You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Dyeing System  (Read 10748 times)

BarleyBeer

Re: New Dyeing System
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
holy shitsnacks, this is amazing

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »
wow that must of took allot of work. would be awesome if its in game for existing characters! i know i would love using it!

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »
I'm guessing it reads a bitmap to produce the output? You didn't do all that by hand?

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
Ahahahaa, that is amazing.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
Well, since the spirits are so high - this is a little fun gimmick I did with the same code I did for the dyeing:

Mind you, this isn't something we'll start use in game - that will cause lag. But fun to toy with.

first off don't be greedy and don't blame me i'm just the delivery guy.

Secondly:
wrong topic nublet that belongs in the art section, now don't make me complain to the CC or forum moderators about you're inproper behaviour of posting.

*ROARS and runs*
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
I do not like this! -.-

I LOVE IT!

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Impressive, we have the best designers ever.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »

Badelaire

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »
I made another mess in my trousers. New trousers plz.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »

Well look at how easy it will be to quickly dye your pants brown now!

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »

Well look at how easy it will be to quickly dye your pants brown now!

...Or cream.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »
Can't help but always think that the topic title is a typo, where someone tried to write "New Dying System".

By the way, it looks nice, indeed.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
The system appears to work fine when only using the "next" buttons.
It seems to start bugging and giving you the wrong colours if you start using "previous", at least I think that might have been the cause, unsure.

Worth looking into? Other than that, the system is brilliant.
Also nice to see dyes not costing a fortune anymore, not that the price has changed much, but paying per colour changed instead of buying 5 uses of which you don't use half is a lot better.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 06:07:18 AM »
I probably will have to make unique conversations for each dummy, but I think it's worth it.

Have any of you experiences oddities with cloaks btw? I experienced some inconsistencies when I tested it locally with how the cloaks shows up on the dummies, but not sure if it happens on the server.

Also, I've considered if we should eventually move toward this system also handling the customizing of the appearance of items too - it would be better in terms of reducing lag and make more sense IC too. But not sure if it would be too inconvenient - some thoughts on that?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
Also, I've considered if we should eventually move toward this system also handling the customizing of the appearance of items too - it would be better in terms of reducing lag and make more sense IC too. But not sure if it would be too inconvenient - some thoughts on that?

Well, with some characters I prefer the current method, since for example the accesoires section.
If your character has a backpack, he or she can easily remove it when entering an indoors area where it isn't needed, free of cost, wherever. A great tool for RP.
Likewise goes for some other examples, like the robes section or even torso. With a few clicks you can swap the robe or torso slot, making it look as if you've put on a coat or just took it off.

On the other hand, I do think it'd be easier (especially visually) if you can see the clothing changes on the dummy, instead of on yourself. Giving you a chance to compare old with new.
And in most other cases it does make more sense IC (although you could choose to RP that aspect out IC with the current system as well, simply visiting a tailor when changing clothes.)

So I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons, is the lagg reduction significant? Or perhaps it would be possibly to introduce both systems in place? (Unless that takes a lot of space on the hosting system or whatever.)

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:03 AM »

Well, with some characters I prefer the current method, since for example the accesoires section.
If your character has a backpack, he or she can easily remove it when entering an indoors area where it isn't needed, free of cost, wherever. A great tool for RP.
Likewise goes for some other examples, like the robes section or even torso. With a few clicks you can swap the robe or torso slot, making it look as if you've put on a coat or just took it off.

On the other hand, I do think it'd be easier (especially visually) if you can see the clothing changes on the dummy, instead of on yourself. Giving you a chance to compare old with new.
And in most other cases it does make more sense IC (although you could choose to RP that aspect out IC with the current system as well, simply visiting a tailor when changing clothes.)

So I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons, is the lagg reduction significant? Or perhaps it would be possibly to introduce both systems in place? (Unless that takes a lot of space on the hosting system or whatever.)

In one server I played quite some time ago, there was a system where you could store separate belt and neck appearances for your clothes. So, you could for example, add in a backpack by typing @mysetupwithbackpack (or whatever) and remove it by @mysetupwithoutbackpack. It had some limitations in how often it can be used to reduce lag. Think it was usable once a turn or so.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
Well, we could keep it so that the accessories remains accessible everywhere. And for pulling over a robe - it is probably more fitting to achieve that by having a basic robe clothing item in your inventory.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
It indeed appears the bugs were related to several people using it at once on different dummies.
At least it appeared to work fine this afternoon with less people online, previous and next buttons both worked fine.

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
Yep. I had no issues this morning when I was working on a new outfit. Next/Previous worked great. There was no lag, and it was just as smooth as a babys bottom :D

This would definitely make a nice little hotspot for the port if they could be permanantly placed in Lauras dress shop.

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Yep. I had no issues this morning when I was working on a new outfit. Next/Previous worked great. There was no lag, and it was just as smooth as a babys bottom :D

This would definitely make a nice little hotspot for the port if they could be permanantly placed in Lauras dress shop.

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more people in the Port, I do hope that it will eventually reach Barovians tailors as well.
(Although perhaps leave out the DM RP that it works through magic and explain it by placing a handmaiden NPC nearby instead or whatever.)

INSTINCT92

• Undead Master
  • Native.
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
It's great for the most part, but I used one and the only option was apply.. and it ate my bard flairs I had spent a stupid amount of coin customiseing...

Could I have some back..?  :cry:

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
Yeah. Looks fantastic but I haven't been able to try it yet. Not making a new character for it, and I can't get to the port D;

Let this find it's way to Vallaki plox :(
A most troublesome Fox.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »

Sure, contact any DM in game.

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
It's great for the most part, but I used one and the only option was apply.. and it ate my bard flairs I had spent a stupid amount of coin customiseing...

I went to test if it was a repeatable bug with my own Bard Flairs. I didn't lose mine, however when I spoke with the mannequin, it only recognized me as wearing a cloak, so my options were Cloak/Apply/Cancel.  So it doesn't seem to be recognizing Bards Flairs as being worn

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"