You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Info on Van Richten Society?  (Read 6447 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Info on Van Richten Society?
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
Perhaps not surprisingly, there's not much information available about these guys; not even from an OOC perspective. My Wizard just got tipped in that direction and OOC I'm not really sure how to manage that.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Badelaire

Re: Info on Van Richten Society?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
FOIG!!!

Buuut a few words about the desire to work towards such a goal with a DM (as I will be with a certain PC very soon) can help develop that.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
Well, we all know they employ really scary assassins.  Thank you, Norture's signature.   :lol:

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
The VRS is a secret faction with active players. If you possess qualities that the members deem appropriate you will be approached.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
so most chars are unfitted huh    a pitty
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
The VRS is a secret faction with active players. If you possess qualities that the members deem appropriate you will be approached.

If I can add a slight critique to that, our server's secret factions are far too exclusive in that they require a DM or member to actually take note of another character's actions and often the recruitment process is vague and many fitting characters overlooked. To use an example, the only reason my monk had a shot at trying out for the Ba'al Verzi was because I gave a nod to a sympathetic DM stating I wished to try this direction for the character which ended in very many bloody murders including poor collateral damage control on my PC's part and subsequent denial when he had no desire to go through with the final test. As awesome as the proceeds were, I have very little doubt he'd have ever been considered otherwise were I not to bring his concept to a DM's attention.

With my main character's subsequent departure from the RVT for various moral and personal reasons and his particular skillset and experience with combating first hand every creature and beyond Van Richten has encountered, you can bet your behind I'd be doing the same for him too were I to consider that a possible new path. Sometimes you have to bring your own character to attention if you feel they might fit into the more prestigious organisations because simply put, no one's eyes can be everywhere at once. Unless you're a beholder, then I'd be soiling myself.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:58:29 AM by Badelaire »

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
Buuut a few words about the desire to work towards such a goal with a DM (as I will be with a certain PC very soon) can help develop that.

Hasn't helped me so far :(.

And yet my Mordentish scholar who is very knowledgeable in the apropriate fields has never been approached by any of them :(. Oh well  :roll:.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:38 AM »
Niemen is not suitable for the VRS.

As Stygian Witch said, there are active players, and we are recruiting, DM attention is definately not required. No, we can't promise to see anyone all the time, however, there is an IC mechanism by which appropriate PCs will become known to us.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. Nice to know all the little private clubs and cliques are being just as petty as ever  :roll:.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:24:17 AM »
What Coat tried to say, in his direct and none diplomatic manner. Is that not every character is suited to be a member of every faction. Despite having the skillset, they might show of an aura of the wrong moral leanings. I highly doubt Tredow would be considered either.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »

The Van Richten Society has a certain demographic. Being a competent monster hunter, learned scholar or powerful magician is not quite enough. Characters need to have shown a number of attributes; reliability, trustworthiness, and most importantly dedication to the cause that Van Richten himself championed; do the right thing, whatever the personal cost, with no hope for recompense, reward, or even success. As Panda said, not many, and I would argue that in fact, very few characters fit this bill.

Characters that fit this bill do come to our attention, and are considered. Some other characters may well fit this bill, but as Baldaire has rightly said, may be unnoticed. If you feel this is the case, I encourage you to speak to myself, or DM Stygian Witch who heads up most of our stuff, and we can give advice on where to go from there.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. Nice to know all the little private clubs and cliques are being just as petty as ever  :roll:.

And this is why the super-secret factions tend to not be discussed publically. It's actually the opposite from the bits I've heard, open-recruitment factions tend to be more cliquish. Stakes are also higher for super-secret factions. If you screw up, expect permadeath.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:24 AM »

Posts like these coming from you or anybody will not be tolerated; perhaps if you didn't accuse everyone of being part of a clique that you weren't invited to become a part of. Maybe if you didn't insult people when things don't go your way, maybe you'd get more offers to be a part of things? Just a thought.

Badelaire

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
What Coat tried to say, in his direct and none diplomatic manner. Is that not every character is suited to be a member of every faction. Despite having the skillset, they might show of an aura of the wrong moral leanings. I highly doubt Tredow would be considered either.

Some key words I put in my post there Panda. "If" and "were" being the main ones. The difference between being cliquish and eltist is giving other people a chance based on what you learn of then in character, from the eyes of your own character's perceptions and not wholly assumed knowledge out of character. Much of this OOC assumption about Tredow's personal and moral leanings just because he's an RVT Captain (and probably the one with the most peacable and diplomatic reign when it's come to conflict and problems within) is amusing to hear. He burned down Tigans killing everyone inside (only for it to miracuously rise from the ashes like a phoenix), he waits outside lowbie dungeons and kills anyone trying to go in before him, he's a red dragon disciple, a weapon master who uses corpses for practice, he's evil alignment (despite only ever having gained lawful and good points throughout his life) and a myriad of other way off crap gossip mongers love spinning on the grape vine but I digress.

Giving people a chance and not dismissing them based on observations from the CHARACTER and not the PLAYER is how one avoids bad sentiment. Doing the opposite would be the elitism I speak of which is often rife in some player's mentalities. The Red Vardo is cliquish, it has to be to protect its interests and conduct its work. My inbox is inundated with requests to join which I struggle to keep up on. Even if I know a character is bad business or a player wants to join for all the wrong reasons I still try to at least reply, interview them, have others monitor them, find out where they drink, where they sleep, who they sleep with, who they call friends, who they call enemies, if they've a criminal record, what religion they follow, if they have a strong mental attitude, how they handle various situations and so on. That way I create roleplay for not only the person applying but also those already within the faction to sharpen their skills. If I based all my IC decisions on OOC assumption I'd be the only one sat in the faction twiddling my thumbs.

And regarding my Ba'al Verzi dropout example, that's specifically my point regarding bringing your own character to the attetion of others. If I hadn't mentioned wanting to pursue that line of interest he'd never have got the chance simply for being very under the radar. The whole point to his concept was someone trained to slip into someplace quietly and kill without a mess. If you asked around for him by name, I could count on one hand the PC's who could point you out to where he works. Obviously there's no assurance that saying "Hey I'm interested." is going to get you in but to be considered and vetted in character makes a player not feel like they're getting dropped on the wayside without a second thought. /rant.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:10:44 AM by Badelaire »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
I do not really know how to respond.

I was simply saying that some chars do not give out the right vibe ICly to be recruited to any faction. And that it wasnt some Cliquish behaviour about secret clubs.

Badelaire

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:22 AM »
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE and I have a hangover the size of mars. What I'm trying to say in my terribly longwinded way is vetting in character, doing the legwork in game is always a great thing for all parties even if you have no intention of ever letting character A into group B. Questioning aspects of a charatcer's life and decisions and having them laid bare in front of them. Like I say, the RVT IS cliquish but in the same way the Ba'al and VRS is and any other established faction but it's how you go about vetting PC's that can really make a difference in dispelling the notion that secret clubhouse X is an elitist group that doesn't let people in based on the player and not the character. You don't let just anyone in without first off knowing all you can about them and what they have to offer but there is never any harm in seeing what a PC has to say for themself. It sucks to be looking on the outside in and never told why so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:34:09 AM by Badelaire »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
Eh, chill.. Some of these factions, as it is, really rely a lot on secrecy and confidentiality to carry on their daily activity. IC, many characters well understand that words are easy to be spoken as lies, whilst more discreet scouting of one's motivations is more in order.

Whilst I don't mean to bash about RVT in any OOC manner, IC, there are many characters who would make the automatic assume that RVT captains are evil almost by definition due to what bits of history some know; Which is just an example of extreme IC views.

However little my assurations may matter, I can still guarantee that there's less cliquishness and elitism in factions than what is sometimes perceived.

Also, we do have around 300 players at active at least now and then and it is very hard to be fully fair and equal to such an amount. It's often helpful to give a subtle (or sometimes less subtle, by sending a forum PM  ;)) hint about having a character who'd be interested of public or secret faction.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
Regarding Van Richten society, it isnt as hard as many people think. As a matter of fact there is a certain way to gain their attention for them to at least consider your character for joining. (And without DM involvement at that).
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
You guys can Join my " Fight Club" First rule of Fight club do not tell anybody about The Fight Club ... yours first assigment, start a fight with the first stranger you see ... So let begin !

Badelaire

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
You guys can Join my " Fight Club" First rule of Fight club do not tell anybody about The Fight Club ... yours first assigment, start a fight with the first stranger you see ... So let begin !

YOU BROKE THE FIRST RULE!!!

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
As Badelaire said, it's the effort of letting a faction now you're interested in them OOCly, to back up IG ground-work you've done. It sounds stupid, but the amount of intel each of the RVT players is privy to, is a lot, which is why it is cliquish, one wrong decision, even though we can ICly correct it, and that information isn't really tradeable, or confidential, if you know what I mean.. and we're one of the easiest factions to get involved with.

There are a few PCs that had interest in joining, and let me know OOCly that they'd be interested in it, after my char had gotten to know theirs semi-decently IG. When the time came, and they sent a message/applied, vouches based off IG behaviour were made, but also, some smaller ones of an OOC nature (such as good loser, immersive, etc - really good qualities to have).

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
There are a few PCs that had interest in joining, and let me know OOCly that they'd be interested in it, after my char had gotten to know theirs semi-decently IG. When the time came, and they sent a message/applied, vouches based off IG behaviour were made, but also, some smaller ones of an OOC nature (such as good loser, immersive, etc - really good qualities to have).

Wait what...the RVT are full with loosers? o.O Joking.  :lol:

Characters are being watched constantly even if we don't know about it? It is getting to be like the BIG BROTHER. Jeez...no privacy. We are pried on. Really. Everyone. Honestly. And you don't even know about that. [getting paranoid]

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
yeah at times you get tells from a dm  going wait you did that when and where?      when you talk about something to another char it proofs 2 things.

1: they arnt everywhere all the time
2: they are watching when you least expect it.

also tredow ATM is a bad pick  you ain around much and tredow is "kinda" a dick and you can scratch the dick part away cause to those he doesnt know hell even to those he does know he's a dick, thats not a persenality people normaly like to have around, even if he is strong and smart and has all the secrets in the world.

am glad that there are secret hard accessable factions around, there are just some angles of rp server wise that are best played by those capable     and the avarage joe on this server is am sorry to say not capable for such factions.

heh there is even a portion that dont do well in the regular factions sooo go figure on the diversety of the community   we all have a place and a role to fill for the long evergrowing story that is prisoners of the mists.

ps/ root for HOLLAND TODAY PUNKS
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Badelaire

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
Boo hoo, I'm mortified my fictional, scornful, snarky, jaded, betrayed character's goals don't coincide with being the usual playboy/social type's. I may go and cry in my coffee tonight Dutchy, internetz people are so cruel. Waaaah and so on. That is sarcasm btw, not to be taken as serious business. :awesomeface:<---- My face of concern.  Think we've pretty much covered how to at least gain the ear of a player/Dm to keep an eye on you if your goals mirror whatever faction you're considering joining however secret.

One huge factor that can be an issue sometimes is time zones. Not so bad in itself but a nightmare when trying to arrange things for factions with large player numbers or trying to acertain if a character's material for it. Then there's the consideration that some of us have lives to get on with, it's never happened here thankfully since I like to think we're among the more mature of playerbases but on other servers I have witnessed people being shunned and rebuked ICly for events they couldn't have possibly had any import over due to being absent for REAL LIFE (tm) and used as an excuse to cut them from/deny membership to a faction. Now that is being a dick Dutchy. [Sage nod]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:39:58 AM by Badelaire »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
..can you take a pic and send it to me the next time you cry?   cause i want it on my hallf of lame  :lol:   

still wuv ya cause you aint fully german or danish.