You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Repelling and Climbing using rope  (Read 2820 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Repelling and Climbing using rope
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Just a suggestion but maybe you guys can script a system that will allow for repelling and climbing using ropes.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Repelling and Climbing using rope
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
Well to make it workable I think they would need to make points where it will check for the items in question then allow you to move up or down.

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
That would take a great deal of scripting that is likely not even possible within the NWN coded environment. It would be one thing if there were a recognizable z-axis within the game for characters and enemies (meaning being able to jump/fly/so forth) but as there isn't and so far as I know all instanced activity takes place on a single plane with 'levels' only being existent suggestively through travel between connected instances, I don't think this would be implementable at all.

Geiger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
I've actually seen this done on servers. But it is fairly 'ghetto' and doesn't really add much.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
Yeah, I have seen it on other servers as well. It's not ideal but basically functions like this: in climbable locations, you can use your climbing gear and you are ported to the next level up on cliffs and the like, though it could be used for longer descents/ascents where applicable (situations like the wells that lead into the Vallaki sewers, for example.) I think it's a cool idea to implement, since we have rope in-game and little use for it other than RP (as far as I know anyway.)  They already have grappling hooks and rope with grappling hook items in the CEP, so it would just be a question of adding these items into the game and scripting a system. I imagine the scripting would be rather time consuming and a giant pain in the ass considering it would require adding all the locations you can climb into the game. If it were to be implemented though, I suggest borrowing from Age of Conan and having an environmental text pop-up "you can climb here" or something to that effect when you're in the appropriate location.

Geiger

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Yeah I suppose it could be a unique use thing. Like you use its unique power on certain 'nodes' that will teleport you up something based on certain rolls of skills/abilities/what have you. It might be nice for 'hidden' dungeons, ruins, climbing. Hhmm.. I suppose that could be cool. Have a chance that ropes break and you get marooned and it'd be even cooler. lol.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
Yeah I suppose it could be a unique use thing. Like you use its unique power on certain 'nodes' that will teleport you up something based on certain rolls of skills/abilities/what have you. It might be nice for 'hidden' dungeons, ruins, climbing. Hhmm.. I suppose that could be cool. Have a chance that ropes break and you get marooned and it'd be even cooler. lol.

I'm no scripter/dev but I suspect it's something along the lines of setting up a waypoint that's activated by using the item in question. You're then teleported to the other waypoint and yes, it was a unique use type of function on the servers I saw this on.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
Repelling?

I think he means Rapelling. A word Americans use for Abseiling :p.

The internet's a multi cultural place. You learn something new every day :).

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
ive also seen this used where you can 'climb ivy' to access unusual area

'swim' to get to places

'pole vault' over a chasm  or 'jump'    the ploe arm gave a bonus

and even 'oil of slipperiness' to access tight places

i would greatly like to see more pit traps and needing rope and grappling hook to get out and such :D

id even like to see the current ropes in game removed and only available if you have the item on you

i always thought all those work arounds they added on the other servers were quite ingenious to add old school table top gaming elements

i am a big fan of such

+1000 for such ideas!
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
*Thread Necromancy!*  :GRIM2A:

This is still on my wishlist for a future update... though I'm sure you have a lot on your plate already what with the mist-travelling system. I wish I knew more about coding so I could take a crack at it myself.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
Exordium is working on such a system, although I think he injured his hand so he can't do much until it heals.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »
I am very happy to hear that!  Well... that he's working on it, that is. That he injured himself, that's no good and hopefully he's healing nicely.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:34:58 AM »
I'm still in queue for a MRI, after of which it takes X amount of time to get a surgery and have my shoulder fixed. Talk about the efficiency of a rundown public healthcare.. :roll:

Standard stuff, but in the meanwhile I promptly took off my sling a week back and can type like before. At least until the surgery, which carries a hefty 2 months of "nay, don't use the arm for slamming a keyboard!" with it. :P

Maybe I'll have the animation thing done before that and see about adding some fitting climbable and swimmable routes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:37:27 AM by Exordium »