You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Constantin Vadim  (Read 1271 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Constantin Vadim
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
Constantin Vadim

Marital status: Widower
Family: 4 sons

Radu Vadim (18)   son                              : Recently married to Ilona Lupescu, living in Berez
Constantin Vadim the younger (16) son      : Working for a boyar near Berez
Jadek Vadim (17)  son                              : Deceased
Anika Vadim  (13)  daughter                     : Working for a boyar near Berez
Georgiu Vadim (45) brother                      : Smith in Berez
Alexandru Vadim (38) brother                   : Shopkeeper in Berez
Mihas Vadim (35) brother                         : Farmhand in Berez

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
The first steps on a long road
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
Barovia - Vallaki - 767th year

Here I sit in Vallaki's Broken Bell's inn. Been a half year since I came to the town from Berez, knowing all my children are in good hands of my brothers' family.
It was a decision I had to make, a hard unu, not something a man willingly does.

Life in Berez is nu easy, never is, nowhere is. Yet I received unu occupatije here in Vallaki. Dimitry Luminutus the local smith sent a letter to my family that he was seeking for able men helping him knowing my family gave many good blacksmithes to Barovia. An occupantje I could nu refuse.
The family is big, with mult hungry mouths, and now as Alexandru's health turned for the worse it is even harder to keep up.

I am nu a young man yet still full with spirit. Alexandru my dear brother always said I am the heart of the family, not even my wife's death could make me bitter and worn.
I am nu business man yet I promised them that I will bring back enough wolf-fangs so can help little Radu settling down.

The rash boy married into a wealthier family than ours and now it falls upon us as a shame that I was nu able to offer them enough. A shame I would not allow to spoil the relationship with the Lupescus. My son deserves more than that.

They may call me an adventurer in Berez now, starting such an endeavour at this age instead of just working on the fields until my hair turns white and unable to lift the scythe any longer.

Nu, the Vadims are destined for more. I gave four children to the land, did my duty, now it is time I do something more before my time here is done.

Let this small book record my struggle.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:18:07 PM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Account
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
[The back of the journal is a small account, accurate, letter are written in tidy lines]

Account, Year 767, July

Investments:
2 oxen - 200 wf
Upkeep - 40  wf
Tools    - 84 wf

Income:
Deliveries and minks : 755 wf
Wages : 70 wf
Ingots supplied: 6 copper for 12 wf
                       12 iron for 5 wf

Expenditure:
Dagger templates (80) : 80 wf
Helmet templates (2)   : 18 wf
Room & food & drink    : 60 wf
Wages                       : 50 wf

Balance: 677 wf
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:36:18 PM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Re: Constantin Vadim
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:16:01 AM »
On my routine travel to the fishing lodge I met a young girl called Ileana Lupe. She is of high born but she lost everything to political schemeing, rebels, outlanders. Her family business ruined, her name humiliated. Yet she has the strength to carry on. There is something common in the doi of us.

I heard tales about my family, that my grand-grand father used to be a boyar, but some feud, bad blood with the Lupescu, made everything the opposite. Now they sit in the Vadim manor, and my family works for them. What is true about these rumor, unknown for me. Yet I know that my father was very keen to have me educated, have me learn writing and counting. He said it is a useful skill for a craftsman family like ours, but I know he had a different reason behind it.

My hot-headed son married one of the Lupescu girls, and now I having headaches how to display a wealth that would cease the constant insults and mocking of the Lupescu.

Ileana agreed to help me set foot in Vallaki, and in exchange I agreed to help her regaining her titles. A fruitful relationship this can be.

Yet I have to realize that from smithing alone I can nu acquire the wealth that would ease my son's life in Berez. Have to meet the important people of Vallaki, and find new revenues.

Will see how it turns out.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »
The wares are sold cheap often not worth the investments. A template usually costs more than the tool I can fashion from it. Scythes, hatchets, pitchforks, hammers, pickaxes. I barely made a couple ten wolf-fangs a day.

There is a great injustice I am witnessing. Foreigners exploiting the mines of Barovia, exploiting the forests, hunting carelessly in the woods, wasting pelts for the woms even. Then they use all those resources against us. Arrows made from barovian ore used by the bandits, thugs and cuthroats. Swords and armor trained in barovian smithies turned against us.

The foreigners, each carry an attire and equipment worth a half-year if nu more wage of a honest man.

This is nu fair, nu just.

Just the other day I witnessed unu fey hauling large sacks of ore out of the Zeklos mine. He claimed it is for arrows, even refused to purchase mine. He claimed it is for his own use. I ask, why would unu man require more arrows that would even supply a small army?! Probably he was supplying his own thugs and mercenaries to prey upon the unwary travelers and traders.

The immigrants are like a big scar on the body of Barovia, festering. Unemployed most of them, loitering around aimlessly, watching the people passing by as a cuthroat picking his next target. And our garda are getting soft on them. Do they even pay taxes? Nu honest work can earn unu such wealth they carry on their own body.

I approached a foreign domna in the Broken Bells last night. Pretty sight, arrogant and vain. Said she is a trading representative of the Red Vardo. Even offered my an opportunity to conduct business. I am asking myself would I sleep well if I work for unu organization that supplies armaments for foreigners? An organization that can nu show unu honest barovian worker?

My heart is heavy, watching Vallaki wither under foreign influence. They may be small in numbers but unu immigrant with their foreign customs cause more trouble than a full invidian detachment.

If my trade going as planned I might be able to offer some work. Miners, cargo loaders. Nu will say Costa Vadim is nu a reasonable man, nu giving a chance to foreigners.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
Trade starting to develop on the outpost. Every day new faces arrive, some offering assistance some bringing materials for exchange. We are trading mostly with Vallaki and delivering supplies along the Svalich road up till the Balinok river. Little profit, the taxes and wages take away most.

I sent a letter to the Wachter boyar watching over these lands, waiting for his reply. I hope we get a personal audience. Haralamb aiming for a garda position in their lands, and also helping me in the smithy. As for myself I hope I get permissions for trade or at least confirmation on possible  trade routes.

Can barely wait for the flooding in Krezk to be over and once again traffic start to flow through the outpost.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Mining Logbook
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »
[One different page behind the accounts at the end of the journal - Mining logbook ]

Iliescu mines - Zeklos outpost - Wachter province, borderlands

Day 1 :
35 lumps of copper
24 lumps of tin

Day 2 :
25 lumps of copper
18 lumps of tin
"1 miner injured from a shard splinter"

Day 3:
30 lumps of copper
20 lumps of tin
"No injuries, minor repairs on the old Smelter were required"

Day 4:
0 lumps of copper
0 lumps of tin
"Unu iadul copper-fey excavated the upper layers all for himself to make arrows. For him and for his thugs I recon"

Day 5:
31 lumps of copper
28 lumps of tin
10 lumps of iron
"We struck an iron vein this ziua! They boys were celebrating"

Day 6:
5 lumps of copper
6 lumps of tin
"My wound started to fester, and I became all feverish. Could nu continue work. Iadul lups"