You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Sun Under Castle Ravenloft  (Read 709 times)

ravenloftny

• New to the Mists
The Sun Under Castle Ravenloft
« on: August 12, 2022, 12:00:51 PM »
Hello,

Newbie here, first time posting. Hello to all. There is something that I swear I remembered reading in the 2nd edition Ravenloft book, but I bought the book again recently and discovered it was NOT in there.

I could have sworn I remembered reading something in this edition where there was a discussion about how to escape Ravenloft. The text was mentioning how no one really knew a way. However, in passing, it mentioned something about how there was "a piece of the sun" buried beneath Castle Ravenloft, and if adventures unearthed it, the curse would be lifted, and all of Ravenloft would go back to the prime material plane.

Also, I am positive it said "the Sun," NOT the "Sunsword," which of course is something completely different.

I cannot find any reference to this on discussion boards, Reddit, etc.

Can someone else confirm if they ever read such a thing? If not...well, this was my last ditch effort to see if anyone else had ever heard of it. If it's a bust, then I will just find some other method for my PCs to get out. However, I thought it would be pretty cool if I was right, and this myth really had been mentioned somewhere.

Thanks.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: The Sun Under Castle Ravenloft
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 01:05:10 PM »
Maybe it was in the gazetter about Barovia?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 03:19:05 PM »
I believe what ye seeking isn't in a game book but more one of the novels written about Ravenloft. And I think what you refering to is a rendition to a version 2 of the old table top optional lines of Ravenloft 2. I don't think its an actual sun just piece of an artifact. Might be mistaken.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Anastian

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »
I also do not recall about this specific piece of lore (read all of the manuals at the time, AD&D and onward). The only way that I am aware of for escaping ravenloft is, ultimately, in the hands of the dark powers (i.e. the DMs). If you manage a non-evil actt of defiance so incredible to cater the attention of the DPs, you might be granted a way out. Mark the non-evil, as if you were to seek escape through evil means you'd most likely end up becoming a dark lord.

In one of my oldest pnp campaigns, a barbarian made it out after being beaten, tortured and almost killed after trying to shelter his wife from Strahd's wrath, for example. He was misted away while burning on the pyre.

This at least is my understanding of how escaping from ravenloft has ever worked!
Almerino Delafuerte Delmar, Thuzmoc Rockfeller
Franco Calibardo (Shelved), Bartak Ardson (Shelved), Dagor Berenil (Closured)
Discord: KhubilaiKhan (Sononabestia)#8746

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
Unsure about the source material but in the server's history there have been a few escapes.  It's definitely not something your character would enter the world knowing about, though.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 05:30:53 PM »
Welcome on the server. Do not hesitate to reach out if you need advice. I recommend you join our Discord channel https://discord.gg/s7gzzjyf, plenty of veterans will gladly assist you in all you need.

There is purportedly a single reliable portal out of Ravenloft. In the lair of a quite nasty being that would not let you use it, and even then that might only be a rumor to lure the unwary. That place isn't on our server anyway. In intent and purpose, "escaping Ravenloft" is very much a metaphor for redemption and heroism. It takes a rare act of selflessness to be allowed out by the Dark Powers.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.