You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Job expansions  (Read 2658 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Job expansions
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:46:49 AM »
We now have a chance to play a fisherman or farmer, and it also suggest that one should RP the craft, but none I have seen really doing it so.

So I wonder if it is possible to drop some interactive job spots on the fields or by the lake, which triggers some work animation, and giving the employees some items/round-turn.
Similarly to the trees which we can cut...

Crops + scythe / sickle --> interacting --> you get crops which you can turn in for meager coins.
Fishing spots + fishing rod --> interacting --> you get fish which you can turn in for meager coins.

These should be unlimited but time consuming resources, which would give a taste of hard labor and a chance for cheap money at lower levels.

What you think?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
Re: Job expansions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:16:27 AM »
Sounds great actually. I'm kind of tired doing those delivery jobs at beginning of some characters to make some coins. A few times it's doable, but after a while.. meh. On your way you can get a few minks in here and there.. do some leather working. (Unless you have a magical bag, this can become a burden.)

As long as it's kept simple and functional, I'm all for it.

To keep it simple, I do mean simple. Not having to buy some fillet knife so you can gut the fish and clean it, then make a campfire to eat it, with the acquired spices to make the final dish. I've seen plenty of these systems and they all tend to become rather intimidating for many.

Could we also include a small rate of experience given by doing these things? Sitting on a stool, lake-side is adding immersion and should be rewarded with role-playing experience, in my opinion.

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:19 AM »
Sounds doable to me. The throwing animation for grenade-style weapons/items and some of the melee attack animations look like casting a rod. (The sling animation is this.)

The farming is self-explanatory as well. This would actually be a very cool implementation to me as I had plans a while back to make a druid/cleric of Chauntea who would love to help farmers with their crop.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
i really liked the fishing and cooking on arelith

fishing- you would use a poll at different spots and you got all manner of different fish and sometimes junk! and once in a while a rare thing!

CoA had fishing too

and i loved the whole cooking craft on Arelith and being able to rename the icons

it generated a lot of RP.. we even ran a festhall. the crafting stations were in a locked back room (that you could see through an open doorway behind the bar)

i dont like to suggest anything any more though since i learned how overworked the devs are :D
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:45:01 AM »
Yeah, I like the idea. I agree it should be kept somewhat simple, though I would certainly like to be able to cook the fish over a campfire. Also, maybe make a harpoon for fishing as an alternative to the fishing pole? I used to RP my Kagonesti elf fishing with his spear so I personally like the idea of being able to actually mechanically do it rather than just "pretend" that I'm catching a fish or two and cooking them up.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »
i really liked the fishing and cooking on arelith

Yeah it was decent, but I think the crafting system here is generally far better than theirs. I wouldn't mind if they brought in a cooking craft that allowed you to prepare various meals instead of just getting some basic rations. As far as I know they already have a fair bit of ingredients and the like on the server, and if not then there's a ton of templates/icons (or whatever you want to call them) included with the CEP. Something for the devs to consider down the road when they're not working on a gajillion different things.

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
It's quite logical to cook fish once you caught it. I just mean the process' in between. You can easily just emote [adds xxx spice to the gutted and cleaned fish]. There's no need to add more mechanics, since it's the human imagination at work.

Like Sheldon Cooper once claimed whilst playing ZORK: "It runs on the worlds most powerful graphics chip - -  imagination"

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
Oh I had some really simple things in my mind. Just the ability to catch fish or harvest grain and sell them to the NPCs for some meager income.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
It's quite logical to cook fish once you caught it. I just mean the process' in between. You can easily just emote [adds xxx spice to the gutted and cleaned fish]. There's no need to add more mechanics, since it's the human imagination at work. Like Sheldon Cooper once claimed whilst playing ZORK: "It runs on the worlds most powerful graphics chip - -  imagination"

Oh of course, the two posts were unrelated. A cooking craft would be more of a novelty really. When I used to "fish" with Kith, I'd emote everything, with a few rolls thrown in there for the actual fishing part.

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Gimme the GEP gun.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
Seasonal Work....

Spring Planting - Requires an Ox and a heavy inventory item <Plow> given by the farmer your helping.  Once you set the Ox to task you have to follow it and remove large rocks it uncovers via bashing.  Rock debris can be turned in for coin as proof of work.
Once you till the field, you can then plant seeds and return to the farmer to get your days pay.

Summer Tending - Defending the crops against various vermin(rats, rabbits, mink etc) the skins/corpses turned in to earn your pay.
Weeding the crops.  Assorted weeds can spawn around the fields, clicking on them could force a GetLow emote and return a "weed" item or even a random chance for a random summer herb.  Weed items then could be sold tot he farmer for pay.

Fall Harvesting - Tall plants growing in need to be bashed down and gathered and turned into the farmer for pay, similarly the farmer takes the bundled goods and hires PC's to make deliveries to the Warehouse or other destinations.

Work in Dvergeheim - Reinforcing structures - An Engineer could offer work-orders to repair various pillars and supports in the main floor and first floor of the mines.  Pay should of course be higher to dwarven workers.  They could be given a few heavy stones to lug to the worksite and then help a worker fit the repair.

Sage - When stories come to life

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
Should some of the jobs have skill requirements? For different skill rolls etc. Like if you're trying to catch a vermin you would have to roll DEX and pass the DC to catch it successfully.

Just food for thought.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Should some of the jobs have skill requirements? For different skill rolls etc. Like if you're trying to catch a vermin you would have to roll DEX and pass the DC to catch it successfully.

Just food for thought.

Planning on having racial-background based+influence jobs involving the Wachters & the Ionelus in the future, same goes for Romulich.

Hint:

Spoiler: show
Probably a good time for those who play native Barovians, with high influence + low OCR, I.E, not lost to the outlanders ;).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:54:44 PM by Heretic »

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »

Just food for thought.

Planning on having racial-background based+influence jobs involving the Wachters & the Ionelus in the future, same goes for Romulich.

Hint:

Spoiler: show
Probably a good time for those who play native Barovians, with high influence + low OCR, I.E, not lost to the outlanders ;).

Sounds interesting. Will have to wait and see.
Gimme the GEP gun.