  I am still such.  But now, we will also embrace Rhetr....

*Comments are always welcome*

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...

....ut if I can add an extra weight to the angular momentum of the cycloid, perhaps to the 120, 250 and 310 degree cog teeth, it may increase random orbital rotation, off-setting the cantilever.  The problem will be finding a free-floating, non-axial fixed-point cantilever that can give enough vibration without crossing an-...oak? Could I use wood for the cantilever?  Elm, perhaps, with increased den......

Large break in the flowing script, with one line near the bottom of the well-worn page...

...if, if the liquid was flawed? Maybe, improper distillation or fermentation?  If that damned solution was perhaps imperfect, lacking an ingredient?....

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:50:33 AM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...

...about him is so like him. I think the tea helped.   I am glad they liked the tour.  It was nice showing others the tranquility of the trees.  With tim....

...still stunned.  Would it be possible to create this? Do we dream too highly, the lack of air insufficient to enlighten our minds? Or do we not aim high enough? The good we can do near unfathomable.  I fear retaliation, but I don't care in the end. If it may be possible to help, then my belief in the higher form of betterment impinges my fear.  It empowers me to reach for this goal. 

We will not fail, or fail trying.  Either way is a succ.......

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
The following is the fully deciphered section of text from a forlorn, personal hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken.  The writing is shaky, as if care were taken to put words down...

I won't let, I- I won't let the patterns, and codes and errant thought take over.  Not at this moment, when words must persist beyond my meager attempt to just remember them.  I make this committal for the purpose of remembering that both sides of the coin are of equal value.  

My sin and associated hope tonight is the following:  I confessed...

Some know already, and my well-wish is with them, with those who already are aware of the occurrence. Be it through their piety, concern, love, friendship, or true altruism, these few that know have gifted my essence a chance at survival.  Nonjudgmental and unbiased, they accepted me and offered their extended hand.  Yet tonight, I saw the other side.  The side that shuns automatically, without facts in hand.  

Can I blame these individuals that pull back; do I repudiate these who follow a sense of intolerance, or tolerance in their eyes, for the different?  No.  On the contrary, I praise them wholeheartedly.  They are different, just as I am different. I cannot know their stories, loves, hates, passions and betrayals, just as they cannot fathom my own.  Rejecting their right to distance themselves from the norm would be just as ill advised if I were to quash them away for being part of the status quo.  

Tonight, I saw the two sides of the same coin.  Detested rejection, and completely acceptance, both equating half a value of the same currency.  Both have equal value, and loved by me the same.  In fact, both halves will openly receive the friendship I so sorely need, myself.  

I learned I cannot trust fully, but I must because alone I will not survive.  

I learned I cannot hide fully, for some of me must see daylight if any part of me is to survive.

And I cannot reject either, because rejection of myself will be my downfall.  

I shall let no more know, trusting only those who do, and pray they see me worthy to assist.  And I shall let the Heritage of difference be known by others.   We are not all of the shadows.  Many of us, just like most of them, are simply the products of 'life'.  

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:49:14 AM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...

...volved in? I do not know. I cannot ask, for fear of pushing them into the shadows lurking near their unsuspecting feet, but if I don't press for an inquiry I may be negligent in my concern.  What am I allowed to do?  What MAY I ask?

Mount Celestia, I have never felt like such a novice.  The shadows threaten to swallow and rend my friends, yet this occurs while I hold a light to stave off the shades.  Ancient Spirits of Wisdom, grant me the insight to sav....

*Large space is found, with a singular line at the bottom of the text*

....how I feel? Do I say that maybe, I....

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:52:18 AM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:06 AM »
*The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...*

...so many rumors. They spill forth like shadows, plagues that insist on soaking into the skin, trying to taint the deepest of your blood.  The strings that tie truth to lies are extensi....

...Tsun.  Extremely capable.  Fearless.  I envy her.

She may be what I will never achieve, even with my 'differing' talents.  It is my place, and honor, to assist her reach those heights only known by true mas.....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
*The following is the partially deciphered text of a personal, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...*

...avens, Niena, how did you do this?  I know so many secrets, ideas, intentions, deception, and machinations, I have difficulty keeping it all in order.  Somewhere, somehow, I have gone from being a researcher to an investigator of sorts.  And truthfully, I am enjoying this new found skill.  Perhaps too much.  And that concerns me. 

Setting aside my fledgling interest in mysterious events, the pressing issues are of a greater interest.  I will not put down too much information here, but I will say this....

Father, I will protect you to the best of my abilities, though many are after you now.  I fear that the shadows have consumed your frame, but I will defend the bastion of your soul.  They shall not have that from you.  For the other, yes....

....I will extract my name sake from your bon...

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a personal, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...-

...what to do for him? 

Father, I, forgive.

Now do the same for yourself, and be the goodness you can still achieve, even if mired in the clutches of the insanity that drives them all.....

-An oily, amber orange residue has smeared the above segment partially-

.....urvy is an interesting being, if not dangerous beyond any reasonable account.  So different in appearance, say from the Astral Juggernaut, yet I suspect, deadlier in the right setting.  Yet, his logic is very precise to his requirements.  Not a single-minded approach insomuch as a wide thoughtful conceptualization of a probability.  Most would agree that 'fate' is a difficult thing to nail to the wall, set as a lovely adornment on a chimney mantle.  Despite this impediment, he is I believe close to managing such a feat, somehow giving solid, mental form to such an abstract notion. 

Dangerous, very dangerou........

.....son won't do this anymore, perhaps I should?  I don't blame him, nearly caught twice.  But some risks are worth taking, are they not? But then, what of the o.....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a personal, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...-

Only one word streaks across the page's surface. 

... I .....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
The following is the partially deciphered text of a personal, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken.  That sentiment may not always be pure, but not unforgivable...

....he hearth here is warm, serene, rarely faltering.  It makes for wonderful tea actually, and any other night, I would gladly brew some.  But tonight, I am barely willing to mix the ink in my bottle.

The steps above resound so joyously, calling out to me with such with rambunctious mirth following, that I wish I could allow my own heart beat in time to the excitement of the thrill of gleeful drinking, prodding and merry-making.  

I wish I had a heart.  One that knew what it wanted.  

Think of a compass, held firmly in your right hand. You look down at it, staring dumbfounded at the miniscule device that may help you locate your way.  A compass is simple, in all reality.  It has four points, and a center. A balance or pivot, surrounded by four directions.  You pick the direction you need and move forward with wonder in your eyes, or look back to whence you came with either awe, sorrow or indifference in your heart.

It helps you get to where you are going, and remember where you've been.

So why does mine own pull me, undeterred, in no less then six different directions!?  It even has one additional direction in the very center, on the pivot, in a direction I am already at.  And that makes staying in place so very, very hard now.

Why can everyone else pick their direction, their destination, but I must run from mine?  

Can't they understand? I say no because saying anything else means choosing a damnable direction on that compass and walking a path walked before, one coated in unrelenting blood and mir....

NO!

If I say it enough blasted times...

NO!

If I don't ever stop....

NO!

....want to say y.....

Would they.....forgive me? Will it stop haunting me?
Would she, or he, forgi....

Comments are always welcome
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:37:37 PM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:15:41 AM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a personal, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken.  The writing seems joyful, filled with mirth....-

...wo words. Hope. Love.

There is hope and love. That is all I will sa..... 

-Comments are always welcome-

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:43 AM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, chaotically-written journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken...-

....and all I could think of at the moment was the old joke:  "A Signer, Sensate and Cypher walk into a bar.  The innkeeper looks up and the Signer says,'What do I want to drink?'" With the sincerest of practiced smirks, I can say you truly are from Sigil if you understand that joke while it brings a smile to your face.

What, what do the others write? Stop and contemplate this inane proposition.  We talk, live, love and die amongst one another.  So it must extend, by logical conclusion, that we must 'write' together.  With the obscene number of machinations that seem to be born out of the shadows within this puzzle-piece land, someone, something, must also keep a written journal much like myself. 

What do they write?  Do they express their interests in life? Confusion at their bad luck during market? Or the lost love of the week?  No, they probably boast their success, or lack thereof, at their latest evil plans or ill-wrought designs.  And while they infest, breed and convert the susceptible into skillfully controlled puppets, others, like myself contemplate ideals that must seem so childish to them.  Sometimes, I admit with hand in heart, my worries do seem childish, even to me.

Father.  What can I do to prevent you from decaying further?  I cry privately at the fears that a lance or arrow will find what many call your 'blackened demon's heart,' instead of celebrating the simple conversations we could be having here, in front of the hearth at the end of each day.

"Did you find the herbs I asked for?"

"How was your training? Did you hurt yourself?"

"Do you care for this person? Do they even know you do?"

Maybe, maybe you are one of those that keeps a wicked journal of conquests and the destruction you've sown. While I suffer here, trapped, writing down rosy-colored hopes that I wish we could have shared as fa....

-A small amount of ashy soot covers a small portion of the bottom part of the page, mixing with the ink to create a pasty series of words-

....re? Are you serious? You c.....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal.  A testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken-

...an oddity.  But then again, oddities were never meant to....

...w days away, secluded here should give me time to prepare. Analyze, research, consider. And, reconsider, if my mind is uncertain.  That being the case, I suppose I should reconsider everything under this bleak, grayish Barovian sun. 

But, sweeping away all melancholia aside with a careful snap of the quill and wrist, I must declare my approval of this location.  A secluded unknown cave, with quick access to the library and fresh water with natural lighting.  I should be able to translate the documentation and prepare the lecture here.  I do fear, though, so many would be frightened to hear of the world outside this land.  You know, looking around the cave, a willow in the middle  and this would be the most idyllic of ho...

...her technique is...is...so unusual yet familiar.  Like looking into a mirror, not recognizing your face but knowing it is still you.  Do not misconstrue me.  I am in awe, and thankful for her presence, her friendship and her talent.  Not many would waste their vaunted time guiding a blind woman around looking for herbs.  To me, this speaks volume of her charac........

......rved to prove the fact that I am truly expendable.  I am the expendable.

I am not a mastermind, a leader of outcasts or locals. A financial giant, securing an economic fortune through brave adventures and risky expenditures.  A juggernaut cracking the skulls of inferior, plated opponents too blind to fear the monstrosity before them.  I am...me. An oddity, nothing more, nothing less. And I am content with that.  She showed me through strength of force, character and training that I, unlike her, I should always relegate myself to the darker shadow of obscurity. 

Others crave the sublime light of attention.

Others have the power to take the lead and forge an honest destiny.

Others the desperate, unrelenting desire to take what isn't secured to the ground, and succeed at it!

These individual can march forward and push the world aside.  I cannot, and I will not.  I am not a piece of import on the board of machinations within this land, thankfully......

-An ashy soot covers this portion of the page, mixing with the ink to create pasty, inked blotches in the drying ink....-

....just take the shot, you mo....

......love? Please.........yes! Love.......

-The page clears, ink flowing smoothly-

...ritten!  Father has written. I was told by courier a message awaits me, but I have not received it yet.   Why?

Why am I so nervous, suddenly frightened?  WHY? Is he alive? Is he deceased? Am I to keep guessing much longer? Will he tell me why he did all those things they accuse him of?!  May be he can prove once and for that he didn't do those blasm.....

Prove them wrong, Father. Or me, but choose, please.....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken-

-A mathematical script mixed with highly organized symbols covers a large portion of the page, partly recognizable while the rest is too complex to fully comprehend-

....ith a possible emulsion in hypertonic suspension of a cationic solution, accelerating the transfer of.........transvirulent contiguous infection may be reversed, taking the gangrenous organic matter back to an electro-conducive, self replicative state.  Conservation of matter to energy will require mystic infusion to maintain saliency bonds of animal naturalistic matter since biological reconstitution is bey.....Without the.....rove is existence of essence-based organism exhibiting inorganic translocated ta....

-An ashy soot covers this portion of the page, mixing with the ink to create pasty, inked blotches in the drying ink.  The text is chaotic, flowing angrily in short bursts of words....-

Blah...blah...blah.  All this for a sill......ot intelligence enough to underst...

-The page clears, ink flowing in a extremely shaky, harsh lettering.  Obviously, the writer is anxious.....-

....its genius.  Brilliant.  Insightful.  Daring.  And, not me. 

NOT ME!  I am the only one with access to the cave.  This journal is under strict control beyond reach within the roots.  But yet, lettering somewhat like my own is appearing, with words I don't use normally.  I attributed it to fatigue, or my accelerated memory loss.  Unknown memories flowing through and presenting in unusual patterns? 

This scientific conclusion sounds like something Bastien would concoct, so it must be a hidden, delayed memory.  An encounter, one of our conversations on differing advanced themes.  Maybe, perhaps, the mental lagoons are reversing, and information is flooding back?  I don't know.  This would be good news.  It would be nice to remember our discussions.  Our short moments in academia...

My concern is that I found a partial footstep leading up the journal's location, last night.  It was not my own.  No others, just the one.  Perhaps, I stepped in an awkward fashion and created that partial myself.  That sounds more reasonable, no?

Am I reliving my time with him? Is someone else trying to help me? Likely not, the step was most likely mine. 

And if so, why would they taunt me if they do want to help me? Or am I just finally mocking even myself? 

I do not feel I am this cynical, or this brilliant, so I can only assume another, or others.....an't be.  Another couldn't enter here without my knowing.  Could they?   

[The script becomes eerily tranquil] Could his ghost or spirit be quietly visiting me? If so, where are you, Bastien?  Eralynia is gone as is Melgrin, and I will lose my father soon, if not already.  Niena and Rell have taken to unknown locations, unseen and leaving Fane alone.  Tabitha is at risk with her situation, Flynn is different, I haven't seen Grigor or Chang or both Leos in such a long time, and, and...they told me she is gone, too. 

You know what? I think I'm just tired and rambling now.  I should reverie for a while.  Thought I must admit, this first paragraph.  It seems plausible, if I under....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »

I came to, in a cold sweat a while ago while in reverie.  It's possible. 

If you are guiding me....

...it's possible to interchange the flow. You can go back and forwards as many times as you like.....

...it is possible!  The only question is:  who would dare change their essence?....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a florid elven script, A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken-

...uch has occurred. Where to begin? It is funny, as a researcher, I pour myself over documents, yet I fail to maintain my own journal.  I’ve had reason to resist, looking back at the last months.  It is with a he...

...cannot explain how, but I remember seeing the cell, the bleak stone, moist with dew and hopelessness.  Someone, outside of the cell, looking in with warm eyes.  The ground was receptive to tears and cries, despair and pleas.  It rejects valor, it refuses chivalry and it refutes hope.  The whole cell reeks of imposed death. I do not remember being there, going there, yet I know somehow where it happened; how it happened... 

....was confirmed this evening.  She has passed. A sister is gone, replaced not in form, but in essence and words, by something I can only describe as ‘unrelenting’.  The “bird”, as some in whispers have concluded.  Twisted visage. Blood red, hunger lusting eyes harbored above an elongated tongue, scaly and nearly spiked.  And yet, she is still my sister.  I cannot lift a finger against her, for my loyalty to her would not permit it.   Despite what many accused her of being in life.  Despite being perhaps one of the deadliest creatures in this barren land.  Despite dying under unusual circumstances.  Inar...

[Ash has mixed into the following words, making for a clumpy script]
...a standard, if ever I’ve heard of one...

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken-

...few days back, and things are thrown into the most confusing, interesting, terrifying maelstrom of coincidences...I-...I do not know what is going on.  Do I want to?

The first night was passed rather uneventfully. A small campfire before the Lady’s Rest Inn, with half a dozen other ‘outlanders’, as the natives prefer to call us.  The conversation was interesting. Entrepreneurial interest in utilizing troll moss as padding and chaffing-relief for armor wearers was revisited with a truly gentle and humorous knight, Sir Casavir. I really think it could work, if we can set up a proper growing location and someone to oversee the operation on a daily basis. We contemplated the use of several sized packets:  Small, Medium, Large and the ubiquitous “You’re just lying now”.  My understanding is that troll moss is rather difficult to grow outside of its strict pluvial and soil requirements.  Would Eugene be able to build the irrigation system if I provide the needed ore?  We will need the high water input.  I can do the woodworking elements of the project.  Oak should work fine; sealed wood to prevent degradation from humidity and the soil’s acidity.  And of course, we must not forget an adequate soil reservoir.  Going to need an apothecary with experience.

It’s settled. We’ll go with the Prancing Paladin play in Port, first. The success from that could fund the troll moss greenery. 

Can Sir Casavir sing? I really, really don’t know. He’s good on a joke. Quick minded.  Perhaps a comedy routine?....[A different script intrudes]...you should know better. Troll moss requires abundant humidity and cave soil due to the high minerals. A proud heritage travels in your veins and you know so li...[script returns to normal]  The latter part of the evening was a completely different matter.  I followed Eugene, who graciously led me to an abandoned barn. 

A brawler’s ball.  It seemed to be nestled deep within.  The known and unknown brawled under controlled conditions wielding simple implements.  In this case, knives. 

Knives. 

Why do people insist on metal weapons?  The power of a trained fist is capable of rendering even the sturdiest metal baseless and inert for combat.  They love swords and large axes, but disdain their natural appendages. And crossbows. So many dismiss crossbows.  But, I suppose to each his, or her, own. 

And it was, I am a bit ashamed to admit this, a fun event!   Lucadia was an impressive combatant, as was his final opponent, Vashin.  Luca took the final purse with his victory.  Unfortunately, we arrived too late to watch Legos fight, but I have had the honor of battling beside him before, so I know he is readily capable of holding his own.  I was left with an observance.  Seems that with a knife things change for most.  On equal footing, one condition applied to all, arguments, disagreements and bad feelings are suddenly...gone.  Hard to hold resentment against another when you fight someone with all factors being level.  It seems a noble approach. 

You learn who you are; who you may become if given time.  I should thank Ingwulf.  Indirectly, he has provided an axiom oft overlooked by others, including myself:

“Rely on yourself.”     

You can truly not know yourself until you have nothing else but you.  That is a re-[ash mixes in with the ink]...n’t give me that! You disgust me. Weakening your body, not exploiting your woodland grace, depending on you- bah! You are a moron! You should be bled slow-...[the ash disappears from the surrounding text]...is the best manner to evolve, to change.

The walk back was interesting. Quiet, very relaxing through the known paths of the woodlands. But the conversation was a different matter.  Lucadia was looking for something.  He seemed concerned with the possibility of an unnatural hunter in the woods.  A killer that functioned outside of nature’s cycle. The implications, either a man, a species that tends to not follow the natural patterns of the green lands, or an unholy beast, which of course, follows no given patterns but the lust to consume emphatically.   And while we came upon no evidence explicitly proving the fact, I was intrigued by the condition of our walking companion.   A young man, pale and smelling of chemicals, though not unpleasant.  I like chemicals.  He seemed most polite and quite considerate.  And bashfully, I must admit to not catching his name. The interests of our conversation waxed between various things, such as the color of my hair and his breathing. 

His breathing.  It was interesting.

For the most part, rather unusual. Steady, not precisely weak, but with a measure of wheezing and creaking, of all things.  He seemed sickly, yet he moved quite efficiently, and with purpose.  As an amateur healer, I was very intrigued.  The question in my mind became ‘does he need help?’

Could I even help? In these lands, some things are beyond good intentions and a helpful hand. 

After the return...you know. I should pause here. Half of that night has yet to be penned, and I feel a bit guilty.

I sort of...wrecked...Master Leo’s wall this evening.  Need to learn how to apply mortar to stone and patch up a few holes.  Maybe re-enforce it. Oh, I’ll ask Gretchen.  I have been lax on my ar- [the text suddenly changes to highly organized mathematical script].  Estimated spatial requirements for organic flora growth is ~1250 square feet, or ~560 triple-tiered.  Will require secondary greenery to compensate for extensive sale of “You’re just lying now” packets, since preliminary estimates state biologicals males will ensure the ‘need’ of such a large packet of troll moss in a 93 percent recollection over other options.

On a repeated basis.

Recommend against use of scented troll moss.  May perpetrate continued misconception that ‘smoking’ this flora strain produces the same effect as the ‘other’ solicited floral entity.  Could alter sales.

Reclassification.  May be beneficial to perpetrate misconception for increased sales...

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »

So it was a candle.  A bloody, eh, magical, no...yes. No. Yes. The candle was magical!

I think.

Anyway, the point here is once we got back the outskirts, I began speaking with Ingwulf by the entrance of the Morninglord Sanctuary when a young woman noticed a rarity in the cemetery behind the temple.  She enrolled the assistance of her companion, and being the good nosey little fey I am, I followed.  Curiosity said “Take a look!”

Hence, I met Seamus and Baralin.  Seamus quickly demonstrated an aptitude for a series of skills, both mundane and mystical, while Baralin surprised me. A monastic artist! I should have known, though. Shirtless, running around in the cold at a surprising pace, nearly as quick as myself.  Or he could just be insane.  Again, as I’ve been told, like myself.

Seamus led us to a bloody candle lit and posted in the center of the cemetery.  It was a heinous little thing, and quite unsettling.  Picture this: an icky, yellowy-wax candle, very irregular in shape and leaning to the side, bathed with crimson, partly-dried blood from an unknown source. 

Of course we didn’t want to touch the damnable thing!

The wind did not make it flicker or wave, and Seamus tried a barrage of arcane energies to put it out from a distance.  Nearly knocked us off our feet! Well, Seamus, at least. Hehehe.  Baralin and I considered blowing the thing out, but honestly, we didn’t know if inadvertently we perhaps were releasing something best left locked away.  We even tried physically destroying it, but it proved resilient to our pummeling.  After traps, analysis, plans and backup plans, the solution was found after half a night of discussion and shaking out of fear.

Seamus just blew the damn thing out.

I felt silly. [A peculiar ash is mixed into the ink, as the lettering becomes choppy]...take a hit, can’t stop a werelord. You can’t even blow a meager candle out, you usel...[script change again]...ext time, we will just run. Further study of that...thing...proved that the candle was just a candle.  With a bit of forethought and a healthy supply of fear, Seamus and I discussed and concluded that perhaps the best way to ensure the candle’s destruction would be immersion, full and prolonged, in the Sanctuary’s font of holy water located at the back of the building. Yes, it may have been overkill, but honestly, when dealing with the macabre, you can never truly be overdoing it. I felt better, as I suspect Seamus did as well. 

And yet, what worried me most was not the candle itself. Unto itself it was scary.  But the scenario that sprung up around it was difficult to ignore. We had the arrival of others: an unmoving witness rooted near the outside corner of the rectory and a few disembodied voices.  Our witness, a woman in white, seemed concerned, but unmoved, by the fiasco with the candle. Through her words and knowledge, we learned that the candle, despite its grisly origin, was nothing more than a sign, an answer to a question asked.  Of course, this all led to the three obvious questions:

Who asked the question?
What was the question?
And what did the answer mean?

One of the unseen voices, of a comrade I could not see, gav...[words are blotted with ink and an oily residue]...prudence is best exercised here.  You should know better...[script becomes normal]...ould meet the owner of the voice later on.

So, the night finally ended. The destruction of a disgusting message that directly led to the formation of new friendships. 

Speaking of which, I have to quietly thank both Baralin and Seamus.  I am nursing a bruised shoulder at the moment. Stupidity caused the injury.

Baralin and I lowered ourselves into the crypt last night to help Seamus’ party who ventured into the lower bowels of the sanctuary.  A form of recovery.  And as is the way of life, Baralin, Liu and I ended up needing the help of Seamus afterwards to extract us from that death trap we foolishly wadded into.  Ironically, a few hours before I told Baralin that we all needed to be beaten to a pulp on occasion to remind us of our mortality.

We were reminded. Summarily.  Baralin couldn't pass up the chance to remind me, with a chuckle, of those words "by a wise woman" afterwards as we lay on the floor of the rectory, brought back from the great Grey Court, as Baralin calls the beyond

It is possible to be both wise and idiotic, though I laugh when I write this.  It is also possible to be humble in your ignorance.  So with a quiet sigh, let me say “thank you, sister.”     

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

[A singular line, written in a shaken, florid script with any oily ink dominates the center of the page]

....run, you fools. If you are right, if the deception -is- in play...RUN!....

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken-

The second night of my return proved to be...unusual but lovely. Well, lovely in its inception, but quickly turning to a state of preoccupation.  

I was greeted by Master Leo in the Sanctuary, and as always, it was a pleasure to see him.  Truth be told, I am appreciative of Master Leo and his quirkiness.  As different as we may seem at first, I feel we have several key issues in common, and for some reason, he seems to comprehend my distinctions.  Perhaps the fact that we belong to primary monasteries that follow very similar ideologies has something to do with our quiet understanding.

Did -I- just call him quirky? Wonder what he would say if he read this!

Our meeting proved to be a bit unsettling.  He told me, with a straight face and serious tone, if he were to be turned, I should see to his death.   Of course, the reprimand came out immediately.
“I don’t like those kinds of jokes, Leo” I blurted out, but he was very sincere in his request.  It seems that during my departure, a new adversary, a dark and foreboding being known rudimentarily as the Lich, had taken and converted two individuals, amongst others. One of these poor souls is...was...a dear acquaintance of our masterful friend.  Looking at has drooped shoulders and murmuring tone, it was obvious.  The concern was heavy upon his mind, his shoulders, his soul.  

I could not ask; I so wanted to, but it was not in me to fish for the answer.  Did he fear being turned into such a foul minion, or did he hate the idea of destroying a friend turned into such?  Figuratively, my body took his place in the Sanctuary and the question was turned upon me with its full weight.  My mind turned and headed down that same condemned path.   If he, Chang, Tabitha or my nephew -Powers forbid-, Fane, Eralynia, Niena...any of them...were to be turned...

Could I?  Would I? Or should the choice be made for me, forcing my training into motion without giving free-will a chance to assert itself in such a situation?

In the end, would I lift a finger to destroy those that are close to me?  As my resolve began sinking to Master Leo’s level of sadness, he suddenly cheered me up by doing what he does best.  Being himself.  

“Wedding,” he simply stated. After talking of a dearly departed, I thought it unusual, but not unheard of.  Some cultures do have a wedding after a funeral, but he quickly clarified my confusion on the way to what I thought would be the church.  With due reverence, I will not state the location of the wedding. They have been very kind and respectful towards me, as such in this journal, they shall have their privacy.  In its place, I can very merrily state that the ceremony was beautiful!

Before arriving, Leo surprised me. It was Cord, and a young woman, Eleora, or Elly as I have learned.  That little scoundrel, I never knew! Seems he has been stealing hearts as well as paintings and other valuables. Of course, I had to leave the outfit Tatiana gave me...[Script changes to softer script with oily ink]...they were angelic in appearance.  Too bad this world has so few of these events...[script normalizes]...tend in my usual robe and cloak, but fortunately they had been washed earlier that day.   Leo was given the honor of escorting Elly down the stairs, while Baralin, Seamus and I waited from a short distance, joyfully viewing the events unfold with gentle tears and soft murmurs.  Seamus may have left a small puddle or two of tears near the pillar.  In all fairness, I wasn’t too far behind.  Cord looked so dapper in his suit, and Elly was a true beauty to behold.  When I saw them side by side, temptation nearly took hold. What would have been my chances of finding a five foot high cake in one of the local bakeries so I could put both of them on top!? They would have looked so cute as life-sized wedding figures atop their own cake!  

Aduial narrated the ceremony with such zeal, eloquently providing a moving rendition of Corellon and growing past adversity, prospering, and how Corellon’s own selected champion should not care about that bitch Lloth and how the battle against the Night Skinned elves was an important part of our history.  Very poetic, if you ask me.  

Of course, I do carry a certain measure of guilt since I spent the night quietly needling Master Leo by taking hold of his arm, tightly, during the entire ceremony proceedings.  Question.  Which was redder that night?  My outfit or his face?  Hehehe.  Baralin’s comments did not help, but they were funny. Especially the ‘dual wedding’ and ‘green-haired children.’  Yes, Leo and I often verbally spar, and I could do him some justice by not frustrating him so much. Yes, he is shy and reserved, but in all fairness, Leo is also one of the most honest and committed individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing.  He is one of those individuals you would be proud to have as a friend.

I am.

With finishing touches, the ceremony came to a close and we were allowed to be the first to witness Mr and Mrs Tealeaf as they stood arm in arm.  Moments like that always leave a little joy in you, whether you wish it, or not.  Why someone would not, though, is beyond me.  The group scattered and changed, as some left, others arrived, thus creating a moving, fluid community of differing personalities lodged in a small, cozy room.  With the fireplace casting such a gentle glow, and the warmth of the event, he came in looking for someone.  How does life always know the best way of confusing you till you don’t know your own name? Or making you wish you did if you don’t?  

I am smiling, but that story...[chaotic, sprawling script with ashy ink begins]...come on now! Don’t be shy. Tell the details. Live a little you sentimental cow. It’s so bo...[script becomes normal again]... will be for later on, since it ties into the later part of the evening.  Things went from depressing, to enlightening to being fearful of my life. For...all life.  

It is important to note two separate things this evening that have been swimming in the ether of my thoughts as of late. First off, Master Baralin. Such an interesting philosophy for life, and its sister, the afterlife to which he refers to as part of the Grey Court.  I know the philosophy.  Another of our kind also practiced Master Baralin’s personal belief.  Baralin is a good soul, I believe. And when I see his form, I see a potential grandmaster in the making. With time, he -will- strike the balance of his own Path and follow Thomas into the strata of the Ascended, the Perfected Self.  But he must temper that one hot iron that so many wield with a bit of carelessness.

Recklessness.  He depends on his speed; a great asset that few can claim.  But life does have the nasty habit of stripping us of our most dependable traits when they are most needed, when they are greatly required.  Slow down, my friend!  We do not want to see you hurt.  Practice a bit of patience and calm, and you shall run further than any other...

Legos came to us with amazing news.  There is evidence that our kind, the elven culture, may have existed in these lands before the Tergs themselves!  Though records are limited, and the depth of our heritage is extensive, the scope of those records goes back only a few hundred years. Yet, Legos provided physical proof!  We saw the items. Yes, they could be false; elaborate frauds designed to confuse us.  But, the fact a bounty hunter has been on the prowl for said items proves they have some worth.  Even just literary research could prove incredibly fruitful.  As a security measure, I won’t list those who are aware of the event, who is holding the relics or what the items were, though I do have rubbings of some items. This can all prove to be significant for elven kind, but we must proceed carefully. If this is a hoax, we must learn who and why!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:33:53 PM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »

....too...much...information...

You really don't realize how diverse the Outlands are until you actually *look* at what is there. Where did I put that scroll on the Palace of Judgment?....

AAAAAAARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!...

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken…

…it is testament that this soul is indeed verging on the edge of insanity and clarity. And surprisingly, relishing the fact….-

So long. I mean, so, so long. When I told him that, he blushed. 

Then a rock landed on the fishing rod, and he just cried for half an hour at the broken, splintered stick.  "Inherited from my father", he said.  That's sad, but it does prove the old monk proverb:  Never swing your rod at fish while underneath an overhanging cliff. 

Oh, well.  On a different point, the Squirrel-Mink war is reaching an all-time fevered pitch. Yes, I've been away, not yet ready to return. But I took care to stock the minks with needed weapons, provisions, tactical strategies, and really cute bronze helmets with little horns on them! I've been receiving staggered reports, and things have been progressing well.  There are some complaints, though.  Not enough spears, it seems. They're being used as backscratchers more than implements of war.  And the female minks are arguing that the chain link mail outfits are riding up "their business" when they run.  Might have to modify the suits. Again.  First it was not enough cleavage, then too much, now riding up the backside. *sigh* I should have gone with plate mail, but you know how hard it is to design a breastplate for a species with up to six breasts?….

[chaotic, sprawling script with ashy ink begins]…and you wonder why people levee charges of instability against you? Speechless...[script becomes normal again]...

-The text ends with a soft mink paw, in red ink, marking the end of the missive…-

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken…

…it is testament that this soul is indeed verging on the edge of insanity and clarity. And surprisingly, relishing the fact….-

It was an interesting night, to say the least. I come out of hiding for an evening, and the whole world is upside down. Well, didn't help that I often stand on my head, but that's no reason for the Topsy-turvey gremlins to come out and just pull the rug out from under me.  *sigh* Well, I shouldn't complain. I did get to spend the evening talking with Isiolia, which was such a pleasant surprise!  I hadn't seen her in so long. Well, duh, I'm blind. But still!  Apparently she's done very well in blowing up, decimating, melting, convulsing, confusing, eradicating, lacerating, immolating and magically converting beings with her potions. 

She's a blessing for those poor, thirsty souls at the hospice.  And you know, it's heartwarming to see such daring advancements in alchemy.  It doesn't get the respect it should. 

Necromancy. Pffft.

Anyone can raise the dead.

Old men do it all the time.  They're even happy about it, sometimes. Most times.

Oh, oh! She told me that Shay has a new love in her life. Rith is the name. I must meet her.  Seems our little Shay is in the clouds. Couldn't be happier! I can picture it now. Shay and Rith, even though I don't know her yet, with a family, settled on a farm. Oh, oh. What would they call their first born? Hmmm. The tradition is often a combination of the first names, so....yeah, little Shiths running around, making noise and playing in the fields.  Setting fires. Re-animating the dead pets. Directing undead cows to give unpasteurized yogurt instead of milk.

"Little Shith! Come get your dinner!"

Wh-...why does that not sound right....?

[chaotic, sprawling script with ashy ink begins]…there are unmentionable Lords of Chaos in the layer of Limbo, buried deep in the corners of the plane, who would suffer head explosions, in awe AND fear, at the mention of your name......twit....[script becomes normal again]

I have to go the wedding. But of course, I would end up contracting Port Bards before then.

Ta-ta-taaaaaaaa! It's not fair. Why do the voices in her head harmonize right and mine never, ever keep a straight note?! They fight for parts, one always does a cappella at the wrong time. The mezzo forte is a tenor, and they never come in on cue.  It's like they're purposely TRYING to drive me insane at times. Not to mention, they keep telling me that I'm too top heavy.

"I could bounce a Solar coin off them and over a person."  That's just rude.

Still...hmmm. I do have a Solar here.  [Script changes to softer script with oily ink]...Our kind does not need the trappings of currency. You know this already.....[script normalizes]

I-...just lost a rare 100-piece Solar coin. It flew over the wall and landed into the river. [Script changes to a softer script with oily ink]...Idiot. Port has some really nice open back dresses with the side slits for the right leg. You could have purchased at least two.  And we can't get our size just anywhere.....[script normalizes]

Nearly forgot! Met a nice man yesterday. Nerein is his name. Nice, red hair. Murderous look to the eyes. A large and somewhat eerie, bloodly scythe. You know, he'd make a good mentor for the kids at the orphanage.  He looks like an arts and crafts kind of fellow!

Have to ask Isiolia why the hat-makers in this region are so hypersexualized. Yes, they make good hats, but come on.

-The text ends with a soft mink paw, in red ink, marking the end of the missive…-

-Semi-Retired-

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
-The following is the partially deciphered text of a forlorn, hidden journal, written in a multitude of languages, from a florid elven script, to a highly organized mathematical notation dotted with a fiery, chaotic, symbolic lexicon.  A breathing inked testament that all thought is not necessarily coherent, but yet, not always mistaken…

It is done.  

If they only knew what I had to do, the sacrifice.  It cost too much but there is just no other option now.  If am too slow, they die. If I overreact, the result is them marching to their deaths.  It's been timed, and finished to the best our ability.  There's no choice! Isi's information, if correct, indicates the enemy may be after the Phur Tay'l. Being that the case, it is out of our hands and we have to do this.  

So….the minks have the cutest little plate mail bronze breast plates! With tassels!

The squirrels won't know what hit them. They'll look, stand stunned and go "baaaaaaah" and run in fear!  Now, I need a mechanist to miniaturize a trebuchet and create the mink-sized acorn trebuchet.  We'll use the squirrels own nuts against them! Bwwwahahahahaha. It's brilliant.   Of course, we may need several trebuchets, like three. Or maybe a fourbuchet.  Ohhhhh….a fivebuchet! Deadly!

[chaotic, sprawling script with ashy ink begins]…nothing to see, keep on people....[script becomes normal again]

Of course, it would be easier if the Port Bards would shut up for a while. Give me a chance to think. You know. Write.  Analyze. Metalsmith. Squat. Hard to squat for any reason when you hear an off-cue "Row Your Boat".  And why has one of them taken to "mooing" when we pass by a pig? Really? "Moo?" Come on! Everyone knows that a pig goes "Bacon!"  Simple as that.  [chaotic, sprawling script with ashy ink begins]…no…really...nothing to see.  It's empty. I've checked.  Exit stage left....[script becomes normal again]

[Script changes to softer script with oily ink]…because you do not understand does not mean it is empty…weird, yes, but insightful perhaps...[script normalizes]

Not a bad idea. Cleaning earwax with that gunpowder I keep hearing about.  What could go wrong?….

OCC:  If you wanna see your character listed in this madness, drop me a line. If I know you, I'll make a note; if not, when and if I get back in the game, we'll meet and I'll give you Rhetra's take of your character.  Hehehehehe.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:43:09 PM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-