Author Topic: Proposal for design of a server reset voting system  (Read 3013 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Proposal for design of a server reset voting system
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »
Dunno if Soren has put much thought into this yet but I figured I'd put some ideas down and see what sticks, in case it helps. I've been trying to come up with a system that would work functionally to allow a player voting system to initiate a server reset, without it being abuseable and remaining convenient and non-invasive. Here's a procedure that I think makes sense:

VOTING

-> When inside the OOC lounge areas, any player would be able to access a "Initiate server reset vote" command from the rest menu If three different players employ this command within a one minute time window, this will initiate a server wide chat option.

-> The text "A server reset vote has been called, please vote @YES to register a vote in favour of reset; please vote @NO or abstain to vote against this." is broadcast to all players.

-> A five minute timer is started.

-> Players make enter a command (e.g. @YES) to register a positive vote; or another (@NO) to register a negative.

-> IF the number of @YES votes exceeds ( >= ) 50% of the server population, the automated server reset procedure is called.

-> ELSEIF the number of @NO equals or exceeds ( > ) 50% of the server population, the vote is aborted; a cool down on the voting initation procedure of 1 hour prevents voting being spammed.

-> ELSE. The five minute timer runs out and the vote fails; 1 hour cool-down, etc.

-> DMs would have the ability to veto a vote.

RESET PROCEDURE

-> A 15 minute timer is started.

-> Every minute, a warning is broadcast counting down to the reset to inform players. (e.g. "Warning: server will be reset in <x> minutes.")

-> DMs can abort the reset at any time.

-> Once the timer runs out, the server is reset.

Just some ideas on how to make it functionally user-friendly. :)
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
Re: Proposal for design of a server reset voting system
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
If such a thing were to be employed you may wish a longer cool down time and less frequent pings leading up to the reset.Maybe at the 15, 10, 5, 3, and 1 minutes marks. So that it don't impair communications as people prepare for the reset.  There is also going to be problems with lag affecting response times.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
  Let's not forget that sometimes there will be dead players waiting for rescue and such. that's why I think a server reset should be done if YES exceeds 80% or even more.
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
Rather than a 'Vote Reset', i'd suggest at a certain time of the day, known to be a dead point on the server aka, when the player base is at it's lowest, generally in the late USA timezone and early EU timezone, it auto resets, once every 24 hours, lagg will be no issue i would imagine.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Rather than a 'Vote Reset', i'd suggest at a certain time of the day, known to be a dead point on the server aka, when the player base is at it's lowest, generally in the late USA timezone and early EU timezone, it auto resets, once every 24 hours, lagg will be no issue i would imagine.

I think the concern is that these auto scripts are unstable and generally do more harm than good.
: )

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »
Had a very similar system on home server..

though I recommend least 5 players to start a reset

only a warning at the 15 10 5 and 1 miniute marks

server reset cannot be veto after the 1 min mark

Not sure if it should be based on current server population, but..a certain amount of votes within a time frame.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
Good points raised :thumbup:

I think Soren was already leaning towards a voting system...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
I think a % of the players online would be best. A small, static number might be easily abused.
: )

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
i would go for the % aswell.

but it should be able the counter of logging and logging off people  that really messes up a count.

50 players online vote starts  the systems counts 50 players so 26 votes needed for a reset   but suddenly 3 people join or 3 leave take your pick    then what?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Xarnata

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:25:21 AM »
Nothing. Every warning timer, If timer >= 5, get x - where X is number of server inhabitants. get y - where Y is number of  X with VETO marker. If  2Y >= X+1 end reset period. ELSE If timer =< 1 End VETO COUNT

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Hey guys, just want to thank you for your input here. There'll be a voting system in place by next update, more or less as you suggested (features should be self-evident from in game).

The command will be "@vote reset" - and to vote yes or no, it'll be "@vote reset yes" and "@vote reset no".

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Woohoo :)

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
:dancing:

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »
Hey guys, just want to thank you for your input here. There'll be a voting system in place by next update, more or less as you suggested (features should be self-evident from in game).

The command will be "@vote reset" - and to vote yes or no, it'll be "@vote reset yes" and "@vote reset no".

anyone can ask for the vote??

cause i play some shooters that have voting options and boy does that get anoying every few mins some type of vote ban this ban that mute this mute that skip such skip so  etc etc,  so not sure this is the best aproach.       

please do add a rule that includes a warning or somthing, cause i can see people voting once  not getting the result they wish and start one again.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
and ofcourse  YEEEEEY

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
Well, Soren did say it would be more or less as Apro outlined above, so I imagine there will be a cooldown on it or some kind of limit to how often a vote can be called.