You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: How to change a portrait - possible?  (Read 2078 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
How to change a portrait - possible?
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:27:32 AM »
Found one for my char, but not sure if it is possible to ask for a portrait change and how it works.

Anyone know this?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

urathraviel

• Dark Lord
Re: How to change a portrait - possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »
Unless you already use a custom portrait this isn't currently possible without a remake.

If you do use a custom portrait you simply have to make the new one with exactly the same name and ask people to re-download and overwrite.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
So - all I need to identify which portrait is which and rename the old one to the new one?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
So - all I need to identify which portrait is which and rename the old one to the new one?

More like rename the new one to the old one, effectively replacing the files but not changing path in which the game searches for the files. The changes will only be visible on your end, unless, as mentioned above, you get everyone to do the same process (in most cases people won't).

i.e. NWN looks for "abc.tga" in your /portraits directory. Swap out "abc.tga" (old portrait), and replace with "abc.tga" (new portrait). Repeat for all the files - each one is a different size of the image.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:50:29 AM by DM Nocturne »

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
Though this will just lead to you seeing the new portrait. If you want to have everyone on the server seeing it then you need to do a full remake.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »
Though this will just lead to you seeing the new portrait. If you want to have everyone on the server seeing it then you need to do a full remake.

I think we have kids playing here, i don't want them seeing my Characters portraits It might be hard for them to focus on RP and might even give strange result.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Found one for my char, but not sure if it is possible to ask for a portrait change and how it works.

Anyone know this?

what portrait do you have for giles now btw? :)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »
It is possible. Only takes scripting, as everything... I've seem it on other servers, you interact with a NPC or something like the the mirror that exchanges head modes, then it works similarly, all one must do is go forward or back, choose, then confirm. I believe the script changes your character data on the server so it recieves the valeu of the new portrait(file name for exemple).