You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Character AI using consumables  (Read 1333 times)

Tyras

• Dark Lord
Character AI using consumables
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
I had no idea that this could be done, but apparently you can issue commands to your character in the same way you would a familiar.

I had never summoned my familiar before and in a dull period of play with no RP going on or anything I figured I'd head over to the cave near the Vistani camp and summon him and let it run around and kill the little goblin things in there.

When I entered the cave I was quickly surrounded by the things and summoned my familiar.  I made to order it to defend me, but some how I issued the order to myself.  My character then wnet about casting spells and even used an animate dead scroll I had been saving to add to my spell book.

Character AI whether issued commands or under the influence of charm type spells should not use consumables.  I did not want to waste that scroll, and yet the AI decided it would be for the best.  :x

Anna_Patrovich

• New to the Mists
Re: Character AI using consumables
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
Yes this tends to happen, the AI kicks in immediatly on fighting.. especially in pvp... i noticed this and it tends to use scrolls etc when left alone... i have to click off... this is not easy to control as several times i have ended up hitting people accidently due to the AI.

Blackthorn51

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
I've never seen any AI on my character beyond 'sword swinging.'

Sounds more like maybe you misclicked something and combined with a bit of lag caused a delay that appeared as A.I?  This has occurred to me a time or two...  Otherwise yeah...  I was unaware our character A.I.  had an INT score above 3.  All mine ever does is "Well, my player isnt here and there's a werewolf attacking me.  Lemme flip a coin.  Heads, I stand still and die.  Tails I swing back at it." lmfaoo

Anna_Patrovich

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
No, it happens 100% of the time... if there is hostile players about me (which due to my erm faction)  all players are hostile, when a fight happens and a player falls the AI takes over... pulls scrolls, swaps weapons (have fired off scrolls in my backpack (and i am not even a mage))  it has most of time swapped my weapons from nothing to sword and too bow without me even clicking anything.

For me it has not happened with monsters... but then i rarely ever actually fight them so unsure if it happens then.  Only happens for me when more than 1 player close.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
you should really start to worry when mother walks into the broad daylight without any reason.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
something similar happened to me recently, only for me I had 1 remaining potion in my possession I was saving for the big "oh-shi.." times... a potion of Cure Critical Wounds.  I got nailed with a confusion effect by an umber hulk, and despite only being Barely Injured, my toon went and drank it like I was in danger of dying in another hit.  It was inconvenient, but I accept it as a necessary evil. 

I don't think the AI should do such things when your in control of the PC, but if your mind is not your own (confused/charmed) then it is a perfectly acceptable risk you take carrying it around.  What might be worth considering is making sure the AI doesn't try to use items in storage, which would give us a means of preventing scrolls we want to learn later from getting used.

Sage - When stories come to life

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
something similar happened to me recently, only for me I had 1 remaining potion in my possession I was saving for the big "oh-shi.." times... a potion of Cure Critical Wounds.  I got nailed with a confusion effect by an umber hulk, and despite only being Barely Injured, my toon went and drank it like I was in danger of dying in another hit.  It was inconvenient, but I accept it as a necessary evil. 

I don't think the AI should do such things when your in control of the PC, but if your mind is not your own (confused/charmed) then it is a perfectly acceptable risk you take carrying it around.  What might be worth considering is making sure the AI doesn't try to use items in storage, which would give us a means of preventing scrolls we want to learn later from getting used.

Store your important, single use items in the Vallaki Warehouse, today! (charges apply)