Author Topic: Non-craft Herbs: Ginseng, Chamomile, Mistletoe, etc.  (Read 1907 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Non-craft Herbs: Ginseng, Chamomile, Mistletoe, etc.
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that these aren't more prominent in the game, because I find that they add a fun bit of flavour. But they're not used, I suspect, because they're hard to find and/or overpriced.

I'd like to suggest that some of these herbs spawn in appropriate locations at herb nodes occaisionally... or possibly have their prices lowered!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
Re: Non-craft Herbs: Ginseng, Chamomile, Mistletoe, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
It's a bit of a shame that these aren't more prominent in the game, because I find that they add a fun bit of flavour. But they're not used, I suspect, because they're hard to find and/or overpriced.

I'd like to suggest that some of these herbs spawn in appropriate locations at herb nodes occaisionally... or possibly have their prices lowered!

Actually the reason they are not used is because a pocket cleric or druid is allways easier to have around.

I have used the wintergreen quite a few times, even shared the ~secret~ where they can be found.
Just since their scroll equivavalent is cheaper, or any cleric/caster can cast most of these spells, there is not a really high demand for them to have, actually there is barely
any demand for them.

(allthough as i see it a true herbalist character carries a few of at least one of these with him:P)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
Yeah I know -- it's why I think they should be made more prominent by increasing their availability and/or lowering the price. They're IC-appropriately flavourful!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:45:32 AM »
I'm sure it's availability and prices. Just look how frequently people RP using garlic, versus anything else.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:33 AM »
I love this idea! I role play Serafim adding mint to her tea or potions to make it taste better! Maybe even have the herbs spawn and make a new craft for purely rp purposes! Like...cooking. Yes, I like this idea.

armybrat69

• Undead Slayer
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive !
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
I agree a cooking crafting would be very neat and i can see some of the foods giving some sort of a small effect depending on what was made. On another server as a gag item we had a carrot juice drink that gave the "see invisibility" effect for a short duration. Not that I think this  one item should be added into the server but I"d love to see some player made foods that could do some neat effects.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -Thomas Paine

"We are all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different levels." -Unknown

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
I don't think cooking needs its own craft, because you can already do brewing if you want consumables with a benefit.

Cooking occupations would be fine.  Have the different inns hire PC's as their cooking staff.

To the OP:
*shrug* The lootable herbs like that, I consider to be extra loot for a dungeon.

For example, the drobita's in the beetle cave are there because they: 1) help new players make it through that dungeon, and 2) they compensate for the loot in that dungeon being mediocre.

You don't want to make lootable non-craft herbs too prevalent or they start to undercut the value of becoming a brewer.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:14:08 PM by LackofCertainty »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
You don't want to make lootable non-craft herbs too prevalent or they start to undercut the value of becoming a brewer.

Potions have one great advantage over herbs: weight and stackability. 10 potions of the same type take up 2 inventory squares and weigh 1lb, whiile ten herbs of the same type will take up five times more space and three times more weight capacity.

Furthermore, many effects either can't be replicated by potions (Chamomile: Sleep, Wintergreen: Remove Curse) or, when they do offer an effect that potions repliciate, these potions are already available from a NPC seller (Cure Minor Wounds at Bervis the Beekeper; and both Cure Light Wounds and Antidote potions are available in bulk in Hazlan).

So while the basis of the concern is valid, the current set-up is so far from making that possible that it's not really pertinent.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
I've added a few to a store in Dementlieu for my next update.