Author Topic: Darkness over Daggerford World Map System  (Read 3389 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Darkness over Daggerford World Map System
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
maybe a way to add some far off areas without having to do all overland travel?

it would really allow one to feel they are moving around the core

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Prefabs.Detail&id=894

Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Darkness over Daggerford World Map System
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
it looks awsome.. perhaps make it useable only though the vistani? and by this i mean any vistani camp around :)

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
Cut scene at the beggining or end of the journey maybe ?

Badelaire

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
Might be a little tricky to implement and I've played that module from arse end to chin. The map is an actual area if you open up the toolset and it would require a 3d rendition of the Core to be made and there's a butt load of scripting in there so it would be purely on the back of a motivated dev to implement. The area tags are essentially transition points you click on to enter other tilesets.

I actually like the idea though and if a percentile chance of getting attacked by various encounters was factored like in that module, that would make it even grander. Mist creatures, bandits/monsters/bad guys of various domains you would have to travel through to get to the domain of choice etc. That would require a certain number of generic encounter areas implemented though I belive there are certain area that already exist that can function as such. A roll akin to the recovery check while sat in a vardo to determine if the vistani are waylaid while transporting you seems fitting.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:06:05 PM by Badelaire »

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
sounds cool.

why does it have to be vistani transporting you though?

why not just a generic carriage?

vistani = expensive, 'safer' travel
Regular travel = % chance of being waylaid

i do agree, i rather liked that 'overland travel' system a while back that generated a basic area so it might load 'a field' 'abandoned farmstead' 'haunted woods' 'treacherous pass'

we could even randomly load a 'hidden glen' or 'old mine' or 'untouched forest' that might have a nice little windfall of crafting supplies to be gathered as well?

the not knowing what might load (to me) sounds a lot more exciting and hair curling
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
sounds cool.

Hai dere, you must be new to Ravenloft? /sarcastic joke. Attempting to travel between the mist bordered domains without prior knowledge and preparation is incredibly foolhardy. Most seek the Vistani because they will allow anyone minding their manners passage through the mists with them for recompense. Only the Vistani and certain Ezrites know how to navigate the mists without the chance of wandering off into the arse end of nowhere.

The Ezrite faith is seen as insular and occult by very many of Ravenloft's natives and so the lesser of two evils, the mystical Vistani is often chosen.  When you go to the Tser pool Vistani camp and hop into their wagon, you are in fact travelling vast distances oveland though various domains not implemented. Often a sadistic DM might waylay the caravan themselves as has happened in the past as I can attest.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:16:08 PM by Badelaire »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
sounds cool.

Hai dere, you must be new to Ravenloft /sarcasm. Attempting to travel between the mist bordered domains without prior knowledge and preparation is incredibly foolhardy. Most seek the Vistani because they will allow anyone minding their manners passage through the mists with them for recompense. Only the Vistani and certain Ezrites know how to navigate the mists without the chance of wandering off into the arse end of nowhere. The Ezrite faith is seen as insular and occult by very many of Ravenloft's natives and so the lesser of two evils, the mystical Vistani is often chosen.

uhm, actually you are wrong on a few facts.

First the Core has relativel stablity between the borders of the various domains. If you theory was true, then trade would not exist period. But yet that is not true. barovia is a major trade route between the west and east due to the mountians making it the only stable route. Further more in the west their is often various diplomacy and connections. Yes Darklords can raise misty borders but this is a rare used ablity, and not a common sight in the Mists. This is also not counting the wars of Falkovinia and drakov which i guess according to your views means that falkovinians also have mist traveling powers? except that is wrong. The Core is relatively stable in terms of mistyness

Now on the other hand, clusters not part of the core; which btw Har'kair is one of them. In Clusters this is how you say it is sort of as there are 3 ways to get to a cluster. 1.) ezrite's divine will through Ezra. 2.) the mysterious Vardo. 3.) take a mist route, can't remember the exact name and hope for the best. Some of these are far more stable with similar stablity to the core as core mists are then others which are unreliable as hell.

Finally on regards to the ezrites, you are plain wrong. Unless you regard the following lands as insular: dementlieu, mordent, darkon, borca, richemulet, and Invida. Which btw are not insular domain at all. Those domians are also all pretty much wholely ezrite religious lands, even if other faiths exist, the exception is Darkon which has the rapidly expanding fourth sect in that area and only has a significant portion((which is still large considering Darkon's size)). The church of Ezra is an -expanisonist- religion. They want to expand and bring the faith to other people, they are not viewed as insular by people. It is not viewed as a lesser of two evils, it is the faith of many of the core, almost all of the western core as mentioned is Ezrite. Occult or hidden knowldege, perhaps the third sect but even this does not apply. The Church of Ezra is open in its teachings and open in its goal to spread the faith of ezra.

Badelaire

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
sounds cool.

Hai dere, you must be new to Ravenloft /sarcasm. Attempting to travel between the mist bordered domains without prior knowledge and preparation is incredibly foolhardy. Most seek the Vistani because they will allow anyone minding their manners passage through the mists with them for recompense. Only the Vistani and certain Ezrites know how to navigate the mists without the chance of wandering off into the arse end of nowhere. The Ezrite faith is seen as insular and occult by very many of Ravenloft's natives and so the lesser of two evils, the mystical Vistani is often chosen and lastly: Am I bovvered? trollface.jpg

We done stroking our intellectual e-peens now or can we get back on topic?

uhm, actually you are wrong on a few facts.

First the Core has relativel stablity between the borders of the various domains. If you theory was true, then trade would not exist period. But yet that is not true. barovia is a major trade route between the west and east due to the mountians making it the only stable route. Further more in the west their is often various diplomacy and connections. Yes Darklords can raise misty borders but this is a rare used ablity, and not a common sight in the Mists. This is also not counting the wars of Falkovinia and drakov which i guess according to your views means that falkovinians also have mist traveling powers? except that is wrong. The Core is relatively stable in terms of mistyness

Now on the other hand, clusters not part of the core; which btw Har'kair is one of them. In Clusters this is how you say it is sort of as there are 3 ways to get to a cluster. 1.) ezrite's divine will through Ezra. 2.) the mysterious Vardo. 3.) take a mist route, can't remember the exact name and hope for the best. Some of these are far more stable with similar stablity to the core as core mists are then others which are unreliable as hell.

Finally on regards to the ezrites, you are plain wrong. Unless you regard the following lands as insular: dementlieu, mordent, darkon, borca, richemulet, and Invida. Which btw are not insular domain at all. Those domians are also all pretty much wholely ezrite religious lands, even if other faiths exist, the exception is Darkon which has the rapidly expanding fourth sect in that area and only has a significant portion((which is still large considering Darkon's size)). The church of Ezra is an -expanisonist- religion. They want to expand and bring the faith to other people, they are not viewed as insular by people. It is not viewed as a lesser of two evils, it is the faith of many of the core, almost all of the western core as mentioned is Ezrite. Occult or hidden knowldege, perhaps the third sect but even this does not apply. The Church of Ezra is open in its teachings and open in its goal to spread the faith of ezra.

First off I find it kinda irritating when you put words into my mouth and make grand assumptions based on passing comments by myself. Secondly you are neither a DM or a Dev to be able to state with conviction and absolute authority what is yay or nay despite your attempts in various other threads. Thirdly, I refer to the Ezrite faith as insular and it is in the same way (that all religions often are) the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church upon the foundation of which it is based on is. The term insular would be to refer to the fact it looks out for its own interests and agenda over all else, though naturally there is always going to be a certain happy hug parade/stupid evil sect representation of the faith regardless. Fourthly, there are cluster domains that have far greater interaction with other domains than even Core domains have with each other such as Zherisia's Paridon which has an incredibly diverse amount of trade with other domains for one such cluster and lasty: Am I bovvered? trollface.jpg

Now we're done stroking our e-peens, I'm sure we'd like to get back on topic. I guess I should reread my supplements for the pleasure of others lest I make a virtual fool of myself. Incidently, if any players are intersted in various Ravenloft material, just PM me and I'll make them available for you for download though I do not in any way condone piracy in any intelectual, physical, spiritual or eyepatch wearing, parrot keeping, booty burying, grog drinking format.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:58:16 PM by Badelaire »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
First off I find it kinda irritating when you put words into my mouth and make grand assumptions based on passing comments by myself.

I did not mean to insuilt you, if I did I appologize, I am just trying to correct the mistake that you made.

Secondly you are neither a DM or a Dev to be able to state with conviction and absolute authority what is yay or nay.

Though I have the source books and some dm quotes to back up what I am saying?

Thirdly, I refer to the Ezrite faith as insular and it is in the same way the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church upon the foundation of which it is based on is.

The opposite of Insular is cosmopolitan, which describes Dementlieu, Richemulet and Borca; dementlieu far more than the others. and the Catholic church even in the middle ages, is not necesarly what I call an insular organization by far.

Fourthly, there are cluster domains that have far greater interaction with other domains than even Core domains have with each other such as Zherisia's Paridon which has an incredibly diverse amount of trade with other domains for one such cluster.

I thought Paridon, did not have much interaction with the rest of the world; particularly after the grand conjuction which made it just a city. This I can be wrong on as I am not familar with that domian.

anyways I think we have successfull veered off-topic on this discussion.

I like the idea; though I do actually like traveling via foot. it might be a great way to pick which domain one would start off at. As with some travel, particularly in the western domains there is much more interaction and thus one could say take a carriage from levkrest to Dementlieu. Though currently the following domains are in the module: Dementlieu, Barovia, Hazlan, Harkair(cluster) Bluestien(ilithid place), bluestien(pirate place) and I think thats it at least atm. Sithicus is in the works. And technically Borca, Darkon and Falkovinia are in the module I believe though only certain areas are accessible and they are only accessible as DM areas currently. So this idea might be better suited when more domains are added in the module I suppose but it is a neat concept :)

Badelaire

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
I like to make quarrel, I work in military environments so it comes with the trade. NOW:  Foot travel seems too much of a stretch since by the server's representation a character is already travelling vast distances though transitions (using Barovia as an example) and the distances between Domains are great, with many not represented in the server a PC will pass through. It would have to be as part of a caravan of people travelling in safety which reflects any quasi-fantasy-medieval mindset. There naturally would be exceptions to the rules but no sane person with a healthy dose of self preservation takes an overland or mist-way journey in Ravenloft lightly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:31:53 AM by Badelaire »

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:35 AM »
Also note, why is it not a % chance of getting waylaid, and an even higher percentage chance of ending up somewhere you had no wish to end up? There are only few mist-ways known, and most 'mist-walkers' don't even make it to their destination, as per the VR book. Even the mistway Seraphim et up, without signs, would've been a pain to navigate and find the right path, now imagine that on a 1000x scale, combine it with monsters, and not even a level 20I dare say would want to risk their rectum contracting so hard from half of the monsters that they find.

Also, the last I remember in a certain thread (can't remember the thread name) mist-walking and such things was being worked on, or atleast discussed/thrown around with the Devs.