Author Topic: Jumping Alts  (Read 9414 times)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Re: Jumping Alts
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
 :flame:    :Seriously__We_Need_One__by_Ca           :wtf:

MistJumper

• Outlander
  • the weremink!
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
just another little tidbit, do with it what you will, but I have seen Players with MPCs log out and in to bring on the MPC when certain groups leave the outskirts, with the intent of interacting with said group. I see no problem with that, even if PCs end up dead because of it.

I also have noticed that there is a latent "habit" of MPCs hanging out in the crypts under the outskirts, the sewers off of the outskirts, and today, the beetle caves right outside the outskirts. Basically the low level dungeons, and the said MPCs, seem to be there to bully the lower level PC that go there. Whether that is to scare them, kill them or whatever, I don't know, As I stated I choose to not interact with MPCS. It gets rather frustrating to go into these places, trying to get enough loot, to actually get better than start gear, maybe make a level or 2 so that they can survive the better dungeons, only to be stopped at the entrance by some MPC, who is so intent on RP, that the logical reason for them being there has gone out the window. {Yes I am talking about Anna P, the high level vamp that was in the beetle cave. Surely the beetles aren't a source of blood for you.) What is the point of that? running out of higher level parties to decimate, that your "slumming it"? I have been in a large (7-9PC) group that was nearly wiped out by Anna, With a 8th level druid. And said Druid was one of the lower levels of that group.

Why do I bring it up here?, it is part of the problem of MPC/vs Death from other PC interaction.  Another thing,
Sinful_Wishes " Some clarifications:
When I logged in, I was not left alone long enough to admit me the ability to log out without cheesing an escape. I had actually logged out for dinner earlier, and logged back in to find myself in the middle of PCs, which I had to react accordingly. I tried to leave after this first group, but the doors were locked and I was stuck, while checking, I ran into more players and thus everything else unfolded.

MPCs do not teleport out of dungeons upon being logged out.

Again, I have absolutely no care about dying. This issue at hand is people switching characters, or forcing themselves into a situation because they just want to end someone elses character without worrying about story, but rather, winning and being the hero. The only reason the MPC -did- come back, was because someone took the time to roleplay doing it.

You could have stopped everything after the first encounter ended, with a simple // Um guys I need some RL time, as I just finished a rather long encounter. Perfectly acceptable. You could have lied and said //logging to use the bathroom., or //logging for the night. or //waiting for Dm assistance. Also would have stopped any unfortunate outcome.
MPC, may not teleport out, but they do end up back in the ooc room with everyone else at a reset. You chose to continue, You know perfectly well that many players here have other characters. You also knew that you were in the most farmed dungeon on the server, and that not all "level ranged" for that dungeon were 1, or 2 areas away. You chose to accept that when you went down there, when you left the safety of the Von Zeklos crypt. (yes the assassin imp was mine) you knew exactly where you were going as you followed my toon all the way back to the outskirts. Even after it was clear that my PC was not going to stay and chat with you. My apologes if you think I am being unfair, however, I think its rather silly to whine about having your monster killed in a undead dungeon frequented by undead killing PCs. Whether they brought in higher powered toons or not. Not everyone here plays the same way you do, nor do they immerse themselves in the Rp totaly. Some of us enjoy it for being a game that you get to kill stuff in, that you can grow in power, and that you can just have fun too.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
My apologes if you think I am being unfair, however, I think its rather silly to whine about having your monster killed in a undead dungeon frequented by undead killing PCs. Whether they brought in higher powered toons or not.

Pretty sure the issue ISN'T that he was killed. His posts never said that. The issue remains people metagaming their own characters logging of one to log into another to come confront an AMPC that character has NO idea is there, save 'the player' knowing.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
just another little tidbit, do with it what you will, but I have seen Players with MPCs log out and in to bring on the MPC when certain groups leave the outskirts, with the intent of interacting with said group. I see no problem with that, even if PCs end up dead because of it.

I also have noticed that there is a latent "habit" of MPCs hanging out in the crypts under the outskirts, the sewers off of the outskirts, and today, the beetle caves right outside the outskirts. Basically the low level dungeons, and the said MPCs, seem to be there to bully the lower level PC that go there. Whether that is to scare them, kill them or whatever, I don't know, As I stated I choose to not interact with MPCS. It gets rather frustrating to go into these places, trying to get enough loot, to actually get better than start gear, maybe make a level or 2 so that they can survive the better dungeons, only to be stopped at the entrance by some MPC, who is so intent on RP, that the logical reason for them being there has gone out the window. {Yes I am talking about Anna P, the high level vamp that was in the beetle cave. Surely the beetles aren't a source of blood for you.) What is the point of that? running out of higher level parties to decimate, that your "slumming it"? I have been in a large (7-9PC) group that was nearly wiped out by Anna, With a 8th level druid. And said Druid was one of the lower levels of that group.

Why do I bring it up here?, it is part of the problem of MPC/vs Death from other PC interaction.  Another thing,
Sinful_Wishes " Some clarifications:
When I logged in, I was not left alone long enough to admit me the ability to log out without cheesing an escape. I had actually logged out for dinner earlier, and logged back in to find myself in the middle of PCs, which I had to react accordingly. I tried to leave after this first group, but the doors were locked and I was stuck, while checking, I ran into more players and thus everything else unfolded.

MPCs do not teleport out of dungeons upon being logged out.

Again, I have absolutely no care about dying. This issue at hand is people switching characters, or forcing themselves into a situation because they just want to end someone elses character without worrying about story, but rather, winning and being the hero. The only reason the MPC -did- come back, was because someone took the time to roleplay doing it.

You could have stopped everything after the first encounter ended, with a simple // Um guys I need some RL time, as I just finished a rather long encounter. Perfectly acceptable. You could have lied and said //logging to use the bathroom., or //logging for the night. or //waiting for Dm assistance. Also would have stopped any unfortunate outcome.
MPC, may not teleport out, but they do end up back in the ooc room with everyone else at a reset. You chose to continue, You know perfectly well that many players here have other characters. You also knew that you were in the most farmed dungeon on the server, and that not all "level ranged" for that dungeon were 1, or 2 areas away. You chose to accept that when you went down there, when you left the safety of the Von Zeklos crypt. (yes the assassin imp was mine) you knew exactly where you were going as you followed my toon all the way back to the outskirts. Even after it was clear that my PC was not going to stay and chat with you. My apologes if you think I am being unfair, however, I think its rather silly to whine about having your monster killed in a undead dungeon frequented by undead killing PCs. Whether they brought in higher powered toons or not. Not everyone here plays the same way you do, nor do they immerse themselves in the Rp totaly. Some of us enjoy it for being a game that you get to kill stuff in, that you can grow in power, and that you can just have fun too.

Firstly:
MPC, may not teleport out, but they do end up back in the ooc room with everyone else at a reset
At which I get the option of spawning at my Faction Base, Safe Location, or Last Stored.
Faction Base: Vistani Camp (Which forces me to walk through the outskirts, yay.)
Safe Stored: Wights don't get to rest in inns.
Last Location: This is the only option I'd have, and guess what; It'd teleport me back into the dungeon I'm stuck in.

Turning these posts into a personal attack isn't the intention Strife had. I don't have any hard feelings and I haven't whined at all. I was in tells with a few people participating and I was very content with what happened. It was Strife who witnessed the behavior and is addressing it. It was the actions of another player to the reason I'm still alive.

But you do bring up a valid point and I think you misunderstand what I was doing and my intentions. My character is based out of Terg, but there is no reason for me to stay in the dungeon when its cleared, so to be courteous to players, I leave allowing the dungeon to populate. I decided to move locations to Zeklos for the evening, at which I found your character who was sadly disinterested in roleplaying, so you left. That dungeon being cleared, I had to move somewhere else, at which I decided to venture to the Morninglord Crypts. The door was unlocked so I snuck inside. I had a scene with a small handful of players over the short while, and then logged for dinner. I came back, to find two players from earlier there, at which I interacted with them and chased them off. I lingered about for 10-15 minutes and checked my escape, to find it locked. As I moved back towards the stairs, I'm fairly certain it was one of your other characters (a paladin, I think) and someone elses wizard. You walked off without any RP, and the other person made a comment about how you ignored me, thus 'let himself' get caught for the sake of RP. I roleplayed him him and someone who came downstairs for a short while, which eventually you were logged into your wizard about this time, thank you for showing me how much you like to interact with MPCs with invisible fireballs. You wandered back upstairs when I turned around, I continued roleplaying with the people that enjoyed it, and soon enough a third person comes down to roleplay and things are getting pretty interesting and fun for the people involved.

Five minutes later ten people who didn't take part in any of the prior interaction come downstairs and I'm dead.

/End Story.

I agree with you. Its my fault I died, but I'm not going to lie to avoid consequences and just log out. I'm happy and content with what happened. In three days I've received eighteen tells from players complimenting me on how there isn't enough MPCs, it was a very entertaining scene, or  its very nice to see a 'villain' for a change. That's at least eighteen people I entertained, and that's what matters to me and makes my time worthwhile.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:52:04 PM by Sinful_Wishes »
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
MPC's and AMPC's aren't out to ruin your good fun, they are there to add to the atmosphere, just as is the responsibility of every player, to contribute for a group story. PC's do not ussually end up dead, when players of both types of MPC's are created it isn't with the frustration of characters in mind and yes, when we press @locate to see where players are, want to know what we get?

-34 Vallaki
-2 Port a Lucine
-3 Mist Camp

Thats it. I'll show screenshots to how you, we are not bullies, there is absolutely no need to see antagonists as OOC bad guys trying to trounce on your good times, and remember we are also players just like you.

Juice, Seriously, calm down, this is the second posting area you've flamed two players for merely having an opinion which counteracts your own, if you wish to argue; do so in a constructive manner, we are not all your enemies just because our opinions differ, we could go back to the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", I will change it slightly to fit the situation "If you can't say something nice or constructive don't say anything at all.

This thread is about people hopping on alternate accounts just as Strife wanted, and we all seem to agree (Save one or two possible candidates) that this is not O.K to do, and that it destroys the setting many of us work so hard to build to make a fun story telling experience

"You could have stopped everything after the first encounter ended, with a simple // Um guys I need some RL time, as I just finished a rather long encounter. Perfectly acceptable. You could have lied and said //logging to use the bathroom., or //logging for the night. or //waiting for Dm assistance. Also would have stopped any unfortunate outcome.
[/quote]MistJumper"
Also, why are you complaining about his character still? He loved the story he created and is acting mature and reasonable, stop attacking somebody who doesn't deserve to be attacked for being a mature MPC player that is accepting the unfair closure of his character via alt-jumping, he is accepting of the fact that even though he lost his character, he didn't even post the thread about it, a DM had to, if anything he outshined this entire situation like a true gentleman not only did he not lie proving his purity of character OOCly he even handled everything in a reasonable manner and is responding to any pretensions you have about MPC's to prove they are not true. I applaud him for his maturity, and his willingness to sacrifice for the betterment of the story.

Alternate accounts should not have been switched to, it's breaking a major story element, OOC information corrupting IC information, and it is like poison, it can ruin stories. This cannot happen again and there is no justification for it, Ever. No matter the location of the Ghoul, Vampire or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:34:06 PM by BalorVale »

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
Many of you may know me, many likely not as I've been a bit tied up with real life to dedicate much time to the server recently, however this evening while taking some time to enjoy the server and those in the community (as a player) I was involved with an AMPC under the moringlord's church. All was well, with me and another player roleplaying the interaction when without warning, a group of about seven players descended, ignored most if not all role play and ran off in search of said player.

Now, before you judge me I've been here since beta open, I've played and DM'd extensively. I've been involved with DM plots, I've run DM plots and I've seen fantastic roleplay on both sides, however what I witnessed tonight was irritating. I personally witnessed players change ALTS (for lake of a better description) in order to partake in the killing of an AMPC. Before you plead ignorance take a minute, I know exactly what players switched and I have screenshots of the logging and player list.

Not only would I consider this "metagaming" it is wrong on many levels, the players that apply for AMPC's work very hard to create a vision, implement it and roleplay it for YOUR enjoyment. Lets be honest with ourselves, everyone knows AMPC's don't have a long life span, including those that run them. They don't do it for their own personal gains, but for the love of the server and those that frequent PoTM.

I find it rather apprehensive, that certain members of our community would sink to such low levels as to switch to another PC (likely on the tell from another player, and shame on you too!) to partake in a event that you are not privy to IC nor gave any reason other than OOC to join, simply to end a story for you own pleasure.

I think, a few of you need to take a moment and consider your actions IG. Remember,there is another person on the other end and more often than not they are trying their best to have fun too.

I will go out on a limb and warn those that find this behaviour acceptable, it is not in my book and I doubt there are many DM's that would disagree.

DM Strife

To what strife was sayin, i was there when the AMPC first showed up to me and the other character. The other character, when the ampc showed up.. did not even RP with AMPC.. they just walked away. Then ten minutes later the other character returns with an army of high levels.  :nonono:

MistJumper

• Outlander
  • the weremink!
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
my intention was not to attack,
My apologies to sinful_wishes.

However I must point out, I do not believe anyone logged in with an alt to kill the monster, and even if it was done, it wasn't an entire group of players that did that. As i stated in my original post, There was long real time Rp about a monster in the crypts. There was talk someone needed to be rescued, and that it would take a group effort. There were many PCs coming into the church that joined in the RP, and later the trip down.

One of my characters went down with them. She was blocked, along with a few others by the Everards black tentacles in one of the corridors. By the time she got down, the monster was dead, and there were only 3-4 others there with the corpse.

there are a few points I believe could have helped smooth this, but they are tweaks to the rules, so would require CC, and DM approval. However it seems no one wants to talk about those, rather they want to keep the immersion alive so strongly that OOC fun gets ignored. I believe that strife, felt ooc'ly that this was not fun, since he posted first about this.

So here is my suggestion again, maybe this will get talked about this time.

First, make it so a monster character is never truly destroyed until the player of that monster, and a DM (who should be present for the destruction) agree that Role play has been done to satisfy the destruction of the monster. this isn't a stretch from the current system, nor does it put unfairness to the players of regular PCs. It only ensures that the MPC player is happy with how the story ends, as they have the most interest in how it ends. Since the process of getting a MPC takes so long, and the requesting player gets scrutinized, seems only fair that they get to have the ending be one they agree to.

Second. time to adjust the MPCs choices for log in after a reset, as well as give them the same "port out after a time" that the rest of the players enjoy. perhaps give MPCs a token that allows them to port to their safe place. Once per rest or whatever. If the player is trusted enough to be a MPC, they should be trusted enough not to abuse the system that lets them escape, or keeps them being a bonus to the game.

Third, and probably the most important, that stupid door on the second level of the crypts needs to have its lock broken permanently. As many times as PCs have gone down and taken a crowbar to it, it should be beyond repair at this point, and forever unlocked.

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »
I have what I feel is a question which is condusive to discussion;

Could metagaming/alt-swapping be considered reasonable if used to stimulate RP?

For Example;

Howly the Hungry, Werewolf Terror of Barovia, is known to be out lurking the forest of Vallaki, when Squeaky the Cowardly Hin comes running out of the forest and telling everyone in the Outskirts what he saw. Now ICly, this is heard by Skulky the Skulk, who decides that this could be a good roleplay opportunity, and switches to his alternative character - Grizzled John the Stereotypical Werewolf Hunter.

But rather than tracking down the Werewolf to murder it, despite being a higher levelled Alt, the player of John wishes to engage in a night-time game of Cat & Mouse in the woods, where it's not clear who is hunter & who is hunted, leading to a hopefully enjoyable exchange between the two players.

I'd say this is a good example of how alt-swapping and a smattering of metagaming could be condusive, but I'd like to know the community viewpoint on this.
A most troublesome Fox.

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »
my intention was not to attack,
My apologies to sinful_wishes.

However I must point out, I do not believe anyone logged in with an alt to kill the monster, and even if it was done, it wasn't an entire group of players that did that. As i stated in my original post, There was long real time Rp about a monster in the crypts. There was talk someone needed to be rescued, and that it would take a group effort. There were many PCs coming into the church that joined in the RP, and later the trip down.

One of my characters went down with them. She was blocked, along with a few others by the Everards black tentacles in one of the corridors. By the time she got down, the monster was dead, and there were only 3-4 others there with the corpse.

there are a few points I believe could have helped smooth this, but they are tweaks to the rules, so would require CC, and DM approval. However it seems no one wants to talk about those, rather they want to keep the immersion alive so strongly that OOC fun gets ignored. I believe that strife, felt ooc'ly that this was not fun, since he posted first about this.

So here is my suggestion again, maybe this will get talked about this time.

First, make it so a monster character is never truly destroyed until the player of that monster, and a DM (who should be present for the destruction) agree that Role play has been done to satisfy the destruction of the monster. this isn't a stretch from the current system, nor does it put unfairness to the players of regular PCs. It only ensures that the MPC player is happy with how the story ends, as they have the most interest in how it ends. Since the process of getting a MPC takes so long, and the requesting player gets scrutinized, seems only fair that they get to have the ending be one they agree to.

Second. time to adjust the MPCs choices for log in after a reset, as well as give them the same "port out after a time" that the rest of the players enjoy. perhaps give MPCs a token that allows them to port to their safe place. Once per rest or whatever. If the player is trusted enough to be a MPC, they should be trusted enough not to abuse the system that lets them escape, or keeps them being a bonus to the game.

Third, and probably the most important, that stupid door on the second level of the crypts needs to have its lock broken permanently. As many times as PCs have gone down and taken a crowbar to it, it should be beyond repair at this point, and forever unlocked.

Or locked forever.

I know that would garner some attention.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

For Example;

Howly the Hungry, Werewolf Terror of Barovia, is known to be out lurking the forest of Vallaki, when Squeaky the Cowardly Hin comes running out of the forest and telling everyone in the Outskirts what he saw. Now ICly, this is heard by Skulky the Skulk, who decides that this could be a good roleplay opportunity, and switches to his alternative character - Grizzled John the Stereotypical Werewolf Hunter.

But rather than tracking down the Werewolf to murder it, despite being a higher levelled Alt, the player of John wishes to engage in a night-time game of Cat & Mouse in the woods, where it's not clear who is hunter & who is hunted, leading to a hopefully enjoyable exchange between the two players.

I'd say this is a good example of how alt-swapping and a smattering of metagaming could be condusive, but I'd like to know the community viewpoint on this.

No. It is still metagaming and cheesing, whatever the reason is, there are rules against crossplaying(aka alt jumping) and metagaming. Not to mention if i recall well, it is again against the rules, that to interact with the same character in such a short time with two different characters.

It would be just as bad, like you bring in a corpse on char A, and logg to char B, who is a morninglordian priest and raise the body, so you can have RP with him/her.

Also according to this logic, you could just logg on your sneaker go to a dungeon explore it, nice it is on good spawn...
Then you logg over to your other char gather a group and clear it while performing quality rp.

These three examples are all the same basicly, and they may all further RP, however, they are all based on OOC knowledge, and are all exploting this knowledge, even though the purpose is hopefully rp, but during these rp session you may gain items/info/lore you would not have gained if you would have not exploited the OOC knowledge.

It can help to enhance the rp, however the additional benefits you gain, are gained, only because you have exploited OOC knowledge. And this part is cheesing.

To be back with your example, if you can roleplay out a cat and mouse game as a hunter, then you can just as well play it out you being the prey.

(also how can you decide well, if folks will start to defend themselves that it was only to further the rp? Damn hard to be objective in the matter especially, since it
can only be decided by DM-s, and currently they cannot monitor the whole playerbase all the time.
Such alt jumping was allways only acceptable if a DM instructed to do so, aka asking for certain player, or faction member to logg on his or her character. And it should be
left it like that.)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

For Example;

No. It is still metagaming and cheesing, whatever the reason is, there are rules against crossplaying(aka alt jumping) and metagaming. Not to mention if i recall well, it is again against the rules, that to interact with the same character in such a short time with two different characters.

It would be just as bad, like you bring in a corpse on char A, and logg to char B, who is a morninglordian priest and raise the body, so you can have RP with him/her.

Also according to this logic, you could just logg on your sneaker go to a dungeon explore it, nice it is on good spawn...
Then you logg over to your other char gather a group and clear it while performing quality rp.

These three examples are all the same basicly, and they may all further RP, however, they are all based on OOC knowledge, and are all exploting this knowledge, even though the purpose is hopefully rp, but during these rp session you may gain items/info/lore you would not have gained if you would have not exploited the OOC knowledge.

It can help to enhance the rp, however the additional benefits you gain, are gained, only because you have exploited OOC knowledge. And this part is cheesing.

To be back with your example, if you can roleplay out a cat and mouse game as a hunter, then you can just as well play it out you being the prey.

(also how can you decide well, if folks will start to defend themselves that it was only to further the rp? Damn hard to be objective in the matter especially, since it
can only be decided by DM-s, and currently they cannot monitor the whole playerbase all the time.
Such alt jumping was allways only acceptable if a DM instructed to do so, aka asking for certain player, or faction member to logg on his or her character. And it should be
left it like that.)

Eh, if all alt switching due to OOC information is cheesing, what about someone asking if your other character would up to some RP/dungeoning/whatever? I don't see that as bad form, since it's towards the enjoyment of all the parties included and does little to alter the experience of others. I often switch characters according to what other characters I see online, and I can not see it as bad in any manner since the only goal is more fun and enjoyable time for everyone. It's whole another thing when you switch to mule/beat up MPC/et cetera.

PsychedelicShroom

• Undead Slayer
  • Crazy...
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
We could implement a one character rule, pick your favorite one and stick with it...

No, actually, we couldn't because it is not fun. Neither is metagaming and cheesing.

Be mature and play responsibly.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
I Believe there is nothing wrong with switching character, if you realize there is little you can do with the character you are currently logged in or you see the opportunity of roleplay with another of your characters you are free to switch.

The problem is when you are doing it  on purpose  of taking advantage of a certain situation "invading" with a metagame act the roleplay scene of another character, this kind of switching character should be clearly avoided.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Honestly the rp was a bit dull with the whole thing, granted, sud tried talking to it, which worked out poorly given the doom knight and all. But, when it came down to following, once the wright was found people charged in and it was more or less an all or nothing.  I'm not even sure where the gobs of people came from, there was only a small group in the church when some one came up and fretted about the undead creature, and two on the first level, then all of a sudden there was an army. . .they were certainly not in the church at the time the one person came up and was panicking about the horrible creature, and unless they had some telepathic bond some how, I doubt they would have known that anything was actually wrong with in the church, since the bell was never rung.  I think there was a good opportunity for rp there, but it kinda got ruined and went sourly down hill fast.

I think the problem of late is that there is a great deal of ooc knowledge being passed about, and that is meta gaming, and maybe people don't realize that they are doing it. Though I am certain that some do, and they do it purposely, whether for self gratification, or just to be an (explicit), it seems to be growing more and more common. I'm of the mind that if you're level 13+ you shouldn't even be near the outskirts unless you're selling something, because by that point your char should have had some horrible experiences with the dark evil creatures of the night, and would rather just warn the young and foolish, as opposed to putting their life on the line for a bunch of strangers. Of course, I also think that some of the old monsters should come back too, maybe strike some real horror into those who are high level and hanging about thinking they're all that and a bag of chips who like to slice first and ask later. I think Yves would be an excellent addition to just, oh, adding some more ambiance.

Of course, this is based on the idea that pd isn't really the case any more, and I kinda figure its not since I've seen chars which were perma dead, and now they're or have been walking about as if nothing happened, or that they even got more powerful as a result of being utterly killed and destroyed. I wont mention any of the names of the chars, but you're well aware of who they are.  Heck, my werewolf ended up getting pd due to a faction glitch, which is fixed now, but still.  I didn't particularly whine about it until i got her back, but if there's ever an in game way and some one manages to do it, I guarantee she would go back to terrorizing poor helpless people wandering around at night.

I can understand the idea of swapping to an alt for rp, its great, but if its a high level alt in an area most certainly designed for low levels then there is little point. The horrible monster is there for a reason, to instill fear, to instill horror, to make low levels think twice about boldly adventuring into places where the living certainly are not welcome. Of course, this is just my ramble and opinion.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
[reads the entire thread, get stunned into silence]  :|

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
I never jump alts.  There have been many times where I encountered an mpc or situation and wished I was on my other character because it would just be "better", but that's the way it goes.  I also never pvp an ampc because my two main characters are too high, so I keep it to role play.  If I do attack, it's for effect because the IC interaction called for it, to drive off the wicked ampc, but I don't go in for the slaughter.  And I always try to play it so it doesn't lead to a fight and maintains the dignity of the ampc.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
However I must point out, I do not believe anyone logged in with an alt to kill the monster

Unfortunately the gm who was watching does believe this. Now he can't see all the Tells so he's only got his perception of the event to go on and that's the issue that's being discussed here.

However ......

that is certainly one way to look at it.
the popular crypts, that everyone goes into

:lol:

My what a bunch of moody crypt haunting ghouls the player characters are on this server. Surely you'd think they'd find more lively pursuits such as a nice walk in the woods, picnic by the lakeshore or any number of other less sepulchral surroundings.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:15:18 PM by Nemien Callishan »

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
However I must point out, I do not believe anyone logged in with an alt to kill the monster

Unfortunately the gm who was watching does believe this. Now he can't see all the Tells so he's only got his perception of the event to go on and that's the issue that's being discussed here.

However ......

that is certainly one way to look at it.
the popular crypts, that everyone goes into

:lol:

My what a bunch of moody crypt haunting ghouls the player characters are on this server. Surely you'd think they'd find more lively pursuits such as a nice walk in the woods, picnic by the lakeshore or any number of other less sepulchral surroundings.  :)

Gothic. Horror.

That means.. Crazy. PC's. In one way or another.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
man i could say so much, but rather than fan the flames to some ridiculous responses, im going to drive by on this one

Xarnata

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 05:11:16 AM »
This is a sad look into the Outskirts RP that has evolved. Honestly, any character looking to kill an MPC who takes the time and effort to write the application; and develop the character for the sake of bragging rights should be ashamed. This may sound harsh, but we are trying to tell a group story, with depth, take your missile storms and kill skeletons, Role Play with MPC's they work hard and spend alot of time in solitude to enrich the setting that exists, if you want to slay them, work something out. This kind of behavior disgustes me to absolutely no end. Not only is this Trust breaking on the part of the MPC but what story was created? None.

When an AMPC retreats, you know they have a shelf-life, they will die within the month, they aren't there to destroy your play time; They are approved because the DM's trust them to add to the setting; I make it my personal policy and I will freely tell you, I will NEVER corpse a person as an AMPC/MPC not ever. Because RP finds a way to die when players get angry, Imagine if the MPC logged on his alternate account with three of his friends and ganked every person who killed his MPC? No. That doesn't happen, so it shouldn't happen the other way around.

I am whole-heartedly dissapointed in the lack of story-building displayed here. And it really shows how far some will go to win.

If I'd like to go back to a bunch of PvP hungry "Winners" I'd go play world of warcraft, in fact I reccomend it to all who participate in this same 'winning' mentality. Have fun with your lack of community written story. Please, don't corrupt the story for those of us who wish to see the gothic horror shine.

Continue with your "Lol my spleens" in the outskirts, or joking about peeing on a tree as a druid. Just please, take it somewhere else, This is PoTM the RP Elite. We are the best at what we do, Ravenloft as a setting deserves more respect then to be demoted to a chat room with a setting.

I challenge every single person to instead of clicking on the red figure; think about the player behind that screen, the story THEY want, how you can make THIER time better, empathise, a Good villain is Antagonistic IC and friendly OOC talk to them, most likely you will get a reasonable person whom shares your views that their character needs to die. A man/woman who charges into the fray without knowing even a single bit about their opponent just because they are red? Is not there to tell a story. Once more I shall challenge, that each one of you will take this event; learn from it, and make a story. Promise yourselves and the community you are not here to win; but to create a story.

These are my two cents; Two cents I happen to be very passionate about.

Balorvale.

+1

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

DM Panic

• Long Break
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
:arrow: Lynch Mob RP. . . aren't fun for anyone.

I respectfully disagree.  One of the most fun scenes I've had was the NCW when I first joined, and a lynch mob formed to tear an NPC to pieces who was accused of lycanthropy.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
*Faceplant* That's just wrong....
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Zhernebog

• Undead Master
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »
Noticed that as if by magic when that werebear logs in, somehow a whole ton of people show up without even a sliver of an ic idea of why they've decided to arbitrarily hunt through every cave they can find.
Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 02:39:43 AM »
Noticed that as if by magic when that werebear logs in, somehow a whole ton of people show up without even a sliver of an ic idea of why they've decided to arbitrarily hunt through every cave they can find.
Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

As that were-bear. Yes. It was a little annoying, but I'm closured now, I laugh at you that still look in the caves! [Sips tea-cup.] [Steps off Horse-Drawn Carriage Laughing]