You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: (A)MPC Atmospheric Emotes  (Read 5175 times)

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
(A)MPC Atmospheric Emotes
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »
I'd like to suggest something that's probably suggested before but I'll explain what my little problem is.

I know an AMPC is there to unload some burden off of the DM's shoulders. Though, as a DM you can easily just remain hidden while performing your @voice emotes. I would like to suggest a familiar of sorts, that is invisible and unable to do anything else but use @voice command to echo atmospheric emotes. This is due to the very limited reach of the command and since I want to scare people with danger drawing near through these emotes, it's nearly impossible to do so.

One gets easily spotted from a close enough distance or there isn't a cover that can get yourself closer to the players PC's. In the end they'll end up spotting the (A)MPC and it breaks the immersion of the atmosphere. I know they shouldn't lurk near populated area's, but even still - on the road this principle remains the same. You can't scare others easily.. rather you stand in a group of other creatures aiding their cause instead of adding atmosphere. Which is something I love doing.

Today has been my first day RPing my AMPC and it was fun, except for that tiny little problem. There's probably concerns of abuse and all that.. but trust in such a person should be applied with the approval of an application I'd say. Dispite this, some RP came up that was unintended and I rolled with it, creating some unexpected RP gold in my experience.. so on the flip-side it was okay. I just rather not repeat such mistakes, speeds up the reveal way too fast when caught. ;)

Looking forward to scare all of you that wander the night alone.  8)

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
Re: (A)MPC Atmospheric Emotes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
You should be able to stand a good distance away from people and be able to @voice. What class are you? What's your hide/ms?

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:42:08 PM »
You should be able to stand a good distance away from people and be able to @voice. What class are you? What's your hide/ms?

Barbarian. I tried moving silently, but too easily spotted. There weren't really that much points to distribute amongst all the skills I wanted.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Ah, then you're pretty hosed then, yes. You don't need a huge amount of hide/ms to be able to have fun as an AMPC, my wight did just fine with low to mid 30s. But to get that, you'll have to put feats and skill points into it. What sort of monster are you?

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
Having interacted a little with him, I do know it seems hard to use the @voice effectively.... anything that doesn't have ms/hide can't give the atmospher that others can (and seems silly to make him invest in hide/ms so he can 'howl from the woods' and stuff, without having to moving into the midst of people so people can hear it.  Emotes to add suspense and horror before actually seeing the monster you know?

Vampires can mist and position themselves nicely to do so, as well as other sneaky sorts... but seems the non-stealth sorts loose out on this tool.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:40:29 PM by Hatsune »
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
Just remember that your atmospheric emotes should be used to portray your MPC rather than emoting the environment of which your character has no control over.

Thus the limited range shouldn't affect you dramatically. MPCs can only do what they can do, like anyone else, and your emotes should reflect that.

If AMPC/MPC players have specific questions about their role or the tools available they can ask a DM directly. :)

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
Err. Hmm.. Well, when others see my AMPC, they will attack on sight.. not first approach him, wait a moment before I can emote something in voice. By the time I type something, I'm dead on the ground.. like some hapless whelp. Happened to me and I guess I was fortunate I wasn't killed off immediately on my first try.

Strangely, I was slaughtered by just one bloke. For a AMPC, I feel kind of a weakling.. Even when I was surrounded by fellow monsters. I thought I shouldn't be some monster that just goes in and attacks. I want this character to flesh out in RP, have people sympathize with him after the fact he's been downed. That sort of thing..

By the way; does it makes sense that a werewolf would run away when in a situation like I mentioned? To me, it seems a bit silly.. maybe when he gains a bit more knowledge of his own affliction, he'll be able to control himself some more. Ironically, I did run away.. but ended up crited in the back. :)

Edit: I'm emoting what is reflecting my AMPC. Like critters fleeing the woods because of his movements in them. Furthermore.. I do things like Howls and Growls.. as if he's hidden, ready to pounce. I say it adds flavor.. also it lures in people dumb enough to investigate. Kind of boring waiting on the roads for someone to pass, if you understand what I mean. I don't have DM vision where I see where everyone is lurking so that I can set up an ambush of sorts. Just saying......
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:46:19 PM by rolto »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »
as a werewolf you run at times yes feral or not.

if a wild animal gets corned it tries to flee.

also learn quick to pick your targets or locations, cause there are folks who see a red dot on their screen and emidiatly attack, those are the types that should NOT be a target.

would be a quick death.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
I played a were-bear once, so yes I understand your concerns.

1. Everyone on the server what's not a monster is stronger than an AMPC. Even Dumitru the Beggar can stick his knife up your rear. Exception are maybe the vampires. They can build up a nasty reputation, because no matter how hard you try to flesh it out in rp, it the Heroes get the smell of your blood and that you are a weakling in combat, they will not whispers in the corners of the taverns at night how dangerous you are.

2. There's that AMPC tool that helps to locate ppl, but then again. Those who leave the safety of the taverns at night usually either are in packs, or very strong, nothing an AMPC can scare. I ended up running more times, than I managed to scare people. It was awkward. (let me add even though I rarely attacked, just emoted and tried to build up an infamy mauling goats from the barns - I still got chased down. One times I was running for many RL hours from a monk, who simply put wanted to make a bear rug of my were-bear and he was real persistant in it  :()

3. Yes, the atmospheric emotes can be the only chance to spook people - since once you reveal yourself you'd get the " Oh hey, it's just one lousy werewolf, let's maim it". But through the emotes, one can really spook people. And yes, I got spotted many occasion, when I was trying to stalk (AMPCs are not so high levels, not to mention were-beasts who cannot even use equipments). Would be nice to have a tool, to 1. check where people are exactly to assess the situation, 2. an ability to Athmospheric emote on the same map, with a larger area of effect without the need to move the 'Monser' into line of sight.  - which raises the chance of being found and whacked badly.  There were many times I Emoted without seeing the targets, only hoping they are on the same map, and later turned out that they either did not hear it, or was not on the map.  8)

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »
I played a were-bear once, so yes I understand your concerns.

1. Everyone on the server what's not a monster is stronger than an AMPC. Even Dumitru the Beggar can stick his knife up your rear. Exception are maybe the vampires. They can build up a nasty reputation, because no matter how hard you try to flesh it out in rp, it the Heroes get the smell of your blood and that you are a weakling in combat, they will not whispers in the corners of the taverns at night how dangerous you are.

2. There's that AMPC tool that helps to locate ppl, but then again. Those who leave the safety of the taverns at night usually either are in packs, or very strong, nothing an AMPC can scare. I ended up running more times, than I managed to scare people. It was awkward. (let me add even though I rarely attacked, just emoted and tried to build up an infamy mauling goats from the barns - I still got chased down. One times I was running for many RL hours from a monk, who simply put wanted to make a bear rug of my were-bear and he was real persistant in it  :()

3. Yes, the atmospheric emotes can be the only chance to spook people - since once you reveal yourself you'd get the " Oh hey, it's just one lousy werewolf, let's maim it". But through the emotes, one can really spook people. And yes, I got spotted many occasion, when I was trying to stalk (AMPCs are not so high levels, not to mention were-beasts who cannot even use equipments). Would be nice to have a tool, to 1. check where people are exactly to assess the situation, 2. an ability to Athmospheric emote on the same map, with a larger area of effect without the need to move the 'Monser' into line of sight.  - which raises the chance of being found and whacked badly.  There were many times I Emoted without seeing the targets, only hoping they are on the same map, and later turned out that they either did not hear it, or was not on the map.  8)
[/size]

Something is seriously wrong if people aren't afraid of werewolves on this server.. I thought you were suppose to be pretty much helpless, considering the items you receive. From what I can tell, a +1 is probably the highest weapon you can get.. with some added stuff with a drastic negative. Granted.. they have silver coated stuff and that's is a must for all would-be adventurers. Perhaps the level of the AMPC should be upped a notch since a lot of adventurers that are higher up, love to just dare the night and not give a rats-ass who's lurking in it. For any man or woman to just attack a pack of wolves and werewolves are either superman or a idiot.

Perhaps some folks should watch more movies with werewolves in them and take a second look on how horrific they are. One would be lucky to swing a sword at one before being launched into the air like some rag doll. If I'm willing to hold back for the sake of immersion, so should the players. Despite being super elite powerhouse man. I can understand a group of adventurers being less frightened.. but even-so. Walking around with a group, with only source of light is your companions, they'd feel claustrophobic as all hell and stick together for support.

I might have a solution, but no one would like that. Have us able to spawn a pack of werewolves, say about two or three others that follow the player. I was thinking, why didn't I chose druid just instead and use Animal Empathy on them.. but alas, they're not animals.. but just monsters. Besides, my character is in no position to be some alpha male anyway.

I don't like to complain and whine at all, just a bit disappointed at how it works. Gives me more of a excuse just to RP him in his human form instead of a werewolf.. maybe someday just spontaneously transform inside some Inn and have my way. I'll be killed on the spot, but it makes a hell of a story.

One last thing; will my character be permadeathed when he is killed but once? Like if he's defeated on the ground and ready to type @die; is he dead-dead? If so - it's kind of crazy that I'm more afraid of losing a AMPC so fast then actually acting him out  8)

I'm seriously over-thinking this..

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »
Do you really believe that after slaying a horde of werebeasts in the night any char would suddenly be scared of one werebeast?

The only reason I see it working if werebeasts would have been seriously boosted in terms of strength and power and become less frequent throughtout the server. That way you would rarely meet them, but if you do you ll be in a lot of trouble.
Its actuall the same with Vampire MPCs, allmost all adventurers was in Baratak terg crypt and fought numerous undead. So why would then those who did that be scared of one vampire spawn. It is just that vampire chars are lot more powerful mechanic wise.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »
Do you really believe that after slaying a horde of werebeasts in the night any char would suddenly be scared of one werebeast?

That's exactly the gist of the matter. As just one single entity, it's almost futile. Ugh, PvP isn't my thing at all. Before I discredit myself any further in the inability to play a werewolf (apart from human)..

I'd like to get back to the main suggestion. I want to emote stuff..... summon pack of wolves.. whatever. Who am I to complain anyway.. I can be a werewolf. Yay!

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »
I would say PvP should not be a goal in such encounters. To be honest my most enjoyable encounters with MPCs were without PvP or when it didnt play any important role.

I would also say that players should avoid attacking MPCs on sight and give them some time to emote.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
I would say PvP should not be a goal in such encounters. To be honest my most enjoyable encounters with MPCs were without PvP or when it didnt play any important role.

I would also say that players should avoid attacking MPCs on sight and give them some time to emote.

That's correcto mundo. Perhaps it was this one encounter that was a bit out of bounds. Not saying he was at fault.. perhaps panicked maybe. The player was kind enough to ask me if I was AFK - even though he was already attacking at that point.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
  • The Red Academy of Hazlan
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
I am very disappointed on how you perceived the scene Rolto. To my recollection we had a considerable amount of role play after the fight. My 12th Level Paladin even tried to convince your character to seek help at the Church.

It is true that at first I didn’t see your character in werewolf form. You hid behind a pack of werewolves on the road leading to the lodge thus using them to your advantage. Is your character a member of their pack? If not they would mostly likely have attacked your character thus driving him from their hunting grounds. Not sure if that’s a PvP infraction or not but I’m not going to press it.

In fact as soon as I realised I was facing another player I was considerate enough to place your character on Sub duel.
This is why I avoid PvPing MPCs at all cost. No matter how much I do my best to engage in considerate role play someone will always have their ego hurt.

Next time you have an issue with another player.  Address the player directly or ask for mediation from a DM. Posting on an open forum like this rude.

Nazara Xethos - "House Za'am is as contagious as Lycanthropy. Get afflicted."

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
I am very disappointed on how you perceived the scene Rolto. To my recollection we had a considerable amount of role play after the fight. My 12th Level Paladin even tried to convince your character to seek help at the Church.

It is true that at first I didn’t see your character in werewolf form. You hid behind a pack of werewolves on the road leading to the lodge thus using them to your advantage. Is your character a member of their pack? If not they would mostly likely have attacked your character thus driving him from their hunting grounds. Not sure if that’s a PvP infraction or not but I’m not going to press it.

In fact as soon as I realised I was facing another player I was considerate enough to place your character on Sub duel.
This is why I avoid PvPing MPCs at all cost. No matter how much I do my best to engage in considerate role play someone will always have their ego hurt.

Next time you have an issue with another player.  Address the player directly or ask for mediation from a DM. Posting on an open forum like this rude.

I mention no names, just some instances. This happens to be one. I did mention some unintended RP came out of it and it was golden. It was just very sudden.. I looked away (IRL) for a second and suddenly was attacked.. so I was kind of overwhelmed at that point. The conversation just shifted towards that incident, I meant nothing by it. I'm not griefing here.

There is no RP related to the other werewolves that spawn, so I guess every monster is in "a pack". I didn't want to be exposed so quickly, so I had to improvise on the spot and thankfully your character was merciful enough to have pity on this bloke. I perhaps should've ran sooner.. but.. I was on the fence of.. "does he run? or doesn't he?" At the inch of his life.. I was like.. "Hell I'm running" but it was too late. :)

This is about another instance really. Near the outskirts area, where I can't get near enough to emote something spooky and such without being seen so soon. I have to be in view to emote. That's what it's about.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
As an MPC never, ever hunt in the outskirts

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
I would suggest haunting an area like the Salvich woods, around the village.

I try to give MPCs a chance to emote.

I formed up a hunt to hunt Winter's werebear. He did a good job with the emotes and allow us to give him a proper burial next to his family.

I might Nocture wight once with a cleric. Never attacked him but try to protect the old man cleric. It was interesting.

And numerous encounters with Sera Patton.

But yes, I can see how some players just see red name and go fly out an attack before you could type Grr....

What I suggest with an AMPC werewolf is form a AMPC werewolf pack. Then choose a hunting group far away from the outskirts. Start with dm help by maiming travelers and such. Get some attention.  The the players will form up a hunting party to deal with your pack. That would be a challenge for the players.

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
As an MPC never, ever hunt in the outskirts

I don't kill/hunt people just because I'm a monster, besides, it's AMPC. Not that it matters much (I think). I just wanted to emote stuff there.. create some sense of emergency. I think I stated that from the beginning. I read the rules.  :?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
This is more because what will happen 9 out of 10 times, is bored high level hero will decide to take a swing at you since your red when around the outskirts

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
I would suggest haunting an area like the Salvich woods, around the village.

I try to give MPCs a chance to emote.

I formed up a hunt to hunt Winter's werebear. He did a good job with the emotes and allow us to give him a proper burial next to his family.

I might Nocture wight once with a cleric. Never attacked him but try to protect the old man cleric. It was interesting.

And numerous encounters with Sera Patton.

But yes, I can see how some players just see red name and go fly out an attack before you could type Grr....

What I suggest with an AMPC werewolf is form a AMPC werewolf pack. Then choose a hunting group far away from the outskirts. Start with dm help by maiming travelers and such. Get some attention.  The the players will form up a hunting party to deal with your pack. That would be a challenge for the players.

You see. I'm fairly new to the server and I know practically nothing about the areas. A few characters of mine has been places that reached the Fishinglodge, to the Barovian Village once and Dvergeheim once.. so I haven't got much to roll with at the moment. So I guess I should explore. Farthest I've probably been was through that mist wall of sorts.. where you need some token from the Vistani? If I remember correctly. So mainly roads.

When I view the total players online and know the module is so freaking huge, the chances that I do meet someone is so slim that I stuck with the area's I did know. When I log in I don't want to just roam around in empty maps, if you understand. :)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
This is more because what will happen 9 out of 10 times, is bored high level hero will decide to take a swing at you since your red when around the outskirts
Some time the hero get nasty surprise. Too bad they took my Yves away. Perhap if DMs team will allow one of my Char to become MPC. I show you all a good time  :D

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
It would be awesome to have a list of current AMPC's somewhere.. but there's catch. Metagaming. I have faith in players to remain subtle though. Perhaps a DM could maintain a hidden list and distribute the names of the (A)MPC of a certain monster-type, so they can hunt in pack form.

So I guess I can howl out to all those werewolves out there. Form up!  8)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
You won't find any living AMPC because they have a time-limit on them. I think it's 30 days. When I had my were-bear I tried to get some level of infamy to have my hide hunted in real RP when my time limit drew close. Also if I remember correctly there's only 1 AMPC of the same type is allowed at once. So there won't be an instance where you see the very same one, when your exist.

The role of the AMPC (nomen est omen) to give an atmospheric encounter to the players, not only your usual 2-bits scripted mobs, but something with a cunning.

Yes, the outskirts are the deadliest place in all Barovia. The others areas less frequently visited. My were-bear's territory for instance was all the Balinoks, and there were times when I was camping there for hours and none came that way. When decided to get below to the level of the Southern forest and farmlands, I had a chance to spook folks, but most of the times it was me running.

I always looked upon the AMPC / PCs as boss level monsters of their type, but especially the lycans and mundane undead (ghouls, wights ) are just too weak for that compared to your avarage player level who dare to visit the night. And unless you visit the deadly outskirts, you won't find many at night who'll get spooked by you. That's the Achilles-heel of the concept.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
That appears to be the case.  However, I think I'm going a completely different approach then most AMPCs. Feedback has been good thus far and I'm happy with his personality. He's actually just a nice guy, lost almost everything, begging to get by and slowly rose up. It happened rather quickly, but that was due to generous PC's.  I think he almost got rich over night.. well, rich for his taste. Got himself some semi-presentational clothing, cloak for the winter and all the necessities.

At this point he just needs a social circle that eventually should care about his well-being. As of yet, he's unaware and that's what I was going for. Wait for a full-moon and be discovered once upon a time by his own circle of friends. Do the sensible thing and help him or.. I don't know, end his 'misery'. Perhaps turn bitter and just gain control and go down the beaten path. I'm not entirely sure and that's what awesome. The players get the choose the outcome in the end.

I'll be PMing some DM's soon with some idea's, character they can play if they wish or set up some small scale event of sorts. If a DM is reading and is sparked by the idea, go ahead and shoot me a PM and I'll give some idea's. :)