Author Topic: WHat happened to the Nights?  (Read 3160 times)

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
WHat happened to the Nights?
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
ok so started playing again and couldnt help but notice a lack of darkness in the night. is this a normal thing? is it a bug? or is it a problem on my end? posting this to find the awnser

her it is currently (TO BRIGHT!)

this is how i remember it

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: WHat happened to the Nights?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
Check your Gamma

Nurlithion

• Undead Slayer
  • Player name: gfgfgfgfgf
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Are you playing a character with Low-Light Vision or Darkvision? I used to always play elves, so when I made my main human character it took me a while to get used to everything being so dark.
Soren d'Deneith - Eberronian human two-bladed swashbuckler, headstrong but good-hearted and strong of arm.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »
Check your Gamma

yea, check your gamma settings as it looks like the ssettings have been turned up a bit in the first picture.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
Might have installed some overrides which change the graphics, including the darkness of the night.
Or perhaps removed some overrides you previously had that used to make the night darker.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
Well I see your problem. Ya got there a Morninglordian, and they don't take squat from the darkness, in fact, it's never dark around 'em. And your other pic, well that thar is an evil magician, it's always dark around 'em. Case closed!

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
never touched the gamma personally. i can of course but i dont think its the culprit. i did a fresh install of the game, i have overrides, but i downloaded the same ones i used last time, and dont have any that change the graphics, i only downloaded the ones that add trees/caves cielings etc. but thats it.

i guess ill have to mess around with it.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
just reduced the Gamma slider, it darkened it, but the trees are still glowing in the background.

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »
try removing the override folder and check the result. only way to be sure about the graphics.

dark_majico

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
Ive recently started to get that, I assumed it was something to do with fog effects? To me it just looks foggy, the area will go dark again randomly if you leave the area and come back. I dont touch my gamma and there are no overrides I have downloaded in the past 5 months, it might be something to do with driver updates.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »
Indeed, it is night fog. It is brighter at winter to reflect the increase light by snow.

dark_majico

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
It would be better if stuff like this was announced a little louder, some people will just think its a graphic bug and start doing re-installs and deleting overrides. I thought it might be fog, but then a little part of me also thought maybe its a problem with my drivers, but I left it alone because I thought it looked better anyway  :doh:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:25:41 PM by dark_majico »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
Well, true I guess, but it's nothing new. It's just the in game weather that's new. Can't predict the weather ;)

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
ah ok well that clears it up. i thought it was on my end.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
friggin danish scripting guroes.

they script so good that you think your at faulth  thats the true darkness here.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »
however there are a number of parts where it is so dark, that not even dark vision helps, and the brightest possible light source (gloaming candle 20 m bright)
barely enlightens the the two character space around you. One such place is the outskirts of dvergenheim, was that intended?
(At such places it is SO DARK that even with light source you can barely see the path you walk on!)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 07:00:24 PM »
I don't get that, but I have gotten a similar effect on the swamp map by the Village starting a couple of months ago.  Everything bright and monochrome.  Weird.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
however there are a number of parts where it is so dark, that not even dark vision helps, and the brightest possible light source (gloaming candle 20 m bright)
barely enlightens the the two character space around you. One such place is the outskirts of dvergenheim, was that intended?
(At such places it is SO DARK that even with light source you can barely see the path you walk on!)

For me its that the fog is ungodly thick, even in the summer times at night in the swamps and the mountains that not even ultravision or the brightest lantern cuts through it heh. It makes it bright, but a point where I have to squint cause it gives me a headache bright, not the I can see with the brightness bright :D If that makes sense

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
I don't get that, but I have gotten a similar effect on the swamp map by the Village starting a couple of months ago.  Everything bright and monochrome.  Weird.

I have noticed this at a few more numbers of places.
One is the map where the darkling lookout spawns just before the barovia village outskirts.
The ghakis basicly as a whole it is so as well.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
The aesthetics are tuned toward normal game gamma settings and a monitor setup of approximately 2.0 (1.8-2.2 is what is recommended.) Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated - see more here:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:31:05 AM by Zarathustra217 »