You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Proper Subraces for Calibans  (Read 1216 times)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Proper Subraces for Calibans
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
The topic Subrace relevels gave me the idea to start this one.

By the topic mentioned I learned that the stat changes made by subraces are now "hardcoded"on the character. That is: They no more appear as if they were temporary buffs to a stat, and also now count on the final score for feats when characters level up. Maybe the system could now be reviewed. Not all calibans have to be muscular and broad as the half-orc template.

So I was wondering.. The Fraternity of Shadows has on their library section, a specific issue (Issue #8 - Aberrations and mutants) dedicated to monsters, and to our dear calibans(page 67). I was wandering if we could finally have the correct bonus to these caliban subraces, because as of now, one must start as half-orc and have the default permanent +2 Str -2 Int -2 Cha. And it's a bit of stats wasting if people, like me, want to play one of the different 5 types of calibans, depicted below.

Spoiler: show

Caliban Traits (Banshee)
•   +2 Cha, -2 Con: Banshee Calibans are hauntingly beautiful and charismatic, but frail of body and often succumb to illness or the sword.

Caliban Traits (Bestial)
•   +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha: Bestial Calibans are powerful, but lack intellect or social finesse.

Caliban Traits (Brute)
•   +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha:  Brute Calibans are strong and very tough, but mentally they are lacking.

Caliban Traits (Cannibal)
•   +2 Dex, -2 Cha: Cannibals are misshapen and constantly consumed with vile thoughts of lust and gluttony, but move with the grace of an assassin.

Caliban Traits (Witchspawn)
•   +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con: Witchspawn Calibans are charismatic and intelligent but quite frail and weak, as their Arcane power seemingly drains their bodies constantly.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Re: Proper Subraces for Calibans
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »
The problem with Banshees is they aren't identifiable.  They just look like really beautiful but weak people.  There's no real drawback to that (such as being driven away on sight or looked upon as a monster.)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Proper Subraces for Calibans
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
We've already discussed those templates in the past and decided against using them since they are not really canon. You can inspire yourself with them to create character concepts though. The only truly caliban subrace is the Howling (Wailing) One from Mordent and we already have it.