Author Topic: YouTube, Firefox and Crashes "OH MY"  (Read 1220 times)

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
YouTube, Firefox and Crashes "OH MY"
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Okay, I'm frustrated as all hell at the moment.  :MadBlow:

When I'm on YouTube, it tends to crash when I skip to certain parts in a video. When I type a comment it lags like crazy. Even when I'm typing here I get some hick-ups. I can't have more tabs open in Firefox or my computer will just crash on the spot. My mouse stops moving and just hangs up.. No errors, no blue screen of death, nothing. It happens to me in Windows XP, Windows 7 64-bit. A clean installation or not, it doesn't help. Everything is up to date, so that's not the problem. It all started because of this new flash thing or what-ever YouTube, Firefox and Google are cooking up... I have absolutely no clue.

Even when I move my mouse across a video on YouTube it just drops the FPS to like 10. I have hardware acceleration off on the video's but even that doesn't work. What are these people doing?

It seems many others have this problem and it's annoying as all hell! Seriously.. I type pretty quick and to wait for my letters to appear inch by inch and knowing you made some mistakes, pressing backspace is like torture.. Most of the time you press it too much and end up erasing most of what you typed.

Please tell me that I'm no the only one here with the same problems. Good lord things still work with video-games or I'd smash my PC to an oblivion and just go for consoles.. And even those get overheated, crash etc.. Ugh, technology these days. So freaking fragile.

End rant.. I hope.  :shifty:

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: YouTube, Firefox and Crashes "OH MY"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »
Firefox's flash plugins have always been substandard. On Linux, they are even worse, slower, and less stable.

About:Config can be used for some tweaks that might help, more info of that in these two places: http://www.techfragments.com/481/the-12-best-firefox-aboutconfig-performance-tweaks/ & http://www.davidtan.org/tips-reduce-firefox-memory-cache-usage/

There never really is anything wrong in computer performance or hardware itself. 10 years old computer should easily run flash content, web browser, text editors and great many games. It's just the software that gets progressively heavier, from lack of optimization, too many layers of abstraction, old poorly functioning code recycled, etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:25:38 PM by tzaeru »

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
Re: YouTube, Firefox and Crashes "OH MY"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at it when I have some time. I hope it fixes some of the issues I have. Others on google message boards have tried finding solutions but couldn't find any. Some say it's HTML5 mixed with the new Flash player. I agree that it's probably not the hardware. It's a fairly young computer I have. I usually have my gripe with new drivers produced by nVidia too. They fix one thing but break tons of others. It seems these days nothing is backwards compatible. It's sad really, since there's diamonds in the rough out there that needs polishing.