Author Topic: A easy access head changing station?  (Read 2517 times)

Phantom25

• New to the Mists
A easy access head changing station?
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »
Right now (as far as I know)  To get a head change, you have to contact a DM about it. Why not set up some sort of station where you can change it yourself? It could be in the ooc lobby directly/ have a teleport in the ooc lobby to a  place set up to change your head. Any other thoughts/ ideas/suggestions would be great.

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
Re: A easy access head changing station?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
I see the potential for abuse, this being used as a frequent means of disguise or appearance altering to avoid recognition.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
The system is like it is for a reason: to prevent players from making ridiculous changes to their heads with no other reason than "it looks cooler" or "i wanna hide".

Just PM a DM, give them your reason.  If the reason is proper, most of the time they have no problem helping.  Just make sure it's a good reason, heh.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »
What about a hiar salon? You know so we can dye our hair whacky colours :mrgreen:

Who here hasn't wanted Blue hair? ... Uhm don't answer that :P

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:38 AM »
What about a hiar salon? You know so we can dye our hair whacky colours :mrgreen:

..Rainbow Bupi, Rainbow Bupi...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbs1TaznXGY[/youtube]

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »

That could work for Dementlieu, having a hair salon or wig store. Which would make sense IG.

the problem is that if they got hair dyed or head changed IG then they could claim that they are in disguise by having a head changed.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Uhm... You do realise that my post was half in jest right?  :P

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
herkles doesnt see humor herkles only sees options (for the port).

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
One way I would do it if it is possible is to have a timer on it. Thus you would go to the Hair Salon and get your hair dyed a new colour but after a set amount of time, (maybe a one in game month) your hair colour would revert back to what it was originally to simulate that you grew out deyed colour over time. To keep your hair the new colour would have to keep going back to the hair salon to get your hair re-dyed. Be another money sink for the DEVS actually ;)

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
To the op: I'm not sure what I think of easy head changing.  Gonna echo the masses and say that I kinda like having the DM oversight on that stuff.

As far as hair color changing, however...

One way I would do it if it is possible is to have a timer on it. Thus you would go to the Hair Salon and get your hair dyed a new colour but after a set amount of time, (maybe a one in game month) your hair colour would revert back to what it was originally to simulate that you grew out deyed colour over time. To keep your hair the new colour would have to keep going back to the hair salon to get your hair re-dyed. Be another money sink for the DEVS actually ;)

I would assume that it wouldn't take too much effort to put in, either, since the head changer in the new player room lets you change color already.  Would just have to remove the head-changing options from that, and tie a cost to it, and voila!  Instant hair salon.  I don't think I'd bother putting in a duration on the hair color, because that'd probably involve a lot more work with putting extra scripts in to monitor it.

Plus it'd be another foppish fashion option for the dementileu elite.  "Will you look at her?  The poor dear still has -purple- hair.  Doesn't she know that Teal is the new purple?"  I mean, at formal occasions they already try to outdo eachother with bright, vibrant outfits, so it'd be a small step to take to dye their hair to go along with an outfit.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
snip

well they wouldn't have that strange hair colors for wigs :P but according to canon white powder wigs are common in dementlieu.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
Seriously, as far as scripting a timer on the hair colour it's not that hard to impliment and I would guess that it only will require a line or two of code to make it work. Just would take a little time to set it up. As for the colours themselves I would keep them to mostly natural colours. Thus white, Blonde, Brunette, black, and Ginger tones only. Mostly because whacky hair colours is a relatively modern thing as far as I know.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
....i rather not see this happen at all not the coloring not the heads.

heads is a bi g NONO cause well its so easy to abuse.

colours   i think there will be people with a new colour every 3 days      its not 2012 its olden days, also abuseable     ppl will go you cant recognise my char bla bla bla its now a red head bla bla bla.

you said ginger honoun...go wash your mouth those have no soul thus no busnis here       :mrgreen:
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
To be fair, hair dye does have a decent history.  And if a person is only allowed to change their hair color, then you can say, "No, I still recognize your character with red hair.  If you want a more effective disguise, I can help your character lop off their nose.  :twisted:"

Of course, there would be people who use the hair dye frequently, but that's part of the point.  I think it'd fit right in at port, it'd work as another gold dump for characters, and it'd also would give people another thing to rp with.

You mention the "you can't recognize my character!" thing as a negative, but I can see some creative uses for it.  A person could purposely dye their hair black, commit a robbery or a mugging with a mask, but leave their hair exposed, and then scurry off to dementileu to get their hair back to their natural color. (either as a frame-job or just to help with their disguise)

It's the "bleach my hair in the gas station sink" of the fantasy world.  :mrgreen:

armybrat69

• Undead Slayer
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive !
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
Depending on how it was scripted (if possible) I think a hair salon or even a wig shop in the port a unique feature that can add to RP for there, what LackofCertainty said rings true. I  like and dislike that heads cant be easily changed however since this is a dedicated RP server our facial features will not be changing every 3 or 4 days.

What I would love to see are some features that can aid in a disguise since many a person will want to hide. Hair dye is a very feasible thing that one could use outside of merely a different costume. As for a head changing station maybe something akin to a crazed plastic surgeon or insane mage that does this for a substantial amount of money in a lucrative location. This can at least give  an RP reason as to how a head gets changed.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -Thomas Paine

"We are all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different levels." -Unknown