You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Politics in Ravenloft  (Read 12695 times)

Burrowfield

• New to the Mists
    • Mystic-Entertainment
Re: Politics in Ravenloft
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I disagree verpertilio. Secret agents and influentual council members are two different stocks. It wont be hard for a council to quickly establish a reputation of being heartless and strict. People will whisper advises not to cross lord (name) as he"ll have you hanged for smiling at the wrong time. The actual agents are secret yes, they report to these prominent non-secret people to have their observations vallued and acted upon.

Point is, waving around a plaque, paper or seal is unnecasery if you would create such a political dynamic.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
The past agents of the count, those that I saw over the years, tended to rely heavily on ic clout to make up for efforts ic.  Flashing a paper or a seal when you are supposed to be a secret agent and relying upon that ic clout of being backed by the ruler of a domain pretty much showed me that it isn't a very well suited role for pcs, but one which would be better enacted by DMs via npcs. 

+1

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
on city of arabel they used to have noble houses and pcs could app to be retainers for that house

seems like something that could be fitting for Dementlieu
maybe even add a Richemulot embassy to the city?

there are some wonderful ideas in the Ravenloft Supplement 'Legacy of the Blood' for playing distant relations of the known families as well

i think there are certainty plenty of great mature RPers here that the Dms could allow to app to be one of those distant relations no?

i think a noble house players can try and join as a retainer would be very fitting for Dementlieu

new faction mayhap?
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Lilianne

• Outlander
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
It is already possible to get involved with the politics of nobility in Dementlieu, Seraphim has spent a lot of time bringing life to Port-á-Lucine for anyone who spends time there. Barovia isn't the domain to find that sort of intrigue.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
There is a Major Campaign I got in the works for Barovia, highly political (for those who remember the Von Zeklos keep, its similar, aiming to incorporate the best of that, without the high magic), geared toward native PC's.

The areas of this campaign are almost complete - taking a bit of a reprieve, as I am busy with summer and RL stuff, but when time comes, we will aim at recruiting PC's (preferably new and native Barovian) to fill different positions. There's still a lot of planning to do, as it will be a campaign that will have (hopefully) a big impact on the module's persistency, involving many DM's casted in various NPC roles - coordination will be key on our part.

The title of the Campaign will be 'The War of Copper Knives'; it will showcase the struggles of the last remnants of what is 'nobility' and 'old nobility' in Barovia and foulplay as well as the many intrigues between them - PC's choosing sides, and affecting the course of it all - not to mention, several NPC's will never be the same too.

Stay tuned... :toffgoi:

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
The past agents of the count, those that I saw over the years, tended to rely heavily on ic clout to make up for efforts ic.  Flashing a paper or a seal when you are supposed to be a secret agent and relying upon that ic clout of being backed by the ruler of a domain pretty much showed me that it isn't a very well suited role for pcs, but one which would be better enacted by DMs via npcs. 
I agree completely, and this is why I no longer allow PCs to work for Strahd.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
The past agents of the count, those that I saw over the years, tended to rely heavily on ic clout to make up for efforts ic.  Flashing a paper or a seal when you are supposed to be a secret agent and relying upon that ic clout of being backed by the ruler of a domain pretty much showed me that it isn't a very well suited role for pcs, but one which would be better enacted by DMs via npcs.  

*Cough* Virgiliu *Cough*

This of course is an exception and I felt very privelidged to play such a unique character.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:26:22 AM by BalorVale »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »

*Cough* Virgiliu *Cough*

This of course is an exception and I felt very privelidged to play such a unique character.
That character wasn't an agent, though...more like a toadie. :P

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
The past agents of the count, those that I saw over the years, tended to rely heavily on ic clout to make up for efforts ic.  Flashing a paper or a seal when you are supposed to be a secret agent and relying upon that ic clout of being backed by the ruler of a domain pretty much showed me that it isn't a very well suited role for pcs, but one which would be better enacted by DMs via npcs.  

*Cough* Virgiliu *Cough*

That character wasn't an agent, though...more like a toadie. :P
Still fun :D Although now that I come to think of it. . . .

"I work for the count"
*Beats Virgiliu with stick*

. . .  Yeah. . .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:12:32 AM by BalorVale »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:20 AM »
Virgiliu is my 'fault'. ;)

My notes and early conception of 'Virgiliu' - note, no 'agent' in that humiliating conceptualization meant as a punishment:

[....]

Duncan did a lot of killing himself as a henchman and should receive gruesome punishment as well, he cannot walk out of this with a slap on the wrist. What he did far exceeds giving leniency. Perhaps turning him into a bestial-half human dumb-witted jail-keeper for the Vallaki guard could be doable - he would basically be a semi-slave for them, cleaning cells and performing all manners of services. We can change his name, appearance to something atmospheric. Forbid to leave the jail cell block unless otherwise stated - he wouldn't be able to anyway.

[....|

Burrowfield

• New to the Mists
    • Mystic-Entertainment
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
You made me a happy man :)

By the way, the story on the IC stout, it sounds like you did not regulate it properly because it does not sound properly rp'd. I don't see why you need the IC stout. You have the garda to go ''BY THE ORDER OF THE COUNT" the council should not even think of taking such position. And their agents are eyes and ears. Perhaps a few agents actually aprehend people, but rarely.

So where exactly does the IC stout come in? The reputation of the council should be enough, they are no secret.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:06:36 AM by Burrowfield »

Badelaire

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Having met Viktor Ruza and Talena Von Zarovich I can safely say they had IC clout,  a world of reputation, they had sheer force of presence and will for who and what they were and you listened and did what they asked of you without complaint. That just can't be emulated by a regular PC and as Vesp pointed out, waving a seal and saying "Do as I command, I work for the Count yo" doesn't have the same effect with mortal agents on account of said mortality.

It's something that can also quite easily lead to an over-inflated ego and sense of importance within the server's player interactions too and I do believe it's that hubris (at least ICly) that led to the downfall of various PC agents in the past for overstepping their boundaries but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:59:59 PM by Badelaire »

Burrowfield

• New to the Mists
    • Mystic-Entertainment
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
I see what you mean, so define and limit it as such you create a profitable result. If ego struck then those persons were roleplaying to win. Like me there should be people in this community who know perfectly well how to roleplay to lose (I mean wave a sword at my guy and it's done :P) point is, I don't mean PC agent's as in a faction you can dick around in and get acces to just like that. It should be very limited, an honor to join and above all well regulated.

Get people who don't rp to win and it should add a great immersive factor to the roleplay.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
I don't mean PC agent's as in a faction you can dick around in and get acces to just like that. It should be very limited, an honor to join and above all well regulated.

Get people who don't rp to win and it should add a great immersive factor to the roleplay.

All factions overseen by DM's aside, this is something that is achievable with you at the head of it. As a player, you are granted the liberty to establish such groups as you so please, however, such groups would not draw respect from their simple title (at first) but rather the leader's tact and know how in the leading of individuals.

Consider this hypothetical:

As a denizen of these here mists, I get knocked on the head, I now and forever more begin to see a light. I come to this conclusion, that I am meant for a greater purpose and am now going to consider myself an "Illuminati!" Through my interactions I befriend players in already high places with deceit, honesty or any mixture of character and action and as I gain these friends and more I induct them into the Illuminati promising great riches and powers (Perhaps I was a cleric to begin with and draw my divine energy from the Dark Powers sating my delusions?) Nevertheless time goes on, I make few enemies and soon enough, my guy is pulling strings with his political ties with buddies in both strange and I places...

Now, achieving some sense of renown and coming out as the cult leader of the Illuminati may be possible, or perhaps I decide it is a secret soceity and have my highest echelon of puppets answer to me... How it plays out is truly dependent on the dynamics of the population at the time however you can probably predict how some of the more static personalities would react, such as Strahd, Azalin, Dominic d'Honaire, etc. but the point is it all started with you.

Say for another case, you don't want to be a cult leader:

As an aspiring entrepreneur and opportunist, I learn that people really enjoy their potions. I begin an agricultural business focused on the harvesting and studying of foliage about the Core. I put my plans in action and my fortune to use in paying the wages of employees and making deliveries where I may, I soon acquire a profit and come into a sustained measure of wealth. I have then successfully entered the rich socialite crowd. At the top of my game I get to make money doing very little in the ways of labor. I can now throw events to boost my prestige. I could commission players to write plays to honor me, a ballad for my love interest, or hire an assassin to strike at my nemesis. And once again, it all starts with you.

There are a plethora of ways to enter the political scene, and moreover a great number of ways to do so with the immediate tools at your disposal. The DM's play a more reactive role and in that stance they await you to make the first move -- ingame. If you kick up enough dust, who knows, Strahd might invite you into his castle for dinner and proposition.

Ways to help ensure that your character's motives and achievements have been noted, begin a journal in the Biography section of the forum. DM's will be able to track your successes AND failures, as will other players get a kick out of a good read. :) Anyways, I hope this helped to motivate a selection of some path to politics :3

Burrowfield

• New to the Mists
    • Mystic-Entertainment
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Thank you for your reply Vaku, it makes sense. However in my experience being in such a political role often needs a ''superior'' figure. There's only so much you can do without having the dm's supporting you in one way or the other, I mean I'm being realistic obviously you can build a certain reputation etcetra but to really get something moving you'll need a position as describes earlier in the thread. I kept it broad because of the great ideas like tax collectors coming by, but in the end what I'm asking is the possibility of being a slightly more active political role in Barovia. 

Garland Blackmore

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
There is much political intrigue to be found if you know where to look.

Much of the Gundarikite Rebel faction is heavily based upon spreading propoganda and slipping the proverbial coin into greedy pockets.

The player of Belkast and his "Elven Coalition" tends to create quite a bit of animosity between the barovians of vallaki and the elves of degannwy. He doesn't show very often, however.

Maximillien Merda and his campaign against the Gendarme has also proved itself to be a core part of Dementlieuse mood.

All of which are completely player-driven. I myself led dozens of fruitless campaigns against the vallaki guarda, and almost enjoyed having my little rebels slaughtered whenever they decided to rear their heads. I had a PC whos actions almost destroyed the reputation of the Wayfarer's Kinship and came somewhat close to disbanding entirely.

It's all up to you, mate, if that's what you want in the server... MAKE it happen. Get enough PCs involved and the ball just starts rolling. The war between Dementlieuse and Falkovnia that's ongoing was also the product of PC determination.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
switching to native tongue sorry for those that cant read it.

er is wel politiek maar het is meer versprijd over groepen en factions dan dat het server wide is, barovia heeft wel invloeden van castle ravenloft maar niet al te veel omdat de burgomasters van de steden hun eigen zaakjes moeten regelen je kan uiteraard wel in favor komen bij een burgomaster.

beste plek voor politiek zou dementlieu zijn  daar werken ze echt met een systeem wat meer hedendaags is, dus er is een council der zijn trials  en ga zo maar door.

dus was je wil gaat je niet 1 2 3 lukken omdat als je het in barovia wil dan gaat er wat tijd overheen voordat je enige invloed heb met de gang van zaken, als spelers de zooi in handen hebben word het huilen met de pet op meer dan de helft heeft het niet in zich om dat soort rp neer te zetten.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »
snip

can someone translate this into english please?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
This is with google translate

there is political but it is more versprijd about groups and factions than it server wide is barovia does have influences from castle ravens loft but not too much because the burgomasters of the towns of their own affairs to settle you can of course be in favor come at a burgomaster.

best place for politics would be demented lieu there they really work with a system that is more contemporary, so there is a council of his trials and so on.

So you were going you would not 1 2 3 because if you succeed in barovia then wants some time before you have some influence with the state of affairs, as players have become the stuff in hands crying with the cap more than half did not in itself make that kind of rp to put down.

Burrowfield

• New to the Mists
    • Mystic-Entertainment
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
switching to native tongue sorry for those that cant read it.

er is wel politiek maar het is meer versprijd over groepen en factions dan dat het server wide is, barovia heeft wel invloeden van castle ravenloft maar niet al te veel omdat de burgomasters van de steden hun eigen zaakjes moeten regelen je kan uiteraard wel in favor komen bij een burgomaster.

beste plek voor politiek zou dementlieu zijn  daar werken ze echt met een systeem wat meer hedendaags is, dus er is een council der zijn trials  en ga zo maar door.

dus was je wil gaat je niet 1 2 3 lukken omdat als je het in barovia wil dan gaat er wat tijd overheen voordat je enige invloed heb met de gang van zaken, als spelers de zooi in handen hebben word het huilen met de pet op meer dan de helft heeft het niet in zich om dat soort rp neer te zetten.

[translation] There are politics but it's more scattered over groups and factions then being server wide. Barovia has a lot of influence from castle Ravenloft but not to much as the Burgomasters of the cities have their own business to take care of. You can obviously get in favor with a burgomaster though.

Best place for politics is Dementlieu, they work with a real system there that's more like something we know now. Er is a council and there are trials etcetra.

So what you want wont work as quickly as you would like because Barovia will take time to adapt, due to the way it's currently being ran. If players had influence shit would hit the fan. More than half the players would not be able to rp this properly. [/translation]

There's your translation!

I see, all I'm asking really is... are those Burgomasters players or DM's. If DM's how do I roleplay with them (apart from poking up to a NPC)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
I see, all I'm asking really is... are those Burgomasters players or DM's. If DM's how do I roleplay with them (apart from poking up to a NPC)

They are DMs, there is a lieutent of the garda and a sentrie of the ezrites in vallaki who are players but the burgomastters are DM NPCs; one gets involved through rp and poking the dms :P

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
barovia wise here are youre options.

the count (dm blue)   the count is not easely contacted without you having something major to provide.   (like our queen we dont bother either unless we have something HUGE and even that goes trough the proper channels)       he can be contacted ingame but usually a IC letter send in a pm trough the forum works best.

the burgomasters (vallaki and village)  vallaki would be dm heretic village would be dm seraphim, vallaki has more potential as there are more nobles/wealthy folks there, both can be reached trough rp motives, the vallaki one can be contacted same was as the count (thus a pm trough the forum)   or you play it trough the guard faction leader Eugen dumitrascu  (login puckwolf)

guard faction leader npc, Rank captain  dm Heretic AGAIN  go trough Eugen again or trough the forum pm wise.

then comes Eugen now this is a player  wich would be a more intresting aproach, simply ask any guard if they can let Eugen know you want a meeting.

you can also go the more darker path  contact the rival family of the ones in vallaki. (family name escapes me for a moment) that would be a more conflict kind of rp and could be very intresting.

ps/ herkles why the  H did ya wanna know what i typed?

pps/ as half of you forum users have told me 100 times by now i rarely make sense i at times rather type it in dutch so that the person that does know dutch does get my points or advice.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
I randomly came across this thread and read the part about the business mediator/contract specialist type for Barovia, and I think that's a really cool idea, would that position require any sort of official sanction since you're making decisions on behalf of the city even if they're minor, or would you just RP it out
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
Any position where you are making decisions for the city or other group has to be earned ICly