You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Anachronism of the Governor's Hotel  (Read 3797 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Anachronism of the Governor's Hotel
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
I know this probably won't get changed but I figured I'd mention it just to get it off my chest :P

The Governor's Hotel represents an anachronism in the sense that its floors are organised the wrong way round: cheaper rooms on lower levels and the expensive penthouse on the top level is a product of the modern era, with its combination of elevators and noise pollution from streets.

In the days before cars and elevators, the opposite arrangement held simply because it was less of a hassle to reach the lower floors: thus the penthouse was usually on the ground floor while the cheaper rooms and apartments were in the higher ones. Additionally, roofs were often poorly insulated and leaky; and rich people didn't want to live in leaky, windy appartments!

There, I've gotten it off my chest, I can go back to ignoring it again.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
Re: Anachronism of the Governor's Hotel
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
You know, that is kind of a valid point. But in terms of layout how would you suggest to build it? I haven't seen any of these rooms yet, but I imagine the top floor offers more room for creative decoration. If you watch old Sherlock Holmes movies they show different ways of arranging well to do places. In The Woman in Green[1] specifically is an example of a highrise apartment, complete with a open air terrace in London.
 1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
You know, that is kind of a valid point. But in terms of layout how would you suggest to build it? I haven't seen any of these rooms yet, but I imagine the top floor offers more room for creative decoration. If you watch old Sherlock Holmes movies they show different ways of arranging well to do places. In The Woman in Green[1] specifically is an example of a highrise apartment, complete with a open air terrace in London.
 1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038259/

Hmm, I'm not sure... Sherlock Holmes is already the Victorian era, in the full swing of the Industrial revolution, so somewhat too late.

I'd essentially reverse the order of the rooms: Penthouse on the first floor, cheapest rooms at the top. That way, if you buy a cheap room you have to run all the way up and down to get to your room :P

I'm saying this because one of my chars has currently rented a cheap room on the 1st floor and it's far more convenient despite being far cheaper...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
There is another way to solve this without having the order of the floors re-arranged: the Governor's Hotel is outfitted with the newest and greatest Lamordian invention - THE LIFT!  :haw:

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »

Elevator scenes..... 8)

Shadowthrone

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

Elevator scenes..... 8)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVfLOqtPR8[/youtube]

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »

Elevator scenes..... 8)

Awwwwww yeaaaah..... But a pulley system would require a strength check to haul ones self up. The elevator wasn't properly invented in the 1800s...

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

Elevator scenes..... 8)

Awwwwww yeaaaah..... But a pulley system would require a strength check to haul ones self up. The elevator wasn't properly invented in the 1800s...

Isn't that what hired labor is for?

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
 :o

Badelaire

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
No longer will I have to enact uncomfortable elevator small talk in the travel vardos.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
do we get the waiting music added with it?  and anoying kids comming in at random and pressing every button?   aswell as the smell of piss   or other awfull smells?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Badelaire

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »
How I see most elevator encounters ending:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mJwICR1Heoo[/youtube]

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 03:56:50 AM »
*wink wink*

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Yrhv33Zb8 [/youtube]
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
that sock fetish fella is in love is it me or is it showing?     ;)
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »

Elevator scenes..... 8)

As long as we dont have to wait 3 minutes.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »
I will only accept an elevator scene IF we also get the cheesy music with it  :mrgreen:

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 04:48:49 AM »
ofcouse, there would be a bard in the elevator to make sure the ride was comftable.