Author Topic: Windows 7?! Y U No work!?  (Read 3082 times)

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
Windows 7?! Y U No work!?
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »
So I recently got a new machine, running off Windows 7. I've downloaded the game along with all the haks an updaters even tried the critical rebuild and running in compatability mode and admin mode and it still wont start for me. This is what I get when I try to run the game, doesnt even black the screen out, just gives me this:

Anyone have any ideas?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
Re: Windows 7?! Y U No work!?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
Yes.
The trick is you need to find the appropriate compatibility mode to it to run.
If i recall well given time the win 7 actually finds the proper one, but if not, then it is i think compatibility mode: xp with service pack 2 or 3. With this compatibility mode it should run. (I am using win 7 as well, home premium version and works fine.)
Also do not forget you need to manually add it as an exception to your firewall, since it may forget it. (best to check it under your firewall settings, both the built in win 7, and if you have any protection by that one.)

(Also Windows 7 comes in certain packages might be good to know which one you have, also check what version of NWN you have. Oh one more thing might be good to know what kind of videocard you are using, may cause compatiblity issues as well.)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
 You'll want to take your nwnmain.exe from the folder and onto the quick bar of your desktop and launch the game there with compatibility mode set to windows XP, then run game as admin.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/3341490

full solution, if Elfrics does not work.

Actually it seems that this is where they collect all kinds of fixes for different OS -s so might be usefull to make this link be remembered.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:00:16 PM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:

PsychedelicShroom

• Undead Slayer
  • Crazy...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
Just curious... I am running in win 7 and really didnt have any issue getting it to work, but... adding the server url to the target doesnt direct connect me... It just brings up the classic start and I  have to go thru the menus to connect. any fixes for this?
\

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
Just curious... I am running in win 7 and really didnt have any issue getting it to work, but... adding the server url to the target doesnt direct connect me... It just brings up the classic start and I  have to go thru the menus to connect. any fixes for this?
\

Maybe you have a typo?  Try just using the .bat file that soren posted.  I use it in windows seven without issues. (make sure that both it, and the nwn.exe are both set to compatibility though)

The .bat file is in this thread http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.0

Talek

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
try the settings i have...

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
I've been having a lot of issues as well with windows 7. I have found that if you temporarily set your screen resolution to that of the one you use in game there are a lot less issues.  As far as compatibility mode,  well it depends which win 7 you are using. if you are using the 32 bit you should have relatively fewer issues than the 64 bit, since wnw was never designed to be a 64 bit game it can corrupt the 64 bit windows 7 system - I only know this because I had to have my system reinstalled and fixed and then down graded because of it.  Still, is should run on xp service pack 3, and under administrator mode, at least for a time.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
I've been having a lot of issues as well with windows 7. I have found that if you temporarily set your screen resolution to that of the one you use in game there are a lot less issues.  As far as compatibility mode,  well it depends which win 7 you are using. if you are using the 32 bit you should have relatively fewer issues than the 64 bit, since wnw was never designed to be a 64 bit game it can corrupt the 64 bit windows 7 system - I only know this because I had to have my system reinstalled and fixed and then down graded because of it.  Still, is should run on xp service pack 3, and under administrator mode, at least for a time.

I have an AMD, i use win 7 64 home premium, works 95% of the time stable. I have a 6670 ATI card, sometimes a few visual bugs, but nothing serious.
Currently playing:

Ramika

• The Original Mika!
  • Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
I have Windows 7 and all I have to do is run in admin. Outside of occasionally getting teleported behind a wall and some lag in Port, I don't have any issues whatsoever.

Wonder how I got so lucky. lol

Edit: Just to see if my lag improved, I went in and used Talek's settings. So far, so good.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:28:57 PM by Ramika »

Active "Mains":
On Cellimene: Gabriela Dimir/Camelia Niculescu
On Ramika: Kyla Murray
Alt (On Cellimene): Andala

Ladystark

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »
So I have set the settings like talek suggested and yet i still have an issue with the skin colors on character creation and on some of the peoples armour colors. Some people have bags and I cant enter the church in the outskirts. Some people look like they are floating as well. I have win 7 64 bit. with a 2 gig video card and 16 gig ram amd 8 core processor its a high end so i would think I shouldn't have issues. Don't have lag or crashing issues just color schemes and transition.

I even made a character on the solo game and had the same issue. so i don't think its cep or the RL haks has to be win 7

for the love of god help lol

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
My new machine is going to have Windows 7 64 bit.  Is this going to be a problem for running NWN?  I don't want to harm my OS.  Maybe I should stick with my old pc as my dedicated NWN machine then?  A pain of an inconvenience but I'll do that if I have to.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
I just posted about this same problem, getting it to work on windows 7.  After hours of battling with it, the only thing that made a big difference was updating my graphics drivers, then it ran perfectly fine.  Now though the CEP stuff appears all silvery.
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
I'm really mostly concerned with fouling up the OS itself.  For now I will keep my old pc as my dedicated NWN machine.  A bit of a nuisance to swap cables back and forth but shouldn't take more than two minutes a night.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
Kept my old pc as my dedicated NWN machine.  My new one sits beside it on the outside of the desk.  Only takes a minute to swap cables back and forth.  I get the best of both worlds now.  :)

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
Kept my old pc as my dedicated NWN machine.  My new one sits beside it on the outside of the desk.  Only takes a minute to swap cables back and forth.  I get the best of both worlds now.  :)

should try getting one of those dual monitor kebyoard mice doo hickies they make switching easy as flipping a button