Author Topic: Raise Dead/Ressurection.  (Read 6137 times)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Re: Raise Dead/Ressurection.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
Lose a level upon Raising ? :lolsign:

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »
I will use that mysterious word I love so much, "this is a mindset problem, not a mechanical problem"

What he said.

So you're agreeing it's the mindset of the majourity of the server, that is the problem?

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
I will use that mysterious word I love so much, "this is a mindset problem, not a mechanical problem"

Agreed. Its a mindset problem, and one I will admit that I have been guilty of as well. I do think that even if you are raised to roleplay out the agonizing suffering of what it means to die as well as having clerics perform rituals to bring the people back instead of "I cast raise dead and place some gems down". Ie speaking out a prayer to the deity and asking for aid to help the person. This might make it at least more interesting.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

What he said.

So you're agreeing it's the mindset of the majourity of the server, that is the problem?

if you lvl that fast misted then you are your own problem, and you have to make it fun or acceptable for yourself.

some of us including eberon it seems took years to get where we are, i am not going to follow these set of rules you are wanting cause of some folks that cannot controle themselves when they are bored or see something red and attack it on sight for xp.   mihas took me 3 years now i think, so i agree with the panda its the mindset and behaviour not a mechincal issue
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Your Suggesion is Valid Misted, but once more it would flood DM's and CC members for EVERY Transition Kill, PvP Situation, that is just simply an overload, as if they don't have enough work setting up events, I agree it was kind of game destroying when I held a blade to Lucadia's throat and everyone was just like "Bye Lucadia, if she kills you see you in the church". It is a Mindset as HellsPanda says, despite the fact that he is prone to blanket statements, it really fits, be the change you want to see in the server, show others that death is something to fear. You should not rely on a mechanic to give edge to your words; have other's learn that sometimes there are consequences for their actions; THAT is gothic horror, the feel of uncertainty, not frustration.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
Your Suggesion is Valid Misted, but once more it would flood DM's and CC members for EVERY Transition Kill, PvP Situation, that is just simply an overload, as if they don't have enough work setting up events, I agree it was kind of game destroying when I held a blade to Lucadia's throat and everyone was just like "Bye Lucadia, if she kills you see you in the church". It is a Mindset as HellsPanda says, despite the fact that he is prone to blanket statements, it really fits, be the change you want to see in the server, show others that death is something to fear. You should not rely on a mechanic to give edge to your words; have other's learn that sometimes there are consequences for their actions; THAT is gothic horror, the feel of uncertainty, not frustration.
I assure the druid in question was in fear of his soul, though cant control the other players in what they do in such situations reguarding life/death

But I dont agree on losing a level for every death , I could only see players using pvp to make sure the ones they are in conflict with never rise in power

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
The hardest to kill powergamers will gain that level back asap. Hell, they already do delevel and relevel for l33t enchanted g34r. Not only that but it'll encourage massive OOC dungeon sweeping parties. I seem to recall a few threads about how those are end-of-the-world-server-ruining as well. I don't think it'd actually make people afraid to die, it'd just make dying a massive inconvenience when it does happen.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
the ol rez rape.

it just has to many downsides  in my eyes nothing but downsides but thats my opinion.

you want to lose a lvl then dont get rezzed then simply take the mist way out no?

so in a way such a system is already in place yet we all have a choice to use it or not.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I assure the druid in question was in fear of his soul, though cant control the other players in what they do in such situations reguarding life/death

But I dont agree on losing a level for every death , I could only see players using pvp to make sure the ones they are in conflict with never rise in power
Of course Lucadia xD I only meant when that comment was said it ruined the atmosphere a little.

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Look at Amnesia, it is popular since it makes you tensed and at your full senses all the time. You are hopelessly avoiding a being you cannot slay.

Are you talking about Amnesia: the Dark Descent?  Amazing game, played in in the dark and was leaping out of my seat (so was my daughter)!  Never been so scared in a game.

The amount of time I spend dungeoning on any of my characters is always less than the time spent doing something else.  If there isn't anyone on and I am bored, I do something else.  I play on another server, I go read a book, watch tv, post a character bio entry.  I agree that death is downplayed too much and it hurts the feeling of horror.  Horror in many cases has been replaced by drama, but real horror is where the player is getting nervous and scared as well as the character.  Real horror should have real consequences.  Many ideas on this have been posted on many threads, don't want to rehash it all here.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »

Probably wont do a thing, some shady people will probably just continue and laugh at those who do not abuse something to get a upper hand.  :(

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »
If the goal is to make players "fear death" more, there is not any mechanic that could ever be put in place that would accomplish that goal. I seriously doubt there is a player out there that actually is "Afraid" about their character's death. That said, players can RP their CHARACTERS being afraid of death. That is entirely different and has nothing to do with game mechanics. Sadly there is nothing you can do to "encourage" (i.e. Force) a player to do that. The only thing you can do is make a system guaranteed to brass of players when their character's DO die. However, said system will in no way make the player actually play any differently. I've seen this on a lot of servers I have never seen it work like the supporters think it will.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
If the goal is to make players "fear death" more, there is not any mechanic that could ever be put in place that would accomplish that goal. I seriously doubt there is a player out there that actually is "Afraid" about their character's death. That said, players can RP their CHARACTERS being afraid of death. That is entirely different and has nothing to do with game mechanics. Sadly there is nothing you can do to "encourage" (i.e. Force) a player to do that. The only thing you can do is make a system guaranteed to brass of players when their character's DO die. However, said system will in no way make the player actually play any differently. I've seen this on a lot of servers I have never seen it work like the supporters think it will.

People do not feel tensed and such when a danger is close? I can feel pretty nervous and tensed if I like a game, really feeling for it if its a good game,

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »

People do not feel tensed and such when a danger is close? I can feel pretty nervous and tensed if I like a game, really feeling for it if its a good game,

I suppose some might, I don't particularly. I do not make any IC behavioral changes because of it when I do feel it. If anything I take a OOC risk assessment before I go on an adventure and weigh the risk of death vs the fun of going(where and with whom I'm going, gold, xp, etc) , after that (assuming I'm going that is) I just RP the character. Harsher consequences only makes me less likely to go out in the first place.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
i'l repeat this once more.

you want to play that way. np go ahead take the step into the light option when you die you'd lose your lvl.

so the system is already there, we have the option, the choice is simply ours.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »

Ug.  That sort of response is the sort that makes the DM in me just want to say, "Rocks Fall, everyone dies."

If a players isn't willing to rp fear or terror, fine.  They're missing out.   When a player actively undermines the fear or terror that other's are trying to rp, they need to be punished. (preferably with a "If you do this again, the DM team is going to summon a horde of werewolves to tear apart your character and devour every last scrap of you so that no one can res you ever.")

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 10:13:38 AM »
Sadly no matter what kind of mechanical changes take place there will be always a 5% trying to get the upper hands abusing mechanics.

My main problem when those trying to RP cautiousness and fear suffer from a generally fear-less mindset. In character I have received many taunts and jests for being a coward not entering a dungeon or not  pushing forward into obvious danger. Or generally stamped a whiny-cat for expressing caution and fear. Those are the ruining moments. :x

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Sadly no matter what kind of mechanical changes take place there will be always a 5% trying to get the upper hands abusing mechanics.

My main problem when those trying to RP cautiousness and fear suffer from a generally fear-less mindset. In character I have received many taunts and jests for being a coward not entering a dungeon or not  pushing forward into obvious danger. Or generally stamped a whiny-cat for expressing caution and fear. Those are the ruining moments. :x

This.

Its hard to get into showing the fear and horror that the setting is supposed to be all about, when you get that kind of response. Comments like "Don't be so dramatic" or "Suck it up and lets go" just spoil the mood and make me feel like I'm doing something wrong to spoil their game. I know in recent events with Decay and the desert, my heart was pounding with what the outcome would be for my PC. And its always a great game when you can get the players heart pounding as much as the PCs :D

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »

This.

Its hard to get into showing the fear and horror that the setting is supposed to be all about, when you get that kind of response. Comments like "Don't be so dramatic" or "Suck it up and lets go" just spoil the mood and make me feel like I'm doing something wrong to spoil their game. I know in recent events with Decay and the desert, my heart was pounding with what the outcome would be for my PC. And its always a great game when you can get the players heart pounding as much as the PCs :D

To be fair, not every character expresses fear in the same way.  If a person is out and out ignoring the setting and playing a fearless character, then yeah, that sucks.   If they're playing a hard shelled person who doesn't wear their emotions on their sleeve, that's another thing.   Maybe they don't cower and beg for their mother when they hear a pack of wolves howling at night.  Maybe instead they start acting a bit harsher to their party.  "Suck it up and lets go" can translate to, "Lets get moving before whatever's making that noise finds us."

Remember that IC jerks are not the same as OOC jerks. ;)

(to be fair, I'd probably be annoyed if someone said, "Don't be so dramatic," to me in game, unless the character was clearly covering for their own fear.  A la, "Don't be so dramatic.  I'm sure it's nothing. *anxiously glances at the treeline*)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
Death on this server is only an anoyance in so far in the fact that if one of my characters dies I'm literally just sitting there staring at my monitor for ten or fifteen minutes bored out of my brain. If the party I'm with happens to wipe, well that can stretch out to thirty minutes or more in the worst of cases. That's a lot of time to just be sitting there twiddling your thumbs waiting for another player to happen by assuming you don't send out tells for help (lets keep it real folks :mrgreen: ) or a DM to chime in with a nifty event scene to get us all back on our feet. Only ever had that happen to me twice so far and both times it was a real treat, but it was forty minutes to an hour before the DM did chime in from memory. All this has made me feel that the death system is just an annoyance, do I fear it? Not really, and I don't think any mechanic is ever going to make someone like me afraid of death unless you litarally come round to my house and play out the scene before my very eyes.

That said, when I am envovled in a DM event the dread is all the more palpable, honestly some of you DM... No wait, all of you, you are all sick individuals and you freak me out!... :P Wish I could get inviolved with you guys and your events more often :mrgreen:

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Death on this server is only an anoyance in so far in the fact that if one of my characters dies I'm literally just sitting there staring at my monitor for ten or fifteen minutes bored out of my brain. If the party I'm with happens to wipe, well that can stretch out to thirty minutes or more in the worst of cases. That's a lot of time to just be sitting there twiddling your thumbs waiting for another player to happen by assuming you don't send out tells for help (lets keep it real folks :mrgreen: ) or a DM to chime in with a nifty event scene to get us all back on our feet. Only ever had that happen to me twice so far and both times it was a real treat, but it was forty minutes to an hour before the DM did chime in from memory. All this has made me feel that the death system is just an annoyance, do I fear it? Not really, and I don't think any mechanic is ever going to make someone like me afraid of death unless you litarally come round to my house and play out the scene before my very eyes.

That said, when I am envovled in a DM event the dread is all the more palpable, honestly some of you DM... No wait, all of you, you are all sick individuals and you freak me out!... :P Wish I could get inviolved with you guys and your events more often :mrgreen:

This discussion is not about OOC fear, xD My character can be puking blood, it doesn't mean my throat get's sore, it's the fact that ICly people do not fear death. Because the OOC mechanic

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »
Either way, its still a factor, if you're prone to feel what your cahracter feels then you're more likely to RP that fear out, so it goes hand in hand. Many however don't feel that fear, I can say that my heart does beat faster and I do get the nerves and panic if my characters are facing a possoble death. I do try to RP that out as well but to be honest I'm one who can only RP well if in real life I am calm and collected. Soon as my heart rate goes up as it were I loose a lot of focus and much of my RP goes right out the window. So where does this jittery come from? The current death system is what, its such a pain when it happens and trying to avoid it makes me panic in real life. Regardless if the events surrounding my charachter is mundane or not.