Author Topic: A hunter's query - Journal and notes of Giles Emry  (Read 24015 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Re: A hunter's query - Journal and notes of Giles Emry
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
The return of the sands

I am back and again in the middle of things. The most notable was a meeting with this Tutumose I have been hunting for a year at least. He is like a fox, cunning, slipping out of my hand every time. But my only lead at the moment to find Kiron. Or at least his bones.

The meeting confused me on the identity of this person. He is either the best actor I have seen and leading me by my nose, or someone who really despise the cult of Set.

According to his tale, his children were butchered by the cultists and ever since he sworn to aid those who agree him to hunt and hurt the cult. A truth or a lie hard to tell, but the tense was visible on him whenever he spoke of the cult. Fear and hatred. Things I know too well. I saw a drop of tear in his eyes even.

If I assume he is telling the truth the previous agents working on this case failed utterly. Mihas was trying to accuse this Merchant of being a cultist himself.

Tutumose grew cautious as he was tried to be assassinated in every corner and his origin did not help him neither. So due to this ill reputation none offered him aid. At the moment it seems someone is again trying to kill him, providing him false reports that would lead him and his workers to death.

I need to see this through, playing along to see where the lies end and where the truth starts.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:47:48 AM by Winter83 »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 05:02:28 AM »
Emry's rangers

We grew thin and weak. Most of those who follow the Code I haven't seen or heard of. Despite my "public absence" I had been around watching the guild. And dark clouds gathering on the sky. Without hesitation I have to train a reliable group of rangers. For the Wayfarers? Maybe. But alas they would be of more use as unknown hunters.
I need the eyes and ears in the vast forests of Barovia. To keep my finger on the pulse of the growing darkness. The wolves, the outcasts, the changers of skins. They all feel the change coming.

Yes, I want them to be rangers, not simple hunters. There is difference between the two. Subtelity, cunning, the mastery of wilderness and survival, scouting and tracking. A precise hand, the skills necessary to deliver death even when needed. Swift and silent and calculating.   

One special group of the Wayfarers. One very special group.

[A copy of a hand made poster slipped between the pages]

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »
Shadows, knives and hearts

It happened all to fast. Before I could react and prevent the disaster, Sekhet was laying dead on the ground. A hollowed out snake tooth filled with venom, as I learned it later.
Crowds are nest of vipers are asps. Anyone could have been the killer.
An old man was taken into custody. A well-known caliban instigator, expendable, aged,  a perfect candidate for the Snakes to have him mind controlled for the deed.
The Merchant fears for his life. Pharazzah is their final destination. They are long gone by now as I am writing these lines.
And Isu. She gave me the creeps. A large ruby ring pulsating on her finger drinking in the light as she whispered her vision. Shadows and knives. A decision to be made. Loss. Pain.

I fear for Kaeyna. The Snakes strike at the soft spots. They move in the shadows.

It will be quite some time before I can train enough skilled rangers to be useful against these shadows lurking.

Simon is a fool, his assumptions compromising the safety of my Queen of hearts. He fails to understand the meaning of Subtlety, discretion.
Next time I hear him talking about me to anyone, I make sure he will be one tongue less. He played his last chance.  He has a long way ahead to become a proper ranger. But maybe losing his tongue will be a good mentor.

The Circles are on the move. Observe, track, learn. The Wayfarers are thinned and scattered. It has many advantages. I need only the best of the best, those who are capable to survive. The weak are consumed by the land. Only the useful remain.

[The following lines added a little later, a very different ink and handwriting, almost as some mantra, copied and copied again over and over through three pages]

The Hunter is void of emotion,
The solidarity falls first.
Compassion the next.
Devotion makes Him fail.
And all the others come for the rest.
The Hunter observers and learns. 
And he earns no recognition.
He is the tool in the Cycle. Not the judge.
As he is the tool in the Cycle. Not the judge.
He is a tool, not a judge.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:07 AM »
Cater to the Hollow

Silence before the storm, the dark clouds dot the skies. Falkovians, darklings, snakes.
Responsibility is a burden.
Lack of discipline and attitude I witness in many. Useless material for the Circles.
The reputation of the Wayfarers are stained to say the least. For the better or worse, this also provides me less and less material to observe. They know nothing.
My redemption to clear my name in Mordent is so close I can almost touch it. Finally the return is at hands reach. The air in Barovia suffocates, every day I have been given is a gift.
Kaeyna's presence make it more endurable. I intend to ask her to come with me to Mordent and leave the madness behind.

[The unusual different handwriting, which does not resemble of Giles']

Two new names on the page stained with blood and ink. Two had been desired to be pacified.

Blackmoore and the White witch.

The hunt begins.
No conscience.
One Motive.
Cater to the hollow.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
The snow covers it all

I should have kept her away from me from the beginning. But I could not resist neither, drifting into it, losing myself in the lightless forest of dangerous emotions.
And now there it is. The day arrived. They took her from me.
Which first started as a game received a deadly twist. They were only waiting for the opportunity to strike. Micheal couldn't know.

And when a glint of hope appear that shape changing fey ruins it all. I should have made sure my arrows ended his life.

A life for a life.

Where are you sweet girl?

I promised you a life.
A life for every drop of blood they take from you.
And will let it be covered by the snow.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
Treading on snakes

The messenger arrived as was expected. quiet threats changing hands so as the offer. Retrieval, infiltration.
Five men died that night in the tavern for a few pieces of paper.
Lives for lives. But it is not easy. Never is.

Hearts burning with fire, treading the lands of the sands. They know nothing. Yet they dare.
What is the worth of a hunter not knowing the prey?
What is the worth of a hunter uncapable to change the skin at will?
What is the worth of a hunter blind and deaf?

They are not hunters. Just simple men and women worried for Kaeyna.
They knew nothing.
And emotions hold a danger. Concern and desperation are a blade.

Dawn arrived and the exchange never took place.
Because of the men who search.
I am watching them from the rooftops. Vladimir, Micheal.
Driven by concern and vengeance.

The snakes never show when they are sought. The steps on the sand make them retreat back to their holes.
You should have known it. I should have told you.
Such is their nature.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
Sweet vengeful dreams

Sleep for the first time since her abduction. Sweet dreams. Serenity. Almost unimaginable relief. She is back again, at my side.
But there is a promise to keep. A life for ever single of her blood they had spilt.
On the market of slaves I saw them beating her up, again and again. The marks of the snake bits on her skin still visible. The pain she had to endure, starved and without water.
The Snakes have much to pay for. All my leads in Barovia are gone however.

Perhaps Steel, this old friend of mine in the Port can track me down the Ship, and the home of Tutumose. She was once close to me, and I try to maintain a good relationship with her. She deserves it.
New clues to be found.
But now only vengeance that drives me.

I saw Diamond for the first time in months. A liar she is. But always been a useful one. Perhaps it is time to face her. See what can be achieved. She is alive after all. Not dead as I was suspecting.

Shadows of the past.
And the sweet dreams.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:08:42 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »
Scars on the world

Emotions. The deep and strong ones are lashes on the soul. Tearing up the void. At the moment of parting life, they create the scars on the world to never heal. Apparitions, born from hatred and vengeance. Ghosts and poltergeist, longing, crave, love. Each a mystery, a sad tale.
Last tear of a hung man melting and twisting the reality, and a new horror arise, a ghost craving to ends his owb misery but only finds himself succumbed more to the dark, lost in agony.

Vampires, clinging to the remnants of their humanity. Dead eyes reflecting care and love to their own kin. Lust in their eyes, more than a simple crave for blood. Love-bonds. 
I heard them saying burial words over their fallen kin. Remorse.
I witnessed them showing hints of concern. Dead-joy behind glassy eyes, when they held the hands of the new dead-girl they welcomed to their coven.

Death is as much part of the cycle as life. Some pursue it zealously, however the children of the night wish to be left alone as much as we long for peace.

Van Richten wrote about the beast within the heart of the men, and I am inclined to believe that we as mortals leave worse scars on the world than some of the old night's children.

I am a hunter.
Not better than them.