You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wizard Spell Book; On entry  (Read 5966 times)

dark_majico

Wizard Spell Book; On entry
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »

1) Wizards on entry into the game are given a spell book, for roleplaying purposes, item weight between 1 and 4lb's? Unsure, but I feel it should have some weight to give it credability as an IC item and not an OOC mechanic. A Wizard should never ever be without one, and it should be his or her most prized possession.

2) The book item is randomly taken from a small pool of types, that have different appearances depending on characters alignment, this is so they don't look so cookey cutter and generic between characters, the book's are not chosen by the players (because everyone will go for the bad ass one :P). There are three pools that one book is randomly taken from, one pool for Good, one for Neutral, and one for Evil, with say 4 types of appearance for each pool. Good and neutral books are called 'Spell Book', evil books are called 'Grimoirs'.

2) Alignment shifts will result in evil players having what are essentially 'good books', or good players having 'evil spell books', adding to the system and a characters complexity because the spell book is unchanging and precious. Its not a mere book that the player just discards and re writes when he feels like it. It is with them throughout his or her life.

3) The spell book is dropped on death in the players back pack, or on the ground like a players weapon.

4) An automated script adds the characters name to the book on entry into the game world so you know this is a genuine spell book for that character and not a purchased book from a store. This is so that players will do everything they can to retrieve there own spell books after death and not just buy another from a store because its easier, but they also have the choice to buy from a store if there own book is lost, or temporarily stolen, they then work on getting it back, and can still legitimately cast spells from a roleplaying perspective. They can then choose to discard the purchased books if they like if they retrieve there own original book.

5) Sorcerers don't get them on creation, but players could buy them from shady merchants if they wanted too, so if you where a sorcerer who wanted to keep a loose collection of information this is how you could do it, also if you where a wizard and you lost your book this is also an option for you, but the purchased ones from the merchants look like generic purchased books and they don't have any of the appearances that a genuine Wizard spell book has from the wizard pools, they should be tagged with a different name and there is no system in place to rename the item for players. DM's shouldn't rename them either.

6) Anyone who becomes a wizard by taking the wizard class after level two can purchase a generic book in game from a merchant, but the generic book isn't 1gp, its expensive...cost unknown but I'd say at least 500gp, it  is an essential tool for a wizard and is core to his or her class. This also discourages loosing it.

MistJumper

• Outlander
  • the weremink!
Re: Wizard Spell Book; On entry
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
I say good idea, if and only if, a wizard can share spells with another via the book.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
I love the idea. Maybe then garda can take away spellbooks so to make wizards harmless.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
If we're going to implement such massive mechanical impediments to playing a Wizard, can we retcon out all the equipment items that have already done so much to "level the playing field" and nibble away at the Wizard's niche abilities?

It's kinda ridiculous to further gimp a class that's already had so much done to nerf it. The entire paradigm of "Spellcasters are Quadratic while Melee Fighters are Linear" goes out of the window when the Fighter can toss a Disjoiner or two at the spellcaster and then resort to IKD spam. Now you're suggesting that a class's entire abilities be undone by some mechanical system -- even Paladins don't have it that bad! (A Paladin Falling is usually RP-driven, after all.)

I mean, this suggestion is all about creating further class restrictions -- and restrictions centred around one of the most uninteresting features of playing a Wizard, in my opinion. Did you see Gandalf the Wizard obsessing over a spellbook and fearing it might get stolen and reduce him to the state of a clever Commoner? No. He got on with his shit and beat up some orcs. The Vancian obsession with spellbooks won't create RP if it merely makes players more afraid of conflict than they already are.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
Fortunately, Disjoiner potions can not have enemies as the target anymore. They can still be thrown onto the ground, but you no longer have to fear getting your buffs stripped away from you en masse like before.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
Fortunately, Disjoiner potions can not have enemies as the target anymore. They can still be thrown onto the ground, but you no longer have to fear getting your buffs stripped away from you en masse like before.

That's good news, but I think my central point is still strong: such mechanical methods of stripping a class's abilities are really bad form. If you're going to reduce a Wizard to a Commoner, it should be RP-driven and DM-supervised.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
As it stands, any Wizard can already RP having a spellbook by simply purchasing a book that can be held. It can even be arranged between two consenting players that should this spellbook be taken, the wizard would be penalized until the spellbook is regained. All of it can be done with a little planning, imagination, and RP. Everyone wins in that scenario. On the prospect of this being a mechanical feature, I fully agree with this:

That's good news, but I think my central point is still strong: such mechanical methods of stripping a class's abilities are really bad form. If you're going to reduce a Wizard to a Commoner, it should be RP-driven and DM-supervised.

From how I see it, it is already entirely possible to RP a wizard having a spellbook, with the potential RP of this being limited only by the imagination and consent of the players involved. Making a spellbook a mechanical feature does admittedly seem like an interesting concept to me, but I feel like it has too much potential for grief, and the reward of such a system wouldn't be worth, IMO, the effort that would have to be put into by the devs, given what can already be done with a little imagination.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Not only what aprogressivist said but I can see other ooc issues and problems that can be concern. Especially by players that can be a little aggressive and abusive.

For example.

If garda believe witches have books then they can enact a law that says books can be destroy. Then start searching potential wizard characters forcing them to comply. Then take them all by force even necessary. Think your lvl 2 or 3 wizard has a chance. Nope. And if they do not comply, bam. Bounty on them.

Another thing can be possible is a player can go and wait for a wizard to be around especially lowbies. Pummel them and take their books and make them powerless. Turn around and sell them to other players. Forcing something out of the lowbie.

I'm sure there are more ways this can be abuse and it isn't good the wizard class. Though customizable books might be something a wizard may want as part of RP. Just don't make them drop it from a little battle that most times than not a lowbie doesnt have a chance.

You will force more people to play sorcerers instead of trying wizards. Making the wizard class more difficult than it already is.  

Badelaire

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
As it stands, any Wizard can already RP having a spellbook by simply purchasing a book that can be held. It can even be arranged between two consenting players that should this spellbook be taken, the wizard would be penalized until the spellbook is regained. All of it can be done with a little planning, imagination, and RP. Everyone wins in that scenario. On the prospect of this being a mechanical feature, I fully agree with this:

From how I see it, it is already entirely possible to RP a wizard having a spellbook, with the potential RP of this being limited only by the imagination and consent of the players involved. Making a spellbook a mechanical feature does admittedly seem like an interesting concept to me, but I feel like it has too much potential for grief, and the reward of such a system wouldn't be worth, IMO, the effort that would have to be put into by the devs, given what can already be done with a little imagination.

+1

We don't need enforced mechanics when we're all adult enough to RP aspects like that and agree on them mutually. There are countless things NWN doesn't do that PnP does. Changing one aspect of a class to reflect PnP seems one sided when other classes remain unaltered. Why don't Rangers, Blackgaurds and shadow dancers have access to the magic they should for example? NWN's is an imperfect tool.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:07:26 PM by Badelaire »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
I disagree upon the enforced mechanics and book drop, though I find the idea of starting off with a book quite interesting. If there could be apparent new models for books, neat. Always have to go to the bookstore of the residential district whenever I try to start a wizard.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:47 AM »
[Ahems]

IRL when am working with people and comes a brainstorming session, there's an easy technique not to hammer the bringer of the idea into the ground with disheartening oppositions, and to shadow the possibilities of an idea with a storm of gathering cons, jumping into a whirl of negative inspiration, everyone concentrating on the "Why this is a bad idea".

As every idea has at least as many cons as pros. So I am curious if the community is able to gather at least as many pros by the OP as many cons had been posted.

Leading by example.

One wizard with multiple spellbooks maybe? Meaning --> Different spell setups? "Hey let me use my arranged anti-unded spell collection"

It would offer wizards some nifty new, cool looks everyone's aiming for. After all wizard and his book is like the barbarian and his great axe. Inseparable. So at least let it have some good looks.

To encourage book use maybe a wizard book item given on entry that is wizard only use, and offers extra spellslots when in hand, and when resting having the book applied.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:45:36 AM »
I don't play spellcasters that much, but that could really bring in a fun atmosphere for those who do. It's nice :D

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

PsychedelicShroom

• Undead Slayer
  • Crazy...
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:18 AM »
I read and reread the original suggestion and I dont see any suggestion of mechanical enforcement of the spellbook. It's all RP, except for when you receive it.

I  like the idea

winters idea about the extra spell slots is a way to promote the rp use.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 06:45:31 AM »
Having the spellbook drop on death is a mechanical enforcement. It'll promote metagaming; suddenly even every magic-ignorant Barovian peasant will know how to identify and seize a Wizard's spellbook. And, as has been pointed out, the griefing potential is massive.

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:33 AM »
I read and reread the original suggestion and I dont see any suggestion of mechanical enforcement of the spellbook. It's all RP, except for when you receive it.

I  like the idea

winters idea about the extra spell slots is a way to promote the rp use.

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't suggest any mechanical implimentation of anything, I didn't suggest enforcing stripping of spell casting abilitys, this idea is a roleplaying concept centred around the importance of the Wizard spell book, its a roleplay tool, nothing more, I wouldn't support any sort of spell casting restrictions on any player through loss of the book, I decided to ammit that as I thought it would result in a poo storm of epic proportions.

Having the spellbook drop on death is a mechanical enforcement. It'll promote metagaming; suddenly even every magic-ignorant Barovian peasant will know how to identify and seize a Wizard's spellbook. And, as has been pointed out, the griefing potential is massive.

Weapons drop on death, and those weapons could hold any number of tempoarary or permament enchantments, which dosen't lead to massive grieving problems. Your assuming the majority of our player base are griefers, which I don't beleive they are. I don't think your giving people credit where it is due.

dark_majico

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »
I disagree upon the enforced mechanics and book drop, though I find the idea of starting off with a book quite interesting. If there could be apparent new models for books, neat. Always have to go to the bookstore of the residential district whenever I try to start a wizard.

I actually meant these items, the equipable book your thinking couldn't be altered without a hak edition and some remodeling.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't suggest any mechanical implimentation of anything, I didn't suggest enforcing stripping of spell casting abilitys, this idea is a roleplaying concept centred around the importance of the Wizard spell book, its a roleplay tool, nothing more, I wouldn't support any sort of spell casting restrictions on any player through loss of the book, I decided to ammit that as I thought it would result in a poo storm of epic proportions.

If it's simply a roleplaying tool, then it raises many questions.

- Why should a spellbook drop and not all other books?
- Why would a spellbook be automatically identified? What singles out a Wizard's spellbook for identification in the eyes of, say, a common Barovian?
- If this roleplaying tool isn't about strictly enforcing anything, then you're opening up the scenario where Bill the Wizard ignores that Charlie the Rogue stole his Spellbook, because he feels Charlie metagamed and just loot-snatched. That's going to create discord. Who's going to have to resolve that?

Whatever flavour this is supposed to bring or problem it's meant to solve, it's over-engineered. Like Badelaire said -- if the purpose is simply to RP, then let's just trust each other to be adults and keep things simple and consent-based.

Weapons drop on death, and those weapons could hold any number of tempoarary or permament enchantments, which dosen't lead to massive grieving problems. Your assuming the majority of our player base are griefers, which I don't beleive they are. I don't think your giving people credit where it is due.

And yet only held items and gold drop on death -- the server staff didn't go the full-blown CoA you-lose-everything-on-death route. If you want to take a sensitive item of equipment from someone's inventory, you generally need to talk to them and RP with them about it. Why should spellbooks be different?

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
I don't think it raises any questions, and I think your over complicating things.

- Why should a spellbook drop and not all other books?

All other books are not connected with this idea, or the concept that they are of grave importance to a wizard, that they are a core concept in that characters class. Would it bring any benefit to the players for all books to drop on death...no. Would it bring posative roleplay for a wizards spell book to drop on death, yes. It opens up countless possibilitys. Does it open up the potential for meta gaming, yes but its a small potential, and I feel the community as a whole is grown up enough to police itself in these matters to a great extent. We face this possibility every time we play a wizard (and many other classes). He meta gamed my +1 staff I dropped when I died...he meta gamed my low HP...he meta gamed that a 4 HD goblin with CR 2 beat me in melee combat...he meta gamed my familiar...he meta gamed my name floating above my head...he meta gamed im wearing a AC0 armor appearance and not full plate...

- Why would a spellbook be automatically identified? What singles out a Wizard's spellbook for identification in the eyes of, say, a common Barovian?

Thats a matter for in game, you know that perfectly well, you are an experianced roleplayer. This sort of things is handled on a daily basis when merchants have items on the ground.

- If this roleplaying tool isn't about strictly enforcing anything, then you're opening up the scenario where Bill the Wizard ignores that Charlie the Rogue stole his Spellbook, because he feels Charlie metagamed and just loot-snatched. That's going to create discord. Who's going to have to resolve that?

The players will resolve that, and failing that the CC might get involved. Why are you even asking this question?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
I don't think it raises any questions, and I think your over complicating things.

It's your system that's overcomplicated; I'm not the only one pointing it out.

Would it bring posative roleplay for a wizards spell book to drop on death, yes.

What positive roleplay benefits that can't be matched by simply RPing the book being taken by two consenting players?

The players will resolve that, and failing that the CC might get involved. Why are you even asking this question?

Because it leads me to a very simple point: if your suggestion creates more work for the CC because some players are going to metagame the system, then it's a flaw. You need to acknowledge it and address it, not ignore it.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
What positive roleplay benefits that can't be matched by simply RPing the book being taken by two consenting players?

Let us not be ignorant to the fact that a Wizard of any proficiency is not going to arm himself with a solitary spellbook. Furthermore, even if one's spellbook(s) were removed, it does not spontaneously annul the magic which the Wizard has memorised. It is effectively impossible to account for the former, as discriminatory scripts for the contents of each spellbook (the actual spells) would need to be fabricated and databased. Nothing like this should be impressed upon PCs in the absence of their acquiescence. We are rational individuals. Come to an agreement between players. Problem solved.

I have seen Druids in heavy armour conjuring storms. Which is more asinine - the compromising of their pledge? A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter. Or the fact that they are conjuring a tempest in broad daylight whilst in full plate armour? It is up to the players to establish a definition of sanity. Not a script.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:17:58 AM by The Prophet »
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Badelaire

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 10:46:30 AM »
Read this:

Preparing Wizard Spells

A wizard’s level limits the number of spells she can prepare and cast. Her high Intelligence score might allow her to prepare a few extra spells. She can prepare the same spell more than once, but each preparation counts as one spell toward her daily limit. To prepare a spell the wizard must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level.
Rest

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.

Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions

If a wizard has cast spells recently, the drain on her resources reduces her capacity to prepare new spells. When she prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells she has cast within the last 8 hours count against her daily limit.

Preparation Environment

To prepare any spell, a wizard must have enough peace, quiet, and comfort to allow for proper concentration. The wizard’s surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions. Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw the character might experience while studying. Wizards also must have access to their spellbooks to study from and sufficient light to read them by. There is one major exception: A wizard can prepare a read magic spell even without a spellbook.

Spell Preparation Time

After resting, a wizard must study her spellbook to prepare any spells that day. If she wants to prepare all her spells, the process takes 1 hour. Preparing some smaller portion of her daily capacity takes a proportionally smaller amount of time, but always at least 15 minutes, the minimum time required to achieve the proper mental state.
Spell Selection and Preparation

Until she prepares spells from her spellbook, the only spells a wizard has available to cast are the ones that she already had prepared from the previous day and has not yet used. During the study period, she chooses which spells to prepare. If a wizard already has spells prepared (from the previous day) that she has not cast, she can abandon some or all of them to make room for new spells.

When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. That sort of preparation requires a mind fresh from rest. Like the first session of the day, this preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if the wizard prepares more than one-quarter of her spells.

Spell Slots

The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

Prepared Spell Retention

Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it. Certain other events, such as the effects of magic items or special attacks from monsters, can wipe a prepared spell from a character’s mind.
Death and Prepared Spell Retention

If a spellcaster dies, all prepared spells stored in his or her mind are wiped away. Potent magic (such as raise dead, resurrection, or true resurrection) can recover the lost energy when it recovers the character.

Now see how inherently flawed NWN's system is. 3 hours later, sit your ass on the ground and you have a full set of spells memorized. Something might look nice on paper but become a crutch in a real-time played out game. A fine example of being a solid roleplayer to play to the handicap of no spells was Rhymo whose character put her spellbook in storage for 2 weeks and didn't cast a single spell, ashamed at some things said to her about the flippant use of magic like a toy. Accepting how this affects how your character is the mark of a true player, without the need for anything mechanical to do the thinking for you.

To point out the section in bold, this is why wizard's favoured score is intelligence. The process of information. They are effectively memorizing a page for each circle number of spell which is why they are able to cast spells they have already read without needing to refer to their spellbooks. So the idea some might have of removing the book, removing the power is actually false.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:54:12 AM by Badelaire »

Badelaire

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
And to just detail how involved the arcane is for a wizard:

Arcane Magical Writings

To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell. The writer uses the same system no matter what her native language or culture. However, each character uses the system in her own way. Another person’s magical writing remains incomprehensible to even the most powerful wizard until she takes time to study and decipher it.

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in another’s spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell’s level). If the skill check fails, the character cannot attempt to read that particular spell again until the next day. A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Once a character deciphers a particular magical writing, she does not need to decipher it again. Deciphering a magical writing allows the reader to identify the spell and gives some idea of its effects (as explained in the spell description). If the magical writing was a scroll and the reader can cast arcane spells, she can attempt to use the scroll.
Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks

A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured. First, the wizard must decipher the writing in the book (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Once a spell from another spellcaster’s book is deciphered, the reader must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level) to prepare the spell. If the check succeeds, the wizard can prepare the spell. She must repeat the check to prepare the spell again, no matter how many times she has prepared it before. If the check fails, she cannot try to prepare the spell from the same source again until the next day. (However, as explained above, she does not need to repeat a check to decipher the writing.)

Adding Spells to a Wizard’s Spellbook

Wizards can add new spells to their spellbooks through several methods. If a wizard has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, she can learn spells only from schools whose spells she can cast.
Spells Gained at a New Level

Wizards perform a certain amount of spell research between adventures. Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast. If she has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, one of the two free spells must be from her specialty school.

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll

A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Next, she must spend a day studying the spell. At the end of the day, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from her specialty school. She cannot, however, learn any spells from her prohibited schools. If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into her spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, below). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

If the check fails, the wizard cannot understand or copy the spell. She cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until she gains another rank in Spellcraft. A spell that was being copied from a scroll does not vanish from the scroll.

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level x50 gp.

Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.
Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook

Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.
Time

The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.
Space in the Spellbook

A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.

Materials and Costs

Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level.

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If she already has a particular spell prepared, she can write it directly into a new book at a cost of 100 gp per page (as noted in Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, above). The process wipes the prepared spell from her mind, just as casting it would. If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.

Selling a Spellbook

Captured spellbooks can be sold for a gp amount equal to one-half the cost of purchasing and inscribing the spells within (that is, one-half of 100 gp per page of spells). A spellbook entirely filled with spells (that is, with one hundred pages of spells inscribed in it) is worth 5,000 gp.

dark_majico

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »

Let us not be ignorant to the fact that a Wizard of any proficiency is not going to arm himself with a solitary spellbook. Furthermore, even if one's spellbook(s) were removed, it does not spontaneously annul the magic which the Wizard has memorised. It is effectively impossible to account for the former, as discriminatory scripts for the contents of each spellbook (the actual spells) would need to be fabricated and databased. Nothing like this should be impressed upon PCs in the absence of their acquiescence. We are rational individuals. Come to an agreement between players. Problem solved.

I have seen Druids in heavy armour conjuring storms. Which is more asinine - the compromising of their pledge? A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter. Or the fact that they are conjuring a tempest in broad daylight whilst in full plate armour? It is up to the players to establish a definition of sanity. Not a script.

I'm fairly sure all the source material indicates wizards make use of one spell book, there is no mention of multiple books.

It's your system that's overcomplicated; I'm not the only one pointing it out.

Would it bring posative roleplay for a wizards spell book to drop on death, yes.

Because it leads me to a very simple point: if your suggestion creates more work for the CC because some players are going to metagame the system, then it's a flaw. You need to acknowledge it and address it, not ignore it.

By your arguments any system we have in place that allows even the slightest possibility of meta gaming, and there are a hell of a lot in NWN, shouldn't be included because it could potentially cause more work for the CC, that makes no sense, our community is clearly not made up of grieving meta gaming trouble makers who can't be trusted to play nice. You have played her long enough to know we have a very mature player base.

There is nothing overly complicated, its a suggestion to give wizards a Book tagged with the characters name that they can use as a roleplay prop, that drops on death. That's it, Book, name, drop, three things. You have missunderstood and had a pissy fit knee jerk reaction complaining that I'm suggesting we gimp wizards further and get out the Nerf, wrong.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:58:53 PM by dark_majico »

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
Hey there Majico :)
Your basest level of proposal has no issues per se... But as a former DM and CC I can most definitely state I would presume an issue would arise where a Wizard casts a spell and the other party states that should not be possible because they are not in possession of their spellbook. You can see how that would REQUIRE scripts to avoid the he-said-she-sad ad nausea... Right? Having a script that names a book item upon entry would be nice, dropping it, well... Seems to create a ton of not easily resolvable issues really. It would be a DM team nightmare.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
question! does the entry store sell books? I assume one could use that to repersent a spell book. I agree that there shouldn't be any mechanics involved though.