Author Topic: Wizard Spell Book; On entry  (Read 5965 times)

Badelaire

Re: Wizard Spell Book; On entry
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »
And as I pointed out, you do not even need to be in possession of your spellbook in order to cast spells you have already read (which would be those inscribed into your spellbook).

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
Weapons drop on death, and those weapons could hold any number of tempoarary or permament enchantments, which dosen't lead to massive grieving problems. Your assuming the majority of our player base are griefers, which I don't beleive they are. I don't think your giving people credit where it is due.

Losing a spellbook is more along the lines of if all equipment dropped on death. Or if feats were put into books that would also drop on death. To give you an idea of the severity of it ICly, you lose every single bit of research you've ever done. All of your notes, everything. Someone I met said on another server, DMs reset her character level to 1 because her spellbook was destroyed in a quest.

It's also worth noting that you can't simply go and buy every single scroll back. Some are quite rare, and I think some simply don't spawn at all. And not all of them are high level spells either. Offhand (I haven't looked in ages) I think it's either greater magic weapon or flame weapon that you can't buy. I think the same is true with flame arrow, and I think possibly acid breath or acid arrow don't drop period. I think I've seen one acid sheath scroll, once. I know I dicked myself out of getting a handful of useful spells on my first Zach build, on my rebuild I specifically took them at level. This is why it's nothing like losing a weapon. The closest horribly punishing thing I could think of that would be like it is being a rogue if gear dropped on death, because the vast majority of core rogue gear is rare.

As for griefing, I'm sure it would happen. And I'm sure there would be at least 1-2 people who would make witch hunter characters and have collections of spellbooks in their bag. All it takes is dying once. If someone finds your corpse before your friend does, and they happen to be a jerk? Goodbye spellbook, I hope you've got a good support network of friends who can help you take 50k to the top of Baratak or to Village. And if it gets exploited so badly that special rules are made so spellbook theft is treated like corpse hiding, why have drop-able spellbooks in the first place?

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
Yeah this will just create more work for us to deal with. Yes, the majority of our player base is mature, but you'd be surprised with how much trouble a handful of players can cause to the general population on the whole.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
Please though it is off topic but can you change yours profiles picture ... I cannot stand it seeing Bieber picture

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
I play a wizard and I actually had my spellbook taken once.

I got killed on a botched dungeon run. I have a book that I just "pretend" is my spellbook. (It is the generic holdable book item). I was revived by a character who was hostile to me, and he role-played that ALL of my possessions were taken. (even my boots!)

I do not want to divulge the details, but I sat around for about an hour being worthless in my underwear (in character) doing nothing until my companions could get enough money together for a bribe so that I could get my things back and then escape. Mechanically speaking there was nothing stopping me from resting and then throwing out empowered missile storms, but that would not be interesting as I had gotten killed and lost my inventory fair and square.

This was a pivotal moment in my character's story, as he is now greatly afraid of the desert.

I think it is a good idea for a wizard to have a unique item that serves as a spellbook, but if it dropped on death then it would just make the game so difficult to the point that it would not be fun. However, when it is part of the story I believe that the players will want to play fairly.

I just think that making the spellbook drop on death would be about as fun as a game about trying to find your car keys. Yes it's realistic, but real life is not fun. But yes, please add the holdable book item to the character creation store, I would like that.

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »

I'm fairly sure all the source material indicates wizards make use of one spell book, there is no mention of multiple books. <--- Um, Spellbooks hold 100 Pages and each spell corrosponding to it's level takes up a page per level,  meaning 1 9th level spell takes up 9 pages. A wizard looks like a bloody librarian eventually.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »
People who want to rp with their spellbook will make use of in game books.  People who don't, won't.   In either case, forcing the devs to implement a system to handle it, or forcing books to drop on death is unnecessary.

The best way to handle it would just be to implement books like the blank pages that are already in game.  That way, a person who wants to rp such could buy a "blank book" and then rename it to be their specific spellbook. (and maybe throw some details into the description about what sort of spells they know)

Your suggestion requires that the devs implement several new systems.  My suggestion requires the devs to reskin one item that already exists in game.   Both have the same pros, while mine suggestion has the advantage of being opt in and less abusable.  :P

Also, my suggestion has additional benefits in that people who want to write in-character books would have an item to do that with, instead of having to write out their "book" on a note and then ask a DM to copy it onto a book item.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
While the overall idea of tying mechanics to a drop-able item is a disastrous idea, both in terms of game play grief and the coding nightmare that would entail, adding the normal book prop item to the new character lobby would be a nice touch. Most characters aren't going to get their hands on an actual holdable book until they can travel to somewhere like Dementlieu. The standard 'book' which can be equipped is a nice weak fashion item that would make sense for some characters, wizards especially, to be able to start with.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »
There's a holdable book item available at Haulgrave's bookstore, Residental Distrcit of Vallaki.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0