You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cannibal Zombies  (Read 1867 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Cannibal Zombies
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
i dont know if these are in the game already but based on their book description i have this idea for implementing them if they are not already:

you know the look a pc gets when they are raised and it goes wrong? and they come back as a zombie?

-that look- with the typical zombie creature shambling animation would probably work really well for cannibal Zombies
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Cannibal Zombies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »
I made a blueprint for them, so they're in, but they don't spawn in any dungeons. Mostly just there for DMs to spawn if they want to do a "Night of the Living Dead" type of scenario.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
Mostly just there for DMs to spawn if they want to do a "Night of the Living Dead" type of scenario.

That sounds like fun Halloween idea to me... or just randomly spring it on people without any warning whatsoever. Imagine stepping out of the Lady one morning, expecting everything to be safe as it usually is when the sun rises only to find a giant horde of zombies waiting to eat your face. Right, I guess that would be more Dawn of the Dead than Night of the Living Dead.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Mostly just there for DMs to spawn if they want to do a "Night of the Living Dead" type of scenario.

That sounds like fun Halloween idea to me... or just randomly spring it on people without any warning whatsoever. Imagine stepping out of the Lady one morning, expecting everything to be safe as it usually is when the sun rises only to find a giant horde of zombies waiting to eat your face. Right, I guess that would be more Dawn of the Dead than Night of the Living Dead.
Well there's also the added wrinkle that normal D&D zombies don't eat people, throwing people used to "normal" zombies for a loop.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »

This. Must. Happen.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Also
Spoiler: show

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »

Well there's also the added wrinkle that normal D&D zombies don't eat people, throwing people used to "normal" zombies for a loop.

Well, this is true, but nothing says some power-hungry necromancer can't screw up a ritual and unleash a bunch of flesh-hungry zombies into our midst.  ;)

EDIT: In fact, it would be funny if this happened to a player and he was their first victim. "Go forth, my minions! Wait... what are you doing? Oh god no!" [garbled screams]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:01:30 PM by Serillian »

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
they leave come sunrise, sometimes resorting to eating one of their own to alleviate their hunger.

if you are bitten its a save vs poison

failure - you need cure disease
within 2d4 rounds you begin to succumb to ravenous hunger
every other round - con check

failure means the poison kills you and you join the others!
[i assume in the game mechanics that means you become a zombie like when a raise dead botches]

slow poison (antidote?) retards the poison's onset

;..;
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

TornFear

• Crit-Magnet
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Can you imagine...you've just hit tenth level..you have wicked bad ass magic armor, your sword is pure Silver, and carries an enchantment to butcher the undead aswell.  You have cleared that Crypts beneath the Temple five times, alone.  You decide to stand outside in the Outskirts like all your friends...but wait! Real life calls, and you just HAVE to have that sandwich...so you go AFK, leave the computer....no worries, Night wont come for a long time.  Your sandwich is delicious, just the way you like it.  You were only gone a couple of minutes....but you return to your seat just in time to see a roving band of corpses tear down your champion, and then jaw open, sandwich forgotten upon the floor where you dropped it in shock...you watch your Hero rise, and shuffle off to devour those same friends you stood out in the sun with....perhaps daylight was no safe guarantee after all?

That would be fun  :D

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
similar thing happens in the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Where the PCs come to the village of Barovia to find out that everything is boarded up and most of the town's inhabitants have became zombies. It is the goal of the PCs to find the cure to the problem. This is how it works there.

Desease (Su) Necromantic infection --slam, Fort DC 13negates, incubation period instant, damage sickened. An infected creature that drops to -1 hit points or fewer, or that dies, rises as a zombie in 1d4+1 rounds unless properly treated.

There is a way to treat it, but I doubt most NPCs will have the means. This would be very taxing on the MLs as those who become infected would not know where to turn. Can turn the whole village or even Vallaki into a place filled with walking corpses that others keep joining their ranks. Very deadly to low level PCs.

Could use this scene as a DM event and grab a party to solve the case. I suggest going away from Vallaki or Barovia and make it in a village which is difficult to get to.