You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Time and Weather monitoring suggestion  (Read 2340 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Time and Weather monitoring suggestion
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »
So I have an idea, I was wondering if could be implemented.
I think as of now, the only way to know the temperature, moon cycle and weather and wind is to go look at it under the rest menu.

So what I have in mind, is something similar to the way that players can get exhaustion updates in their log if they so desire by using the debug mode.
Would it be pausible that you could turn on an interval message that will pop up with the weather conditions and moon in your log?
It would be best if it was a mode that could be activated or deactivated to suit the whims of the player, something exactly like exhaustion. It would not have to populate as often as exhaustion though, could even just be when entering an area only that it would pop.

I know that some might consider that spammy, but it has some good uses for trying to roleplay a character who is sensitive to their environment.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
Re: Time and Weather monitoring suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
This isn't a bad idea. I like the thought of more people 'imagining' the surroundings the same :)

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I'd like if upon entering various areas more variable descriptions were given. I agree that when walking outside, being told the temperature and sky conditions would be great.

It could make interiors more alive and dynamic too. Perhaps the Lady's Rest usually warm and cozy but on occasion get hot and smelling of fear, or cold because the fire is out.
The sewers could vary in just what is smelling foul at any given moment and have a reminders about how dark it is and the necessity for a light source for most races.

Some areas already have triggered descriptions upon entering, like I believe Tigan's Rest and the Morning Lord Crypt.

Dynamic updates, such as weather would make the server more dynamic and could serve as a cue to do a little RP. I can't wait to see more PCs [shivers as evident by the light of near full moon] upon stepping outside.

I would also suggest distinct sounds be added to these descriptions, like the distant/near sound of wolves howling, wind wrestling through tree limbs made bare by winter, dishes clanking, nervous chatter of patrons, the sound of gurgling blood, the scamper of little feet fleeing.

I think it would be better if everyone got the environmental descriptions upon entering an area as opposed to needing to turn on a specific mode.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
Yeah, I'd like if upon entering various areas more variable descriptions were given. I agree that when walking outside, being told the temperature and sky conditions would be great.

It could make interiors more alive and dynamic too. Perhaps the Lady's Rest usually warm and cozy but on occasion get hot and smelling of fear, or cold because the fire is out.
The sewers could vary in just what is smelling foul at any given moment and have a reminders about how dark it is and the necessity for a light source for most races.

Some areas already have triggered descriptions upon entering, like I believe Tigan's Rest and the Morning Lord Crypt.

Dynamic updates, such as weather would make the server more dynamic and could serve as a cue to do a little RP. I can't wait to see more PCs [shivers as evident by the light of near full moon] upon stepping outside.

I would also suggest distinct sounds be added to these descriptions, like the distant/near sound of wolves howling, wind wrestling through tree limbs made bare by winter, dishes clanking, nervous chatter of patrons, the sound of gurgling blood, the scamper of little feet fleeing.

I think it would be better if everyone got the environmental descriptions upon entering an area as opposed to needing to turn on a specific mode.

it might be useful as well to have some clickable window placeables, or listners set up indoors near windows and doors that one can '@weather' near and get a little update on this information.

Sage - When stories come to life

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
This is now implemented, thanks for the idea.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:02:44 AM »
The option to enable the periodic messages in the feedback options doesn't appear to be working, at least not for me.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »
It was on for me, but I havent tried turning it off

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
The option to enable the periodic messages in the feedback options doesn't appear to be working, at least not for me.

Working in the sense of never sending you messages or in the sense that the feedback option doesn't switch?

Shadowthrone

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »

Working in the sense of never sending you messages or in the sense that the feedback option doesn't switch?

Both. :)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:49 AM »
I get messages as I enter new areas, but I cant enable it for some reason [in the feedback menu it asks me to enable weather feedback]

PS: Playing with the weather feedback setting seems to have turned off my xp feedback
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:57:38 AM by HellsPanda »

Shadowthrone

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
I just noticed that the 'Enable weather periodic messages' option is switching the 'XP gain messages' option.

Shadowthrone

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Working since the update. :) Thanks.