You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: DND and Guns  (Read 10508 times)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: DND and Guns
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
exctly apro thats why i dislike the port ooc wise  tad to modern in my eyes but its cannon   thus i simply avoid the port as much as possible  there are so many other places to go and luckely flintlocks arnt allowed in barovia    doesnt mean you cant get shot  it does mean there can be actions taken against them.

also blue commonnnnnnnnnn   play nice
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »
Uh, I am playing nice? I'm not getting defensive, but I dislike it when people make blanket statements like "this ruins D&D!" when it's not a universal thing at all.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »
I agree that guns detract from the feel of D&D in a generic campaign, but enhance the feel of Ravenloft. People often think the setting is all about horror & fear, but forget about general "wierdness" that is the core & it islands.   Different culture levels laying slap bang next to each other.

One of my favorite characters from our old campaign was a pistoleer, I trawled the 2nd eddition player Option book for every advantage I could muster, he could fire 2 pistols in a single round, would score critical hits most of the time causing massive dammage.  I can still remeber he once notched up an impressive 130 points of dammage from a single shot.

Of course he couldn't dammage lycans, incorpreal undead, skeletons only took half dammage and so on.   The point of playing him wasn't his combat effectiveness (he was useless otherwise), but the fact that he reinforced what a strange world my companions had stumbled into.  More so the fact that this pinnacle of technology that could easily kill any one else in the party at range was completely ineffective against the terrors of the night.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »
1) Make a party of four DEX-based fighters using guns
2) Give them capes of the fire bath/hazlani rings of protection
3) Powerlevel them to about level 8-9
4) Kill all the primitives using backwards weaponry by all firing on one target at a time
5) ???
6) Profit

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 02:54:17 AM »
I also dislike something, which are false accusations.

And you really should stop assuming everyone must play the game the way you do.

I generally wont allow them.

Anyhow, I wont try to convince you that you were being defensive or not.

I've given my spew of my thoughts on this topic, so I won't derail it any further.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Valiant_Destiny

• Outlander
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 02:58:12 AM »
I think its an integral part of the Ravenloft Campaign setting.  It was under the title "new weapons", who doesnt like new weapons?  Pages 56 and 57 Ravenloft Campaign setting is all about guns, powder bombs and clocks.  

Actually id kinda like to see the "Parthian Rapier"  It was a rapier with a pistol attached to the hilt, on a successful hit you could fire the pistol as a free action.  :shock:

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »
I have always thought they were fun In game but its funny how we can only have characters from the 1500's or earlyer and the flintlock was invented in the 1600. ;)

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Badelaire

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
I think 1650AD was the real world comparison cut off point. And anachronisms abound in fantasy, it's just one of those things.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
I think 1650AD was the real world comparison cut off point. And anachronisms abound in fantasy, it's just one of those things.

Also, Characters are allowed to have their origin be from the Eberron setting so Technically the 'tech limit' really does not exist. You just can't have any of the fancy post 1650ish tech on your person when you enter Ravenloft, successfully re-invent once you are in Ravenloft, and or play as a warforged.... things like that. Unless perhaps until a new domain is created by the Dark Powers based on Eberron.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
The flintlock wasn't even the first of successful firearms in history anyway. Matchlock and Wheellock rifles and hand-cannons were in production during the 1500s. The snap matchlock was actually in use before the 1500s, even.

Just my two cents I guess. :P

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »

Guns don't contribute to DND.  They kill it and end it.
This is what I took issue with; it is not a statement of personal taste, but a statement of universal quality. No false accusations were made by me.

Geiger

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
I don't get why people are all poo-poo dilly over guns in DnD - they're done in the same way as every other ranged weapon and don't 'kill people in one shot' like they did in real life, like any missile weapon in DnD. (Unless its some broke ass low HD goblinoid.)

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
I don't get why people are all poo-poo dilly over guns in DnD - they're done in the same way as every other ranged weapon and don't 'kill people in one shot' like they did in real life, like any missile weapon in DnD. (Unless its some broke ass low HD goblinoid.)

+1 

It's not like there is a small army of African children running through the streets with them.  I think that the people that dislike this simply dislike it because they KNOW they are out there somewhere,  rather than they actually see them all the time.  And I have not personally used a gun,  but I was told they are pretty combat ineffective vs the other ranged weapons.  Basically it is a fancy sling that you have to reload yourself?  But like I said,  never used one, so that is just what I have heard and not to be taken as fact.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »

This is what I took issue with; it is not a statement of personal taste, but a statement of universal quality. No false accusations were made by me.

To Airengale:  I appreciate your coming to my defense.  I really do.  But it is true, I could have phrased some of the things I said to leave more room for contrary opinions.

To Blue:  I don't mean to intentionally close the door on other people's opinions.  While I admit that some parts of my posts might not seem that way, I did say in so many words in other places that I understand the limits of my own perceptions, and that I was done with the subject having got what I had to say "off my chest," as they say.  I do apologize for ruffling feathers with the way I phrased what I said.

Could we please all three of us let each other off the hook on this one?  :)  (Not that either one of you were ever "on the hook" to begin with, with me.)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
I play Eberron characters and I have many source books on Eberron.

In that campaign magic is technology.  As I said before, they have airships and  a train system (the Lighting Rail). They have other things as well, like magical identifiction papers with pictures. Warforge, that is a whole ball of wax there. Dragonshards and their many uses.

It would be cool to have a land from Eberron, but I don't think it is cannon. Eberron was created after Ravenloft.

If you have any questions about the Eberron Setting, go ahead and ask. I know a great deal, and you can make some very interesting and unquiet characters that you wouldn't find in Forgotten Realms.

Example

Aerenal Elf, They worship their dead ancestors and preserve them. They use necromancy to to raise them as deathless (positive energy). So, a total different look at death than your typical Faerun elf.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »

To Airengale:  I appreciate your coming to my defense.  I really do.  But it is true, I could have phrased some of the things I said to leave more room for contrary opinions.

To Blue:  I don't mean to intentionally close the door on other people's opinions.  While I admit that some parts of my posts might not seem that way, I did say in so many words in other places that I understand the limits of my own perceptions, and that I was done with the subject having got what I had to say "off my chest," as they say.  I do apologize for ruffling feathers with the way I phrased what I said.

Could we please all three of us let each other off the hook on this one?  :)  (Not that either one of you were ever "on the hook" to begin with, with me.)
Yeah no worries. :)

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

Sure, Hehe :P

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
I used to vehemently dislike the idea of guns in a fantasy setting. Then someone came and put out a proposal for RPing flintlocks and the whole process behind it, and I realized I was thinking about guns in a modern way. I never stopped to consider historic gunpowder use.

Dark Locust

• Outlander
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
Guns in fantasy settings can be pretty awesome, with the case of Eberron I wouldn't be surprised if they invented firearms which used magic instead of bullets.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 12:42:53 AM »
I like having the guns in game and it all was got my heart racing when i would pass a garda with 10 pistols in my inventory praying he wouldnt search me. Also mad respect to DM Seraphim for the Dementaliusan war event.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
exctly apro thats why i dislike the port ooc wise  tad to modern in my eyes but its cannon   thus i simply avoid the port as much as possible  there are so many other places to go and luckely flintlocks arnt allowed in barovia    doesnt mean you cant get shot  it does mean there can be actions taken against them.

also blue commonnnnnnnnnn   play nice

Honestly Ravenloft has always struck me as sort of a patchwork quilt of conflicting homages to numerous horror settings. Its really best and safest if you look at the setting very obliquely otherwise it begins to make even less sence than a typical fantasy setting which has to have some kind of internal consistency with itself at least.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
I love guns being in a fantasy setting. You know what I love more than guns? More guns. Pew pew pew! Also cannons! THOOM

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
I love guns being in a fantasy setting. You know what I love more than guns? More guns. Pew pew pew! Also cannons! THOOM

:dancing:

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
we need a deathstar
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
I loved Arcanum because it was in a Victoiran setting and included steampunk technology, including guns, as well as magic.  You could make a tech character, a magic character, or a combination.

For fans of medieval history, I really enjoyed the novels "Pillars of the Earth" and "Name of the Rose".  Both are great and both are packed with historical details.  "Name of the Rose" especially was a totally engrossing read, really recommend it.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne