You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: BLAUSTIEN!  (Read 5692 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: BLAUSTIEN!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Blaustein has been used for at least two of the more memorable DM one shots I have been a part of over the years. Its a case where people think that if they are not the one who witnessed and partake then it must not happen.
That being said also, it is probably for the best that Bluebeard is not having a ball once a month either as it would happen too frequent to keep it interesting for the DM running it and playerbase who have seen it before. Macabre does run Castle Bluebeard very well though.
Its probably the one Domain that is implemented near perfection, I can not imagine how it could be any better, especially considering (Knas I think did it?) the person who made it was able to fit it all on one map, to really give the rocky shoal claustrophobia feel of the island.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

NecroDude

• Undead Slayer
  • ~Skype: thenotoriouscloak~ "The dead walketh"
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »
*shrugs* everyone has their own opinion :P

Characters: Morvis X'angondur (Secondary) Markus Shadebane/Julius Lightbringer, Wererat (Dead) Adrian Von Viklov (Main Character) Bash'ar Romenestos (Alt) Lillian Greyfeather (Alt)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
I made Blaustein and it was always intended to be a small domain with little going on, much like in canon. Not every domain has to be Barovia, Dementlieu or Har'Akir. Quite a few of these island domains are tiny pockets where a darklord rules like a tyrant over a tiny population. Blaustein's one of those places. It also wouldn't make much sense for the dungeon to be bigger than it is or the isle would collapse on itself; if you have a huge porous underground, then eventually the upper part will collapse (and it has happened many times in human history). Blaustein's focus is not on the dungeon anyway, it should be on the darklord himself. The dungeon boss should never overshadow the domain's darklord.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
It'd potentially fun to have some pirate crews based out of Blaustein... but you'd definitely need DM involvement to keep it fresh and entertaining.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
Some of the most fun I've had was on blaustine, actually interacting with the darklord himself.
It's not like the bigger domains where the darklord is hardly ever around and you only ever see him when you're going to die!

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
Some of the most fun I've had was on blaustine, actually interacting with the darklord himself.
It's not like the bigger domains where the darklord is hardly ever around and you only ever see him when you're going to die!

I bet Alana where busy there! Damn s****  :lol:

The realm itself seem to be a dump. I mean, some of those Dark Lords got vast nations and this guy got a small island? Is there any fluff/lore on how the "Mist" decide what kind of realm the person get?

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »

I bet Alana where busy there! Damn s****  :lol:

The realm itself seem to be a dump. I mean, some of those Dark Lords got vast nations and this guy got a small island? Is there any fluff/lore on how the "Mist" decide what kind of realm the person get?

Maybe, maybe he rules over the sea, and the storms and the waves like Poseidon? The small island is just a tiny place where he can host mortals and ground-walking people.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

dark_majico

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:06 AM »
For all intent and purpose Blaistein is complete. It's a tiny domain and I feel I got it right. It's not a big domain like our others.

What would be neat is if you took a trip from Blaustien on a boat to a destination somewhere and on the way there was a % chance of pirates boarding your ship, porting players to a dungeon area on board a ship (but fighting on top and below decks) that would be a cool edition and would give people an extra thing to do that wouldn't increase the feel of the size of the realm.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
What would be neat is if you took a trip from Blaustien on a boat to a destination somewhere and on the way there was a % chance of pirates boarding your ship, porting players to a dungeon area on board a ship (but fighting on top and below decks) that would be a cool edition and would give people an extra thing to do that wouldn't increase the feel of the size of the realm.

I considered it at some point. I used to play on an amazing server Tears of Artorin that used that system. The world was an archipelago and you would board ships that travelled around the isles and had a % chance of being waylaid.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

I bet Alana where busy there! Damn s****  :lol:

Maybe, maybe he rules over the sea, and the storms and the waves like Poseidon? The small island is just a tiny place where he can host mortals and ground-walking people.
No, the sea has its own darklord on a ghost ship. Bluebeard's entire domain is his tiny island. It's a dump as a result of his curse and as a reflection of his character.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002