You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Outlawing Ninjalooting - Completely  (Read 37221 times)

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
Re: Outlawing Ninjalooting - Completely
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Got to say folks.

IC situation. There is a wealthy merchant who stores his gold in a small outpost, with a number of guards.

Rogue or Spellcaster sneaks in under invis, eludes the guards, gets the loot. Sensible IC response to an IC problem. This is part of their class features.

Martial characters hit things. Other characters either join a party as support to martial characters, or they use intelligence and finesse to circumvent the problem.

IC response to the market being flooded with goods? Supply exceeds demand, price drops, less money per item is made. Vicious spiral.

Just got to take the blinkers off and look at this logically, really.
A most troublesome Fox.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »
so let me get this.

team1:  ppl shouldnt ninja loot

team2: our rogues have it hard enough as it is.

hmmmm team 2 shouldnt complain cause last i checked clearing a dungeon and find there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow sucks, simply cause someone got greedy.
and dont give me yeah but my char needs it speech, cause thats the kicker  only ppl with a rogue char think it is unfair to not allow ninja looting but they dont loot it for ic reasons no they loot it cause they need money or items,   well so do the rest of us and leaving us to go there with a party and theres no loot thats a big mid finger to that party by that ninja looting rogue.
plus a lvl 14 rogue or so is no joke to face  they can sneak use scrolls  evade allot     weak? yes only on low lvls  long run?  nope

ps/ it is a mindset yes   won't change if the ninja looters don't change.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Silverfox

• Undead Master
  • Goggles
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
so let me get this.

hmmmm team 2 shouldnt complain cause last i checked clearing a dungeon and find there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow sucks, simply cause someone got greedy.
and dont give me yeah but my char needs it speech, cause thats the kicker  only ppl with a rogue char think it is unfair to not allow ninja looting but they dont loot it for ic reasons no they loot it cause they need money or items,   well so do the rest of us and leaving us to go there with a party and theres no loot thats a big mid finger to that party by that ninja looting rogue.
plus a lvl 14 rogue or so is no joke to face  they can sneak use scrolls  evade allot     weak? yes only on low lvls  long run?  nope

ps/ it is a mindset yes   won't change if the ninja looters don't change.

I have a Fighter/Rogue. He wears a Breastplate. He has no sneaking abilities. He cannot turn invisiible. He in effect, cannot Ninja Loot. In fact, he's got Rogue levels purely to represent the fact that he's a former street thug that fights dirty given any chance.

Still in favour of allowing Ninja Looting on grounds of RP logic.

Raincheck, People are greedy. People want wealth. People want power. People want to be better than others. IC & OOC. This kind of behaviour helps facilitate that, so there is motive on both fronts.

No loot in the dungeon? Same thing happens if a party just cleared out all the spawns anyway. Same result, but you feel less cheated because they didn't do something beyond the abilities of your own character. IC motives still present, still the same.

Edit - Addendum; Fighters can't throw fireballs either, should we ban mages from casting spells?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:52:43 PM by Silverfox »
A most troublesome Fox.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
The loot of the NCE was craptastic, except for the loot generated by players who were exploiting the MPC template and received bans for it.

+1

Ninjalooting, especially places which are worth it, are not without their risks.

Ninjalooting is a boon to every dungeoneer as it protects spawn levels,  EXCEPT the places with Blasphemes or Ooze/Jelly or their ilk, which absolutely force you to avoid the place entirely or kill them first (which ruins the spawn of course).

Another exception is that some dungeons have spawns that kill each other if they get into sight.

I have said it before. I will say it again. Sithicus is ninja-looter proof. (Well, save perhaps the first dungeon. Wait. Fixed it.)

COME GET SOME.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »
so let me get this.

ps/ it is a mindset yes   won't change if the ninja looters don't change.

I have a Fighter/Rogue. He wears a Breastplate. He has no sneaking abilities. He cannot turn invisiible. He in effect, cannot Ninja Loot. In fact, he's got Rogue levels purely to represent the fact that he's a former street thug that fights dirty given any chance.

Still in favour of allowing Ninja Looting on grounds of RP logic.

Raincheck, People are greedy. People want wealth. People want power. People want to be better than others. IC & OOC. This kind of behaviour helps facilitate that, so there is motive on both fronts.

No loot in the dungeon? Same thing happens if a party just cleared out all the spawns anyway. Same result, but you feel less cheated because they didn't do something beyond the abilities of your own character. IC motives still present, still the same.

Edit - Addendum; Fighters can't throw fireballs either, should we ban mages from casting spells?

a party cleans the dungeon they kill what guards the treasure, thus they reserve the reward.   a ninja looter  bypasses it cause he has stats  theres no potions to use no varnishes to use no nothing beside pure skill to bypass it all and get the reward.

so by your logic??? if you can robb a bank and get away with it then you are indeed allowed to walk off scott free,   while those that invest in the bank to get more money out of it later are wrong?
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
All praise the ninja looters, without them & thier extensive knowledge of monster spawns most of you will have never seen half the groovy items they sell on to merchants.

Example : I have a 20th level sorcerer, in her time the items I have found that I considered worth keeping were one set of cat's walk boots and an Scarab Amulet ....Thats it ! Two bloody items in countless dungeons!!  Iadul bless the Misty traders & Vardo I say.

Now my favorite class of all time is the rogue, if you told me that stealing from nasties was bad form I'd laugh at you, probably in fact start stealing from PCs instead. Rogues are item dependant so much its not funny, also said items fetch a HUGE price, thus it costs a fortune to outfit a rogue, even with modest gear.

The fact is that the rare occurances of ninja looting are good since they supply the communtiy with badly need items.

Now, most people think either invis or a great stealth stats are needed for ninja looting, when infact its both. Also the dream of a single rogue emptying a dungeon is not ussualy true , its a small dedicated team.

Yes clearing spawn from an empty dungeon sucks OOC but if you back out from battleing baddies because you find no gold, then you really should take a look at your motives for going in the first place & possibly just hire an oxen, get to know the road to Krofburg.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
Well i find it bad sportsmanship. 
I suppose i made clear by now how i feel about it

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »
well... my opinion on this topic would be...

This server have actually taken a great effort to make it harder then most server to actually ninja loot on. Pick a lock in stealth, or pick up loot in stealth will lower you hide and move silent skills and also have all enemy's near by roll both spot and listen...and yes, rather many "monsters" on this server have pretty darn good such skills, not to mention many places have monsters and creatures in them with un nerfed true sight.

Invisibility have been change so that monsters sill roll listen towards them, also breaking a chest in invisibility will break it.

Greater sanctuary has also been changed so you can not pick stuff up without break it.

Taken this in to the account i say much have been done to make it hard or at least much harder for the so called ninja looters.

As frustrating it can be to clear a difficult dungeon and find them chests empty, well it be the same frustration players will feel when RP a trip somewhere and when get there find  it cleared down to the last snail that used to live there..and on top of that, empty chests.

To be true and i sure not point anyone out, but people tend to point their fingers towards stuff they can not them self do, or not doing by own choice, be it OOC or IC. If you can not ninja you be angry at ninjas, if you can not solo you be mad at them that can solo, If you get Knocked downed in a PvP you be mad at knockdown, cant see sneakers...well then we need to weaken the sneakers.

What would be next after outlaw ninja looting then? Outlaw KD? or maybe outlaw Clerics?
I not say this to be rude or saying i am right and you are wrong but...

- Why not try see all the good stuff that is instead? How far this server have come, and also what's have been done about this matter.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »
told myself not to post here anymore but i had an idea beside the ol bitcheroo.

it would never be dooable as it will take to much effort redoing dungeons BUT.

lets say theres 1 chest in a dungeon somewhere, now double that chest but let one be locked that it needs a key a key a spawn has.

that way the ninja looter can never mess it up for the ones cleaning the dungeon.

but it would create a shitload of redoing for the devs an all, so i see it as not executable.

still a nice idea no?

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »
Alright, throwing in my two cents. Ninja Looting is frustrating, yes, so is finding a dungeon you rallied a group for completely cleared by one high level running through and crowbaring the chests.

A comparison was made as well, ninja looting is to robbing a bank, as clearing the dungeon is to investing, I think thats way off, the only differance is one guy gets in and out undetected, while the other slaughters the guards and bank patrons. What's the point in building a rogue who can't hide, steal, do -rogue- things, lets take away a fighters high ab and hp, its not fair they can go toe to toe with monsters and rogues cant.  Ninja-looting does require class features, hell even Invis can get you killed if a monster wanders into you accidentally a rogue has such low health one lucky blow and thats it for your character.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
Hehe.
 I feel like groundhog day, this comes up about once a year, MetalAsh will remember because he has not even been around for a year or two and he will remember at least a few such conversations. I do not feel untoward in saying that most of you do not understand the ninja looting system and assume its so damned easy, but its not any easier than killing the spawns itself is easy, there are more systems in place to make it difficult but not impossible than most of you assume. Every single time a place is too easy, its reported and resolved (usually it is reported by a ninja looter :) )    I get it, some of you have a "pet peeve" about it, a mental block, where you can not see it as in-character behavior and completely legal and supported with systems on the server. It is though, I don't really feel like its a gaming aspect that should have to be defended against anymore than someone who decides to make an aggressive violent offensive character that ends in pvp much (completely legitimate on this server) or a lewd remark spewing racist and sexist who scratches their private parts a lot (also completely legitimate on this server).
Bottom-line is that characters can and should do things that your character may not agree with and it should be viewed in-character. If you are incapable of viewing such things as being in-character and to be dealt with in-character then inevitably this game will sometimes frustrate you because finding empty chests as a setback is light compared to some setbacks you will find on potm that you won't find on your run-of-the-mill MMO.

The staff are well WELL aware of what can and can not be achieved by the ninja looting system, and anytime something seems to be exploited or too easy or does not have enough risk then its changed. The server has never been more unfriendly system wise to those that would loot and leave the monsters than it is right now, believe it. Vast majority of places are well balanced risk/reward wise for ninja looting.

Anyway, Myself, I would not call a prolific ninja looter but at various times if I was playing a character that might stoop to such things, then I have done it. 
I generally will do it if i can and its a good spawn where something nice may drop OR I just could use some money because i have been buying reagents or crafting until poor....
I can do almost anywhere that has a slight chance to loot without harming the spawn, through years of experience with the game and server and having had some quite decent characters for the task.... but I am also savvy about getting out ASAP so that the respawn timer starts so it has minimal chance of impacting whoever might come along...   And as well, I usually report things if they are too easy or exploitable myself ... in just he past year  I have found a few things worthy of mention and immediately reported them:
Crowbar usagae while invisible <--this one was huge and went on no telling how long before I tried it on one of my very few characters who did not have OL  :)
Ruined Temple of Harvest  I have found this dungeon partially looted so many times I lost count since first bringing this up, as those mummies are both well stocked with nice goodies and utterly incapable of stopping the smart ninja looter who does not allow them to know they're there.
and shown for informational sake only, just to say that when things are too easy they get brought up, but they are usually found out when in the middle of looting eh. Its not always a thread, I have sent PMs to Soren once or twice to alert of stuff too. I know others do it too, this is how things get kept on the up and up.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
I have been ninjalooting and doing party dungeons here for going on 9 years, and I have to say I have never seen a problem, or thought the system was broken. Sure, there's been empty dungeons, but I went and found another. Sometimes there were none on the entire server, in which case I did something else that day. Knowing the system did help, because there's so many alternatives that to actually think you are stuck is quite odd.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »
Different servers have different rules.  I also play on another server which bans ninja looting, among other things such as selling items for too low a price for *any* reason, giving powerful items to low level characters, adventuring with characters more than ten levels away from your own level, among other things.  Both ways have advantages as well as disadvantages.  On this particular issue, my personal advice is, if you want a place that bans ninja looting, go play on a server that bans it.  I play both places, depending on the  mood I'm in for the environment I want to play in.  You can do the same things. 

I do ninja loot herbs sometime, but only herbs.  I never touch gold or other items by ninja looting.  And the only reason I ninja loot herbs is because I want to make headway by collecting more herbs than I spend in potions getting them, but I don't want to ruin the spawn for the next person to come through the dungeon by wiping out low level monsters on my level 15 character.  As I understand it, the herbs will respawn fairly quickly, so it's unlikely others will miss out, so no one should be shortchanged.  And I also don't do it often, usually when I have little to nothing else to do, and it happens to be in the IC winter, so there aren't much for herbs to collect above ground.  And I only do it on one character who has stealth capabilities.  :P  And if no one else is in the dungeon or on their way to it.   But I'd be  bummed out if PoTM went the way of the uber-regulated server I also play on.  I like the variety between the two, and for me, PoTM represents the "high liberty and creativity" end of the spectrum that is very refreshing to play on when it's what I'm in the mood for. 

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
As I understand it, the herbs will respawn fairly quickly
So does the loot, in the exact same amount of time elapsed :)

I'd be  bummed out if PoTM went the way of the uber-regulated server ....., and for me, PoTM represents the "high liberty and creativity" end of the spectrum that is very refreshing to play on
Totally agree

And Shadymerchant said pretty much my attitude about this, and many other things people call to change....  I feel like too many players try one thing, it does not work out and they allow it to ruin their day instead of just trying something else instead; the easily defeated mindset run amok.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 01:17:37 AM »
I have been ninjalooting and doing party dungeons here for going on 9 years, and I have to say I have never seen a problem, or thought the system was broken. Sure, there's been empty dungeons, but I went and found another. Sometimes there were none on the entire server, in which case I did something else that day. Knowing the system did help, because there's so many alternatives that to actually think you are stuck is quite odd.
*ahem* we've only been around for 7 years :P

But yes, ninja-looting is not nearly as much of a problem here as people think it is. Our loot system is not like other servers. The loot generated is based on the strength of the monsters spawns in the dungeons, and the strength of the monster spawns depend on how often they are killed by players. If a player somehow manages to evade all the monsters and gain loot, the ultimate effect is that the monster spawns will get stronger since they weren't killed, which increases the value of loot found in chests once the area resets. Also, dungeons re-populate monsters and treasure after being unused by players for 15 minutes. Given all that, plus the many things Metal Ash listed to deter the few people from doing it, it is not the most damaging thing as far as dungeoning goes.

At worst, those still able to pull it off make the artificial economy inflated with too much treasure. That reason is enough to look into more measures to prevent it, but it is not a problem for players looking to find stuff in dungeons, providing you are willing to wait until the area resets itself.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
Didn't this start in 2003? Then its 9 years, but I didnt come until ages later so don't know.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:58 AM »
Well it can be frustrating at times to clear a dungeon but not find any pot of gold. It would be nice if set Ninja looter, marks the entrance with an OOC mark giving the IG time and date. I think that can help people out as well once someone has looted the place.

Another pet peeve probably to many is clearing dungeons. I would pull a group together to go stake out a dungeon, even right after server reset, just to find that a person just cleared it. It is especially hard if you have a group of players that want to play undead slayers and you find out all areas of such nature has been cleared because they are close to Vallaki. It is a reason why I am asking for a few extra dungeons near the village so that groups such as mine can at least travel there for some action, since not everyone is willing to make the trek there.

Also what ninja looters do to the economy is a side effect. For me it is really difficult at time to get money. Not everyone wants to buy a weapon or some armor. Even though I put time into design and all. They mostly want enchanted gear. So, what you get with ninja looting that exposes the loot table is not only a flux of gold and loot items, but you get people creating PCs base off of loot tables rather than concepts with history.

Here is an example.
If I want to be an uber undead slayer. Make a cleric or a paladin. The cleric will be better. Have the cleric specialize in spears. Then get a hold of the sunlance spear.
Make a fighter or paladin with focus on greatswords because of what loot drops with greatswords.
Ect..

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:20 AM »
One misconception about the spawns of dungeons, they are not maximised at resets. They start of at the same spawn as when the reset started, but it will be reset, like if 15 mins of the dungeon being empty.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 05:42:10 AM »
What I am saying is there are certain dungeons that are almost constantly attack.
Terg Crypts and the Werewolf lair are just to name two.
Also the Morninglord Crypts as well.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »
Didn't this start in 2003? Then its 9 years, but I didnt come until ages later so don't know.

Beta only started in 2005, so its 7 years.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:30:56 AM by Heretic »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »

Beta only started in 2005, so its 7 years.

we also now know who to blame, pitty we cant point the finger at the cause of your beeing here H

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
All praise the ninja looters, without them & thier extensive knowledge of monster spawns most of you will have never seen half the groovy items they sell on to merchants.

Example : I have a 20th level sorcerer, in her time the items I have found that I considered worth keeping were one set of cat's walk boots and an Scarab Amulet ....Thats it ! Two bloody items in countless dungeons!!  Iadul bless the Misty traders & Vardo I say.

Now my favorite class of all time is the rogue, if you told me that stealing from nasties was bad form I'd laugh at you, probably in fact start stealing from PCs instead. Rogues are item dependant so much its not funny, also said items fetch a HUGE price, thus it costs a fortune to outfit a rogue, even with modest gear.

The fact is that the rare occurances of ninja looting are good since they supply the communtiy with badly need items.

Now, most people think either invis or a great stealth stats are needed for ninja looting, when infact its both. Also the dream of a single rogue emptying a dungeon is not ussualy true , its a small dedicated team.

Yes clearing spawn from an empty dungeon sucks OOC but if you back out from battleing baddies because you find no gold, then you really should take a look at your motives for going in the first place & possibly just hire an oxen, get to know the road to Krofburg.

+1

I know it would be best to not get involved in this topic. But I have to say that most of characters wouldn't have the gear they need to dungeon if it wasn't for people who get loot (by whatever means) and sell it to various merchants. That being said some of my characters are really poor at dungeoning, so i work for money in other ways. It's nice to see people at least trying to make things available so I can spend my hard earned gold on things at actually want.

If someone has the skill to do this, to bypass those monsters that can hear them opening chests, See through inv, Have ludicrous spot checks, Then why the heck shouldn't they be rewarded for it? Especially if they turn around and share with the community. Want to ban characters who can kill monsters without wasting their entire stock of potions and varnishes too?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:26:32 AM by RedwizardD »

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
On the subject of money, my characters don't go adventuring to make money.  They make money in other ways to support their adventuring habit, which costs money. :P

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
well i see it like *insert something you always hoped for*  hidden in your backyard by yours truly, but im making you pass trough multiple trials, and making you use several consumables.

now at the end theres a box with the thing you always hoped for , you open it andddddd its empty,  then you don't feel a little screwed?

peoples mindset is rewards yes, thats why some love their jobs cause it gives them the rewarding feeling they add something or acomplished something, in nwn that is mostly loot or taking down a real bad ass monster.

nwn and potm is a game yes i love the rp but i'l be the first to admid it that i love finding something special or something i needed in a chest it makes me go ****YEAH.

cause let's face it you do not go to let's say perfidus to rp that place leaves no room to rp it's survival mode on when you enter that place with other ppl.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
The loot of the NCE was craptastic, except for the loot generated by players who were exploiting the MPC template and received bans for it.

+1

Ninjalooting, especially places which are worth it, are not without their risks.

Ninjalooting is a boon to every dungeoneer as it protects spawn levels,  EXCEPT the places with Blasphemes or Ooze/Jelly or their ilk, which absolutely force you to avoid the place entirely or kill them first (which ruins the spawn of course).

Another exception is that some dungeons have spawns that kill each other if they get into sight.

I have said it before. I will say it again. Sithicus is ninja-looter proof. (Well, save perhaps the first dungeon. Wait. Fixed it.)

COME GET SOME.

WHY NO ONE EVER INVITE ME TO DUNGEON TESTING !, I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY EXPERT ADVICE !