You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Words of a mercenary  (Read 13826 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Words of a mercenary
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Entry One

I do not usually write down things. But since of my lack of a home and the lack of proper safety. I shall write down my words here, should I die, I hope this book falls into the right hands. I will not present myself by name, should you find this journal somehow.

I need to although write down what happens. Never in my life would I think that I would somehow be imprisoned in such a strange place like this. It is beyond my imaginations and I barely know anything of worth about this. I have to seek new allegiances and contracts here. But it is hard to be a foreigner in a strange, far away land. Trusting people, can be hard. One will never know whom might stab your back.

I have come to find relief in the service of one woman. My lack of old possessions, lack of a home, lack of friends, the little family I had and of people one could get a favour of two from, this woman proved to be essential to my life here. There for she carry my full loyalty. It goes beyond the curvy hips and chest, beyond coin and power. It is mere the feeling of being able to call upon someone that one can stay somewhat safe with. Is she loyal to me? That do not matter, since I am the pawn and I know that. I am in her service and I leech upon her progress and her ability to gain allies and a fundament of security. She also given me an offer, that I am not happy about in all honesty, but I am tied to take it. It gives me a reason and a motive! A proof of my ability and that I am needed. A reason to live and to establish a new life in this new, strange and wild, wicked world. Where my last days in that swamp was horrendous and I was probably going to die, this was in a odd way mayhaps, a saviour. This weird mist who stole everything from so many, from us all! Can a curse be a blessing?

I'm a warrior, a mercenary, I lived by the sword and earned by the sword. I am like many others, warriors, like a wolf, a mind made for killing. Only thing is that many warriors I met had the mentality of a wolf alone, or like a fluffy bear who when rages is unstopable, I distanced myself, I'm a fox. Mayhaps not as prone to kill like the wolf or as enduring as the bear, but I am careful and calculating.

Should I ever establish a company, playing with the idea in my mind, It will be the...Grin of The Blue Fox Company, since there is always one upon my face.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:56:13 PM by Budly »

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Words of a mercenary
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
Entry Two

She is a gem among women...Maybe even one to challenge her. Maybe...hah!

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
Entry Three

I believe I was wrong in my entry before this. I was honest with what I learned!

My bed was warm tonight...how could I ever even consider going away from her? She plays her cards always with perfection, seeing her work more close by shall be interesting...

A warm bed indeed....A special night this winter oh yes

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
Entry Four

Mayhaps I just sold my soul by signing that paper. She is like an succubi or what now they are called, she has me in her paws now, her foxy paws.

The good part is, I cannot complain and If any person should gain my full loyality it should be her. I have it no other way. She given me a goal atleast, I cannot complain on that. I must say, I hope I can be old enough to sit somewhere far away, in the sun...reading these entries and smile as I remember the beginning of the good old days. The second woman to give a candle of hope must off been my poor mother who did teach me to read and write. Prayers to her, where ever she went and curses on my father if he abandoned her just cause of me! 

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
Entry Five

Where is she now?

I feel confused, she has not contacted me in a while nor have I seen her about. I like the her, I enjoyed her company even if I knew she in a way used me, I also used her in my own way. But she was my key, I was...I am loyal to her. Yet I see not where she gone. Is she dead? Did she leave me here without a word? What about the promises she made? I lost everything, Have I lost everything again? I sit in my damn armor, with some coin and nothing else. This is getting tedious! I have no proper friends, no allies, no work, nothing in this realm if she is gone. Some light chat with people is easy but it do not make them my friends. Nor my family. Every day is a damn struggle, even if I was hired to kill for some scum nobleman back in what I called home, It was still home and I could just abandon the contract if the noble bastard broke the rules...Now I cannot abandon this damn Barovia and go back home. There is no home, there is no good old pub to go to where one would know who I am and welcome me like a son.

And if she is somehow gone aswell...I have nothing beyond myself, my blade and shield and my wits.

I hate this realm and it is now that I feel weak. I lack influence, power, fortune! I lack everything here. Im not native, I do not speak the tongue.

Harsh it be! Damnit all to the Nine Hells!? 

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
Entry Six

Disrespect, I tried to protect it. All she saw it as was unstubly, back to square one. No matter what I do, she is impossible to please and treat me as a dog or cattle. Now she avoids me cause of one filthy thing. She do business with it, he is the source. He is the problem, to him she  talk. Not to me. She dishonoured me aswell now. I will, not put up with this for longer and this land is lawless beyond  the Barovia city gates. I will kill her, I am slowly getting fed up with everything here. Keeping a cheerful face, a strong morale! Healthy body, discipline, mind.

I never liked the blue blood. She is one of such blood. I am loyal to her but I can only take so much. She returns to treat me yet again like a damn pet.   

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
Entry Seven

I once had a plan or maybe even a dream one can say. Of buying a farm in a remote village, maybe a inn if I ever hit a lucky strike sometime! Telling bad stories of my days as a mercenary and caravan guardsman.
Saving coins from every job, leaving them in the inn with Uncle Brosky, oh I miss the old dwarf bastard.
But my chest of gold will never be seen, Brosky will never see me or anyone else from back home for that matter. That wish to find the gorgeous famers daughter I sometimes just had in mind at rainy days out on a muddy road are never possible. A mercenary bad is still possible I presume but buying land from the Barovians is probably not even remotely possible.

And now im back to doing the same damn lowly tasks as I was before, as a younger man. But I presume I have to start from point zero. With my careeer and with her. Damn women is hard to please! Especially her. One fatal mistake and you can destroy everything and lay it to ruin. I hope the little bastard atleast speaks to me soon again. Proud smug woman,  and I cannot simply hate her even if she makes me furious at times.

Back to running damn errands and guarding fruit salesmen. Mayhaps the fruit is bit more dangerous then I make it sound like on the other hand.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:40:04 PM by Budly »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
Entry Eight

They welcomed me with open arms among them, they given me equipment worthy of years of work for me. They shown me hope, opened doors for me. Of course, I know they expect me to repay them and I have a odd feeling I will not end up healthy should I try to leave them. Damn, I would on my own feel sick and a traitor if I left them with all of these  things. I feel atleast welcomed, but I prefer the Broken Bell over our "home", the service works too.

I believe I called myself a clever fox once, but among these I feel like a bulky wolf among foxes. But I welcome it, they are my foxes to protect.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
Entry Nine

Some military type applying for membership in this family. Proclaimed to have a background "similar to yours!" they said. That means he is competition to my position among the family. Im a mercenary and caravanguardsman, he is a Sergeant of the Cormyr army.

An opponent both with the woman I have great respect for and my part in the social heirarchy. Damn soldiers, full of arrogance, sticking to their "squad".

They say the mercenary lack honour and such, but the soldier lack a brain. He follow orders! No matter what, even if the order given now put the organisation at danger. Brainless bastards. Like wild hounds, not foxes or wolfs that. "Head of Security", not over my dead body.

There is a few more lines added to the entry alter.

Mayhaps I was to eager to anger and hate, I....let go of it for now.
I love this family, I can say. All of them, feels good to be among them! The Captain, she knows how to calm a broken and lost soul indeed. Not that im broken! Just lost and a bit on the side of keeping bad emotions for to long until they explode. Good woman! I praise her highly! 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:51:33 PM by Budly »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
Entry ten

Seemingly I am about to be one of the few members left here. They are "reforming the wing" in the capital of Dementliue.

Port a Lucine.

And Im one of few left here to sit in this cold, damn backwater hole in the Barovian hell called Vallaki. Good knows now when winter is coming! No, it is not. I have to do with what I got and be "happy to have a bed and warm food". All I can think of is how depressive it will be here. It pleases me not but Im to serve and be loyal to the family?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
Entry eleven

I was in a rather poor mood today. Not angry, not sourer. Just a bit pesimistic.

But the things I saw today, is things I cannot comprehend fully. Frozen skeletons, walking ice, demonic tombs? Ghostly beings? Im just a mercenary and a guard of caravans. This is beyond my simple mind. But I become stronger from this.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
Entry Twelve

I bought some garlic bread and Im going to say good bye to the folks in the Vallaki services. There is still a few people there I enjoy I must say.

Then I shall take the boat and head for the capital of Dementliue as soon as possible. My new home for now.

It do seem quite delightful

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Entry Thirteen.

Seemingly, the Vallaki branch is trouble.

Everyone is to the outside, united.

A nation at war with another nation. Is united against it.
But the Nobles are struggling over power, the orders fight each others, the trading houses fight each others. Cities aim to out do its neighbour. Villages are opponents. Families struggle against each others. Damnit, even brothers aim to out do the others.

There will always be a internal struggle in everything and I aim to make my own family the better. The mercenary life is rough. Companies might end up fighting over contracts. If someone dies,  that's means to an end.

A extra part been added later on: But family is always family. Keep them close to heart. The bastard! Haha!

I do wonder where little Redsy is now. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:40:38 PM by Budly »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »
Entry Fourtheen.

The Vallaki Branch...If it burns down I would not lift a finger to help them. The treatment shown by the filth is horrendous. They are nothing more then the same damn thing. Filthy traders like everywhere else. Looking all imitating and dangerous, looking after their kin.
But they are nothing but wenches and brawlers selling drugs and junk to peons and homeless

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
Entry fiftheen

The events of late has really tied me up in Vallaki. They are moving me on many levels and I now feel loyalty to the branch...To the family. I cannot abandon it. THis is beyond our shall chasms. I do miss Morgan now, an extra blade would be good. Vadim, cannot say I hate him either even if we had our little arguement. Where is Captain and Steyr? I would feel much safer with them here.

Added to the entry

Even more trouble showed up by morning. Damned be this country!

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22:32 AM »
Entry sixtheen

Dragos Vadim. Bastards punishes the other branches. Their loyal lapdog is choosen to be the overseer of the branch. For the failure of the Vallaki branch. Im disgusted. Loyalty is often not to the organisation, royal family or a house but to the individuals. It do not make me happy but I have to go along with it and see how it ends. Might be...decent? I hope atleast.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:27:29 AM by Budly »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
Entry Seventeen.

I am nothing but a damn dog for them. A tool, that can be replaced. I am sure they will not hesitate to kill me if I continue to struggle against them. I thought I had come to a place where I could evolve, become a better man and raise in rank or atleast appreciation. The current leadership do not appreciate me. That I know. I know whom I can rely on and whom not. But I am no ones dog, Im a fox. You think you have me trapped. You think Im a fool. Im not the most clever of men or the best handler of a sword but least I have some wit and strong will in a fight. Who am I kiding? Im just one man with no particular talent. But Im no damn dog, Im the damn fox in a wolfs body.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »
Entry Eightheen

Why do the Barovians allow a settlement of freaks under their settlement? Seemingly its full fo cirminal filth. Childkindappers and murderers, half orcs.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Entry nightheen

Seemingly everything is collapsing around us. We are not many left. I mayhaps should see this as a excellent chance to get up in the ladder of ambition but I only see it with sad eyes and miss those that I did enjoy the company of.

I think I will wake up my old Waukeen faith a bit more...I prayed to her often and Tymora at times silly enough. May Waukeen hear my prayers cause I will need them if I am to take more responsibility form now on.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Entry Twenty

I spoke some ot this Breeanna. Seemingly a interesting woman. I hope I can speak more to her and see what she trades in. Business calls.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Entry Twentyone

I got booted out of that ruin of a faction, the ashes of a once strong family who was loyal. Now its just a collection of street thugs and musical girls...and of course, Schala. A pity she is still there. I stood up for this family. Fighting wererat cults and followed on strange journeys to defend their captains. This is the thanks I get?

Some narrowed eyed monkey from the street gets promoted to full membership to mock me? Some thug of the Boss attacks me? Seemingly a mind of indepedence and self awareness is not welcomed. They want puppets. And puppets they have. Dead puppets they shall be. Poor Schala, lost her whole family in one sweep. Would not suprise me if she get booted soon enough aswell.

"Do not reveal family secrets". What is there to reveal? Everyone knows where you hid, anyone knows how to get inside. You cannot even protect yourself from some cult of wererats. You sell weapons to every side in a conflict. It will bite you in the end. Bashing a dog in the face to make it mad and crazy for dog fights will end bitterly for you.

Idiots! May the Red Traders burn in the chasms of Hell and Abyss.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Entry Twentytwo

Laying low as it is. Waiting for things to happen. Least Im happy to be out of the mess of a trading house. Never have I seen a more desperate and pathetic trading house in my life time.

Port a Luciné seems to be a decent place to continue on. A big damn settlement! Sure I find something to do. Barovia is a hell hole so there be nothing lost.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
Entry Twentythree

I do not know how I got out of it alive or how my mind did not get more effected. I have to thank the arcanist for that. But four armed big hulking beasts and winged, scantly clad women with a strange feeling about them in that cavern....it was mind numbing and strange. Never have I met such foes before. Demons.

I have to thank my two friends and allies for surviving that. No names mentioned. Should I ever attract bad attention and be murderer. A journal full of names is a bad lead on others not deserving of trouble caused by me.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:18 AM »
Entry twentyfour

It is good to be out of the damnation itself, Barovia, Vallaki. Let the Red Vardo fight over that hell hole. Arguing over nothing with a bunch of freaks in the underworld. Im happy Im out of it. The things I seen of late....should scar a man for life but I presume one do get used to it. All those hero types and adventurering lunatics as I once called them! They all started out as peasants or normal folks most of them. Dementliue is....a land of high class and strange social codex to follow. Im a mere peasant among the rich, famous and powerful. But I presume that is how the slum dogs see me.  Im not in the top nor the bottom. Im somewhere inbetween and Im useless. That is good, conidence in being useless makes one a dangerous card to release when needed and such things are good to have in your armory. Cause Im nothing more than that old wolf, the mercenary that most of the time go in what direction I am pointed to go towards.

They can as said, have their struggles in Vallaki. Port a Lucine is at another level of "games". It takes a stronger mind and charismatic approach to get anywhere, or so I do believe.

We see how it goes.

Red head, where did you go?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
Entry Twentyfive

Seems the damn Vardo will continue to sponsor this establishment. Quite the pity with their history.

I also think I saw bribes....bribes to the garda infront of my eyes? Stupid move or are they so deeply controlled they can do such out in the open?