Author Topic: Winterlass  (Read 3566 times)

Reigh

• Undead Master
Winterlass
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
The winterlass could look more wintery like this.

Spoiler: show
Glowing cold

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Winterlass
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »
In my opinion, the less glowy effects and walking Christmas tree's (buffed up mages) we have, the better fiting a Grim, horror setting like Ravenloft. Fits immersion to not have things glowing, it do also scare the natives.

Nurlithion

• Undead Slayer
  • Player name: gfgfgfgfgf
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »
I'm with Budly, I'd rather we have a LOT less glowing stuff, and especially some way, like in the crafting menu, to deactivate glow and visual effects on weapons.

I mean, it was a big moment for me when Soren finally got a glowing ring and stopped spending all his money on glowjars, and it kinda sucks that now I have to use a blue-glowing lightning sword if I want to hurt stuff; it feels much more in-setting when I can just use my regular silver-gilded steel one.
Soren d'Deneith - Eberronian human two-bladed swashbuckler, headstrong but good-hearted and strong of arm.

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »
Wish that my Vjaya didn't have the shockwave going through it...

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
I like it just the way it is. Low elemental bonuses don't glow, high does. Makes sense.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
I like it just the way it is. Low elemental bonuses don't glow, high does. Makes sense.

I do not think it makes sense in a low fantasy setting. But everyone to his own :)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »
Did I just read you right Budly? Low fantasy setting? Uhm... I think you mean low magic setting cause the fact we have elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, werewolves, vampires, zombies, wights, etc etc etc running about pretty much qualifies the server as a high fantasy, (if one of gothic horror) setting, if you ask me. Of course my definition is kinda broad on that.

Anyway sorry for derailing the topic a bit. Please resume your discussion. :mrgreen:

P.S. I have no issue with glowing swords or what have you, I think they are pretty  :P

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
budly is right with the fantasy part.

everyone knows trolls are real and elves dwarves  so on so on,   i have garlic at my door and windows  cause i know vamps exist.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
That really depends on your definition for what is fantasy to determine whether or not you are correct. As I stated my definition is quite broad and anything that has what I mentioned in it qualifies as high fantasy in some form as far as I'm concerend. Basically its a matter of oppinion really so has no real wieight in this debate.

EDIT: You know, I should read your posts a bit more carefully.... I think you fooled me :|

Anyhoo... back to the topic at hand ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:23:40 AM by Honoun »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
Well me and my PnP grouped uses low and high fantasy :(

And I think Ravenloft is low fantasy or atleast Barovia is, might be more high magic/fantasy realms. Magic is not accepted, people are afraid of! I think thats pretty low fantasy/magic :)

Anyway! We be going off topic. =)

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »

What is low? 1d4? Winterlass has 1d4 cold dmg and Vjaya like Ingwulf said also has 1d4, but electrical dmg. But Vjaya has the visual effect. In fact, my lava halberd also has 1d4 fire dmg and is all fiery. So there doesn't seem to be a rule here connected to dmg. What determines the visual effect maybe is more connected to the description of the item?

Wouldn't mind if the effects were taken away on those mentioned, but there must be a reason the effects were put on them. No effect for 1d4 dmg and effect for 1d6+ seems reasonable to me. NWN automatically applies the effect according to that anyway.

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

What is low? 1d4? Winterlass has 1d4 cold dmg and Vjaya like Ingwulf said also has 1d4, but electrical dmg. But Vjaya has the visual effect. In fact, my lava halberd also has 1d4 fire dmg and is all fiery.

Exactly.  :rock:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:38:03 PM by TrinityTitan »

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
Spoiler: show
Double post accident
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:19:04 PM by TrinityTitan »

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
The less shiny weapons we have, the better.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:57 AM »
No poilishing cloths for you then  :P

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »
The less shiny weapons we have, the better.

Da my Russian friend! I fully agree there.

Anyway, I guess its no use arguing about it, for now ;)

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
We can't have magic weapons that look magical but some of the armor items can glow in the dark and look completely ridiculous like a lime green leotard and can't be changed to look quieter? Yes clearly realistic mid-evil to late Renaissance style is paragon.

There's nothing wrong with named magic weapons looking magical.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:57:36 AM by RedwizardD »