You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Public Humiliation-Stockades  (Read 9038 times)

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
Public Humiliation-Stockades
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
Do we collectively see merit in adding public humiliation, like stockades, as punishment minor offenses?
Perhaps the locks could be picked and the whole thing could be bashed open.
I suggested located in the market district in order to add an attraction to the city :D

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Public Humiliation-Stockades
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Of course, we'd then see outlanders rescuing their friends and murdering countless of peasants in the market square.

We've done this before, but it does not make much sense to keep doing these public displays or public executions when IC, the lives of commoners are put at risk of a mass murder. Guard punishment and executions often times are done behind locked doors for this reason.

Badelaire

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
Actually a fun idea. Used to play on a server where minor crimes were punished in this way and characters didn't sit languishing in cells for days on end. There was even a dart template "Rotten Fruit" you could buy off people to throw at the whoever was in pillory. Seems very fitting for the time period of various Domains in Ravenloft, Barovia especially. "Hero" outlanders who go on murder rampages should just face the same fate as any public enemy and find themselves interred in Castle Ravenloft's laders of ill omen and whatnot. You'd not go into Cormyr and kill Purple Dragons beacause it's a capital crime to kill cats so why would any mentally balanced outlander decide that a murder spree is warranted when someone's put in the stocks for a minor crime? Such punishment would be wide spread in any setting and a simple, if slightly ugly, fact of life. Leave the 21st century mentality at the door.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:09:13 PM by Badelaire »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
b-b-b-but it's mean  :(

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
stockades would be cool and a bit more civilized than the FLOGGING TREE

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
b-b-b-but it's mean  :(

Get a hold of yourself. This is roleplay, you're supposed to seperate your modern self from your character's mindset. Not base all your actions depending on your OOC buddies you swine, you absolute char you! [Sarcasm overload]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:00:22 PM by Badelaire »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
that was SO deserved.

you know what he said today?   pick a number and get in line.
so i picked 1   and he still didnt help.   the nerve slap him again.

but yeah to atleast try to stay ontopic:

public punishments are hard to do cause loads of people rather slay half the city to safe their buddy then to stop and think that they are worse then their buddy when they do so.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
public punishments are hard to do cause loads of people rather slay half the city to save their buddy then to stop and think that they are worse then their buddy when they do so.

Just do them on the citadel wall!  ;)

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
Half the criminal outlander population possesses a guard key as well. ;)

I can only sympathize with guard PC's on this one - I remember when each public display or execution of sort, turned into all guards being killed, prisoner that had been captured (perhaps after even the second time he'd been caught too) escaping, because guard players chose to run some cinematic outside for all to see, only to find death & frustration to a high level PC caster.

It is for this reason, IC, guard players run most of these scenes indoors, under closed doors - hard to fault them. Mind you, players are entitled to rescue friends, its good RP too, but when each attempt of guards trying to run something gritty turns into a big slap in the face, it is frustrating really - so its all about being considerate here.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »
Nothing went wrong with the one I had a pc involved in recently that I'm aware of.   I was told ooc by a garda faction leader that most were run in public unless the player wasn't comfortable with that on an ooc level, as a courtesy to the player not the pc.  Since there wasn't any ooc problem with it being in public and that's how the rp went, it was held in public. There was no attack or disruption to the proceeding and the ooc communication and considerations from my own point of view in regards to such things as scheduling on an ooc when it happened in game by the garda faction members was ace.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:30:03 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Badelaire

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
Consequences and repercussions. It's a dynamic world with its own laws and regulations in each land. When you think on it, these uppity outlanders from other settings who seem to be terminally psychotic in their actions and not even truly represent said setting of origin deeply are but a dangerous minority. So why would good, night fearing Barovian folk even tolerate them in their midst? Bull>Horns and so on.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
i..i...i.....im sorry badalaire but a post like that with a signature like that how can we take you seriously like that?
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »
i..i...i.....im sorry badalaire but a post like that with a signature like that how can we take you seriously like that?
Speak for yourself, dutchy. ;)
Gimme the GEP gun.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »
If you simply do this somewhere outside of town, there really isn't much to it for the garda.

You can simply lock a person into a pair of stockades, then come back to release him at the end of the day.. if he's hasn't somehow escaped.
Or if it was a very serious crime (although I doubt garda would do this?), leave him there to the mercy of the old night.. then come back for him in the morning if he (or parts of him) are still there.

Of course there will be people freeing others in lame ways, but those kind of people will constantly farm low level dungeons as well or rush into the church for heals constantly.
That's not the fault of the server or design behind it, but the players not respecting the RP policies. Either way, I think this wouldn't give opportunity for too ridicilous stunts if placed outside of the town walls.
It might even be a very nice and creative addition, a good optional punishment as opposed to throwing people in the (likely rapidly filling) prisons of Vallaki.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
Garda ain't seen anything until Eugen gets his torturing going on. Would not want to be in those cells. Public beatings and such are easy, but because it's a game, people are willing to throw away a level 7-8 PC to own some Garda, because they can hit that level in the space of 3-4 days. Had to resist the urge to mentally backhand a few players when Hrunt was arrested, for asking me OOCly if they wanted the place, and majourity of PCs up in flames, or jumped on the way to Vallaki.

I can understand why most executions are inside from a garda, and a non garda perspective. It's far too prone to overtly-powergaming PCs just rescuing a mate. It's a case of, if punishments were dealt according to the law, majority of the Outskirts would be in a jail cell, if not executed already.

Edit: Sorry to sound blunt, but there's no real soft way of saying that the garda, in general are treated ICly as a joke. They have laws in action, similar to our current ones in most countries. Try and interfere in the arrest of your friend by getting in the officers face, or threatening them.. you're typically looking at some form of punishment that isn't just a one-and-done punishment (which is in effect, concerning Vallaki, if people read the Laws/Regulations statues).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:20:23 PM by Misted_Horror »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
In my experience on this server, most Punishment and Executions in the last 3 years, have not lead to mass murder of garda chars, not saying they don't happen.

As to half the criminal community of Vallaki having keys, why is that H? perhaps because someone gives them out like candy?

By most players the Garda are actually not treated as a joke, but by certain players who feel its their right to always win, ofcoruse they are.

You need to stop exagerating the degree players go to break out their friends from avoiding punishment, it happens in perhaps 1/4 or less of the punishments done in public, and nearly always only when its ran by DMs. And the Vault of the Dead is considered a joke, because it seems like DMs are always ready to run an escape event, so it seems like its a revolving door policy.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
..people are willing to throw away a level 7-8 PC to own some Garda, because they can hit that level in the space of 3-4 days.

Probably my ineffective way of leveling and dying, but I don't think I've even had a level 8 char yet. So months is more accurate for me, 3-4 days is only if you continuously hit dungeons at every given chance.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
And most players really value their chars, more than to just throw them away like that.

If anyone does that, there is something wrong with their mindset I say, since thats clearly not an IC action, IC nearly everyone values their own life.

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
I was thinking stockades could be used for PCs that disrupt peace, don't cooperate with hood checks, ignoring orders, ect.   I wouldn't think there would be big rescue attempts with mass murder to save someone from a brief episode of humiliation.

I don't think it would be worth the hassle if it was going to lead to outlandish rescue attempts. Fruit and insult throwing was more what I had in mind.

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
You can only get Garda Keys form PC players. But considering most Garda PC's are less the lvl 7 it's not hard for a seasoned criminal to get them, or simply pay a MPC to mug a Garda for them.

The Vault of the Dead is being reviewed because of the recent events in the Citadel, the Garda are not a "joke" but they are one of the weaker factions in term of Raw power. They only power they have is political, and if you call that bluff? Killing and assaulting them is easy, and the consequences are very final, but also easily avoided.

Criminals and rebels will always be able to find a Garda to kill when they need one. Garda do not have the same luxury.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
When the Garda was at its strongest, which is a time period, H is fond of remembering. It was not for the direct power of the Garda. But for their use of allies, built up by RP.
Its not difficult for the Garda to regain this posiiton, if they decide to do so.

Power is not always the direct power of the chars in a faction, but how they use the assets available to them.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
When the Garda was at its strongest, which is a time period, H is fond of remembering. It was not for the direct power of the Garda. But for their use of allies, built up by RP.
Its not difficult for the Garda to regain this posiiton, if they decide to do so.

Power is not always the direct power of the chars in a faction, but how they use the assets available to them.

+1

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
we had a system for keys i can assume its not there anymore?

last time the keys got changed so not half the playerbase had them, it was decided garda could not hand over a key to a criminal/thief/whatever   without a dm present also there had to been a log of what chars possesd such keys  ooc wise  so that it could be overseen ooc wise how it was spread out.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »
Actually a fun idea. Used to play on a server where minor crimes were punished in this way and characters didn't sit languishing in cells for days on end. There was even a dart template "Rotten Fruit" you could buy off people to throw at the whoever was in pillory. Seems very fitting for the time period of various Domains in Ravenloft, Barovia especially. "Hero" outlanders who go on murder rampages should just face the same fate as any public enemy and find themselves interred in Castle Ravenloft's laders of ill omen and whatnot. You'd not go into Cormyr and kill Purple Dragons beacause it's a capital crime to kill cats so why would any mentally balanced outlander decide that a murder spree is warranted when someone's put in the stocks for a minor crime? Such punishment would be wide spread in any setting and a simple, if slightly ugly, fact of life. Leave the 21st century mentality at the door.

Yeah that was great. announcements were made to encourage people to come and punish the wrong doer
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »

I support this, particularly the rotten fruit thing. I think it would be fun to do things like this hehe :P