Author Topic: Village of Barovia : Feedback  (Read 4096 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Village of Barovia : Feedback
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Heya,

Trying to "live" in the village without actually looting the areas around, and it drains the coffers terribly fast.

The area around the village is filled with resources, plentyful, but there's a lack of revenue if one character wishes to stay there for a longer time, for living and not for action seeking.

A warehouse clerk accepting supplies like crates, weapons, any crafted stuff would be pretty neat. I know it is a low income, but better than anything, especially If I merely wish to play a humble craftsman there.

And other acceptable jobs there as well, like we have fisherman and farmer in Vallaki, the village could use one also.

I am pretty sure on the long run it might help for player to stick around that area much more.

Also an ox stable, where one can sell the vallaki oxen after deliveries had been done? Actually, ox deliveries is rather difficult as the ogres make minced meat from the puny oxen in no time. Risking that route twice, one that way, one back totally not worth it. Maybe, push the ogres a little further away from the path so it can be traveled more easily?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:40:23 AM by Bastellus »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Village of Barovia extra Features
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
In a sense, it would be counter-setting to make the Village too much of an economically-viable hub*.

However, I think low-level jobs like you suggest would work, especailly if they're highly discriminating over OCR (so that only Barovians or high CHA/Influence PCs can get jobs there).

+1

*:
Spoiler: show
because the Burgomistress is an indulgent wastrel who squeezes the life out of the community in order to pay up her taxes, amongst other reasons; and living under the shadow of Castle Ravenloft...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
but cannon wise its bigger then vallaki so i dunno maybe winter is right
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »
but cannon wise its bigger then vallaki so i dunno maybe winter is right

No it is not.

Vallaki is a small town with 1, 547 with a gp limit of 800 while the village of Barovia has a population of 535 nearly a thousand less and a gp limit of 200.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
doesnt mean it cant be bigger
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
It could be bigger in size. (I am not sure right now) Its just it has lot of abandoned houses.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

It doesn't really need to be bigger. I think what Winter was simply saying was, add the actual dynamics of jobs. Small jobs that the normal, mundane locale would be working while living in the village. The jobs that pay little much like in Vallaki. Wagon wheels, crates, cogs, boots.. whatever the warehouse guy randomly collects at the warehouse, heh dunno all the items so :P

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »

It doesn't really need to be bigger. I think what Winter was simply saying was, add the actual dynamics of jobs. Small jobs that the normal, mundane locale would be working while living in the village. The jobs that pay little much like in Vallaki. Wagon wheels, crates, cogs, boots.. whatever the warehouse guy randomly collects at the warehouse, heh dunno all the items so :P

yea, this would be good for the place, mundane jobs are good *Nods*

also if anything vallaki should be smaller.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
While on this topic again, is there anyone who can clarify the requirements for these jobs?
Even on my native (Barovian / Gundarakite) characters I can't seem to get accepted as a farmer. Haven't found the fisherman job yet.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
I have no problem getting these jobs, whenever I'm playerside (yes, I do go playerside once in a blue moon); what's the CHA of your characters? That might have a lot to do with it.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
I have no problem getting these jobs, whenever I'm playerside (yes, I do go playerside once in a blue moon); what's the CHA of your characters? That might have a lot to do with it.

Last one I recall trying it with was a Gundarakite Sorcerer, so I'm guessing rather high.. or at least quite far above the average starting char. 16?

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Yes, Winter means the reaaaly mundane jobs around the village. Helping the farmers, selling crates, wagon wheels and stuff for the local warehouse. Little things with low coins.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
I am more curious about courier requirements. As a monk with faster speed then any other char I was told that I am not fast enough for that job.
As for the Village I think there also could be a bounty office aswell like in Vallaki.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:33 PM »
means we return to the old discussion of moving hubs,   im still in favor adding such things there so ppl would make more use of the village i find it more the barovia feel then vallaki.

vallaki is to big the staff even said so themselves but beeing the beginning place well it is what it is cause that is what it needs to be.

the village is bigger land wise i think it was due to having more farms and such, and yes the burgowench made it so that there arnt any nobles there each resident there is stuck there cause of her.

so giving the village these upgrades would promote it allot better, i think a banking system would also help it allot.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
Only reason I have to go back to Vallaki is being low on funds. Small jobs would help to stick to the village more persistently.

My toon is not a dungeon-farmer, or tomb-raider, so that way of gaining assets enough for basic survival is shut out. But can take away long boring hours if I can work around the village, while none there to RP with.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
there are ppl around   just need to know who and where.

Badelaire

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Some means of small, low-paying self sufficiency would be very plausible centered on desired trade skills. I really think that the VoB's ML temple is one of the most neglected places on the server and was central to a great deal of the history and mystique surrounding the faith in Barovia and the setting's history. With all those dungeons around it, a gaggle of adventurers based there would certainly profit well and not just in monetary terms. There is an incredible wealth of lore to discover just from the pages and notebooks scattered about regarding the past.

This may be an odd analogy and one not many people may be familiar with but if you've played STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, you'll know intimately the different faction bases dotted about. The village in the cordon represents the noobs, the characters with little money or the equipment to be able to make extended forays into the Zone. That's the outskirts to me.

The Duty Base/Bar 100 Rads is easily accessible by reasonably well armed and armoured STALKERS and serves as a staging point for further encroachment into the Zone's more deadlier areas. Again, to me that's what the VoB and nearby travel to the Mist Camp represents. Yeah, odd analogy I know but the only way I can think to describe them.

People often say they go to the outskirts because that's where the RP is. It's not the case, it's just where everyone lingers for whatever reason. I made an RVT nub from Kresk for NCE to guide other RVT wannabes. It wasn't needed at all. So I hopped onto my main and had him waiting it out till the gates opened, drinking, eating, taking walks in the dank, gloomy air now and then at the VoB. He met characters he's only ever heard of via report and reputation and the encounters made him (and me!) want to seek out those characters again. NCE forced the established characters into a niche and I think it did very well for those who found interesting new people to RP with and breath life into characters that were perhaps stuck in a rut.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:07:52 PM by Badelaire »

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." -W.S.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Heya,

Trying to "live" in the village without actually looting the areas around, and it drains the coffers terribly fast.

The area around the village is filled with resources, plentyful, but there's a lack of revenue if one character wishes to stay there for a longer time, for living and not for action seeking.

A warehouse clerk accepting supplies like crates, weapons, any crafted stuff would be pretty neat. I know it is a low income, but better than anything, especially If I merely wish to play a humble craftsman there.

And other acceptable jobs there as well, like we have fisherman and farmer in Vallaki, the village could use one also.

I am pretty sure on the long run it might help for player to stick around that area much more.

Also an ox stable, where one can sell the vallaki oxen after deliveries had been done? Actually, ox deliveries is rather difficult as the ogres make minced meat from the puny oxen in no time. Risking that route twice, one that way, one back totally not worth it. Maybe, push the ogres a little further away from the path so it can be traveled more easily?

Agreed; encourages RP and the RP flavor of the server.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
From memory the expansion of mundane jobs, along with other methods of acquiring healing in the village has been in the pipeline for a while now.  I think its just a matter of time & available people to implement these systems.

I am in the mind that this link might be a solution http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
From memory the expansion of mundane jobs, along with other methods of acquiring healing in the village has been in the pipeline for a while now.  I think its just a matter of time & available people to implement these systems.
Yes, initially only Vallaki had jobs for testing purposes. Soren has also been super-busy with school up until very recently.

I do have a list of other things I want to add to the Village myself, but I have not been terribly motivated recently...sort of like "writer's block" but for NWN. :-/

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." -W.S.
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
Very cool; nice to know it's in the works, even if it takes a bit. 

Thanks!

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:20 AM »
Yes, initially only Vallaki had jobs for testing purposes. Soren has also been super-busy with school up until very recently.

I do have a list of other things I want to add to the Village myself, but I have not been terribly motivated recently...sort of like "writer's block" but for NWN. :-/

You have to play and be in-game to get re-motived. Allow yourself being horror-tortured by the DM staff.  :lol:

(If you are not doing it already  8) )

Inviktus

• Undead Master
Re: Village of Barovia : Feedback
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 05:10:14 PM »
I find the well dungeon to be out of place for this sleepy village. 

Could we get it relocated, possibly to a hidden trapdoor entrance in the green suburbs of Dimentlieu? 

I'd like to see it replaced with the rope leading to a cave with a stream and a little camp, the sort of place a caliban might hide out when in the village.

I would be nice if the stream lead to a cave exit nearby.

The way it is right now I have trouble imagining why the locals haven't filled the well with stones to block it.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Village of Barovia : Feedback
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 06:16:17 PM »
The layout of the village, including said dungeon, is a nod to the videogame Strahd's Possession. We however have new dungeons on the work, some that may be placed in Dementlieu.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.