You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Elite Vampiresses and Mechanics  (Read 6401 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Re: Elite Vampiresses and Mechanics
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »
The point being is if a player did the same thing it would be abuse. So, essentially the NPC is abusing its class. It is a simple way to fix the abuse problem. There are other things it can have like darkness potions or things similar to that.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Seems someone had the joy of fighting a vampiress again, recently. Hahaha

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
Theres not many things that have hips. And most are related to shadows....

The point of it is that while its not 'dancing around and RPing its hips' It would be!, if it could be scripted with AI. Don't look at it 'standing in the same place'... sure, mechanically that is what happens, but if it were capable of such with scripting it'd be dancing in and out of shadows, striking from all sides, etc... Such attacks would be very hard to 'defend' against, unless you had good senses to hear/see its new attacks coming, plenty or reason for it to 'ignore' or shutoff your defense modes. And if you had those good senses, well, that's managed too, since the hips won't work on you!

Whilst annoying as all can be, I think the behavior is fine and fitting for such creatures of the shadows and night.

Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
The point being is if a player did the same thing it would be abuse. So, essentially the NPC is abusing its class. It is a simple way to fix the abuse problem. There are other things it can have like darkness potions or things similar to that.

An npc can't abuse anything.  It's not a person.  If you take your line of thinking to it's logical conclusion, tons of monsters are "abusing" the game.   The werefoxes just turn invis and spam death and damage spells.  They don't even try to rp with me or try opposed stat rolls!  :lol:

Hips monsters exist to negate dodge/dex ac. (and arguably also to cancel combat modes)  As far as I'm aware ultravision/true seeing counters darkness, so that suggestion doesn't properly substitute as a garunteed dex/dodge negater.  It would be nice if their ai could be tweaked so that they only used stealth once every few rounds, but I don't know how difficult that would be or how much resources it'd eat up.  If it does end up being to difficult, I'd rather leave hips monsters in the game instead of completely removing one of the tools our Devs for making varied, difficult dungeons.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
In NWN2 shadowdancers have a about 6 second cool down. Which means you can't just spam in an out. So, you have to strike run away then hide again. Maybe putting a 6 second delay in on the monster. I don't know if such timers would cause lag though.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
In NWN2 shadowdancers have a about 6 second cool down. Which means you can't just spam in an out. So, you have to strike run away then hide again. Maybe putting a 6 second delay in on the monster. I don't know if such timers would cause lag though.
Sounds like a good idea if is possible to do it.

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Sounds like a good idea if is possible to do it.

This has been suggested in another thread (no i am too lazy to look for it, go find it yourself!) And sadly IIRC it was not able to be implamented at this time.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »
It is already implemented that way for monsters, but they are just very unexciting about how they use it (go into sneak mode - immediately attack). I've tried to tweak it to make them a bit more interesting in how they choose to take advantage of HIPS, should be ready by next update.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
Did you manage to tweak it? Just wondering, 'caase I've not encountered a vampiress since the time I posted in this thread.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Did you manage to tweak it? Just wondering, 'caase I've not encountered a vampiress since the time I posted in this thread.

They have altered the vampire crypts, so afaik there will none spawn there anymore, and i think there is not a single place now where you may encounter them, without DM spawn.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

They have altered the vampire crypts, so afaik there will none spawn there anymore, and i think there is not a single place now where you may encounter them, without DM spawn.

VOB could really use a decent vampire crypt given where and what it is....the only vampire crypt in VOB is off limits unless you do something really, really bad.