You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Public Humiliation-Stockades  (Read 9041 times)

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
Re: Public Humiliation-Stockades
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
When the Garda was at its strongest, which is a time period, H is fond of remembering. It was not for the direct power of the Garda. But for their use of allies, built up by RP.
Its not difficult for the Garda to regain this posiiton, if they decide to do so.

Power is not always the direct power of the chars in a faction, but how they use the assets available to them.

Nah, the Golden Era was the Iorgovan/Elton reign.... Ahhh so many enemies, Citadel Politics and double crossing... [Becomes misty eyed]
Executions were performed in locations of convenience and security. The jail, the courtyard, the gallows past the church, on the Walls. It was up to the PCs and depended on the story circumstances.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
 :(

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
I prefer Eugen over Elton, but not Elton was a bad character or poorly played, he was a fantastic character. Its just that corrupt police can only happen so many times in a row before it becomes silly and Eugen has sort of brought a bit of legitimacy back to Vallaki Garda
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
I prefer Eugen over Elton, but not Elton was a bad character or poorly played, he was a fantastic character. Its just that corrupt police can only happen so many times in a row before it becomes silly and Eugen has sort of brought a bit of legitimacy back to Vallaki Garda

Elton was a bad guy yes but he wasnt poorly played, Elton was EVIL, its not the players fault for things that elton did, i agree that the player played elton beautifully. Eugen looks good compared to elton because anyone will look good compared to elton, but lets be honest Eugen can bring the pain when he needs to.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »
...if ppl think eugens a saint then stop and think twice cause he aint, in the long run eugen was smarten then elton and mihas.

Elton was the perfect corrupt guard he had relations up high politic wise he had it made he was more favored then eugen, he could get away with allot  while eugen cant.

mihas would have been among them if he just could his damned mouth shut,   i honestly believe it is good how it is atm    eugen survived it all and elton got exposed wich was bound to happen.

good job pucko seems you where the best of the 3
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Shadowthrone

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
Say what you like about so-called "golden eras," the guard has never been as true to the source material as it has been under Eugen and personally I prefer it that way. Puck plays a better Barovian than anyone, including myself, and the degree to which she cares about setting propriety is one of the things that make her the best faction leader we've ever had on the server.

As for public punishments, whilst it's true that they sometimes get attacked I don't feel that it happens all that often these days. Most people aren't stupid enough to make things worse for their friends by turning a simple public example into a mass murder and getting bounties on everyone involved. Rescues normally occur when having a bounty on your head is better than the alternative and when things have progressed that far then it's at the point when an execution will probably be performed inside the Citadel, and rescues are difficult once the corpse is in the vault. Furthermore, once you've attacked the Citadel then the Count will want your head and then it's only a matter of time before the character is rotting in Castle Ravenloft.

When all is said and done, playing a guard is always going to be dangerous because you will always be at a severe disadvantage when facing outlanders in PvP, but don't let it dishearten you from trying to run public scenes. You're going to take hits every now and then but ultimately those few scenes that go well and are fun for everyone involved are what make it worth it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:05:32 AM by Sheltatha »

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
 :twisted:
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »
I brought up when it was at its most powerfull, not when it was at its best. Chompy was far from the best period, personally I see the Eugene era, which is still going on as the best era for the Garda. Because they mostly allow anyone several chances, they try to be inclusive, and they present a very accurate representation of the garda.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
Just do the public scenes when 2-3 garda are online, imo.. no one is typically bold enough to execute a wholesale slaughter. Doing said things solo in the Outskirts doesn't make much sense to me, it's like a police officer being in a slum/ghetto by himself, policing drug dealers.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »
so i have 3 more bags of feathers who else beside sheltetha wants to put them up pucko's yano
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »
so i have 3 more bags of feathers who else beside sheltetha wants to put them up pucko's yano

:offtopic:

This is about stockades not who would be a better garda captain or how the garda faction is run

Ive been messed around by the garda faction many times and been removed from the faction for stuff i didnt think was fair too

But ive got no problem with Puck and how she runs her faction. If i was captain i would do it differently but im not so why bother giving Puck anymore stress. If i feel like the faction is actully being run badly and should be run better ill speak to the DM's and CC about it, The garda faction is stressful enough with out having OOC grief get in the way.

Its pucks faction let her run it if people have problems with it there are proper channels for disagreements.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:39:43 AM by Juice »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
This would also be fun in Hazlan too! though I do not think many go there to rp all that much.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:22 AM »
I've seen a few public humiliations and punishments by the garda playing here. All three were female elves. Coincidence?!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 01:53:38 AM »
I've seen a few public humiliations and punishments by the garda playing here. All three were female elves. Coincidence?!

Ive publicly humiliated some outlanders before but no elves 1 human and 1 halfling

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
It does look like things are less worse than how its made to look.

Its a constant receiving of guard players' frustrations about this that has me very concerned, PC guards also have threads about this sort of thing on their forums and does happen. I remember it seeing it happen plenty in my time too - then it becomes a thing where you ask yourself: Is it worth it? And its been pointed out, the guards have someone with exceptional patience leading them at this time and this is not something they will always have the luxury to have, so all the more credit to puckwolf, but don't mean that needs to be abused. But I guess here's hoping for something a little better if players are considerate about what the effect guards try to achieve - because the medieval, dark feel sometimes is seen through these public events.

As for 'golden era' - Iorgovan? Pfft, noob.

This era is the evolution of all eras, I'd be pretty sad if it wasn't. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:33:22 PM by Heretic »

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
It does look like things are less worse than how its made to look.

I agree. Not sure if you are aware but the following OOC post of yours, immediately became the IC body count even though it wasn't even close to the actual number, among other inaccuracies.

To prove this, I hear the Citadel just got steamrolled by a group of high level characters, killing about 50 NPC's, and PC's ranging from lvl 5 to 7. ;)

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
Are you sure about that Vespertilio or are you assuming? ;)

Here's what was reported on the guard forums &  the levels of the guards, I still stand by them, if you want to continue that discussion with me though, my PM box is open. Check the time of the post and check the bolded on the report. That being said, I understand you lack the full picture, as you do not have access to these reports made by guard characters.

Spoiler: show
Outlander Witch matching the description of "Romar" attacked the citadel, killing more then fifty men ..[etc]

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »

I do not have the full picture, correct, and I was not even there during the event. What I have seen is a misrepresentation between what I've seen in screenshots of the event and what has been talked about icly.  If you'd care to see these screenshots, or if anyone on staff would like to review them I'm sure those could be passed along.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
Its no need  - I think we all best put that event behind us and focus on the positives it may have brought.

As for the negatives, I'll just say this: that whole situation could have been best handled, starting with DM's and how it was handled, and we on the Team are aware of it, and taking measures so things occur better next time on that front.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
I think focusing on positives and working to improve upon what in hindsight could have been done better is how the server is where it is now, which is probably better in nearly every single way than when I first started here.

One thing I would support is more  public humiliation and events as they truly help to immerse the audience in the time period we try to represent, negative experiences over and over do tend to make us shy to try again though understandably
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:03:40 PM by Æmomina »
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Romar Notten

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Are you sure about that Vespertilio or are you assuming? ;)

Here's what was reported on the guard forums &  the levels of the guards, I still stand by them, if you want to continue that discussion with me though, my PM box is open. Check the time of the post and check the bolded on the report. That being said, I understand you lack the full picture, as you do not have access to these reports made by guard characters.

Spoiler: show
Outlander Witch matching the description of "Romar" attacked the citadel, killing more then fifty men ..[etc]

We never killed no 50 guards, and what was said in-character just yesterday was taken as ooc information ic by a previous post you made heretic and not to be the bearer of bad news, but it was a total of about 12 guards 5 of which was officers and 3 players, 1 player character guard fled, 1 npc guard fled and another just coward in a corner we never touched.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:19:37 PM by Romar Notten »

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »
This sure was an awesome thread, you guys! Keep up this level of stellar posting! :haw: