Author Topic: Dumas Rilfore - The Tale of a Mercenary  (Read 12803 times)

Dumas

• Dark Power
Dumas Rilfore - The Tale of a Mercenary
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
He remembered the arrows most of all. Plucked goose feathers once again taking flight as arrow fletchings, their brilliant white feathers now thirsting for crimson blood. That suffocating cloud of arrows, their volleys either death or disfigurement....

They had stood on the muddy banks of the River Yonne... 8,000 French and Scotsmen against 4,000 English and Burgundians, brought to this place near the little village of Cravant. It was warm that morning, humid, typical for so late in July. Dumas had stood in the ranks of the crossbowmen that day, but the bow had felt like a lead weight in his hands. He was damned tired. They had been marching for days beforehand to come to this place, and by now, his garments were tattered and torn. The metal links of his chainmail were beginning to rust, but they were hidden beneath the white and black livery of the Duchy of Brittany, carefully stowed away in his pack until the day of battle. The badge on his shoulder, three yellow chevrons on a red field proclaimed him as a man of Ambroise de Lore, the Baron of Ivry. It was somewhat strange, he thought... Here he was, fighting in the company of a Norman baron, in the army of a Count of Brittany, under the flag of the King of the French... A king who by all accounts, was slowly going mad. Why was he here? Why was any one of them here in this godforsaken place?

"You're here, my friends, to kick the arses of those bloody English sods all the way back across the Channel!" The Earl of Buchan, the Scottish commander shouted from the back of his horse which skirted about nervously by the steep river bank. He raised his waraxe in the air, and with his other hand he crammed a helmet onto his head, covering his wildly flowing hair. His oddly accented French was strangely amusing, but the troops stationed about Dumas raised their voices in a cheer, and he could not but help join in. The Earl cut an inspirational figure, and had fought many a campaign against the English before.

Old Poulet thumped Dumas on the back. "We'll show 'em this time, lad!" Dumas grinned at the old man, the eldest of the company. He had been a mercenary since Hourches, over forty years ago... A pissy little village near the Spanish border, as the old fellow could never stop telling the younger men of the company about. The French forces had slaughtered the Spanish there, only to be routed at the last moment by flanking charge by a English force of men-at-arms. Poulet had never given up his thirst for vengeance from that defeat. Old Poulet. Old fool.

Despite the zeal of the Franco-Scots forces, the battle didn't begin right away. In fact, the opposing sides stood on the banks of the Yonne for three hours, neither trusting in victory if they crossed the river. The Scottish began to grow impatient, demanding a sudden charge. They outnumbered the English, after all. But The Comte de Vendome, commander of the combined French forces, protested. He feared the English longbowmen... seen what they had done at Agincourt. So the Scots and French settled down to wait, the rising temperature slowly sapping their strength.

Without warning, the English and Burgundian forces suddenly surged forward, right as the French were settling down for their midday meal, lines of longbowmen rushing out ahead of the infantry, bundles of long ash arrows at their sides.  

"Now lads, here's your chance!" The Baron de Lore shoved his way through the lines, to the front of his company. A page hurried after, struggling with the baron's shield. "Those bastards are going to try to cross, but they'll fail! Now, give them hell and cold steel!" The baron's sword rasped out of his scabbard, and he pushed through the crossbowmen to the men-at-arms, posistioning himself in the very front of the line. All throughout the French posistions, commanders rushed forward, taken mostly unawares by the sudden English assault. "Now fire! Fire you bragarts! Give them a volley!"

They tried. But the English had far more archers than they had reckoned. All the French and Scottish marksmen could do was cower under the shields of the men-at-arms. Thousands, upon thousands of those cursed ash arrow fell from the heavens, maiming and killing, indiscriminately. He remembered his crossbow being ripped from his hands, its firing mechanism mangled by and English arrow. And then suddenly, they were upon them. Swords, spears, warhammers... They smashed into the French front, splintering shields aside, piercing armor with vicious strikes. They fought like devils, the bloody English Goddamns... They were pushed back up the muddy slope, loosing ground.

Rushing foreword, he drew his rapier, jabbing over the shield of Old Parlout. A slam of a hammer wrenched it aside, and a spear took the old man in the side of the face. Down in an instant, no time even for Dumas to notice the jet of blood before he was desperately parrying the spear's second thrust aside. A great hack, and a sliver of wood went flying, but the rapier's blade held fast in the shattered remains of the shaft. The snarling English face, cursing at him, grabbing at him with his free hand. Dumas's booted foot flew out, kicked hard at the man's groin. He tumbled, was covered up by the shields of his comrades. Hold the line, hold the line!

Jostled and pushed about by his own side as much as the enemy, Dumas found himself shoulder to shoulder with the Baron de Lore. The Baron grinned at him, his face bloody, his helm long ago discarded. De Lore hacked at a Burgundian swordsman who came too close, bloodied fingers flying through the air. He screamed wildly as he slashed, then shouted to Dumas. "Told you to loose that bloody play sword! You need something to savage them! Savage them!" The Baron cried out again, and plunged into the enemy ranks, his heavy broadsword battering down his foes, as much as slicing them apart. Dumas breathed heavily, trying to follow, darting in with quick thrusts of the slim rapier, looking for his chance. But the press of enemy troops was too great... he felt himself being pushed back, no room to maneveuer. He gave ground, falling back between the others of his company. The sword was no use in a brawl like this... why the hell did he insist on carrying it around? He had claimed it off of an English noble during Agincourt, some fopish fool that had charged out too far away from the English that day. Now he would die like that fool, unable to hack his way through this melee. His vanity would get him killed.

Somewhere to his right, the Scots were fighting hard, trying to protect a narrow bridge over the river... He spotted the Earl again, swinging that great axe wildly from his horse... Suddenly, a thrown javelin slammed against his breastplate, tossing him from the saddle... A rush in the Scottish ranks, trying to protect him from the English that surrounded his horse... But the English screamed back in defiance, and the Burgudians ran up in support, their swordsmen cutting their way through, eager to win the bridge... The roar of combat was as if a monster from the depths of hell had escaped its prison, and was now screaming its way across the river... The Scots lost the bridge.. The army was now divided.

Cavalry began to pound through the river, sending dirty cascades of water about, the pouding thunder of the hooves reverberating in Dumas's ears. The French ranks began to fall back... A trickle at first, the Count of Brittany shouting, "Stand, Stand!"

It was to no avail... It had started, and soon the trickle became a rush. The Englishmen began to hack their way through, the archers dashed forward, the cavalry struggled through the dense waters... The French broke, left the bewildered Scotsmen to be cut down by the hundreds.

He ran. His company had been slaughtered, he saw the Baron, cursing madly, pulled away from the fight by his attendants, an arrow through his arm... He would not be captured by these English bastards, nor their Burgundian dogs! Never!

He recalled the mad dash to the woods on the banks of the Loire, the sun falling quickly... Reach the woods... Hide, rest, think... A smattering of soldiers ran with him, too many... They attracted the attention of the English cavalry... The horsemen rode them down, spears thirsting for blood... He remembered the horse behind him, could feel the hot breath on his neck. One chance, and he knew it.... He spun, the rapier hot in his hands, the blade swinging wildly at the horses head... He missed. The horse and rider slammed into him, the butt of the man's spear smacking into his head. Stunned, he fell to the grass....

There was the clatter of blades ahead, some of the others sensing the end and trying to stand and fight... Somehow, in the chaos, he went unnoticed, perhaps thought to be dead... Crawling through the tall grass, stumbling, keep low, keep low... He scrambled for the tree line. Suddenly a misjudged step sent him tumbling over a ravine... Falling, tossed about by rocks and roots... Another searing pain in his head. Blackness.

When he opened his eyes, it was night. The dull light of the moon shown through the thick branches above... He was cold, freezing... His clothes soaking wet and torn... Move... Just move... Every bone ached, the strain was too much. A heavy mist began to swirl on the edges of his vision. His eyes closed again.

Hours passed, or was it merely minutes? He remembered waking to shouting, English voices... Or were they? He could hardly hear. All he knew was fear, desperation. His head swirling, he somehow gathered the strength to rise. A thick mist obscured his vision... Crawling forwards a few feet, the wet ground suddenly gave, and he fell again, this time not into the solidness of earth, but the icy terror of water... A pounding in his ears, choking for breath.... Then darkness again.

This time, when he awoke, his head felt strangely numb. Almost a comforting feeling. Was this dying? No, no, not yet. Not now...

Opening his eyes, the world slid into focus... A black, crisp night greeted him. The cool sensation of a sandy river bank between his fingers.... The sudden hoot of an owl, causing his muscles to tense... Memories of the past few hours a haze in his head. He remembered rolling over onto his back, and looking up at the stars... Odd. They looked... Different. Something was different about them. For hours he lay there, listening to the sounds of nature about him. The wind blowing through the grass, the gentle trickle of the river, some small animals scurrying about the underbrush. The mists felt refreshing on his face....

He pulled himself to the river, cupping his hands in the icy water, drinking deeply, willing himself back to life. As he knelt on the bank, a distant rhythmic sound reached his ears... Drums? Yes, it was certainly drums... And... Flutes... An oddly melancholy tune. Rubbing his eyes, he peered into the night, scanning the trees.  On the edge of his perception, there was a slight orange glow.... A fire.

Looking about, he steadied himself and rose to his feet. With no better course of action, he began to walk slowly forward, into the trees, through the mist, following the sounds and the light. There was a clearing ahead, voices... Strange accents. He moved through the undergrowth, inexplicably drawn towards clearing... He emerged from the treeline, a bewildered look on his face.

"Welcome to Barovia, Outsider."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:02:36 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
Re: Dumas Rilfore - The Tale of Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:23:37 AM »
[Written in a small leatherbound book, in a curious mix of French and early English in tight scrawl...]

I woke up in a cold sweat tonight... a rather frequent occurrence for these past few days... ever since that journey up to Krofburg.... it's usually the same dream... Cravant. That damned awful place. Agincourt was almost as bloody, but for some reason I dream of that less... maybe it's just because we felt so invincible that day? Living of of the glory of Bauge the year before... trounced the English then... revenge for that hail of arrows and the mud of Agincourt.... I don't know... Maybe my mind is trying to tell me something... a warning, that danger is near? Seeing... those bones... Xarnata's tattered red hat in that desolate place... seemed to bring everything into perspective... I don't really remember what happened after that... just the Fox... that bloody Valkan with me in the church... I suppose he rescued me. I suppose I should be thankful. But what exactly occurred? I don't think I could ever know. Not sure if anyone knows the entire story. Perhaps it's better just to forget some thing... Like Elise... Poor Elise.

I'm not sure why I suddenly feel the need to collect my thoughts like this. It's not something I've ever felt the urge to do until now. I think I may just have a fear that I will be forgotten one day. Standing on that cliff up in the mountains... I felt so insignificant. Is that a reasonable fear? Do people worry about that, or do most folk just go through their lives with no thought to what the future thinks of them? It's just... if something happens to me... I want someone to know. It's a good thing that monk in Calais tought me my letters. I thought it was bloody useless at the time, but its come in handy on occassion. Same with Ambroise... suppose I should feel greatful that such a lord though I had the knack with writing. But I keep fearing I'm mixing up both the French and the English... Eh, I suppose it's good enough? Not sure if anyone can teach me any better now, unless I want to learn that ugly Barovian speak...

When I first arrived in this... place, I thought I had gone insane. Was I stricken on the head after Carvant? Did something come loose in my mind? I had seen things that had only been stories to me until then... Werewolves, giant spiders, wizards... vampires... But I saw others just as lost as I. Thank God I'm not alone. I'm still not sure where exactly I am.... but I've grown used to it, after all of these months. Thankfully, I've meet others who seem to be from the same land as I. Running into Finn was a godsend. Someone whom I could relate to, someone who wasn't used to all of this... magic and such. I've never been to Ireland, but I knew of it. We had a few Irish lads back in the day in the Company. Good sorts, tough fighters, always ready for a brawl. Loved fighting the English. Loved fighting in general, even if it was for the English... it was good to find a familiar face.

I felt better about my position after joining Finn's crew. He trusts me, and I him. Maybe it's just because we're from the same place, more or less. Or because we can both sense someone else that has a level head. The rest of the crew, Xarnata, Firitae... I like them. The first honest and true people I've met here. I don't know why I'm so quick to trust them all, but I would gladly stand beside any of them in the direst of circumstances. Being part of such a band... well, it reminds me of the old days... moving about Normandy and Brittany with the Company... we'd always look out for each other. We were all that we had. Feels kind of the same now.

But I'm worried. There's this dull ache in my head. As if something is slowly crushing me. I feel as if just by the sheer fact that we've been doing 'alright', the crew, that is... that we have attracted some strange power that is trying to bring us down. I mean that in the general sense. It seems when someone has the slightest success here, someone wants to steal it. I felt that Valkan was attempting that, but now I'm not so sure... he views us as amusing? I don't know... not worth the effort to wipe out? Possible allies? Maybe I should be like that.... always look for a way for someone to help my position...

But now... now there are other problems. That damned "Lord" Valdon... he's bloody insane, I'm sure of it now. He blathers about random things at the strangest times... and there's that strange look he gives... as if he wants to kill you, when the fancy strikes him. And the way that he casually pulled that, "bandit" head out of that sack and tried to give it to that guard as a gift. Makes me bloody uncomfortable. And... if what the rumors said was true... he has something to do with dumping Xarnata in Krofburg... He'll get what's coming to him, once I can organize it.... no one treats my friends like that.

On top of that, there's the Rebels... I thought it was a good idea at the time, doing work for them. Profitable, very profitable... but... after Finn managed to capture that ship and the load of powder... I'm not so sure if this is the best arrangement.... that bomb in the Marketplace... so many civilians died that day.... and I feel like that rests on my mind too much... Firi and X... and others have all voiced their displeasure against the arrangement... and now... I think I'm starting to agree. Sure, I support Freedom. I don't want to see anyone under the yoke of such a draconian government... but, isn't there a time when you take it too far? During the War, we always tried to avoid killing innocents if we could help it. We were hired to fight soldiers, warriors, nobles... others mercenaries. Not farmers and merchants... Maybe it was that guilt that made me tell that Rebel under the Lady's Rest about the Brawler... I was so quick to speak to him. Why? True, for a moment, I was terrified. The way he vanished in that conjured darkness, and appeared behind me... only seen one other do that before... a Vampire. I. Hate. Those. Fiends. After that time one of them confronted me by the docks.... I've almost been paralyzed by fear each time one is near. I just felt that he already knew everything... might as well try to gain some grace by telling him so immediately. But of course, it wasn't how I thought. Maybe we was a vampire too, but we was certainly a Rebel. It was almost... as if someone was speaking through my lips.. not my own self... And I think I just failed an important test. Maybe it's for the best. X and Firi would say so. I don't know about Finn. I loathe to tell him. Perhaps I can fix things before I have to? I don't know. I just don't want to disappoint him. I'm his right hand... and I feel as if I royally screwed up.... though... it must be for the best, right? Who knows what they could ask us to do next. Burn down half the city? I couldn't do that.

Though... he did say, and I remember this distinctly as he left... "we shall meet again"

God, this is more than I've written for months. It feels good to put ink to paper. I will write again soon.

[the entry ends on that note]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:10:41 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
[the writing of this entry is written in a shaky hand, ink smeared across the parchment in several places]

Why does it seem as if every time I return from the Village, something bloody awful happens?

I wanted to shoot him. I really did. That cruel, monster of a man... the sheer insanity, of carrying around a severed leg? And the way he babbled on about... being my champion, presenting me with a trophy? Egad! I have no idea what goes through his head... Ever since he pulled that bandit head so casually out of the sack a few days before, and discussed his... state of mind with Xarnata and Valkan, I had been deeply wary of him. But this, this was too far.

Perhaps pulling my flintlock on him was a bad idea. I don't know. Made sense at the time. If Xarnata wasn't whispering into my ear, I probably would have pulled the trigger... then again, that equally strange... for lack of a better term, vassal of Valdon's, was standing off to the side, and if I did shoot, I imagine that fiend would have been on me in moments. And there's always a chance the pistol wouldn't have been able to blast through the monster's plate... I'm sure he knew what the weapon I was pointing at him was, those milling about seemed to, and quickly backed away. But... I saw no fear in that man's eyes... is he even a man?

I tried to talk him down and walk away, mar his reputation before the crowd. I don't know if it worked. Couldn't they see him for what he really was? How could anyone buy such a story.... a retransformed werewolf leg? Even... even if somehow such a thing was true... why the bloody hell would one carry it around? Like... like a badge of honor? He terrifies me.

I remember we had someone like him while we were campaigning around Fresnay... this Scottish brute, a giant of a man, who fought with a savage looking falchion... he would collect the heads of those he killed during battle, gather them up before the dust settled and place them in front of his company's campsite... the men were terrified of him, even the commanders were too fightened to say a word against the gruesome practice. Thank god he took an arrow to the eye during a raid...

I loathe to run into Valdon again. I feel as if it is inevitable. That's what pulling that trigger meant. He will stalk me now, I'm sure of it. A dark night in the woods.... no one around... my god! I should have acted sooner.

I believe I'll fall back to the shadows for a while... see what he does. Make plans with my friends... I need Finn's opinion on this... I feel like he would know what to do. Xarnata has some sort of plan... but I shudder to think of the cost. Perhaps it would be worth asking the Fox? I'm not sure what I'll do.

[the entry ends with a large, scribbled out section, the ink looking frantically smeared and scribbled]

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
The Mists swirled in over the fields, a moist haze that blotted out the winter stars. Dumas walked alone, tired and worn out. His boots were splattered with mud, his cloak torn and frayed, his leather hauberk damp and cold. His feet squelched through the wet soil, and he grimaced in irritation at the feeling. He'd have blisters next morning, he was sure. A small line of cottages loomed out of the darkness ahead of him, nestled along the shore of a small lake, its waters appearing still and black. He knew this place, didn't he?

Ivry... In Brittany... yes, he remebered. That familiar sign, the wooden boards painted white, a black crow crudely burned into the planks, contrasting starkly in the dim light... Yes, it was the old haunt, the Crow... he longed for a warm meal and a tall ale, to sit with his friends, his comrades, to laugh and talk and drown his troubles...

But there was something in the air, some awful gnawing feeling, that reached out of the aether and grabbed at his stomach... something was not right. Through the closed shutters, he could see the lights of the fire, hear laughter and glass clinking inside, but something was amiss... His feet seemed to automatically pull him further down the lane, away from the tavern... Past the storehouse, past the stables, past the barn... he felt his pace quicken, his boots sending up small cascades of muddy water as he splashed through puddles left by a recent rain.

The feeling of unease grew with each frenzied step. He felt himself draw his sword, the rapier rasping from the sheath, almost refusing to come out. The blade seemed rusted, dull...

The house appeared out of the Mists, its stone walls covered in creeping ivy and moss, signs of ill maintenance. Forgotten. The thatch looked moldy and sunken in, weeds strewn about the yard. Something terrible had happened to his lass... he could feel it. He sensed it with every fiber of his body. Grabbing for the splintered wooden gate, he threw it back, and sprinted across the small yard, the mud threatening to suck him down. He scrambled for the door, reached for the latch... but it was already opened. A cold sweat breaking out on his forehead, he thrust open the door, sword at the ready, his face looking wild, his thoughts racing.

But the house was empty.

There was nothing. Barren stone walls. An earthen floor. The fireplace deserted. There was nothing. Dumas stood, dumbfounded. He had so expected to... see her. Elise...

He turned around, wanting to leave... but he suddenly jumped as his eyes saw the doorway. As if appearing out of thin air, a large armored man stood at the threshold. The dim night obscured any tunic or emblems on the dark platemail, and the heavy helm obscured any sight of a face... but gleaming eyes peered down at him from the darkened eyeslits... The man's very presence seemed to suck what little light the stars gave off right out of the very air.

Dumas drew his sword forward to defend himself... but the blade seemed to rot before his eyes, the rust expanding dramatically.... until half the blade simply fell off to land with a dull thud on the floor.

The armored man laughed at the sight. As the eyes stared at Dumas's misfortune, a deep, powerful, and familiar voice boomed out at him. "She's gone, you know. They're all gone."

Dumas gripped the jagged remains of his rapier, the life seeming to drain out of him as he listened, his face pale. The armored figure turns slightly, and motioned behind, out towards the yard. Dumas's gaze followed, dread creeping up on him. A small cluster of shadowed figures stood in the yard, their hands seeming to be tied and bound, their mouths gagged with cloth... He recognized them... his crew...

Finn stood defiantly, despite the ropes and the gag in his mouth. He stared at Dumas, his eyes boring into him, almost accusingly. Firiate, at his side, looked at him desperately, pleadingly, a look of fear in her eyes. A flash of red caught his eye.. Xarnata. The man gazed at him, his expression sorrowful. His pale, and for some reason, unbound hands slowly reached up to his face, placing on a mask... a skull now staring back at Dumas. And there, sprawled at their feet, cruel arrows protruding out of their bodies... Yes, Agaran, and Daks... their bloodied faces stared up at Dumas, their expressions confused, as if begging, "Why?"

The armored voice continued. "You see? They'll try... but they'll be helpless. To restrained, too weak... can't lift a finger, in the end."

The voice seemed to be mocking him now, a tone of amusement creeping in as it finished the sentence. "You see now, don't you?"

Suddenly, the armored man raised his hand, and quickly plunged it downwards. At his signal, a group of shadowy figures with drawn longbows emerged from the Mists... There was that familiar hiss as the bowstrings quivered, and the gleaming arrows rushed forward, plunging into the bodies of his standing friends. They fell to the ground with strangled cries, twitching. Blood poured out of the wounds, a crimson pool soaking into the grass.

Dumas screamed in rage, and rushed forward, tackling the armored figure down to the ground. Sputtering with anger, he furiously stabbed at the armored man with his stump of a sword. It hardly dented the armor, and the remainder of the blade fell apart in his hands. He threw the hilt at the man's helm, and then began to hit the man with his fists, pounding on the platemail. His hands became bruised and wet with his own blood. The armored man's laughter rang in his ears, maniacal, insane, amused. Dumas, his expression deranged, grabbed for the man's helm, ripping it off to reveal.... nothing...

There was no face... There was no head... no body, no person at all. A suit of empty plate.... his vision swirling, he looked around, and saw that he was alone.... The village had vanished, and there was nothing but the amour, laying in the wet grass... he was alone...

There was no face... There was no head... no body, no person at all. A suit of empty plate.... his vision swirling, he looked around, and saw that he was alone.... The village had vanished, and there was nothing but the amour, laying in the wet grass... he was alone...

Dumas suddenly awoke with a shout, the dim candle on the table illuminating his room at the Broken Bell.... It was.... just a dream...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:18:12 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
I'm not even sure where to begin.... At the beginning, eh? So much has occurred over these last weeks, I can hardly keep track of it all... Sometimes I feel as if my memory is slipping, at others, it's as sharp and clear as a crystal dagger....

The nightmares had been getting worse. Nearly every night I had been having terrible dreams... Morbid mixings of life before the Mists, during the wars... And my life now. Generally, they follow a theme... Anonymous, dark, hooded figures, stalking me from the shadows with their longbows and wicked arrows.... The armored man, hunting me through the woods... And the few folk that I could honestly call friends in this accursed land.... Slaughtered by countless, changing evils... Each time, I feel something in me snap... The rage, the anger, too uncontrollable... I fly out in a manic frenzy, like a wild animal... It's a horrible feeling. I'm always helpless to stop the bloodshed. I feel so alone.

It leads to sleepless nights... I've been trying to stay awake at all hours... With the hope that when I finally do pass out from exhaustion, I'll simply be to spent for my mind to waste energy on dreaming... But it seems of no use. Drinking myself into a stupor and passing out sometimes makes it better... But I can't just spend my days in a constant hangover, can I? I need every ounce of strength to survive...

I felt desperate. Who could I turn to? A priest of sorts that I met in the Outskirts spoke to me at some length. Said that the nightmares were divine retribution, striking my soul... Punishment for crimes past. Initially, I wanted to laugh at the idea... Yet... Perhaps there is some truth behind it? Could this be a curse of sorts? Vengeance? Maybe it could be for that awful night... The one after those thugs attacked and imprisoned me, near the Village... Those bastards... Some big fellow with a Borcan accent, a thin man who didn't speak, dressed in blue, and a dwarf with a broadsword... Mugged me, then tied me up in this moist cave off in the woods...

I don't know what the hell they were thinking... Did they want to ransom me? They didn't even know who I was... They let their guard down though, and I manged to free myself. I beat the dwarf to a bloody pulp with my bare hands in a few moments of blind fury. I've never torn through someone like that before, with my bare hands...  grabbing for the dwarf's fallen broadsword, I then ran the big lout through with his pals own blade, letting him bleed out on a cold, moss-covered boulder. His face... seemed confused as he looked up at me... what did he expect?

I remember the blood quickly flowing away, swept off by the chilling waters of that underground stream... The man in blue had wandered off, deeper into the cave, exploring orsomething... only a matter of time before he noticed the blood flowing past him. But I didn't have the stomach to face him. I could have sworn he was a magic user... I escaped into the night, fleeing to the Village... Had to abandon most of my belongings and coin though...

I had been starving, bloody, bruised... I just acted. She could afford it, couldn't she? I feel ashamed... [there is an incoherent scribble here] No, I'm bloody not. I did what I must. I wasn't going to die in that dungheap of a town. That coin I robbed off of her. It kept me alive. And who knows... She could have been a criminal herself. I didn't do it to harm her. I did it to keep myself alive. I needed it more...

Maybe in an attempt to justify this, I joined up with a group back near Vallaki a few days later... They were going after a bounty notice, some thug, a murder, holed up in a cave near the lake. Simple enough task, eh? I'd be doing the community a service. It never goes down simply... We blundered, badly. Somehow, the group managed to split up, and I was alone, while the knight and the sorceress managed to wander down a supposedly abandoned tunnel... Figures that the knight wouldn't be able to sense an ambush under all of that iron... The bandits got the drop on them, knocked the knight senseless. The woman.... Well, the leader grabbed her and put a knife to her throat. I had my crossbow aimed at him, ready to shoot his brains out... But I took too bloody long. He slit her throat...

I don't know if I can forgive myself for that. I knew they were like fresh little lambs... I should have done everything I could to stick with them... God damn it all....

The nightmares... are coming true. I hate this place. [the ink is splattered here, angrily]

I'll write more when I can.

[The entry ends]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:50:03 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
[another entry]

Well now... let's see if I can start to catch things up some more to the present day...

I met a interesting man shortly after this encounter with the bandits... a scholar of sorts... We had a chat at the bar in the Broken Bell. His name was Gerard, or something like that. Anyways, I must have looked pretty out of it, because he questioned the dark rings about my eyes, said I looked like hell. Maybe it was his accent... reminded me a bit of home... but I found myself describing my problem with the nightmares... he suggested a few things... particulary, a little known bookshop in the Port that would perhaps have a tome with arcane and divine solutions to my problem. He seemed quite sure I could find something to help myself. Giving me a quickly sketched map, he described the hidden passages I needed to take in the sewers to reach it. Honestly, it seemed worth the trip. I had tried to speak to a few priests around here about a cure... but most seemed so helpless, and the others, well... say stuff like that and they may want to throw you in the asylum. And I've seen folk that have escaped or been released from those walls.... they are never quite the same.

It was for that reason, and several others, that I decided I needed some time away in Dementlieu... It had been some time since I had made a smuggling run, the Garda was getting more militant than usual, and rumor had it that Xarnata had run off there, in search of his lass. And... I didn't really care to run into Valdon any time soon...

...yes, it was supposed to be so simple. Things have a funny way of never turning out how you plan though...

[the entry ends]

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:24:16 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
[another entry]

It's so bloody hard trying to get everything down on paper.... but once again, I'll try to catch things up... this all happened during my trip to Dementlieu... which was... what, a week ago now? So bear with me... who ever reads this one day...

It started the second night I was in the Port. At first I had just milled about, getting my bearings again. It had been so long since I had walked theses streets! Heard the banter of the dockworkers, the cries of seagulls, the crashing of the waves. It felt fresh, and welcoming. I booked a room for the night at the Noble's Retreat. A hell of a lot nicer room and board than I've been used to. I spent the night dinning out, had a few drinks at the local cafes... the wine was excellent, better than I remembered. Not like that swill that they have in Barovia.

The next morning I spent looking for my old contacts... L'ami, as I call him, still operated out of the Sailor. I hawked a few pieces of Barovian artwork I had acquired to him, and proceeded to see if he had any leads to any new firelock dealers. I took down a few names, locations... a promising start. The gritty work came next. Getting reacquainted with the streets. As the sun sunk down over the sea, I made my way over the cobblestones of the Quarter Merchand... aye, they were just as savage as before. As chance would have it, a dark shape huddled on the street caught my eye... I knew this woman, didn't I? Yes... Zosia. It looked like one of the thugs had bashed her head in... Luckily, she had one of those orbs of mist on her person... I used it to bring her back... she seemed surprised to see me, but not ungrateful for the assistance. Seeing on how we had mutual acquaintances, I asked her if she could help me locate Xarnata... L'ami had said he had seen him about, the trademark red hat of his hard to miss... the two of us made our way through the streets for a time, outwitting the various brutes wandering the night. We ran into a brash fellow that she knew, a cleric of sorts. Decimus, I think he was called. Disturbing man... not fully right in the head I'd say.

Anyways, we managed to find X... and, unsurprisingly, he was sprawled across the floor of a warehouse, bruised and battered. A mugging. The cleric managed to restore him, though, not without a lot of disturbing comments. I can't say it was the most pleasant of reunions, but it was as start.

Apparently Xarnata was tracking down that woman of his... was going to give her an ultimatum. I fully agreed with that. You can't have 'em playing games with your head. That'll drive you insane more fully than these damned Mists can...

Zosia apologized for Decimus's odd behavior, and thanked me once again before the two of them left, saying that she felt as if she still owed me. Perhaps.  I would have liked to think she would have done the same for me. Finn seamed to trust her fully, and if he did, that's more than good enough for me. She seems like a smart lass, resourceful, despite what happened to her on the streets. I think an oppertunity to work with her would be quite profitable. We'll see what happens...

I stayed and chatted with Xarnata for a bit more, wanting to know what exactly he had been up to. But.... he told me something... unsettling. That, he had acquired the taste for... flesh? He quickly added that he meant that from the already deceased, as if that made it much better... anyways, as he typical does, he vanished into thin air after that statement... always up to his tricks. I never know if I should believe him when he spouts out such things. He's always such a jester, but at the same time, I sense something much darker to his person... But all of these... secrets and half-explained terrible deeds... learning only a quarter of the story filled in only makes me anxious. Why can't he ever just tell me what's going on!?

If... he is eating other people, dead or otherwise... I... I don't know. I can't let this place drag him down into the darkness. He's better than that. Some foul arcane forces must be at work on him... right???
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:45:30 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
[the way the ink dried indicates that this entry was written over several different stages... and the later half is written with a rather shaky hand]

It was a good purchase... ten flintlocks, several bags of powder, and hundreds of pistol balls. And at such a steal! That should have tipped me off. But something about the Port always screws with my senses.... perhaps it's because everyone there reminds me of folk back before the Mists, I don't know. More likely it's because she was a woman, and I'll do pretty much anything for a woman who asks sweetly.

I had concluded my business at the hidden bookstore... found several tomes that looked like they could help me with my nightmare problem. And... an interesting one I thought I'd like to share with Xarnata. They... also had the most expensive book I'd ever seen for sale... something about becoming a lich. I made a mental note to remember were it was shelved. Could be useful information for someone, one day...

Anyways, a sharp whistle had caught my attention from one of the side alleys. Keeping a hand on my sword, I slowly stalked towards the source... a slim woman, cloaked in deep blue stepped out of the shadows.

"I hear you're looking for pistols..." The voice was soft, somewhat mischievous. I had caught a glimpse of a starkly pale face from under the depths of her hood, a few strands of long chestnut colored hair falling over her brow.

She was dressed simply, her leather armor tailored for quick movement. A curved blade hung at her side, her sword belt worn with use.

"Perhaps I am."

She lowered her hood and grinned at me. "Thought so. Well, I've got an offer you'd be a fool to refuse." She had spoken in the common Trade tongue, but her accent... was English, if I hadn't been mistaken?

She opened her cloak, pulling out a large rosewood box, its deep red satin finish speaking of great expense. She popped open its golden clasp.... within its green velvet interior, were two silver dueling pistols, with all of their tools and equipment. They were works of art, fit for nobility, yet deadly too. I could tell simply by looking at them that they were balanced to perfection.

"Yours, for 800 solars each. And I've got four more like them. And four lesser pistols. Not to mention ten bags of powder and hundreds of rounds..." Long lashed eyes looked up at me, those pale pink lips curving into a smile. "Come inside my... shop, and I'll let you can test fire them, aye?"

A stupid decision.

I grinned back at her, following her lithe figure into the abandoned warehouse. The moment I crossed the threshold, a plank of timber swung out at me from the darkness. I narrowly managed to avoid it, the piece of heavy oak thudding against the wall instead with extreme force. I lashed out with a fist instinctively, and made contact with someone's throat. There was a choking gurgle, and the figure slumped to the floor. The moonlight reviled a tall man, dressed in the typical garb of a Port street thug.

The English woman cursed out. "Bloody idiot! Haren, Bernardo! Kill him now!"

Two more shapes rushed out of the darkness, stepping out from behind storage crates.

I had mere seconds to react. Luckily, I had my own pistol loaded and ready. I quickly pulled the trigger, and the shot cracked out, the muzzle flash lighting up the dusty warehouse with its flame. There was a cry, and one of the shapes fell to the floor with a crash, knocking over several baskets and boxes. I drew my rapier, and slashed out at the second man. His blade met my own. Sparks flew. We struggled with each other for several moment, each trying to gain an advantage.

Thinking I had the strength and weight of him, I tried to rush forward, attempting to knock him to the floorboards. Suddenly, the man drew a second blade, and with blinding speed, he managed to slash at me with the long poniard, cutting my arm and tearing through my hauberk... there was as piercing pain between my ribs, but with the momentum of my charge, I plowed into him, knocking him to the floor. My spare hand found his face, and I gouged at his eyes with my fingers. He screamed in pain and rage, but the move bought me time enough to slice his throat with my sword...

Nearly at the same moment, I felt the hiss of air as the English woman's scimitar sliced over my head, taking with it a chunk of my hair with its razor sharp edge.

Snarling, I whipped my own blade up, savagely parrying her second blow.

Somehow I knocked her sword from her hand. She let out a surprised gasp. I...

I had her defenseless.

I could have walked away.

I...

I left the Port the next morning.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:10:38 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
[The entry is rather short, strange for one who is usually writting several pages at a time]

It's... as if I'm two different people... At times, I get so much pleasure from a fight... from stabbing that blade into someone's back... and at others... it disgusts me, scares me, terrifies me...

What is happening to me?

I find myself... walking on the edge of a knife... I feel... as if I could fall either way.

Which was which though?

I feel... as if the fact that I am even asking this question counts for a lot. I am not the darkness that I seek to escape, am I? I wouldn't be asking if I was...

Agaran doesn't trust me anymore. I am only steps away from having him plunge his sword into my gut... I can feel it. But he doesn't know how hard this is! You do what you must to survive! You must! I'm already involved deeply, and no matter how.. troubling I find this business.... if I try to escape now... they won't let me. They'll end me, if I do...

So many different threads, and I'm tearing them all apart, I feel....

It was sickening, the other evening... finding Tatiana in that state... how could a man so brutally hurt a woman? That's an idiotic question... I've seen it done so many times before... but why does it hurt me so much to have seen her in that state? I don't know. Because she had shown me kindness? Because she reminds me of someone I knew... before the Mists? I'm not sure... but I just made an agreement that may end the trouble she's gotten into... let's hope those Drain-folk are true to their word. I will be to mine, if they succeed in the task I gave them....

It's people like that... like than man that beat her, that I so dearly wish to put in their places. A brutal, swift use of force... sometimes I think that is all that can work. These Barovians.... most of them.... are simply worthless, I feel. They live in a pit of corruption, and savagery... it's almost bred in them... So few I've met seem to be decent, honorable folk. So very rare. Most... are just fit for the gutter...

I feel...

As if only one other really understood that... I.. by god, I can't believe I'm writing this... but I think... I think Valdon may have had a bit of a point.

Would I have said this a month ago? No. Absolutely not. But... my time in Dementlieu... and events that have happened since my return to Barovia... they.. have made me see things differently. I shudder to put to ink the events that I have recently gone through. I'm not sure If I can bare to write them. I.. will try, at some point. I wish... I could speak to others about what has happened... but those that I trusted completely... where are they??? What has happened to them??? Finn, Firi, and Xarnata... it's as if they vanished from this bloody realm of Mists... I've seen them nowhere, and nor has any heard from them. They would be ones that I could tell... they could give me advice.. tell me if I'm going insane... Perhaps... Zosia. Yes... I feel as if I may be able to trust her.... tell her... what has happened to me over these past few weeks. Maybe she could have good advice. I so rarely see her though, she sticks to the shadows as much as I... perhaps, Tat? I'm not sure... I don't know if I want to drag her into my mess... She has enough trouble...

I don't know what to do.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:41:42 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
[a brief entry, the first in several weeks]

Sometimes, when the evening sun has just set and the night feels brisk and cool... almost, I daresay magically in its freshness and lucidity, I feel like I there is nothing that can hold me back. I just feel as if I could run along the Svalich road forever... But the feeling is fleeting, and then the nightmares return. I see... him. The dark form of his amour, glinting grimly in the moonlight... the helm slips back, and I see his eyes, leering at me. I know now that he killed him. And, possibly, the others... even if he didn't, he wished to.

I want a cold dagger to slip between his rips. Slowly... but by his own hand. I want him to be driven to it. To think he has nothing left to live for. I want to rip his "title", his name, his reputation from him. I want the world to know him for what he is. And I want him to see that he is wrong, that he is crazed, that he has been claimed by insanity. I want him to know.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:03:15 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
[another brief entry]

The nightmares become real. I met the again Beast this day. He had changed, changed greatly... what dark powers have twisted his soul even more? Yet... at the same time, their was a new hint of level-headness that was not there before...

I had a chance to end it again. So close! But, it was not as I had planned. Too quick, too quick by far... at the last moment, the realization hit me, and I moved the pistol a fraction of an inch, away from the heart...

But would it have mattered anyways? The wound healed so quickly.. and he hardly staggered. What has he become?

Perhaps... there are things to learn from him, before I make the fatal stroke... Yes, a great many things to learn...

He is planning something. He wants powder. A great deal. I will supply him with it, and the arms as well... For I think our minds may have crossed paths somewhat... He always knew these Barovians to be the filth that they are... what would things be like it I realized that all those many months ago? I do not know.

I don't know how things will turn out. But I have choices ahead of me... so many choices...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:29:28 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:09 PM »
Gnawing at my spirit, hunting down my soul... That's what this cursed land is trying to do. Each moment if rest only brief enough to cause my exhaustion to multiply tenfold when it ends too quickly. How can I find possibly find solace? How?

Recent events have occurred which I must put to paper. There was a smuggling job. A big job. The client, a man in the Drain. Well, I took him for a man. Who knows what he was. Accent sounded strange... If I was home, I would say he sounded as if he was from the Far East, past the Crusader lands... I swear he might have had a forked tongue. Despite any misgivings though, he was willing to pay heavily. I could not pass it up. Two dozen bags of gunpowder. Said he had a score to settle with a Borcan trade consortium. Not my business to press further, but it seems the Borcan destroyed his life years ago... Shamed him, publicly humiliated him, caused him to be imprisoned for years... Stole his wife. I don't know why he was so eager to tell me the details. Not my business.

I had to hire some temporary help to assist me in bringing it in over the border. Two dozen bags was far too much for me to handle by myself, even with these fantastically enchanted bags of holding I acquired. I think I scared the sods straight though. Seems very unlikely they'd report me. All the same, I hate working without my crew. What the bloody hell happened to Xavier? Could have used him. And that Brand fellow. Seems I misjudged him. I've lost all track of him. They're both probably dead. Best start finding folk I can trust again...

The delivery went soundly. We got the two dozen bags intact to Barovia, bribed the customs officials and evaded a roaming patrol.   We reached the forest glade where the deal was to occur, near the Vallaki farmlands. The forked tongue man was there, with his own wagon and helpers. We made the exchange.

And...

Minutes later, all hell broke loose.

Would you believe it? The Borcan my client sought, well, he was an active fellow. Apparently, he and his men were tracking fork tongue on their own. This clandestine smuggling meeting gave the Borcan the perfect opportunity to strike against him outside the city. The were brutal. Fast. Bloody good at their work. I and my lads held back, waiting. It would have been folly to try to intervene. I have a measure of loyalty to my clients, but when said clients are dumb enough to not make sure they were tracked... They deserved it.

I had words with the Borcan after the dust settled. We both spoke about how we bore each other no ill will. In fact, we both respect each other. He's heard of me, and might have work for me in the future. That's fine by me. I understand business. The fellow even let me help myself to fork tongues belongings. Said he wanted nothing to do with him anymore. Tainted, he said. Not sure what he meant by that, but I claimed a rather special looking cloak... When I wear it... I feel.. More protected, safer... It's strange.

I also got to keep the two dozen powder bags. Now that's the real prize. You could destroy a fort with those... A wonderful profit. I deposited them at the warehouse, after a heavy bribe to one of the workers there, of course. I've built up quite a stock..

You'd think I'd be happy though, right? I should be. I have enough coin to be comfortable for months now. Yet.. I can't help but feel that once I get lucky, fate has a way of striking me back down. This accursed country. It's as if there is some... Vengeful power, holding us all back... I don't know.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:32:08 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
Any other job had come my way, an information job. I'll admit, I had my reservations. I know this man is dangerous, powerful. I have heard a great deal about him from the shadows. This bloody one... Small of stature, yet deadly.. He has a great many eyes watching him quietly, wishing an end to his soul... Does he deserve it? I don't know. I have only crossed him briefly before, and nothing ill came from it...

We met in the aftermath of that strange blood circle... After that, thing, had vanished. He seemed to take a great interest in it. apparently, he understood something I could not. a window? a map? A map to what? Perhaps he will explain in time.

The Fox knew him... I could tell they were sharing whispered words. If Valkan, one of the most cautious men I know seems to trust him to some level, it would seem reasonable to conclude that I may as well.

He wishes to meet with the Gundarakite Rebels. I was paid a thousand fang to arrange the introduction. I bloody well hope I can pull it off... It has been sometime since I've last seen them... Our last meeting could have gone better. Yet, that rebel in the Lady's Rest said we would meet again...

To smooth over any suspicions that may remain, I've been hinting to certain ears in the Drain, such as Hoth the bartender and Crawler, that I am looking to speak to the Rebels. And in return, I would donate ten pistols and ten bags I powder, along with ammunition to their cause... Hopefully, they will reach me soon... Time will tell.

I was able to help him with one item immediately. He desired a rare elixir... The ichor of an Alhoon. He was not excited to receive it. I wonder what he needs it for? Hopefully, I will be able to find out... This man... He may have things to show me that no one else knows of... Secrets within secrets.

I do find it grimly amusing though.. There are others, on the surface who have been seeking this man for quite sometime now... How they would wish to be in my boots! What I learn may become priceless indeed!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:51:53 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
I'm being watched.

Even here, in this windowless room in the Broken Bell, I feel as if I am being watched. I shall get no sleep this eve. Might as well write... perhaps collecting my thoughts will make me feel better.

Last night, while I was walking alone in the Nobles District, a woman suddenly appeared at my side out of thin air. And I'm positive it was thin air. I know what to look and listen for when someone quaffs an elixir of invisibility or has an enchantment cast upon them. Listen for footsteps, watch for disturbed puddles of water, movement in grass and mud... Animals reacting to scents... But there was none of that. It must have been some sort of teleportation magic, or... Something more powerful.

I had never seen her before. She was elegant, almost elf-like. Pale blonde hair, an exquisite dress, crafted of the softest silk. She spoke briefly, then vanished as abruptly as she appeared, without a trace. "You should never trust a Borcan."

By god, it left me shaken... How did this woman.. did she... I have no idea! I must think, think, think...

No chance in hell of sleep tonight.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:51:11 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
[the entry is in a shaken hand, and is covered in droplets of sweat]

My god... what a time to fall ill. Things were going well, at least, I believe they were... So many individuals, alligned in a cause. Certainly, I didn't trust all there... But their were powerful enough men present to be sure that there would be no trouble. The small one, and his "Lordship".. not many would cross them, I feel.

I don't know what came over me, but I suddenly felt as if I had to retch out all of my innards. The worst pain I've ever felt in my stomach... As I write this, I am huddled in a dark corner of the Drain, sweating as if I was in the hottest of deserts, trembling as if I was freezing on the tallest of peaks...

I fear what this may be... posion, perhaps? Who would do such a thing? When was my last meal? At the Broken Bell? Could the food have just been spoiled? I wouldn't be surprised. Oh god, let this sickness pass!

I wonder how things will turn out with the others... will they even be alive when I am well enough to leave this dank corner?

Time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:24:33 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »
[there is a rough sketch drawn above this entry, of a man wandering down a stormy mountain, its slopes covered in snow. The man's clothing is tattered and torn, his boots covered in mud. A weary and troubled expression is across his face. It is drawn with a dark tone, obviously, Dumas was greatly troubled by something as he drew it]

It's amazing what one shared drink can do for your mood. That was a welcome respite... I wonder, does Sabel know how much that hour of conversation did to save me from an awful mistake? I'm not sure... but I am greatful for it. Sometimes all you need is a few kind words to give you a shove in the right direction...

[after the entry, there is another sketch, this one drawn in finer detail, of a small park between the buildings of a city. There is a smattering of greenleafed trees, and a stone statue of a man with a harp. Nestled below one of the trees, comfortably sitting between a cluster of thick roots, is a man in fancy clothes, a book open across his lap. The man tweaks at a mustache as he reads, a faint smile crossing his lips]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:41:26 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
Sometimes you are pulled in so far... you forget that you had friends.

All of the secret meetings, the charades.... you loose sight of those that cared about you. The ones that would stand up for you, the ones that would fight for you. It's... refreshing to enter that world again.

Revenge clouds my thoughts so often these days. I was considering doing almost anything to make him pay for what he did, go to any lengths. Even if it meant seeking out those who's minds are cold and twisted... those who have gained unfathomable power through despicable acts and rituals. I need gain thatpower required to vanquish him... I... I will have it. If I have to learn the dark ways to do so.... if I must... dwell with the monsters, I shall. I will be as them. I shall stand with them, I shall... assist them... But I can't loose my mind. I can't loose...

There are still limits that I can not cross. I will never cross. Never. No matter how deep into the shadows this work takes me. I deal with devils. I do my work well. They have rewarded me just as well. And I am grateful. But I must not become one. My work.. this smuggling. A means, just a means! It can't be the end. I must not let it consume me. Don't loose sight of the goal. I can't! I can't!! But I like- [there are several sribbled words here, which are unreadible]

I met Agaran again this day. How can a man remain so unchanged by this place, so unflinching? Never tempted by the cursed forces at work here. Perhaps I give him too much credit. I don't know what horrors lurk in his mind, what evils he has seen. Each man deals with his own devils. But it seem like he fights against them better than most. Why has he given me so many chances? I respect him greatly. And not only for his martial prowess. But how great that is though! He recounted a tale of one of the battles he faced. He fought against dozens of those fell creations.. Bone Golems. I've seen those massive creatures fell a man in a single blow... yet he... he resisted an entire horde at one, was able to shrug off multiple blows... I would almost not believe it, if I didn't know how true he always kept to his word. Not only that... but he had proof... he had collected several of their skulls. What trophies those are... Gruesome, but only the greatest of warriors could claim such things... I could never be like him.

The conversation we had... I decided to finally reveal some thins... I know I made the right choice.

The question I find imprinted in my mind... Who can aid me best in this bloody land?

This will not be a mistake...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:52:58 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
[a single line, the ink pressed firmly into the paper]

I have decided.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
This is the second time in as many days that I have suddenly fallen ill with a terrible, soul wrenching pain in my stomach. It starts with a dull ache in my lower abdomen, then a sheen of sweat breaks out on my brow, despite however cold it may be. Then a stabbing feeling, like a twisting knife, and the uncontrollable urge to retch. Afterwards, I feel weak, like a shadow of my former self, unable to even rise to my feet for several hours.

It... It must be poison, I am sure of it! Poison! Someone has been poisoning me, trying to kill me, or at least disable me... I'm sure of it!!!

But who!? Who, who?! And... How??? I think it may be wise to start preparing all my meals myself, for at least a while...

I can not let them strike again! It is always at the worst if times! As if they know...

Must... Must find some way to resist it... Some sort of protection, antidote...

Who is doing this!?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:34:46 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »
Something snapped in me that day. The lies, the half-truths... they had finally caught up with me. When you finally decide to come clean after a life time of lies... hardly anyone will believe you... I shouldn't have been surprised.

But damn it all, I had put my very life on the line, telling him these things! If they didn't happen to be truth... bah, it didn't matter! It was true when I witnessed it! How was I supposed to know the location had changed? I told what I knew, and it was the truth when I told it.

If I had just been honest from the beginning...

Instead, I lost control completely. Pushed out into the rain with Agaran, I just couldn't take it anymore. Standing across the tall grass behind the inn, his hand ready to draw his blade. A a blasted stranger, some Dementlieuse woman I think, milling about, nosy, watching, always someone getting into private business...

I could see it in his eyes, he thought me worthless, unredeemable, a coward, a liar... I.. I just couldn't take being thought like that any more! But nothing I said would get through to him. Rage was building up in both of us as the rain continued to pour, and suddenly, I couldn't help it. Moving to kneel in front of him, I screamed at him, nearly incoherent with anger and frustration, and I'll admit, a bit of cowardice. Part of me wanted him to end it. Cut my soul away from this accursed land of Mists.

But he didn't. Of course he didn't. Instead, I was hit harder in the stomach that I could have thought possible, crumpling forward face first into the mud. Fists of steel, that man has...

He stormed away, leaving me gasping in the mud. Some wench of a woman stood above me, I don't know what she said. Something obvious, I'm sure. I snarled in her face once I was able to stand, and stalked off into the woods.

I wandered for at least an hour, blindly, tripping on rocks and roots, slipping across wet leaves. I finally came to a halt next to a small brook I had never seen before. I slumped down onto a boulder, and just sat there, watching it, my thoughts racing. After some time, a small black and white bird, with a crested head began to flutter about the surface of the stream, trying to catch some sort of insect. It kept snapping it's beak, changing direction, chirping with what I took to be frustration. Sometimes it would stop, and sit quietly on a branch, resting. But it would always resume the chase. This went on for minutes, but after at least fifty attempts, the bird finally caught its meal.

I'm not sure why, but that made me feel like I wasn't alone.

It was time to make amends.

Quickly leaving the woods, I returned to the inn. Just the usual assortment of layabouts milling around. However, I caught sight of the heavy boot prints in the mud along the road... Agaran. No mistaking them, under an hour old. And moving quickly... I could almost see the anger seething out of the prints. I followed.

I finally caught up with the warrior in a cave out west of the lake... when I found him... well. He should have been dead. Apparently the brash man had charged into the cave, spoiling for a fight, looking to clear his head, no doubt. But he took a painful blow from a spear or some such thing.... that rent through his chest... he really should have been dead... I... if I had thought to, I could have finished him off with my rapier.

He believed that I would. He was convinced that I would. So it was foretold. He would strike a merchant who cheated him. And then would die that day. Merchant, smuggler... it was close enough. He was fully prepared to have me kill him. I can't believe I allowed the lies to go this far. This man, this noble friend, thought I was a killer. How?! Damn it all...

God.. I don't blame him. He was right to think that. A killer... I very well could be. One who takes joy in it. One who loves the shadows, the back alleys, the hunt, the chase, the blood... I very well could be. I've been on that brink.

Yet... when the midnight hour came... He remained alive.

The conviction fled from his eyes, and he finally seemed to realize that I had been telling him the truth. But.. that's the part that really gets to me. Only when this... Religious prophecy of his people wasn't fulfilled... Only then, did he believe me. My word.. had come to mean nothing to him.

I did this to myself.

It was odd though. Despite the fact that I had no intention of striking him, I think Agaran really believed that I would not be able to kill him anyways... that is, if I was not the one foretold to be the one who ended his life.. this unknown cheating merchant. The warrior seems to believe that he can die in no other way... could such a thing be true? Perhaps, perhaps... with all the blood he lost... he really should have been.

As we walked from the cave together, I made a resolution that night. An oath. I will prove myself. I will take this chance and use it. The shadows... the sense of security that they give me... maybe that is were this all stems from. Or at least part of it. When you live in the dark, use the tools of the shadows, fight with daggers and slim blades... maybe you start to become one with the tools of your trade in some way... Agaran showed me one of his blades, a heavy, simple longsword. It's a direct weapon, nothing secret about it. As honest as a blade can get. Perhaps I should be like that. Perhaps using something that does not hid it's purpose will help me become the man I wish to be. I will have to see if Agaran will be willing to train my in its proper use. I will prove myself. I will.

The point was further drilled into my soul as we left the woods. A dangerous encounter... a pack of werewolves. Alone, I would have perished. Odds were, even together with Agaran, we would both perish. He was still very near the brink of death. Logic, demanded that I run. Save myself. I could get away, undoubtedly. But... Agaran drew his blade, standing firmly at my side. He was prepared, fully, to fight and die along with me. To have a friend that is willing to do that, for a man that has been a proven liar in the past... that means something. I stood my ground alongside him.

We fought them all off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:19:12 PM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
God, how I wanted to pound the face of that bloody Scot in. Smug idiot. Just like nearly every other Scot I've known. If Tatiana had not been there to calm me down, I would have pounded his ugly face in. It was the same at Cravant. I've thought of that battle a lot since the Mists claimed me. If the Scottish troops, our allies at that battle, hadn't been so pig-headed with defending that bridge long after it was clear that the English would certainly break through, we could have made a fighting retreat. The rout could have been prevented, and we could have retreated back to the hills we made camp at the night before.

But no, because of their stubbornness, their eagerness for bloodlust, the French and Scottish forces were separated, and the retreat turned to a rout. If only they had used their heads... if only! I may not be in this land of Mists to begin with! The thought makes me want to rip my hair out!

It would do little good to explain to that pig-headed Scot that I'm only half-English. It's the same story as before... never fully accepted on either side of the Channel. English mother, French father. Confused blood. One of the reasons the mercenary life was the only path. A free company. Men with no allegiance. Only loyalty to their captain. I had fought on all sides of the war... For the English, for the French, for the Normans, for the Burgundians. It started with simply living. This was how you made coin in my world. England and France... the two countries had been at war for as long as anyone I knew could remember. With each other.... and with different folk within their own borders. War, civil war, border raids, piracy... a world of war.

You couldn't make a true living working at a trade. A carpenter? Farmer? Tailor? Lumberjack? Shepherd? No... not in the middle of all these wars. The only chance a man had to really advance himself was by the sword. And mercenary work? Perfectly respectable. No one thought differently. That was life. It's strange really, how so many of those in Barovia look down upon mercenaries. I don't understand it. Were they not a legitimate career in their realms?

Though.. if it is the thoughts of lack of loyalty that they smirk at... it's not entirely true with me.... As the years of being a mercenary went by... My way of thinking did begin to change. When you start to see folk from the same town as you dying at your side during a skirmish... it affects you. Men you grew up with... it. Changes you.

And the English... god, there is not a people that exist that are more smug. I know that is half of my blood, yet... they were always so damn superior. So sure that they were better men than any Frenchman, than any German, than any Scot, Irish, Spaniard, what have you... And in the end... were they not the aggressors? They were raiding France, pillaging, plundering, raping, burning... this was not their land, despite whatever claims through blood their king thought he had. True, the English paid well... but money.. only goes so far.

Blood runs deeper.

Eight years before the Mists took me, I had refused to fight for the English any more. I deserted the English free company I was part of, that of Captain William Bracknell. I'm sure he was furious over that... probably would have taken my own head if he ever tracked me down. But I never saw him again. Two Irish lads, came with me, Michael and Cullum. We left the camp at Caen and struck out south, until we found a roaming band of French cavalry. As sheer luck would have it, it happened to be a troop under the command of Ambroise de Lore, the Baron of Ivry. I had personally captured the Baron once, during a raid. Another extremely fortuitous event. However, unlike custom dictated, I did not ransom him. The Baron explained to me how his family was impoverished as of late... Rent collectors, bad harvests, war... paying his ransom would absolutely destroy them. For some reason, I took pity of him, and let him go. He swore to never forget it. Bracknell was furious when he found out, gave me one of the worst beatings of my life. If a noble was captured by a common man... it was expected that the ransom be divided amongst his company. I suppose I cheated Bracknell out of a fair amount of coin...

But as I said, de Lore swore to never forget the favor. If that troop of cavalry was not commanded by the Baron, we most likely would have been cut down, the three of us... despite me being half-French, and fluent in the language, my accent had always been tinged with English. An inescapable result of living so long amongst them. They would have thought me a spy. Luckily though, de Lore welcomed me with open arms, and instantly made me one of his men, enlisting me in one of his companies. With de Lore's influence and backing, his men welcomed me warmly as well. More so than the English ever did. It... was a interesting change.

It has been some time since I've thought about all of this... Memories from before the Mists...

And it is... good to be back amongst people that welcome my company once again... In fact, I think I'll head over to the Nymph right now. Until next time, journal. Heh.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:28:09 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
This was truly... a disturbing night. I can't really believe that he is going through with it. But he is craftly, and undoubtedly has a plan. Secrets within secrets... He well knows the base instincts of those below, knows what rats they can become if they loose the glue that binds them. So that means that some sort of successor is in line. I will find out in time, I suppose. Hopefully before the others. I must become close with them as soon as possible. This is a way to advance my standing.

It's interesting how he has affected the lives of so many... the small one... said he was like a father to him. It... it was rather touching. In a sorrowful way.

I suppose this is what I wanted?

I will admit.. I will be strangely sad to see him go...(though I still think he has a good chance of walking out of this one)

Order... is very good for business.

Though in the chaos that may result... quick opportunities will present themselves. I must consult with my allies.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:49:33 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »
This new blade... It's beginning to feel comfortable in my hands. No longer does it twist from my grasp, unwieldy. The techniques and training have been immensely valuable. I couldn't ask for a better instructor. I've started putting them to the test now, in full combat. Perhaps it's bravado, but I believe I'm a quick study. The flow of battle... It's something alive... You start to sense it... A feeling akin to guiding a raft down a river. You start to anticipate things. A look in their eye, a twitch of their forearm... These are things I learned a bit of in the past. But now, they help me even more.

At times though, with such a brute of a blade in my hand, all I want to do is hack away my frustration, my anger, my lingering fears. There is a lot of relief in the power of such blows... Sometimes I just want to forget what I've learned... All the fencing lessons, the quick strikes, the back-stabs... But I must keep a clear head. Distance myself from the kills.

Don't let anger blind you, Dumas! Don't!

(The entry ends in frustrated scribblings)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:27:51 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:43 AM »
(This page, and the next several, look like they had gotten quite wet with dirty water, and much of the ink has run, making it a bit of a challenge to read. It has since dried, and the parchment is wrinkled)

Botched it up royally this time.

A stupid descision. I waited too long to strike. But how was I to expect such a terrible coincidence?! They should not have been down there.

Bah. They always see the world in such black and white. Everyone in this bloody place is cloaked... masked. You can't  take hardly anyone at face value, it seems. I wonder why they were so quick to come to that one's aid. Obviously, they had been fed other stories about her. As far as I'm concerned, she deserved every inch of that blade. And more. She's a witch, a freak. Who thirsts after blood like that except the deranged? After what I've seen and heard...

And still...

I just feel like smashing my head through a wall. Bah, I need a drink. Or ten.

Thank god I have a few compatriots with level heads... Such a rare trait.

Thinking about it though, all is not lost. Yes, this could have served a great boon to me. Killing two birds with one stone. Removing a deranged devilish one such as this could only assist the... greater good, if you want to call it that. But it also would have brought me great respect and trust amongst those fellows... Rarely do things align so perfectly... The ill and the good. I find it curious. So maybe it's an action that was neither. Maybe it just... is

If I can write down my thoughts so logically like this... What that strange priest in the woods said the other night can't be true, can it? I'm not loosing my mind... No, of course not. I can control all of these schemes within schemes. Not give into desire... It... Bloody hell, I could have so much... Power, wealth... Respect. Dash it all, there I go. Am I intentionally toying with myself? Was that priest right? God!!!

Don't forget why you are doing this all... Do not forget!

I have purpose.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:48:58 AM by Dumas »

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »
(a frantic entry, the writing rather shaken. Blood is smeared across the bottom corner of the page, and there seems to have been an attempt to wash it away, but the stain remains)

I finished what I was paid to do. Now all that remains... is out of my hands...

I feel...

I feel...

Gods, why do I feel...

(the entry ends with a frustrated stab of ink, the dark liquid having dried in an explosive, messy, blotch)