Author Topic: Herbalism Barkskin  (Read 2576 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Herbalism Barkskin
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »
I think to create barkskin potions in herbalism, the materials should be lessen. Right now it takes 4 parts of the material. These parts are big and take up a lot of inventory space. I think they should be lessen to two or one.

What is the benefit of a barkskin potion created by a player verus the barkskin from the elves?

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Herbalism Barkskin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:55:12 AM »
What is the benefit of a barkskin potion created by a player verus the barkskin from the elves?

The elven barkskin potion has a caster level of 6, giving +3 Natural AC. The player made barkskin potion has a caster level of 12, giving +4 Natural AC.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
I think the persons Herbalism level should contribute to this as well, making it so a person with lvl 30 Herbalism potions would be much better then someone who has a herbalist level of 15, sort of like extend spell on them.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
I think the persons Herbalism level should contribute to this as well, making it so a person with lvl 30 Herbalism potions would be much better then someone who has a herbalist level of 15, sort of like extend spell on them.

This is really what different recipes are for. It makes sense to have different "potency" of barkskin potions; one lower-level for +3 AC, one moderate level for +4 AC, and one supremely high level for +5 AC, each progressively more difficult and requiring more reagents.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
This is really what different recipes are for. It makes sense to have different "potency" of barkskin potions; one lower-level for +3 AC, one moderate level for +4 AC, and one supremely high level for +5 AC, each progressively more difficult and requiring more reagents.

Well, take into account that Barkskin is the only AC-giving buff Druids have. They already need to be level 13 to do better than potions, might want to let them have that privilege. :)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Well, take into account that Barkskin is the only AC-giving buff Druids have. They already need to be level 13 to do better than potions, might want to let them have that privilege. :)

Well, it's not like other classes have their spells as sacrosanct... I mean, magical varnishes effectively function like the Magic Vestment or Greater Magical Weapon spell with some small differences, and it's a heck of a lot easier to obtain a +5 varnish than it is to get a level 20 cleric... the Joyeuse longsword provides Aura of Glory; and doesn't the Scabbard of Blessing provide Blessed Weapon? I could go on... I'm not saying that the point of view you express doesn't merit consideration, I'm just saying that when you weigh the length and breadth of options available from Herbalism / Alchemy / Items, not a lot of niches seem to be sacrosanct.

I'll admit my bias, though, I play a high level herbalist. :P
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »
If the mass effect buffing system is put back in after evaluation, this will be one more thing the buffers have going for them. Honestly, I'm quite indifferent on the issue because, hey, I'm selfish, and I'm content with the way things are right now. Having said that, I don't see much of a problem with allowing for increased potency of player-made barkskin potions, or having the material components for them altered in a way that makes the potions more appealing to brew. I don't often see barkskin potions being sold by herbalists, and as far as I'm aware, many players I know simply purchase barkskin potions from NPCs. I understand the viewpoint that Druids should be the ones with the only access to casting +5 barkskin, but I also see how herbalists could stand to benefit from a change as well. I see quite a few more herbalists than Druids, so other players could stand to benefit more if there was more incentive to brew barkskin potions that stood out from those sold by NPCs currently. As aprogressivist points out, there are already quite a few means to buff AC any other caster would be able to, and I don't see the extra +1 AC currently offered only by a level 13+ Druid casting barkskin as a major incentive for playing Druids either.

In sum, I wouldn't mind seeing herbalists able to brew +5 AC barkskin potions, or changing the required regiments as suggested in the OP to give herbalists more incentive to brew barkskin potions as they currently are. Having said that, I say again I am not particularly attached to seeing any changes made (I'm selfish!), but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
The complaint that I have is that you need four parts to make one points. Each part takes up 4 squares of inventory not one like most herbs. So, this is a lot of space taken up just to make one potion. On top of that getting the components are rare. There is only one place I know where they spawn at. I been checking for about 4 days or so and still haven't run any to test with. I would like it to be a 1 or maybe 2 parts per attempt to make a potion.

As far as +5 barkskins, I doubt they will be in. Too powerful considering the server. 

andrew_novak

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
If not changing the potion how about adding another location to hunt down the sap.

KBlackwell

• Undead Slayer
  • Back, after 10 years
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
I always thought it would be nice if the potions.. weren't spells.  For instance, maybe they temporarily add saves or ability or ward damage, like spells, without being the actual spell themselves.  Even if they're practically identical to spells, the magic level would drop, because they're potions with magical properties, not potions that are magic spells.

Instead of a barkskin potion, for instance, you'd have a potion of +1 to +5 natural AC.  It's practically identical to barkskin, without being all magical and spell-like.
Adelaide D'Amore - Deceased.
Sylveen Cassowary - Active